Back to Forum
Page 546 of 548 FirstFirst ... 46446496536542543544545546547548 LastLast
Results 10,901 to 10,920 of 10959
  1. Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 515 797
    Gozo's Avatar
    Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 797 515
    #10901
    This evening during my coaching session I did for the first time this drill which I find it to be most awesome. It goes like this, which is a set basically:

    1. Coach serve a short underspin to my FH side and I have to step in to push it back.
    2. He then push a long underspin ball to my BH side which I must open up using BH loop.
    3. He then blocks it randomly to either my BH or FH which will commence the FH & BH drive until the one of us wins the point.

    I find this drill to be most satisfying and really build my confidence. I luv it!

    The Following 4 Users Like Gozo's Post:

    latej, OldschoolPenholder and 2 others

    Last edited by Gozo; 07-02-2022 at 12:11 PM.

  2. latej is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 319 534
    L
    latej is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 534 319
    #10902
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozo
    This evening during my coaching session I did for the first time this drill which I find it to be most awesome. It goes like this, which is a set basically:

    1. Coach serve a short underspin to my FH side and I have to step in to push it back.
    2. He then push a long underspin ball to my BH side which I must open up using BH loop.
    3. He then blocks it randomly to either my BH or FH which will commence the FH & BH drive until the one of us wins the point.

    I find this drill to be most satisfying and really build my confidence. I luv it!
    Coincidentaly I practise (and practised yesterday evening) the almost exact same drill on the robot.

    1. short underspin serve to FH
    2. very long underspin to FH, so that I am forced to jump back
    3. fast block (drive) to FH or middle

    And the BH side variation

    1. short underspin serve to BH
    2. very long underspin to BH, so that I am forced to jump back, and in my case I pivot
    3. fast block to table middle

    If I play this with setting 65 balls/minute, it is quite fast. If I don't jump/go back enough, make enough space on the BH side (during pivot, make space with left leg going wide), I still can play the FH topspin somehow. (So called beggar shot.) But it is slow and I am not in a good balance, and I miss the 3rd ball. So this forces me to really make enough space, finish in good balance to be able to follow with the 3rd ball.

    I want more of such drills.

    The Following User Likes latej's Post:

    OldschoolPenholder


  3. Richie is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 681 370
    R
    Richie is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 370 681
    #10903
    Some highlights from yesterdays training match. I tend to have some pretty epic matches against my teammate/friend here. We practice a lot together and I don't kill the ball that well which makes for some long rallies sometimes 😄.

    The Following 4 Users Like Richie's Post:

    Gozo, latej and 2 others


  4. OldschoolPenholder is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,752 1,821
    OldschoolPenholder's Avatar
    OldschoolPenholder is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,821 2,752
    #10904
    Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl

    I know too many Richards.....And Eddie, I think I know who you mean as well. Super nice and beautiful PH FH. Lots O' Side Spin.

    Ages ago you mentioned he coached you briefly, or you took a lesson from him once., perhaps at one of Robert Chen's old clubs, in or near Chinatown? I'll send you a pic of him.

    Will send pic of Eddie as well.

    New mantra: I should rather return one more ball and maybe get killed than kill myself and not make the shot.

    --------------------------------------
    https://vimeo.com/user56649342
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClR...u057SJTKL4O9Og

  5. OldschoolPenholder is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,752 1,821
    OldschoolPenholder's Avatar
    OldschoolPenholder is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,821 2,752
    #10905
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie
    Some highlights from yesterdays training match. I tend to have some pretty epic matches against my teammate/friend here. We practice a lot together and I don't kill the ball that well which makes for some long rallies sometimes 😄.

    Sir,

    I am sure in the past I've asked this before... will repeat... 9 points please! LOL at me

    You both are awesome to watch! Thank you for sharing!

    The Following 3 Users Like OldschoolPenholder's Post:

    JeffM, NextLevel and 1 other

    New mantra: I should rather return one more ball and maybe get killed than kill myself and not make the shot.

