Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hit last night ... felt ok, didn't have a chance to really work on stuff i wanted to work on -- too many members.

Had a chance to hit with one of the coaches there for the first time. A few weeks ago, he watched me hit and gave me a tip on my TPB punch/block. Something I knew but forgotten over the years or a bad habit formed since my 'unretirement'. Good reminder/tip.

Last night, he watched me hit and gave me a tip on the RPB ... to add spin... i've been working my flat hit a la SH BH stroke and RPB block/punch since i started learning the RPB on my own. i still wanted to work this a bit longer. recently, monster advised at this point in my RPB, i should start spinning. Partner took a break and i hit with the coach. He needed to warm up, so light FH to FH ... then he started really ripping some of his FH flat hits, i may have surprised him with my somewhat consistent FH blocking. I am not going to lie, i felt the Tenergy FX-80 did ALL the work. I am happy with blocking, I am getting to a point I am used to the tensor rubber given I used to use tacky rubbers. I thinki I got used to MX-P also, the FX-80 seems a tad bouncier than MX-P for me.

He then started FH looping and slowly amped it up ... really like the FX-80, low trajectory blocks. FH blocked for ~10 mins, then he FH blocked for me. I started 2 flat hit strokes and then went into short stroke close to the table loop, slowly amping it up. He misjudged some of my loops and resorted to BH blocking from his FH side.

Then my friend K said i was hitting too long and i let him jump on.

Still slightly long on my short-stroke close to the table loop, but my stroke is much shorter than my long stroke away from the table loop ... as NL advised i need to meet the ball much sooner, still waiting for it to drop somewhat.

One of my mantras ...

"Progress not perfection."
~Denzel Washington as Robert McCall / The Equalizer (2014)

Keep doing the do DTT CCers!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
last night, 2 clubmates/friends wanted to check out a new club that opened. one of them knows one of the coaches there. so i tagged along.

had fun, i hit with the coach for a little, hit with my 2 clubmates a little.

then the coach asked me to hit with his student. she was very consistent and steady. she is SH and her FH is what i need to work on ... close-to-the-table, short stroke, each FH shot has a little sidetop spin, aggressive, not going 100%, but she kept at it, i FH blocked her ... i didn't try to FH spin too much with her .... sometimes i FH stroke/flat hit a little, but mostly FH block... we then BH to BH ... i TPB, did not try my unsteady RPB with her ... then she wanted to serve and volley. i pushed mixing in the modern pushing philosophy of back short and the middle as well as my oldschool angled pushing side-to-side. caught her a few times flatfooted. i was thinking serving nospin, but making it look like pendulum sidedown and pendulum down, ball popped up a few times and i flathit/smashed it. hindsight is 20/20, i should've tried to loop those balls, but the muscle memory in me went for the smash. on my pendulum downspin and sidedown, they were too long and she was able to BH looped them to my wide FH. Some she made, some she didn't... i was too slow to get over. gotta keep at working my footwork.

coach observed from the side and said for a player who didn't play for 30 years and only started playing again, i have a decent foundation. i thanked him and his student for the good practice.

EDIT: I'm not an EJ per se, i have used a few different setups, but i CANNOT describe what the rubbers and blades are like like true EJ ... she checked out the American Hinoki and hit with it a little. She commented that the wood was able to absorb some of the power of the hits... something to that effect. I mentioned the Tenergy rubbers, she said in 3 months they will be replaced, but the blade won't be and it's what's important and its qualities. LOL i have no idea what that means ... i only know with the setup as is now, both my FH/BH blocks against 70-100% shot are being returned with a fast and low trajectory. Truly think the rubber is doing all the work.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
I have to share guys..
Other than a great match, at 16:45 you can see a rally ended by around the net shot, nice one :)

Today I am uploading Sven Happek matches, full of great long lobbing rallies. Sven is expert for that, lol :)

Enjoy!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
I have to share guys..
Other than a great match, at 16:45 you can see a rally ended by around the net shot, nice one :)

Today I am uploading Sven Happek matches, full of great long lobbing rallies. Sven is expert for that, lol :)

Enjoy!

I have seen Sven Happek play in a Swiss tournament last year :) great fun! His backhand looks so unnatural >.<

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
hit for 2 hrs straight, was tired and ready to go home. worked with my regular partner, P, and we warmed up FH to FH, i also worked in my short stroke close to the table loop. Then we served and volleyed. i suggested to him that after the serve to try a controlled slow spinny loop... yeah it will be high, but with spin, it may not be as easy to hit. something that Der_Echte taught me, that i still can't quite get consistent, i rush myself and my shots explained to P that with his fast loop drives, which many missed, he may as well try this. at least get the 3rd ball to land. and after a bit, he understood what i was saying.

"Mommy" hit with me and after a bit, she served sidedown/down to me, i 2nd ball looped. made a little progress. but not steady yet. i tried to slow my stroke down but muscle memory took over and it was faster stroke.

about to go home. so tired.

a member took the table next and looking for a partner, my friend/clubmate "Mommy" egged me on to hit with him. she knew i was fatigued.

have 2 raw videos hitting with this last partner ... we had already been hitting for a few minutes before i thought to ask if i may video us. i have a lot to work on. i flat hit, i looped a little, i fh blocked. won't comment other than i was pretty tired already. we hit for 30 mins.

Have at me DTT CCers!

