Two lefty combination in a Doubles match

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hi Community members,

Can you please share your experiences and tips on how two left-handed players can become an effective winning combination in doubles. I have chance to partner with a very good player in doubles, but the issue is that we both are left-handed. During our match play, we were facing lots of awkward situations during our movement in rallies, where we are moving in front of each other and hence blocking the view of the other person. Does anyone of you have faced a similar situation and how do you resolve it? What is the movement pattern when both the partners are left handed.

Thank you for your help as always.

~KM1976

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
one of you should be comfortable with using the backhand. either that, or you must learn to rotate efficiently.

if you rotate, it is clockwise.
it is basically a circle. not very complicated.

you can choose to move in a diagram like this

table
. . . | must prepare backhand
. . . v
this is only going to work for the first few balls. afterwards, you adapt. this favors one close table player and one midndistance player. this movement seems okay if the one close to the table cannot move much.

if you dont want to block each other at all, dont rotate. do this

table
_________
. . ^ ^
. . / . . \
. ./ . . . \

this is exactly the same as the lefty righty movement. one of you will have to abandon your corner and start using more backhands. basically, the lefty on the left becomes a righty.

the diagrams are pretty bad, ill draw better ones later

you take turns covering the table. the one more comfortable with backhand should take the position on the right.
ideally, the lefty on the left should know the crossover step footwork well so that they can cover the far right corner. also, the lefty on the right should make shots going to right corner (the place where you serve to in doubles) so that the lefty on the left wont be too far out of position. the lefty on the left should try to hit towards the left corner so that the lefty on the right wont be out of position

all in all, one of you will have to have a decent backhand, and one of you will have to know how to crossover step. the crossover step player should be using a lot of forehand shots (that would be me! :) crossover step is fun). ideally, you both aim for the best corner. if the lefty on the left tries to hit a forehand cross court, the lefty on the right should get ready to run and crossover. when the lefty on the left serves, the lefty on the right should make sure to cover the far corner. lots of people will aim there.

the last one is seems preferable, since one of you wont have to change your doubles movement. only the lefty on the left will have to do things differently.

i dont know what level you guys are playing at, but this is what generally happens for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo and KM1976
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
one of you should be comfortable with using the backhand. either that, or you must learn to rotate efficiently.

if you rotate, it is clockwise.
it is basically a circle. not very complicated.

you can choose to move in a diagram like this

table
. . . | must prepare backhand
. . . v
this is only going to work for the first few balls. afterwards, you adapt. this favors one close table player and one midndistance player. this movement seems okay if the one close to the table cannot move much.

if you dont want to block each other at all, dont rotate. do this

table
_________
. . ^ ^
. . / . . \
. ./ . . . \

this is exactly the same as the lefty righty movement. one of you will have to abandon your corner and start using more backhands. basically, the lefty on the left becomes a righty.

the diagrams are pretty bad, ill draw better ones later

you take turns covering the table. the one more comfortable with backhand should take the position on the right.
ideally, the lefty on the left should know the crossover step footwork well so that they can cover the far right corner. also, the lefty on the right should make shots going to right corner (the place where you serve to in doubles) so that the lefty on the left wont be too far out of position. the lefty on the left should try to hit towards the left corner so that the lefty on the right wont be out of position

all in all, one of you will have to have a decent backhand, and one of you will have to know how to crossover step. the crossover step player should be using a lot of forehand shots (that would be me! :) crossover step is fun). ideally, you both aim for the best corner. if the lefty on the left tries to hit a forehand cross court, the lefty on the right should get ready to run and crossover. when the lefty on the left serves, the lefty on the right should make sure to cover the far corner. lots of people will aim there.

the last one is seems preferable, since one of you wont have to change your doubles movement. only the lefty on the left will have to do things differently.

i dont know what level you guys are playing at, but this is what generally happens for me.

thank you, I really appreciate your time and effort to help me out!