Short Pips Question among the professional players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I have been an attacking "smooth rubber" player for some time now and have recently moved to short pimples on the backhand. I have a few questions:

1) What are specific tactics (or set-plays) which players with short pips try to implement?
2) What short pip rubbers do the top players use? Any examples?
3) how does the technique differ for playing with short pips compared to smooth

Is there a short pimples rubber that stands out from the rest?

This user has no status.
Im playing Tibhar Speedy Soft. And i can give you some hints because i did the same transition. What will be your biggest task is to accept that you have pips now and for that, that you can be succesfull you need to implement the strenght of the pips in your game. What means that your backhand block and every variation of it has to be like breathing for you. The second thing what you will figure out fast is that you really dont want to chop short anymore with your pips because you will get fcked up by really nasty flip-shots. The technique doesnt differ at all, just what you're manly using is different. So your attacking game will be straight shots and not topspin anymore because you simply can smash everything. A really good thing is also that you can use holes in the topspin technqiue of your opponents fairly easy. Most players topspin is really good when it comes to foward spin or backspin, you know the "usual" things but oh dear if an empty ball just drops over the edge of the table or block ball comes suddenly soft and empty, you will enjoy the faces. Disadvantage: if you're good with your pips the people will fcking hate you :D. Mostly you have to figure out things of your own i think. Good starter short pips but nevertheless still competitive for higher league is for example the Tibhar Speedy Soft, if you are a speed freak you can buy DHS pips.

Last edited:
Reactions: rokphish and Suga D
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Butterfly Challenger is good, TSP Spectol Speed.

Short pips is usually good for changing the pace of the ball, combining different ball placements sometimes fast sometimes soft and moving between a quick ball and a dead ball.

A lot of short pips players will try and setup to receive a slow opening and then punch the ball. Usually you want to encourage weaker shots into your pips so making good deep and heavy pushes will either help you buy time to get around to your forehand or give you a slower spinnier ball to attack.

It also becomes easier to attack underspin balls using more hand speed rather than body.

I always find if I play with short pips (which I sometimes do when I'm coaching) that strokes need to be more short and concise in order to be effective.

Reactions: rokphish and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Thanks for the responses.

TT_Rogue - what do you mean by flip shots? Do you backhand "banana" flicks like Dimitri Ovcharov or something else? Do the pimples not make that easier since you can deal with the spin better....?

I've noticed two main shots... backhand punch fast... which is easier than with smooth since it handles the spin better. And, the "dead" block with no spin.... I've only just switched to pips but when this shot has worked its absolutely lethal.

Matt - how would you go about trying to get a "slow" opening? It does seem like a good tactic as can pressure the next ball... however, is it no also quite difficult to handle the very spinny shots with the pips?

Cheers, TTC

This user has no status.
I am learning am playing with short pips in my backhand since last September. It has been a hard season, without good results, and the reason is that such transition is not easy, it is not question of 1 month testing short pips rubbers, everything must change: your strategy, technique and tactics.

Short pips are designed for offensive style. If you master the technique by placing deep aggressive balls, you will realize that even these balls become deceptive weapons. However if you think that are good for top spin or chopping, go back for your pips-in rubber. If you can, take some lessons with somebody who knows about pips (even a long pips player can be useful to learn how to attack short or back spin ball with your pips).

When choosing the rubber, try something in between 1,6-1,8 mm, even if you have been using max sponge for pips-in rubber.

Transition can be done with spiny short pips ( not spiny as a pips-in rubber): Friendship 802-40 ara a good choice. Currently I am using Nittaku Beautry, very nice rubber!!! Other less spiny but more deceptive are Spectol.

I love this style, and I will not give up!! good results will come even the club mates do not think the same :)

Last edited:
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Matt - how would you go about trying to get a "slow" opening? It does seem like a good tactic as can pressure the next ball... however, is it no also quite difficult to handle the very spinny shots with the pips?
Cheers, TTC

Well the great thing about short pips is it's ability to take spin off the ball, it's all about getting the angle right and trajectory so you aren't giving an easy ball.

Takes quite a while to get the more touchy stuff right, opening soft just takes good touch and finding the right amount of acceleration to be able to keep the ball low and still get it over the net, so not slow but not too quick either.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Anyone know how Andro Blowfish compares to Spectol or the Friendship or DHS "spinnier" pips?

How does the thickness of the rubber affect the way the pips play?

Has anyone tried "boosting" the pips? What affect does that have? (I obviously wouldn't boost...just interested ;p )

This user has no status.
The thickness should be less than inverted, because you hit the ball, the surface used in the impact is higher than when you spin the ball. People say that less sponge is equivalent to more deception, but personally I play always with 1,8mm, therefore I am not able to prove that theory. Because of that, I would say that boosting would be useless, however I have never tried. I club mate plays with Andro Blowfish and it seems a good short pips rubber, he can perform spinny serves and it is fast enough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I read that Ai Fukuhara uses some type of Armstrong Attack 8 m. Or she has used that rubber at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
I recently played with some DHS short pips and noticed that you could get quiet alot of spin into serves and loops. Id say it was about 10% less spin tho and a little more comfortable for hitting but not by alot. I also played against a SP player who could push with lots of backspin :O

I am a bit confused now, some time ago i thougth short pips just take out the spin...