---------

for new CCers, i'm in black

https://youtu.be/y9ELQvj4xSQ

https://youtu.be/YmJ2ytiYX8Y

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
2nd game of the 2nd split yesterday. We won 9:1 and are fighting for first place in the league. Result was unexpectedly high but not undeserved. I am 10 points away from my all time high, up 60 points already from the QTTR. Backhand is going really well, but I noticed that I have problems with body tension when I block on my forehand.
I am best when I stand relatively close to the table, but I tend to make a high lop and get pushed back on that side.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Went to the club today for my usual lesson on Saturdays. I have tried maybe about 10 to 15 different rubbers from shortpips, tensors and chinese tacky rubbers. This will be the first time i will bash a rubber for not delvering on there promises. Most table tennis marketing will exaggerate but they will tend to deliver 70 to 80% of there promise. Here below are the lies.... i mean there marketing.

"The New Joola Golden Tango is made in Germany, combining the advantages of tacky upper rubber, usual characteristic of chinese rubbers, with the enormous elasticity and speed of a Tensor sponge. The tacky surface offers maximum grip thus enabling loaded topspin and undercut strokes at the most extreme blade angles. ......Blah Blah Blah just too much BS

Here is why i decided to try out this rubber. One of the coaches and pro player in my club were trying the Joola Golden Tango, its one of the new German made ESN rubbers with a slightly tacky rubber. Against the advice of the coach to not to try this rubber because its too hard. The hardness is 54 degrees. He even told me Wang Liqin never used such a hard rubber and Wang Liqin was a physically strong player and tended to use hard rubbers. But the stupid EJer in me needed to try it out. So i ordered a piece from a asian online store. I have officially blown about 31 USD not including shipping charges. This rubber is rock hard and you have to be a superhuman to engage the sponge. You just cannot engage the rubber and sponge when you loop or loop drive. The ball would dive into the net when looping, because the rubber is so hard. So my coach who i was taking a lesson today with decided to try it and he did not like it at all. But he did figure out how this rubber can work. Instead of looping or loop driving, you have to do the opposite. You engage the ball by flat hitting the ball and then drive it over the net in one stroke motion. This rubber also supposed to have chinese characteristics and have a ample amount of spin. This rubber does not even come close in the spin dept. I could get more spin using one of those $5 chinese rubber brands. I would never recommend this rubber even to my worst enemy. Maybe i should just give this rubber to OSP to screw with him...LOL

On a happier note since i couldn't forehand loop in my lesson today due to the crappy rubber, i worked more on my bh banana flip. Its getting better but very slowly. And also i got a gift from one of the coaches, they gave me a piece of the Dianchi Type D(another chinese H3 neo clone) and has good reviews from the online community. Now i have two new rubbers to try next week. Dianchi or Tibhar K1 pro? Hmmmm.:D

Pic of Dianchi Type D
Dianchi Type D.jpg

Last edited:
Went to the club today for my usual lesson on Saturdays. I have tried maybe about 10 to 15 different rubbers from shortpips, tensors and chinese tacky rubbers. This will be the first time i will bash a rubber for not delvering on there promises. Most table tennis marketing will exaggerate but they will tend to deliver 70 to 80% of there promise. Here below are the lies.... i mean there marketing.

"The New Joola Golden Tango is made in Germany, combining the advantages of tacky upper rubber, usual characteristic of chinese rubbers, with the enormous elasticity and speed of a Tensor sponge. The tacky surface offers maximum grip thus enabling loaded topspin and undercut strokes at the most extreme blade angles. ......Blah Blah Blah just too much BS

Here is why i decided to try out this rubber. One of the coaches and pro player in my club were trying the Joola Golden Tango, its one of the new German made ESN rubbers with a slightly tacky rubber. Against the advice of the coach to not to try this rubber because its too hard. The hardness is 54 degrees. He even told me Wang Liqin never used such a hard rubber and Wang Liqin was a physically strong player and tended to use hard rubbers. But the stupid EJer in me needed to try it out. So i ordered a piece from a asian online store. I have officially blown about 31 USD not including shipping charges. This rubber is rock hard and you have to be a superhuman to engage the sponge. You just cannot engage the rubber and sponge when you loop or loop drive. The ball would dive into the net when looping, because the rubber is so hard. So my coach who i was taking a lesson today with decided to try it and he did not like it at all. But he did figure out how this rubber can work. Instead of looping or loop driving, you have to do the opposite. You engage the ball by flat hitting the ball and then drive it over the net in one stroke motion. This rubber also supposed to have chinese characteristics and have a ample amount of spin. This rubber does not even come close in the spin dept. I could get more spin using one of those $5 chinese rubber brands. I would never recommend this rubber even to my worst enemy. Maybe i should just give this rubber to OSP to screw with him...LOL

On a happier note since i couldn't forehand loop in my lesson today due to the crappy rubber, i worked more on my bh banana flip. Its getting better but very slowly. And also i got a gift from one of the coaches, they gave me a piece of the Dianchi Type D(another chinese H3 neo clone) and has good reviews from the online community. Now i have two new rubbers to try next week. Dianchi or Tibhar K1 pro? Hmmmm.:D

Pic of Dianchi Type D
View attachment 15213

LOL....I think it's a good rubber for club level players like me=). It might work better with a more flexible blade...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

But he did figure out how this rubber can work. Instead of looping or loop driving, you have to do the opposite. You engage the ball by flat hitting the ball and then drive it over the net in one stroke motion. ...

Maybe i should just give this rubber to OSP to screw with him...LOL

OH MY GUOYUEHUA!!!

As if I don't have enough in my mind to screw myself up with!!!

This user has no status.
OH MY GUOYUEHUA!!!

As if I don't have enough in my mind to screw myself up with!!!

Dam it, this ones force is strong. I must inform my master and plan a more devious attack.:mad:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Some Baby Oil oughtta soften it up about 10 degrees...

Yes, i was thinking booster too. But the point is to find something close to H3 Neo without boosting. Maybe it s a lost cause. Its the same as finding a rubber close to Tenergy but there is only one Tenergy.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder