Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I would ice it after you are done playing , for 10-15 minutes just a a precautionary measure ...

Thanks for the feedback guys. So today I went to the uni club and had a hit, as it started running again after exams have finished.

I was quite worried that it may not end well for my finger, so I put 1-2 layer of coban bandage (non-adhesive to skin) around the joint, and just start playing slowly. After 30 min or so of hitting, it still felt fine, apart from the loss of touch and too many service errors from not playing for 3+ weeks.

Then I played a set of singles, and then played 3 matches of doubles, and no pain was experienced in that playing period of time.

It is looking good at the moment, but I will continue to monitor it as it may be worse tonight after I rest it.

Reactions: Suga D and JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
You nailed , but he won't do it , he likes to be in the mix and he is going through that "Nobody in the crowd recognizes my genius " phase , for all you know I have come across quite a few people who have been in that phase lifelong ... so I guess its okay , it takes five fingers to make a hand ... :) ... the only reason we keep on badgering him is sometimes he gives bad advise based on his theoretical understanding of the game , which has stopped doing , as long as he himself is the only one he is fooling, no harm done I suppose ...

Archo, why are you bothering putting yourself through all of this questioning of your motivations? Why not start a new thread, title it something like "Archo's Antics and Agonies" then include some real video of you playing real games with whoever you play with, and invite response? That way your rhetorical responses would be on topic and you might get some authentic help as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Archo, why are you bothering putting yourself through all of this questioning of your motivations? Why not start a new thread, title it something like "Archo's Antics and Agonies" then include some real video of you playing real games with whoever you play with, and invite response? That way your rhetorical responses would be on topic and you might get some authentic help as well.

You asked for real video of him playing other peoole...if he provided that on this thread he would be on topic...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You asked for real video of him playing other peoole...if he provided that on this thread he would be on topic...

Yep. That is a good part of the issue. The other part of the issue is him framing things, purposely to get some kind of reaction: a kick back.

Just look at how much bigger of an issue Jeff's finger is. How little of an issue Archo is. And how, the way he posts has caused much more time spent on Archo than on anything else. Which is why I did not make any comment on the table tennis (racket open/closed). And just went right at the dishonesty and the way he seeks out responses.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I played yesterday. I had a 2 week slump where I felt like playing as a beginner, but I'm recovering a bit. Yesterday i knocked with an old lady. She's not strong but she's a good hitting partner because she's good at her drills, notably hitting flat FH and thats exactly what i need because the most basic flat FH drill in diagonal is something that for years i wasn't able to do correctly with some bad habits well ingrained (which corrects a lot when i drive / add spin). Anyway i was happy to do those simple drills and see improvements here, due to a better technique, (better swing, good racket angle, better balance on the feet, lower body). Then 3rd ball attack drill: she returned my returns with a push, but she doesn't put much backspin so its easy for me to attack, but she's good at blocking, so it was very good practice. same for receiving, i could get some confidence with my chiquita return practising on her serves which were not very spinny. i was happy also about being able (at this lower speed) to come back after the short stroke (stop receive or chiquita) to execute a good block or an attack

Then i played with a much better player, a veteran i think he was a very good player when he was younger, because he's got really powerful drives on both wings (he's a penholder) and can do many times in a row. But his footwork is slow now. I could get some more confirmation that my BH block is one of my strong points, he was surprised at my quality of blocking. I have really improved this one recently. He blocked for me, and i started to have good sensations again for looping/driving, still i feel my pivot is not dynamic enough, especially when i'm too close to the table.

We played a game. that was the 3rd time i played against him. first time lost 1-3, second time lost 2-3. I went 2-0 ahead this time, but finally lost 2-3. i think I was a bit mentally weak in the second half of the game, and i lack a strong / high percentage combo to close a set / a game.

He told me also I should change my mindset when i serve. Don't think about putting too much spin on my serve but just put variation, keep the ball low and short, and be ready to play the next ball all the time.

A bit disappointing as really he has difficulties to move, so I should be able to win this kind of player, even if they have good technique. but still rather happy as i played rather positively overall.

This user has no status.
Well, losing is the way to learn and improve, i played with many players, i may lose to lower level players and i may win over someone as good as me or slightly better, but at the end i find out that my way of winning is by their mistakes, and my all loses is because of my mistakes.

Before yesterday on Friday i joined that open tournament in the academy i play in often, i registered for Class C which is for Beginners only, and to my surprise they weren't beginners at all, but sure they are less than Class A and slightly same or less than class B, so i was in a group, and to my surprise all the players in my group were using pips out rackets, and so did i, but i lost to all of them except one who were the least of us, so it means i am also not good enough at all.

