Switching from LP's to inverted (chopping)

says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
What Aida aid to Nuke Skywalker is pretty much in line with what I was thinking regarding switching from LP's to inverted; just to give a bit more attacking options on the BH. But having said that, Aida does seem to miss a fair few of the inverted chops, so maybe the chopping ability is sacrificed.

Funny to see this old thread years later. Satoshi has improved greatly and I think he's chosen the right equipment. The "Why" everyone is asking here is that LPs do not always command respect against certain players. Many people know quite well how to play LPs or are flat low-spin players. Inverted forces spin into the game. Twiddling works, but you'll always be caught on the wrong side of a twiddle which makes you less consistent when that happens. It's just a choice. His backhand loop is his best weapon and phenomenal! Really something to behold.

Since then I played double inverted for almost 2 years as a chopper. I recently went back to pips to try it out again, and now I'm in limbo about where to go. My BH is far better than my FH on offense.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Now I am strangely tempted to dress up one of my spare Defplays with a Reflectioid on BH to see what it feels like...
I have done that. I have a Defplay. I have tried many rubbers on it. Of all of then only the Dawei 388 quatro, TSP P-4 and P-1R were really any good for me. Playing with invertedwill work with practice but even the Reflectoid or Submarine will react more to incoming spin so one needs to be good at compensating for the differences top spin. I see no advantage in chopping with this rubber but they do allow one to play a closer to the table BH attacking game but it is hard to hit past good players with Reflectoid or Submarine. I am sure it will work fine at lower levels.

OP, have you considered twiddling in order to add oomph to your BH attack? Learning to hit with LP is an appealing option too (at least to me).
Bingo! We have a winner of an idea here. I twiddle but I can also hit well with P-1R or P-4 . I had P4 before the P1-R
Twiddling is the key for when the opponent is too cautious and if you can't step around to hit the ball with your FH.
My practice partners always complain about my hitting with LPs. Their balls usually go into the net.