Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Ok finally played my match in my club today. Due to the sports hall not available yet until Saturday as uni is finishing, our club moved to a secondary location, as you will see in my video below.

In this singles match, I play against this uncle, which I have never won against previously, as he was able to move me around everywhere with his experience.

I am quite happy with my RPB, as I am able to open up the rallies by looping backspin pushes, and I think I was surprised by the proportion of them that landed on the table. I also feel that I am comfortable with the DHS 40+ ball today, perhaps I have accepted it as my friend.

I am sure there is a lot of areas for improvement, so please fire them at me.
Hopefully this fits NextLevel's competition, as I will be flying off before my club returns to their usual arena.

Edit: I will watch OSP's video later :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
My regular practice partner is a JPen and he has the exact same problem , I have a feeling that because of the natural angle of the blade its especially important to have the ready position for the hand for the Penholders to be above the table and the same during reset motion during the rally ...and when you are closer to the table ensure the back swing in a more horizontal plane ... its easier to adjust the contact angle when you are farther from the table on loops even when the backswing is from low to up ... ( all this is subject to the incoming spin and the rubber being used ) ...

Following up on TT monster's feedback and your post.

FH:
I watched the video and I like your counter hitting. Watch the first minute of the video and I believe around 3:57 (where you're further back from the table) and i get the impression you could do that in your sleep.

But to me that's counter hitting and not necessarily looping from my prospective. I don't know. I have things in my game I'm working on but I generally play close to the table and I feel that when you play close to the table as a penholder, sometimes being able to counter hit & play angles helps more. Where as if I try to loop from right at the table, it's easy for me to send the ball long. But if I'm well off the table, looping feels more natural there.

So i guess I'm saying I like your FH stroke for on the table play and I've seen when you want to smack it, point over. But for looping? I prefer to practice that a little more off the table (don't know if you ever play off the table or not. I don't do it enough myself) where you use your body & rotation more. It's more spin. Maybe even more hook on soft loops. Would like to see a video where you're well off of the table and really trying to use your whole body to spin it up. I think it's worth a shot. Never know when you might discover something.

RPB:
Watching your play I think possibly helped me with something on my RPB (because I'm naturally a TPB guy also) that I'll post in the penholder forum.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Thank you suds! You mentioned something that I didn't remember... I'm a close-to-the-table player also ... when I loop in practice I have the long stroke yet for the tensor rubbers I'm using, I really should meet ball the ball sooner and shorten stroke. However, monster, Carl, 42andbackpains and a member/friend from my club mention I don't use enough core and legs on my away from table looping

42andbackpains keeps reminding me about the shortened swing. And yet I don't remember and muscle memory takes over

Although I'm a TPB guy, perhaps the 30 plus yrs break made it easier for me to learn the RPB? Or learning SH BH helped, or combo of both factors.

Cool, looking forward to your rpb vid!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
as mentioned a few days ago, i was hitting well last week, perhaps because I was hitting with 2 ~2000+ players, i mixed in rpb, tpb, sh bh ... felt good but alas no video. tonight, hit with 2 players my level and another a few levels lower.

the video is what it is... excuses aside, my rpb is not a rounding stroke like i had back in april of this year.

0:00-1:11 PH FH (my fh is da sucky, 42andbackpains noted something wrong with it, it's been jedi mind tricking me... ttmonster thinks i block TOO much with tpb on my fh side as well as not work my fh, so i lost it.)

1:11-1:35 SH FH (fh is sucky too - but on sh, i worked on my bh way more than my fh)

1:35-1:52 - SH BH from my fh side (phone camera inside a locker, didn't want to stand on my bh side and block the camera)

1:52-2:16 TPB from my fh side

2:16-2:48 RPB from fh side (contrast this with below vid of my warmup with 42andbackpains - rounding stroke is mostly or all gone ... i'm RPB punching now or some i may be stroking)

2:48-3:04 - SH BH from fh side

3:04-4:24 PH FH loop - my loop, if you can call it that, is sucky... my fh is sucky ... anyway, mixed in short stroke, mostly topspin, with longer stroke sidespin loop

4:24-4:47 - TPB

4:47-5:03 RPB

5:03- 5:23 SH BH

5:23-5:42 back to RPB

5:42-5:57 back to SH BH

5:57-6:00 SH BH loop DON'T BLINK! my interpretation of NextLevel's whip mechanics/checkmark BH loop

6:00-6:15 RPB loop DON'T BLINK! my interpretation of NextLevel's whip mechanics/checkmark BH loop

https://vimeo.com/247098311

have at me!