    --------------------------------------
    https://vimeo.com/user56649342
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClR...u057SJTKL4O9Og

  6. OldschoolPenholder is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,752 1,821
    OldschoolPenholder's Avatar
    OldschoolPenholder is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,821 2,752
    #10906
    Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl
    Handle looks cracked, plies separating.....

    Sent pix to you, will also tell you possibly why my friend bought that despite the cracks.

    New mantra: I should rather return one more ball and maybe get killed than kill myself and not make the shot.

    --------------------------------------
    https://vimeo.com/user56649342
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClR...u057SJTKL4O9Og

  7. Richie is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 681 370
    R
    Richie is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 370 681
    #10907
    Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolPenholder

    Sir,

    I am sure in the past I've asked this before... will repeat... 9 points please! LOL at me

    You both are awesome to watch! Thank you for sharing!

    Again, too many . Showing the highlights is a bit deceptive of me.. 😁. Glad you enjoyed!!

    The Following 2 Users Like Richie's Post:

    NextLevel and OldschoolPenholder


  8. OldschoolPenholder is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,752 1,821
    OldschoolPenholder's Avatar
    OldschoolPenholder is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,821 2,752
    #10908
    Despite the clip being the highlights only, it clearly shows your skill and consistency.

    Props and Respect!

    The Following 2 Users Like OldschoolPenholder's Post:

    NextLevel and Richie

    New mantra: I should rather return one more ball and maybe get killed than kill myself and not make the shot.

    --------------------------------------
    https://vimeo.com/user56649342
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClR...u057SJTKL4O9Og

  9. Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 515 797
    Gozo's Avatar
    Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 797 515
    #10909
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie
    Some highlights from yesterdays training match. I tend to have some pretty epic matches against my teammate/friend here. We practice a lot together and I don't kill the ball that well which makes for some long rallies sometimes 😄.

    Superb play Richie. Are you the player in black or red t-shirt?

    Either way, both the players are playing very very very high quality TT ( within amateur level ). I wish I could play like you guys.

    I have a question for you Richie. The player in black seems to prefer looping ( topspin ) most ball even when his opponent block the topspin shot. Wouldn't it be easier to drive-kill sometime refer to as smash the ball for an early point? That is what my veteran players in my club tells me. They said to me, why Gozo do you keep looping the ball, just go in for the kill already!

    NB: I am just plain curious and by no means am I critic your play style.

    The Following 2 Users Like Gozo's Post:

    OldschoolPenholder and Richie

    Last edited by Gozo; 07-03-2022 at 01:32 AM.

  10. OldschoolPenholder is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,752 1,821
    OldschoolPenholder's Avatar
    OldschoolPenholder is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,821 2,752
    #10910
    I recall Richie being a lefty but old man memory can be wrong.

    The Following User Likes OldschoolPenholder's Post:

    Richie

    New mantra: I should rather return one more ball and maybe get killed than kill myself and not make the shot.

    --------------------------------------
    https://vimeo.com/user56649342
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClR...u057SJTKL4O9Og

  11. Richie is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 681 370
    R
    Richie is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 370 681
    #10911
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozo
    Superb play Richie. Are you the player in black or red t-shirt?

    Either way, both the players are playing very very very high quality TT ( within amateur level ). I wish I could play like you guys.

    I have a question for you Richie. The player in black seems to prefer looping ( topspin ) most ball even when his opponent block the topspin shot. Wouldn't it be easier to drive-kill sometime refer to as smash the ball for an early point? That is what my veteran players in my club tells me. They said to me, why Gozo do you keep looping the ball, just go in for the kill already!

    NB: I am just plain curious and by no means am I critic your play style.

    Thanks Gozo! Yes I'm the leftie in black.

    Well spotted! I have always had some issues with high balls and it's true that I sometimes loop these when I should be doing something different.. but I'm not actually sure how to execute that technique. I have some idea but I struggle to do it, From what I've learnt from Brett I should kind of fold my torso so that I come down on the ball. But my muscle memory is so ingrained. My torso has always been quite static.

    This session I was trying to take the ball earlier against the lobs as I sometimes even lift these high balls which is no good.
    If you or anyone have some tips on how to execute the drive-kill technique I'm happy to hear it.. maybe with some experimentation I can get something to click.

    The Following User Likes Richie's Post:

    OldschoolPenholder


  12. Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 515 797
    Gozo's Avatar
    Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 797 515
    #10912
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie

    Thanks Gozo! Yes I'm the leftie in black.

    Well spotted! I have always had some issues with high balls and it's true that I sometimes loop these when I should be doing something different.. but I'm not actually sure how to execute that technique. I have some idea but I struggle to do it, From what I've learnt from Brett I should kind of fold my torso so that I come down on the ball. But my muscle memory is so ingrained. My torso has always been quite static.

    This session I was trying to take the ball earlier against the lobs as I sometimes even lift these high balls which is no good.
    If you or anyone have some tips on how to execute the drive-kill technique I'm happy to hear it.. maybe with some experimentation I can get something to click.

    Hi Richie,

    Since you asked, and I wish to make a disclaimer, Richie is a much higher level player than I am, but in the spirit of sharing I will say my piece here.

    But first allow me to show you two short video clip for illustration purpose:

    Video No. 1

    Video No. 2

    Commentary:
    Video No. 1 shows my kill-drive after a FH open up loop. My opponent blocks back high and I went for the kill-drive. Video No. 2 is similar but from a front angle.

    Just for sharing, I prefer to give myself ample space to get ready for a big arm swing. The contact is rather high, almost at the height of my shoulder and the bat angle extremely closed and is almost parallel with the table.

    I hope this is beneficial to you.



    The Following 2 Users Like Gozo's Post:

    OldschoolPenholder and Richie


  13. Richie is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 681 370
    R
    Richie is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 370 681
    #10913

    I see what you mean, so also on some pushes you mean I could go for a kill. I am struggling a bit with an injury in my right hip and also now knee and when I especially loop harder against backspin it feels worse after training. Like in the video below. So I've tried to avoid that movement. Could be a technical issue as well though. I guess on the higher balls I could follow through more on some shots, maybe I'm stopping my movement too much. But that would also make me recover slower for the next shot. Thanks for your feedback 😄

    The Following User Likes Richie's Post:

    OldschoolPenholder


  14. Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 515 797
    Gozo's Avatar
    Gozo is offline
    says May the Spin be with you!
     
    Senior TTD Member 797 515
    #10914
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie

    I see what you mean, so also on some pushes you mean I could go for a kill. I am struggling a bit with an injury in my right hip and also now knee and when I especially loop harder against backspin it feels worse after training. Like in the video below. So I've tried to avoid that movement. Could be a technical issue as well though. I guess on the higher balls I could follow through more on some shots, maybe I'm stopping my movement too much. But that would also make me recover slower for the next shot. Thanks for your feedback 😄

    Your shots in the video above are very powerful and looks like those executed by the Chinese elite players. However, if you say you are injured, perhaps these shots are not so great at your current state with injury especially these power loop-kill type.

    There are three loops seen at the 2mins 40 secs to 2mins 50secs duration that are very wonderful and looks much much less strenuous. You could perhaps go for these type for the time being. Also, these three loops look much more safer than the hard loop-kill ( in terms of percentage landing on the table ).

    To recap:
    1. These looks safer in terms of percentage landing on the table
    2. Less strenuous to the body ( knees )
    3. They are just as fast and spiny and dangerous to your opponent from my perspective. I mean they don't seem to loose their potency!

    The Following User Likes Gozo's Post:

    OldschoolPenholder

    Last edited by Gozo; 07-03-2022 at 11:46 AM.

  15. Richie is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 681 370
    R
    Richie is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 370 681
    #10915
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozo
    Your shots in the video above are very powerful and looks like those executed by the Chinese elite players. However, if you say you are injured, perhaps these shots are not so great at your current state with injury especially these power loop-kill type.

    There are three loops seen at the 2mins 40 secs to 2mins 50secs duration that are very wonderful and looks much much less strenuous. You could perhaps go for these type for the time being. Also, these three loops look much more safer than the hard loop-kill ( in terms of percentage landing on the table ).

    To recap:
    1. These looks safer in terms of percentage landing on the table
    2. Less strenuous to the body ( knees )
    3. They are just as fast and spiny and dangerous to your opponent from my perspective. I mean they don't seem to loose their potency!

