Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says Jek, Yes I know Nick well. I play at the Orem club at...
Jan 2019
BUTTERFLY DIGNICS 05: On Monday I just happened to check the US Butterfly website and came across this gem. Within 2 minutes the page was no longer accessible but I luckily got a screenshot. Crazy that they’re planning on selling it for $104.99 a sheet! Looks like it may be released in March.

Looks like I have to post 5 times before I can share a link so disregard my next 4 posts

Jan 2019
Reactions: JST
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Maybe you can go try to go trough the basic technique like grip and how to do forehand and backhand. But do not talk to much, kid do not have good attention span.

Maybe you can do warm up like when kids run around the tables and hit against you at one table, or fast feet exercises by the table or maybe skipping rope.

I think it is best to do very easy exercises so the ball goes over the net alot and it will become alot of play. And throw in that they can count how many balls they do at a certain time, or first to 100 scream stop and do small games in the exercises, like maybe first to 11 in bh bh.

Then just do some easy exercises like warm up fh fh and bh bh diagonal or straigth. The letter, where one play straight and the other diagonal then change. one bh, one fh or two bh and two fh. The irish, where you do 1 bh 1 fh then 2 bh 2 fh and so on. 2 point forehand from one of the corners, or 75 % footwork. Falkenbergaren, one bh, one fh all from the bh corner then one fh in fh. The werewolf, one bh, fh in the middle, bh and fh from fh. Can also mirror this and do the opposite. Maybe one in the middle then bh or fh and back to middle. Can proably do alot of irregular exercises of those above.

Easy serve and return exercises like short short, serv short and long in the bh then loop, the same with the fh, the last two exercises but with block back.

matches like variations of the winners table.

There are some, but i think you can find alot of content on the internet and you can make up alot of exercises with your imagination.

Once again i think that aslong as the exercises is fairly simple, and throw in counting in them and games in the exercises it will go well.

Good luck!

Thanks for your tips Lula! To throw in the counting is a good idea, as kids like the challenge. I think I will also do other "hit-back" sports to let them feel and experience the differences, have fun, use bigger and smaller movements and get a feel for the movement of a ball.

This user has no status.
BUTTERFLY DIGNICS 05: On Monday I just happened to check the US Butterfly website and came across this gem. Within 2 minutes the page was no longer accessible but I luckily got a screenshot. Crazy that they’re planning on selling it for $104.99 a sheet! Looks like it may be released in March.

Looks like I have to post 5 times before I can share a link so disregard my next 4 posts

especially since US prices are very often tax excluded :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Doing a stroke vs a robot is different from doing jt in multi ball which is very different from doing a stroke in practice drills which is again different from doing it in practice matches which is again different from doing it in real matches. Each scenario adds something important that is a piece on the puzzle in developing true confidence and competence in your abilities.

Practice matches are where the fun begins as you have to use what you have learned combined with a lot of other skills if your opponent doesn't know what you have worked on. Then you have to read the play and adapt your skills to it usually without the pressure of serious consequences with a loss. This is the beginning of developing the skill to true usage. The usual problem is not reading and adapting to the play, usually the spin or the location/placement. You have to look at what happened to the ball when you miss, investigate the causes, and then adapt your stroke and ball read. This should be a feature of all your practices and drills but unfortunately, most people are only forced to start this in practice matches when they should adapt their training to support this before this level with subtle variations to make their brain adapt faster.

Ain't that the truth Ruth! Although I spent almost a year practicing my RPB and neglecting my FH loop, sometimes I practice with a higher level partner and am able to FH loop. For the most part I'm ok. When it comes to matches, I have zero confidence in my stroke. What was a decent smooth enough stroke in practice comes out chicken-winged/flying elbow and half hearted loops. Also, I know the biggest challenge for me is footwork - partly from not getting into ready position fast enough after my serve or not moving over to FH side fast enough to FH loop on other balls. Lots of stuff to work on for me. As ttmonster advised in the past, work on one aspect and not multiple aspects all at once. For now, concentrating on RPB.

In fact, LGL says that there is no proper /teztbook technique on display in matches or points where you are pushed to your competitive maximum. He was in part joking but anyone who plays at a semi serious level or better understands what he means.

Very cool! Thank you Sir!

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Next Level wrote a good discussion of the worth or worthlessness of good looking practice..