The first 2 players i was fighting, it was best of 3 games, i lost to them 2-1, my game was only defense, and the first player was tough because he was defensing very strong, and my attack wasn't good with my pips racket, and the second players was an attackers, and to my surprise i got points from him mostly from his too many misses in attacking, but i lost because i made more mistakes, i wasn't trained enough with those defensive rackets, but they all used those pips rackets so they can defense and lessen the damage.

The third player i won easily 2-0 and they all did over him, then it was too late because the 2 players qualified already from the group so i didn't play well against the last player or say gave up and lost 2-0, the first player at the end got the third place in the class.

So, from what i see from that tournaments, i have the skills but not the mindset, and my hesitation is my big enemy, i should attack and take risks more often, and i know i am not trained for sure, but others aren't less then me, i have to work more on my footwork and my mindset and my hesitation, i just said before that in tournaments i don't feel comfortable and i always worry about lose and win, so i can't play my best game, i am sure the one who is weak and i beat him when alone can beat me in any tournaments, the noise and crowded always giving me that difficult time, even my breath is bad, so it is not all about skills or techniques that i lack off, but some kind of mental effect on my physical body, i hate noises and i am very nervous or so embarrassing in crowded, so even if i trained well with a coach then i have to treat my other problem.

Now i focus more in playing more and enjoy, next year soon i will stop being a member in that academy, but then i will put the payment of renew towards coaching only, then later in the future once i am ready with techniques then i will work on the other issue.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Players that are at a decent level set up their points and win their points with good tactics. If you don't know how to set yourself up to get the first attack then everything else is kind of like hoping. If you are playing with pips and don't really know how to use them, that is also kind of like hoping.

And it is true, at low levels, more points are lost by mistakes than are won through aggressive play. But at higher levels that switches around.

Also, it is worth knowing that, in a racket sport like tennis or table tennis, what you can do has a lot to do with what an opponent allows you to do.

When you play with someone better than you the opponent could let you play and not mess you up with variations. Or the opponent can make you mess up over and over by the quality of their shots and their spin.

I can't tell you how many times I have played certain guys who are basement level and don't realize they are not good where the person says, something like:

"I'm just not playing well. That is why you beat me 21-3 or 11-1, 11-2, 11-1. It is because I am playing badly."

"How were you playing before you played me?"

"That's the thing, a moment ago I was playing well against Jim."

"But I am a lot better than Jim!"

"I'm just not playing well."

The person on the other side is much more important than a lot of lower level people realize. What the person on the other side does has everything to do with what you can do. So, in a sport like table tennis, a huge part of higher level play is watching and accurately seeing what the opponent does and adjusting to it and using it to your advantage.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I may lose to lower level players.

This could mean that they aren't actually lower level. Unless you were playing with a different grip, a different hand, or giving them a handicap of a 5 point lead, the winner is the better player.

I registered for Class C which is for Beginners only, and to my surprise they weren't beginners at all, but sure they are less than A and slightly same or less than class B

If their level is less than Class A, and less than Class B, then they are in fact in the right group when they play in Class C. It seems you may have been frustrated that there were players significantly better than you in the beginner playing class. Everyone will define a beginner differently.

If I'm talking to a professional, I'll tell them I'm just a beginner. This is because in my eyes, comparing myself to the a professional, I really am just a beginner. However, if I'm talking to some random person on the street and they ask me how good I am, while my primary response is "I dabble", I would often reply with something that says I'm good like telling them what kind of events I've won.

So, from what I see from the tournaments, I have the skills but not the mindset
How did you come to this conclusion? From what you wrote it seems the skills weren't there yet. Attacking skill lacked, and defense skill lacked. Those are the only skills you mentioned so I may be missing something.

even my breath is bad
Try gum, it will help the breath and calm nerves a bit too. (The nerves seem to be an issue you noticed)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Played some classic matches today. Also did battle with an old foe that OSPH will be happy to see. Got my highest rated scalp ever. Also played my longest deuce game ever. Had my first 0-11 game 5 loss ever. Yes it was a good day.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This could mean that they aren't actually lower level. Unless you were playing with a different grip, a different hand, or giving them a handicap of a 5 point lead, the winner is the better player.

If their level is less than Class A, and less than Class B, then they are in fact in the right group when they play in Class C. It seems you may have been frustrated that there were players significantly better than you in the beginner playing class. Everyone will define a beginner differently.

If I'm talking to a professional, I'll tell them I'm just a beginner. This is because in my eyes, comparing myself to the a professional, I really am just a beginner. However, if I'm talking to some random person on the street and they ask me how good I am, while my primary response is "I dabble", I would often reply with something that says I'm good like telling them what kind of events I've won.