Hey OSP, just had a look at your video!
I am certainly not an expert or anything, so please take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

As your video is a training one and not a match situation where you are actively trying to win the point, I feel I cannot comment on the power of the strokes, as you may be aiming to be more stable while training.

Your penhold FH: I like your close to table play, the counterhits are stable, which is very attractive for other players to practice their FHs and loops with you. Your loops are strong away from the table.

Your shakehand FH: I am not a shakehand player, so I cant comment much, but I think you can play that stroke better than I can with shakehand :p

Your penhold TPB: I can tell you are very comfortable with it. Very stable. I think it is probably better than mine now, as I don't use it as much.

Your shakehand BH: Better than what I can do hahaha.

Your penhold RPB: I think a majority of them are having a good, solid contact with the ball, hence the ball will follow a more direct trajectory. In the final seconds of the video, I think that RPB has alot of whip in it! I like that hahaha. It will be good if it landed :D

My comment: I think it really depends on what you would like to get out of it. If you like to play close to table, the good side is you don't have to move as much when the shots are firing at you at big angles, but your strokes will be shorter. If you like to play loops, I think playing at medium distance will allow you to have a fuller stroke which can be both spinny and fast, but will mean you have to travel bigger distance with various angles. Your TPB is very good, there is no reason to abandon it for RPB alone (example, He Zhi Wen, or Ma Lin who uses a mixture of both). In terms of your RPB, I think it will be good for you to keep playing with it (if you intend to improve it) and try to get a more direct solid hit so you get the feel of it. Then if you are comfortable with hitting it, you can move back a little bit and try looping. By that, try to really 'brush' the ball, which at the beginning should not have any clicking sound. By moving a little bit away from the table, you allow the ball to drop a bit too, which also requires you to brush the ball, as you cant directly hit the ball from below the net.

Please filter out what might be crap and only take what you find as useful :)
Hope it helps!

Fellow penholder,
JeffM / si dai

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Ok finally played my match in my club today. Due to the sports hall not available yet until Saturday as uni is finishing, our club moved to a secondary location, as you will see in my video below.

In this singles match, I play against this uncle, which I have never won against previously, as he was able to move me around everywhere with his experience.

I am quite happy with my RPB, as I am able to open up the rallies by looping backspin pushes, and I think I was surprised by the proportion of them that landed on the table. I also feel that I am comfortable with the DHS 40+ ball today, perhaps I have accepted it as my friend.

Hopefully this fits NextLevel's competition, as I will be flying off before my club returns to their usual arena.

Si-hing!

Thank you for sharing video of your play! My footwork is not the best, but that type of carpeting makes me scared to move around.

1:14-1:19 – Nice! I used to work on this, the 3rd ball controlled spinny opening loop. Need to work on this sometime after I get super comfortable with my RPB. Der_Echte worked with me on this and for some time after I worked it at my club with less than satisfactory results.

2:00 – 2:07 – Excellent! Thank you … stuff for me to work on when I’m ready.

Excellent RPB! #MYGOALS :) 2:15 – 2:19 / 9:43-9:47 / 10:01-10:06 / 10:14-10:18

2:44 – 2:48 – this is exactly the reason why I want to learn RPB loop … ages ago when wood was legal as a backside on PH, I used the wood as a ‘crutch’ and return it exactly like Uncle did here. With the LP,I used for a period, I sparingly used it like this, as I know I would rely on it too much instead of work on bettering my speed, footwork, pushing instead of using the LP.

3:18 – 3:25 (3:23-3:25 – look at that spin!)

4:28 - 4:32 WOW at Uncle’s TPB BH smash!

6:31-6:36 – NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Lol at me!

10:21-10:25 – WHA-PA!!!

Not sure why Uncle backs up away from the table later in match… don’t recall him backing up early – but watching at work half distracted due to workflow … perhaps try some drop shots on him to make because he backs up. I don’t think you served enough sidetop/topspin. He seemed to pop up the 2nd ball, which you sometimes missed on your 3rd ball attack, that is if he was able to return them

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Doh jeh Si-hing!

Yeah for now, I'm just looking to practice/train the rpb punch/stroke. Intermittently I add in rpb loop, both brush/short motion, and the longer whip mechanics motion... FTR, both my sh and rpb bh loops landed but poor camera angles, can't tell.