Next Level can tell you personally (he has seen me a few times) that my practice and practice strokes make me look like I chose the wrong sport and could not even spell table tennis.

I do not do FH to FH close to table for 10 shots consecutively...blah blah blah I look ugly, I look heavier and more immobile than a statue, but when it is match time I serve and attack away.

RAMBO LOOP!

And if Chicken and Beer are at stake, +1,000 to Der_Echte's play ... WATCH OUT FOR HIS PATENTED PULL SLEEVE UP AND KISS AND FLEX BICEPS AND WAVE BYE BYE!

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Understood. You made the comment about drills vs matches and the key difference is the ability to read the ball. It is why I encourage people to play matches slowly and with proper technique rather than with power. Let the other person hit the ball and learn to touch it with the proper technique. When the game slows down and you read it better, it will be easier to apply your power.

I might print this out and keep it in my bag, because I automatically go into "KILL EVERYTHING" mode the second a match starts. I'm in very good physical shape but it takes me 2-3 days to recover from league night because I exhaust myself so badly trying to hit every ball with 110% effort. I think a lot of that issue starts with me being in a hurry and starting the stroke way before reading the ball.

Sir,

At my club, I play a friend regularly. Everyone believes from seeing me stroke/practice/serve that I should win vs him. I'm 3-25 or however amount of wins he has over me. We both lost track LOL. We both know I've only won 3 so far.

Even he believes I should beat him. He has one major skill that I don't have ... Patience. He just plays steady and returns the ball. I'm not looking to beat him just to brag and to be able to say I beat him. If I beat him, to me, it means I've improved.

He is constantly drilling into me the mantra I've added as my signature. Just relax, return the ball, if partner attacks for a winner, at least I didn't lose the point on my shot. I rush my game/strokes and need to slow down. Missed many balls because I rush. Recently I've been able to win 2 matches over him because I was patient. Soon, he'll amp up his game, but for now, he just returns the ball and gives me enough rope to hang myself, which I promptly do.

If you can relax as you play your league matches, I believe, you should be able to recover quicker than 2-3 days. Part of any physical activity any athlete participates in requires a looseness, a relaxed state to play in. Once we stressed ourselves with forcing gameplay for a win, or overpowering/overmuscling the shots, lots of lactic acid buildup and mental wear and tear accumulates in the body/mind. I'm kind of talking gibberish/woo-woo, but do your best to relax.

[Begin Sy Sperling voice]

And yes, I'm not just the President of the Need-To-Relax-More-While-Playing-TT Club, I'm a client too LOL

[/voice]

Above may be over the head of some members LOL

Good luck in your training/matchplay Sir!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Tuesday night, I had a good session vs multiple partners. Shoulder still achy. Concentrated on RPB block/punch/flat hit. Starting to feel comfortable in the RPB strokes. Have not really thought of TPB at all.

Kind of know this in the back of my mind, I truly believe there are 2 approaches to RPB. One is to spin and use TPB to block/punch and the other is to use RPB to block/punch/flat hit and also to spin.

What I didn't figure out, despite it being evident is the grip. With the various RPB grips be it extended fingers or curled somewhat like TPB, it's hard to block/punch/flat hit so generally those grips will spin with their RPB. My unorthodox ugly looking RPB grip allows me to easily block/punch/flat hit and spin.

Sooner or later will seriously start spinning with my RPB.

Last night, played a match vs a lady I didn't play in some time. Am 0-2 vs her. Early in my coming out of retirement I've played her. Never played her with my RPB style. I lost 3-1, mostly lost at 6 or 7 points. the game I won i was leading 7-1 and closed it out at 4. So if we ever play again, I have a chance. Rushed some of my shots though. She is my level or a little better than me. Just more experienced and plays daily. I don't get a chance to play daily.

Also played a match vs a coach. He is higher level than me and very steady as well as well as experienced. As I play him, I notice I'm rushing my shots and not relaxed. I think i tend to do this vs higher level partners. Must slow down. Don't think I will ever beat him per se, but just looking to improve. Only played him 3x in the past 3 years. Had 2 or 3 good practice sessions with him in that same time. I was able to slow RPB topspin loop on 2nd ball and hard for him to block which led to my 4th ball attack. Need to work on this more I nicknamed the Der_Echte tactic as he taught it to my 2 years or so ago on a GoonSquad Mission ... he taught it to me for FH loop though.

Work in progress. keeping at it. Progress not prefection.

May all the net and edge balls go your way DTT CC'ers!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I'm a bit confused right now. I play with one club two nights a week where I also get 30-60 minutes of fun with the cadets. Some of them are seriously skilled (i.e. they're within the top12 of their age groups in our country) and I take the odd set. They play like properly modern schooled TT players with mainly fairly short serves and top-spin everything. Extremely entertaining and I always leave the club feeling that I've improved.

The other club/training group is a mix of very good veterans and basically basement players. I've kind of figured out the veterans and I'm every now and then winning against some of them but the basement players are really freaking me out. They chop everything and change the pace (unintentionally). I make one million unforced errors against this category of players. What to do?

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OldschoolPenholder Enters the Dragon said:
… Also played a match vs a coach. He is higher level than me and very steady as well as well as experienced. As I play him, I notice I'm rushing my shots and not relaxed. I think i tend to do this vs higher level partners. Must slow down. Don't think I will ever beat him per se, but just looking to improve. Only played him 3x in the past 3 years. Had 2 or 3 good practice sessions with him in that same time. I was able to slow RPB topspin loop on 2nd ball and hard for him to block which led to my 4th ball attack. Need to work on this more I nicknamed the Der_Echte tactic as he taught it to my 2 years or so ago on a GoonSquad Mission ... he taught it to me for FH loop though.

Work in progress. keeping at it. Progress not prefection.

May all the net and edge balls go your way DTT CC'ers!

For anyone not reading the write-up of Der_Echte in NYC V3.0 or whatever it was in 2015... I was trying to get OSP to get a long underspin back then spin it real heavy and deep... then deal with next ball if it came back.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I'm a bit confused right now. I play with one club two nights a week where I also get 30-60 minutes of fun with the cadets. Some of them are seriously skilled (i.e. they're within the top12 of their age groups in our country) and I take the odd set. They play like properly modern schooled TT players with mainly fairly short serves and top-spin everything. Extremely entertaining and I always leave the club feeling that I've improved.

The other club/training group is a mix of very good veterans and basically basement players. I've kind of figured out the veterans and I'm every now and then winning against some of them but the basement players are really freaking me out. They chop everything and change the pace (unintentionally). I make one million unforced errors against this category of players. What to do?

Tough. The odd ones are giving you back a ball that looks different from what you think their stroke should give... you end up anticipating wrong and it wrecks timing, positioning, impact zone... which of course makes you less consistent when you go for larger swings.

There are some players higher level who simply have a different impact and grip or grip change... there are some of these players at my level I never can tell what the ball will do and I fail. Likewise for you, you will be under pressure vs the players who do that at or above your level.

For you, vs the players who are levels below you who give you balls different that what you perceive the impact is... MUCH easier to deal with them.

They are generally not a risk to finish the point if you play a safe ball... so a tactic is to play a safe ball that you can play dead or real light spin... you are going to get back pretty much no-spin... all you need to do is judge the speed of ball, that helps you judge the landing depth and ball height. This is often enough to set you up for a big shot. If it doesn't, push back dead and reset... look for the next ball or next. Spin it real heavy or drive away from them...or at their middle.

Another deal is to serve/attack them outta the gym.

Another deal is to get them to attack, but at poor chances. Give them enough rope to hang themselves, then pick up the pieces.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

I would say that it is almost better practice to play against the Basement players. They move bad so play alot of strokes. So it is more irregular practice for you.

You Will beat these players when you become better.

Try moving the legs more since the ball comes everywhere it is important to move ro the ball.

Maybe trying to play softer aswell and focus more on spin. Bad players are not so good with spin. Especially Reading serves. If you play softer they need to Do more and that is more diffixult for them.

If you know they chop everything you should Do topspin serves so the ball Will go high so you can smash. This also forces them to be offensive which is more diffixult.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
(…) the basement players are really freaking me out. They chop everything and change the pace (unintentionally). I make one million unforced errors against this category of players. What to do?

Keep playing them. You’ll adapt.

A common pitfall for many (including me) is in positioning. The usual patterns lead you to step away from the table to counterloop, for example, which will wreac havoc against messy players. Hug the table.