    What a compliment lol. Yes later on in the video when I was feeling more tired I just tried putting it on the table with spin, which I guess is what I am trying to do more these days. But I hardly practice opening with FH anymore because of the injury. But right now the hip is not too bad so I think I will practice it again in some sessions.

    Also in that video I was using chinese rubber (Hurricane 8). It was fun to use but it was not good for my body at the time - though I don't think the injury came purely from TT. I have severely underestimated the importance of strength training, if I knew what I know now I would've cut down on practice and slowly started strength training. I'm doing rehab for the injury now though. Shame some lessons are learnt the hard way.

    The Following User Likes Richie's Post:

    OldschoolPenholder


  16. Lula is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,509 1,800
    L
    Lula is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,800 1,509

    User Info Menu


    Oct 2016
    Sweden
    1,800
    1,509
    4440
    Read 0 Reviews
    #10916
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie
    Some highlights from yesterdays training match. I tend to have some pretty epic matches against my teammate/friend here. We practice a lot together and I don't kill the ball that well which makes for some long rallies sometimes 😄.

    Your friend has such a fun way of playing! He plays like he is good at other racket sports? is he a tennis player aswell?

    I think you can win the ball easier if you change the tempo more. I think many players think it is good to play "hard" so you play hard all the time. After the hard stroke your friend finds a comfortable distance and can stay there forever haha. If you start playing like first hard 10, then hard 7 or hard 12 you will win the ball much easier.

    Keep up the good work!

    The Following 3 Users Like Lula's Post:

    NextLevel, OldschoolPenholder and 1 other


  17. Richie is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 681 370
    R
    Richie is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 370 681
    #10917
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula

    Your friend has such a fun way of playing! He plays like he is good at other racket sports? is he a tennis player aswell?

    I think you can win the ball easier if you change the tempo more. I think many players think it is good to play "hard" so you play hard all the time. After the hard stroke your friend finds a comfortable distance and can stay there forever haha. If you start playing like first hard 10, then hard 7 or hard 12 you will win the ball much easier.

    Keep up the good work!

    Yes, it makes for some fun games! He doesn't play tennis but he is good at padel and golf as well.

    The Following User Likes Richie's Post:

    OldschoolPenholder


  18. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,636 11,440
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,440 11,636

    User Info Menu

    #10918
    3 week post crash update.

    Previous MCL is now 2 weeks no pain, time to wear shoes. Did so last Friday, moved around court like a teenager first match. A very encouraging sign.

    Left shoulder is still very bad, injury next to a nerve, so you feel it other places. This stops my top end power/explosion, so I take it 50-60%. I can still go for spin, and do... when I hit out of zone or poor biomechanics, still instantly painful.

    The shoulder will take a few more weeks before I can begin to go for more power, will continue to be conservative and patient. Neck is still a pain in the neck.

    These kind of injuries are much slower to heal, and if you are older, more so. I am closer to 90 than I am to 18 in age. That sounds severe, but it is a true and profound statement.

    The Following 2 Users Like Der_Echte's Post:

    OldschoolPenholder and Takkyu_wa_inochi

    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  19. Littledragonman7 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 14 40
    L
    Littledragonman7 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 40 14
    #10919
    Quote Originally Posted by Der_Echte
    That is some serious dedication and a good example of how spread out TT action is in USA, a large country. Gene doesn't have an everyday club within a 3 hr drive I think. Many areas of USA like that right now.

    wow, that's dedication gene. i will stop complaining about my measly 50 min drive (one way) to-and-fro one of my three local clubs 🚗

    The Following User Likes Littledragonman7's Post:

    OldschoolPenholder


  20. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,675 9,277
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,277 13,675

    User Info Menu

    #10920
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie
    Some highlights from yesterdays training match. I tend to have some pretty epic matches against my teammate/friend here. We practice a lot together and I don't kill the ball that well which makes for some long rallies sometimes 😄.

    More bench squats, Rich!😜

    The Following 3 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

    OldschoolPenholder, Richie and 1 other

    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.