Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
I wonder how much are you changing you rubbers and how much do you play a week?

Im not sure if i should change my rubber, I train 4 times a week for around 2-3 hours and I've been using the same rubbers for about 4 months now. On first glance the rubbers seem fine, but sometimes I mishit forehands i should not. My other Theorie is that i lose confidence in my stroke, because i know the rubber may be worn out and I try to hit it differently... as NL would say I lose confidence in my spin!

Have you had similar experiences?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I don't know about others, my simple test is whether I am able to serve ghost serves with it , if I can't serve ghost serves , I change the rubber , it could be my technique but thats the best test I could come up with ...

Im not sure if i should change my rubber, I train 4 times a week for around 2-3 hours and I've been using the same rubbers for about 4 months now. On first glance the rubbers seem fine, but sometimes I mishit forehands i should not. My other Theorie is that i lose confidence in my stroke, because i know the rubber may be worn out and I try to hit it differently... as NL would say I lose confidence in my spin!

Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Yes , the idea being if you can create spin on a dead ball using gravity and your existing rubber, you should be able to create more spin when somebody is pushing or hitting topspin loops to you , because you have more incoming power to use .... I now its pretty simplistic , there being two contributing components other than your hand speed, the top sheet and the sponge ... so there is a chance either or both might be worn out and you might be able to make spin if either of them is still maintaining the qualities that you need to create spin .. but I feel all those factors over complicate ... another thing to note is that one of my coaches had told me that playing with older rubber improves touch ... so its not too bad of an idea to let it be there for a while till you are completely convinced they are dead as a dodo !

Hmm jea good idea, then it should still be working. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
I've moved back to Sweden (where I'm originally from) and recently joined the same club as another forum member (Nicky Franck). We've had some good practice together and just started filming. I've only seen myself play a few times so its been very useful to see what I'm actually doing.

Here's a few clips from us (I'm the shorter guy on the left) just doing some fh and bh counterhits and some looping too. We're hoping to film a variety of other things in the near future!

wow amazing hall! :O

Reactions: Suga D and Richie
It depends on your level of play also i suppose.. i usually change rubbers after every 4 months for forehand and about 5 months for the backhand.. with others it is usually different. My ex-coach and current professional player changes forehand rubber after every 3 months and the backhand rubber after every 5-6 months.
a rule of thumb if you train 4 times a week, maybe you should change your rubbers 4x per year.. ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Just stumbled upon an old youtube video from ETTC 2015 Freitas vs Gerell by TTD. It was such a pleasure to watch it again. What a beautiful game and a must see.

And it was Freitas who get called on serve, not throwing high enough. Par Gerrel hiding the serve doesn't matter, right?
I don't mind hidden serves like Gerrel's, but then the umpire shouldn't call the other player's serve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews

I usually use rubbers till they become unplayable. If it still grabs the ball well, then you can use for training. No need to change. However if you play a tournament important for you or for your team, change rubber 1 week before. For league play I use my training rubbers, but I am higher level than the league I play in. Playing level fluctuates. I trained more in the summer than ever in my life and my level dropped hugely. After a month, it came back and goes forward fast. Be patient, bad shape can piss you for more than a month.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

I try to play 3 times a week, sometimes manage 4 sessions. Each about 3 to 4 hours.

I change my rubbers typically when I start getting inexplicable (to my feeling, that is) ball slips when counterspinning.

To get good consistency, and probably also help the rubbers last longer in a predicable way, I religiously clean and dry rubbers after each session. If it's damp and sweaty, I may need to clean them inbetween, because in such circumstances especially I'm prone to sweat profusely and get what feels like buckets of sweat (yeah, gross) leaking onto the blade.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Not the right thread but I am trying to test ALC Koto blades (yes the ones I am allergic to) especially the Timo Boll ALC or Timo Boll Spirit. If you have a cheap one for sale or for trade, please reach out.

Haven't played in a while but I want to raise the speed of my setup by reducing the size of the blade heads so I can get more whip and wrist action. I currently use 158 by 152 (Korbel) but want to down size to 157 by 150 (standard Butterfly).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
So the weirdest thing happend today. I did put on a new sheet of black MXP, while playing it felt just like a antispin. I could not generate any spin at all... the sponge felt very strange and made a strange noise when flat hitting. Could that be a manufacture fault or can such behavior be caused by wrong gluing?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So the weirdest thing happend today. I did put on a new sheet of black MXP, while playing it felt just like a antispin. I could not generate any spin at all... the sponge felt very strange and made a strange noise when flat hitting. Could that be a manufacture fault or can such behavior be caused by wrong gluing?

Start with wrong gluing (bad glue job). Reglue and make sure the contact is correct after you glue. Glue must dry and bond properly.

This user has no status.
in recent training + minor competition matches, I feel I'm not fighting enough. When i start losing, i give up too easily, don't recoup. For example, yday training match against a guy that I beat handsomely last time. Last match of the day, i didn't really want to play but he asked me for a revenge match. He won the 1st set easily. I should have won the 2nd , with 3 game points. But somehow I lost and from 0-2 down i just gave up as I felt really tired. Same kind of scenario repeating often. I'm afraid its bad for confidence to lose too much like that in training even if i have an "excuse"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
It feels like I get worse the more I am into tabletennis. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself. I feel like my reaction time is lacking even though my legs should be faster than ever. During matchplay I can't make two backhand topspins in a row, it is like I forgot the motion after the first one, not being confident enough in the follow up. During the last 2 matches I thought that I just have a bad day, but now I am not even sure anymore how to get out of this slump.

My results in training matches have never been better actually, but then I play league games and all feels so different. I told myself to go full FZD style next game on friday, maybe it will help to get my head free to play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
in recent training + minor competition matches, I feel I'm not fighting enough. When i start losing, i give up too easily, don't recoup. For example, yday training match against a guy that I beat handsomely last time. Last match of the day, i didn't really want to play but he asked me for a revenge match. He won the 1st set easily. I should have won the 2nd , with 3 game points. But somehow I lost and from 0-2 down i just gave up as I felt really tired. Same kind of scenario repeating often. I'm afraid its bad for confidence to lose too much like that in training even if i have an "excuse"

Have you looked at your diet in detail? I am diabetic, and thus notice severe energy drop-off if I don't manage my food correctly. I find it useful to carry some sort of protein/carb bar (low GI) during a match, and just have a mouthful occasionally if the drop-off is occurring. Different people react in different ways though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
I can't wait that long to become a world class player, who knows if Boll is still playing then :rolleyes:

Anyway. Just came back from training, I felt pretty good. When I get into my zone I feel almost unbeatable. I also noticed something: Usually for a hard topspin I am contracting my lower arm muscles and have quite a tight grip. Today I tried out "squeezing" the handle as much as possible during the topspin and it appears that my balls come harder. It has been working quite well, so idk if I should pursue that or if it will hurt my transition game since I have quite a strong FH and BH grip, or if it will even hurt my wrist.

I also just noticed that someone is about to have the honor of post #6666

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi