Building a table.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
This thread is all I managed to dig up when searching for some guidance on table top paints.

I know the table "(..) playing surface shall be uniformly dark coloured and matt, but with a white side line, 2cm wide, along each 2.74m edge and a white end line, 2cm wide, along each 1.525m edge."

Now I'm about to restore our tables. Dents and scratches to repair, mostly. I plan to fill up damaged areas with woodfiller, polish gently, and then either touch up the restored spots or paint the entire table.

My searches have borne little fruit. Apparently, a Stiga Touch-Up Paint "Pen" (not my quotes) exists; a single shop has it, and it's expensive and available in green and blue -- but there's green and green, and blue and blue, of course.

Some DIY forums write about using "alkyd, or chalkboard, paint for the surface" of BYO ping pong tables. I suspect chalkboard paint might just be too grippy, but then again, a matt varnish might solve that problem.

Alkyd paint might be the way to go. Experiences in this area, anybody?

Lookup the ITTF handbook. The only specs that I can think of are the dimensions, marking and how much the ball should bounce when dropped from a certain height. I don't think the paint will influence the bounce much, so pretty much anything that makes sense should work.

Julian