How did you come to this conclusion? From what you wrote it seems the skills weren't there yet. Attacking skill lacked, and defense skill lacked. Those are the only skills you mentioned so I may be missing something.

Try gum, it will help the breath and calm nerves a bit too. (The nerves seem to be an issue you noticed)

It is like you just want to put words as you see, if i lose mean i am bad, if they win means they are better or good, so if Ma Long or Xu Xin lose they are bad, if you said different stories and excuses then i can't accept, anyone in the world can lose, and winning by skills and training is another story, but if someone is out of shape or form or mentally off then losing isn't impossible.

When i said the skills are there and mindset is not is because when i play someone who id beat me in the tournament in open game not official and not in crowded i manage to beat him, even if he is doing his best, and i am not alone there, even my friend i practice with, he is a member in the academy too for short time, he manage to beat most of players in class B and even beat very few players in class A, but when he play against them in the rumble that happens every friday he lose to most of them, another friday he beats them, he didn't reach the finals yet, but he told me he reached the quarter few times and the semi once, he even beat who won class B 2 times before.

Anyway, a solid player is a solid player, but even he can be defeated, i know the top two players in class A who are unbeaten, but they lose very very few times, so when they lose does that mean they are bad or lack skills?

Be logic, it is not all about winning and losing, and having skills doesn't mean we will be the world champions, but to know you position or level is not the whole story, and if i can play beautifully one day and beat some then suddenly i lose to most of them another day it doesn't mean i have that skills suddenly to play good in one day then nothing next day, sometimes focusing and be in shape is also important, but it sounds with you it is only techniques techniques, and if focus is gone then techniques are not exist anymore to your point.

I may not understand your point or you don't understand my point, but what i can say is beginner is subjective yes, but that doesn't mean what is beginner to me means it is beginner to you, simply beginner means who doesn't know how to hold the racket or even hold the ball or even doesn't know how to serve or even to return, but someone who knows how to loop and smash and drive and chop and defense long and call himself pure beginner it is a deception more than an honest, and how come if someone in class B lost to someone in class C and a player in class A lost to a player in class B? it is just miracle or just chaos?!!!

This user has no status.
Also, i am planning to get coaching next year, you all agreed it is a must to get higher level, then why not, i wasn't thinking about winning last year and this year, but sounds everyone here playing tennis is looking to get improved, i have no reason to play table tennis, just i like this sport, and getting a non free coaching just to play for fun isn't worthy, but sounds if i didn't get coaching and trying to give excuses here why i lost even i am not bad it won't work for you, so i will see if i get improved in the future and managed to win how worthy it is for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
For me regularity is a skill too, tourneys and practice matches or just matches are different. You just will be more comfortable playing competitive matches if you keep playing tourneys, doesn't have a drill to that.

But based on what you write I think it's not only a mindset problem, lacks skill too.

Sent from my 2014819 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shuki and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yo can you guys just chill down? Why are some people here trying so hard to spread bad vibes?

Buddy, got any daily chit chat to share? We have enough refs here that saw innings 1 through 8, no need to play umpire in inning 9.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015

When i said the skills are there and mindset is not is because when i play someone who id beat me in the tournament in open game not official and not in crowded i manage to beat him, even if he is doing his best, and i am not alone there, even my friend i practice with, he is a member in the academy too for short time, he manage to beat most of players in class B and even beat very few players in class A, but when he play against them in the rumble that happens every friday he lose to most of them, another friday he beats them, he didn't reach the finals yet, but he told me he reached the quarter few times and the semi once, he even beat who won class B 2 times before.

I may not understand your point or you don't understand my point, but what i can say is beginner is subjective yes, but that doesn't mean what is beginner to me means it is beginner to you, simply beginner means who doesn't know how to hold the racket or even hold the ball or even doesn't know how to serve or even to return, but someone who knows how to loop and smash and drive and chop and defense long and call himself pure beginner it is a deception more than an honest, and how come if someone in class B lost to someone in class C and a player in class A lost to a player in class B? it is just miracle or just chaos?!!!

Just a couple of points:

* When you were told 'Class C is for Beginners' it did not necessarily mean that you will only encounter beginners there. It means that Division C is an appropriate place for a beginner to play at. It means that in the opinion of the person who told you that, this is a good division for you - judging by the record, they were correct.

* Your level is determined by competition record. You might not like it and I get it - we all think we are better, based on how we perceive our own game and remembering all the times we beat all these players. Does not matter - you have to beat them when it counts, and it does not have to be beautiful either.

* As others pointed out already - while mental toughness and tournament experience matter, I would not discount possibility that skills are not there yet either. Don't have video to go by, but given your history with equipment, you probably have not mastered pips yet. It takes a while.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Played some classic matches today. Also did battle with an old foe that OSPH will be happy to see. Got my highest rated scalp ever. Also played my longest deuce game ever. Had my first 0-11 game 5 loss ever. Yes it was a good day.
Today I went 4-2 at the NJTTC Giant RR. It could have been 5-1 had I managed to beat Rich DeWitt up 2-1 but he won the 4th 11-9 and I lost the 5th without winning a point. But I also saved a match down 0-2 (thanks in part to the gracious manner of my opponent, who could have taken the match when a ball entered our court while I was taking my shot and I missed and offered the let. That one went 21-19 or 22-20 in the 5th as both of us missed shots on match point after match point). Also did some battle with OSPH's friend, MB. Was a bit shocked at how well he returned my serves but in the end, my spin and consistency won out.

My new best tournament win. I made a few close to the table counterloops and did my version of the Chinese pivot at 10:52.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015

0-11 losses are rare in the first place (I only had one so far), but in the 5th game? Man - that's tough (and much less likely, I would think...)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Here is my own 2 cents on nerves:

1. The biggest thing that helps nerves is understanding and accepting the strengths and limitations of your game. If you are trying to loop and smash with long pips without extensive training and coaching or are trying to smash low heavy backspin with inverted rubbers, you will almost certainly end up with a nervous game. Same thing if you do not accept that when playing a better player, unless the matchup is favorable, there are times when things will happen that you do not fully understand. There are a lot of tricks in this game that I can pull out vs players who are even within 200 pts on my level because I have worked with enough good coaches and exposed myself to enough styles that if I am thinking clearly, I can throw different things at my opponent.

2. This is the reason why structured training/coaching and practice is very important. If you understand what you have trained and how it relates to what you can do in matches, you can understand even better why you miss or make certain shots.

3. Many players at lower levels do not understand how many technical errors there are in their games. They often think they are missing shots because they choked or are nervous, but they don't realize that sometimes, your degree of consistency is tied to the quality of your technique. IF you work on the right technical shot, you just miss less. Sounds crazy but it is often that simple.

4. That said, it can be a powerful thing to have a consistently good shot that is not known technique. It might even be inferior technique, but through your practice, you have made it work. It will not make you world class, but for what you do, it might just confuse opponents. People who practice their table tennis tend to freeze when they see a shot they have not seen before or practiced against. Having non-standard shots makes this work to your advantage to the degree you can make it work at your level.

5. In the end, you just have to put in the hours and get the experience. Be humble - this sport is very hard and if it isn't hard to you, you just haven't put in the hours to get to the level where you have been challenged properly. IT's because of how technical the sport is that I try to share the few things I have learned from coaches over the last 5 years. When I started too, I used to think I was a choker, but over time, I learned to look at my technique and look at the opponent's technique and decide who deserved to win on the basis of technique and strategy after the matchups were done.

If you have solved the technical issues, then you can speak about mental issues etc. But 95% of what lower rated players call mental issues are really technical issues founded in not being able to play good strokes and read the ball properly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
0-11 losses are rare in the first place (I only had one so far), but in the 5th game? Man - that's tough (and much less likely, I would think...)
The match is online - Rich was just on fire and I had nothing left. All the tricks that worked up to the 4th game, he had adapted to all of them and I was too tired to do anything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Players that are at a decent level set up their points and win their points with good tactics. If you don't know how to set yourself up to get the first attack then everything else is kind of like hoping. If you are playing with pips and don't really know how to use them, that is also kind of like hoping.

And it is true, at low levels, more points are lost by mistakes than are won through aggressive play. But at higher levels that switches around.
To make this point clearer, when I was 1200, I never used to come back from 4-10 or 2-10 down, even against 500 players.

But when I got to 1900 approaching 2000, very often, I would play a 1700 player and be down 4-10. And in their heads, they assumed that the game was over, because they were used to the 4-10 lead being invincible and kept waiting for me to make a mistake. But at 1900, I had my play patterns set so you had to either disrupt them or introduce some risk into my play for me to miss. And if they thought I would just miss, they often lost eight straight points and wondered WTF happened.

So I tell players all the time - when you are up 10-4 against a higher rated player, especially if the higher rated player is serving, when it gets to 10-6 and it is your serve, don't just start waiting for a mistake because if you don't execute your plays and win before it is 10-8, you then have to face the player's training on his serves and once it is tied, you are screwed. So always continue to look for and execute things in your play book, no matter the score. That is what better players do and that is what you should be doing. And if you don't have a play book and are complaining about nerves, then you are complaining about the wrong things.