Ultimately I probably will be more Ma Lin than Wang Hao, but and also way back in my pea brain, i may convert to sh sometime in future.

Part of my fh issues is the way I grip my racket ..
I have slightly unorthodox grip..
Posted a pic ages ago. Will see if I can find. It favors TPB punch and although I seem to be stable with fh shots, my ball placement is erratic.

Thank you for your kind words! I need a lot of work!!

Reactions: JeffM and ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Blade Giveaway:

Post to the thread a full match you played at your club recently (you must have played it within 5 days of your post).

Prizes are (and these are all used blades in varying conditions):

1. Vega Pro FL
2. Vega Pro ST
3. DD ALC - reduced head size and weighted handle
4. DD ALC
5. Stiga Eternity *slightly chipped outer ply from removed rubbers*
6. Stiga Eternity

I reserve the right to change the offered blade and throw in something else if I have it or am in the mood to. You have till December 17. Blades and prizes are given away on a first come first serve basis. You pick what you want.

All the blades are shakehand.

Wow cool stuff NL :)
I am playing an away match tomorrow as a fill in the third league. However, I hurt my leg at the club yesterday ... It hurts when I go down for a forehand topspin. The pain flares up on the inside of my right quad, close to the but. I had this before, it mainly happens if I play while not warmed up properly.

I hope it gets better until the match... I planned to film those matches. They have a defender that used to play an attacking game at a much higher level but he decided to play defense for funs now :D and has dropped in points as a consequence.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Don't underestimate the power of the "pea"-brain ... ;)
7c93b0b724347194b8ab52600f2c0990.jpg

Ya forgot the 'way back in my pea brain part ' ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Wow cool stuff NL :)
I am playing an away match tomorrow as a fill in the third league. However, I hurt my leg at the club yesterday ... It hurts when I go down for a forehand topspin. The pain flares up on the inside of my right quad, close to the but. I had this before, it mainly happens if I play while not warmed up properly.

I hope it gets better until the match... I planned to film those matches. They have a defender that used to play an attacking game at a much higher level but he decided to play defense for funs now :D and has dropped in points as a consequence.

Speedy and healthy recovery Boogar!

Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Blade Giveaway:

Post to the thread a full match you played at your club recently (you must have played it within 5 days of your post).

Prizes are (and these are all used blades in varying conditions):

1. Vega Pro FL
2. Vega Pro ST
3. DD ALC - reduced head size and weighted handle
4. DD ALC
5. Stiga Eternity *slightly chipped outer ply from removed rubbers*
6. Stiga Eternity

I reserve the right to change the offered blade and throw in something else if I have it or am in the mood to. You have till December 17. Blades and prizes are given away on a first come first serve basis. You pick what you want.

All the blades are shakehand.

I kept hearing people reference this and had to check it out. Very cool NL. Hope my match with Daniel I posted qualifies. I posted it here and the match took place on 11/12/17. If not, maybe I'll have to record a match on Sunday the 17th and upload it that night. We'll see. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

Good video. I like your style of play in that I think you play the right way.

I've seen players like this guy around. We all have. They win on consistency and a lot of their game is just kinda putting it in play. They will be more consistent than the opponent to win. Sure they can attack but they're largely happy with letting the opponent give them points. This works up to a certain point. But it appears to me you've crossed it.

I think the shot selection you're getting in these points you've probably always had. Just that you hit them in today. I'd imagine as you continue to improve and loop, you will continue to out power & spin him and his wins over you will get less and less.

Well done.

Random notes:
- Is that net regulation? Looks awfully loose or droopy. Might want to check the height on it and the tension. For a flat hitter like your opponent is, I'm sure he doesn't mind it being that way. ;)

- Seems to me he's pretty limited mobility wise. Might as well take advantage of that. So you'll notice he kinda hangs out somewhat towards his backhand corner. That's because with the TPB, he can't afford to move to the middle too far. otherwise he can't reach his TPB side. That's fine and call but I think shots wide to his FH are there for the taking and he can't move to get there. Note your RPB shot at 9:43. I think that's there all day and night. Particularly on any forehands you might having going cross court curving away from him. Hope that helps.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I kept hearing people reference this and had to check it out. Very cool NL. Hope my match with Daniel I posted qualifies. I posted it here and the match took place on 11/12/17. If not, maybe I'll have to record a match on Sunday the 17th and upload it that night. We'll see. :)

That would be too easy would it not? We want something more recent - thanks :D.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hey OSP, just had a look at your video!
I am certainly not an expert or anything, so please take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

As your video is a training one and not a match situation where you are actively trying to win the point, I feel I cannot comment on the power of the strokes, as you may be aiming to be more stable while training.

Your penhold FH: I like your close to table play, the counterhits are stable, which is very attractive for other players to practice their FHs and loops with you. Your loops are strong away from the table.

Your shakehand FH: I am not a shakehand player, so I cant comment much, but I think you can play that stroke better than I can with shakehand :p

Your penhold TPB: I can tell you are very comfortable with it. Very stable. I think it is probably better than mine now, as I don't use it as much.

Your shakehand BH: Better than what I can do hahaha.

Your penhold RPB: I think a majority of them are having a good, solid contact with the ball, hence the ball will follow a more direct trajectory. In the final seconds of the video, I think that RPB has alot of whip in it! I like that hahaha. It will be good if it landed :D

My comment: I think it really depends on what you would like to get out of it. If you like to play close to table, the good side is you don't have to move as much when the shots are firing at you at big angles, but your strokes will be shorter. If you like to play loops, I think playing at medium distance will allow you to have a fuller stroke which can be both spinny and fast, but will mean you have to travel bigger distance with various angles. Your TPB is very good, there is no reason to abandon it for RPB alone (example, He Zhi Wen, or Ma Lin who uses a mixture of both). In terms of your RPB, I think it will be good for you to keep playing with it (if you intend to improve it) and try to get a more direct solid hit so you get the feel of it. Then if you are comfortable with hitting it, you can move back a little bit and try looping. By that, try to really 'brush' the ball, which at the beginning should not have any clicking sound. By moving a little bit away from the table, you allow the ball to drop a bit too, which also requires you to brush the ball, as you cant directly hit the ball from below the net.

Please filter out what might be crap and only take what you find as useful :)
Hope it helps!

Fellow penholder,
JeffM / si dai

Will carefully evaluate at home tonight, send me your address by PM and your choice of blade if you think you made it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Si-hing!

Thank you for sharing video of your play! My footwork is not the best, but that type of carpeting makes me scared to move around.

1:14-1:19 – Nice! I used to work on this, the 3rd ball controlled spinny opening loop. Need to work on this sometime after I get super comfortable with my RPB. Der_Echte worked with me on this and for some time after I worked it at my club with less than satisfactory results.

2:00 – 2:07 – Excellent! Thank you … stuff for me to work on when I’m ready.

Excellent RPB! #MYGOALS :) 2:15 – 2:19 / 9:43-9:47 / 10:01-10:06 / 10:14-10:18

2:44 – 2:48 – this is exactly the reason why I want to learn RPB loop … ages ago when wood was legal as a backside on PH, I used the wood as a ‘crutch’ and return it exactly like Uncle did here. With the LP,I used for a period, I sparingly used it like this, as I know I would rely on it too much instead of work on bettering my speed, footwork, pushing instead of using the LP.

3:18 – 3:25 (3:23-3:25 – look at that spin!)

4:28 - 4:32 WOW at Uncle’s TPB BH smash!

6:31-6:36 – NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Lol at me!

10:21-10:25 – WHA-PA!!!

Not sure why Uncle backs up away from the table later in match… don’t recall him backing up early – but watching at work half distracted due to workflow … perhaps try some drop shots on him to make because he backs up. I don’t think you served enough sidetop/topspin. He seemed to pop up the 2nd ball, which you sometimes missed on your 3rd ball attack, that is if he was able to return them

Thank you for your detailed anaylsis OSP! You are too kind to me haha.
Yeah the carpet was a nightmare for the first few times our club was held there! Today I just tried to ignore it and play my game. I am used to sliding a bit with my worn out TT shoes, but while playing there, it is super grippy, so it made me more cautious of where I land my feet as I cant get away with it by sliding haha.
Yeah I missed alot of the popped up 2nd balls, which might be because I didn't expect them to pop up. Will try to minimize them in the future!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Doh jeh Si-hing!

Yeah for now, I'm just looking to practice/train the rpb punch/stroke. Intermittently I add in rpb loop, both brush/short motion, and the longer whip mechanics motion... FTR, both my sh and rpb bh loops landed but poor camera angles, can't tell.

Ultimately I probably will be more Ma Lin than Wang Hao, but and also way back in my pea brain, i may convert to sh sometime in future.

Part of my fh issues is the way I grip my racket ..
I have slightly unorthodox grip..
Posted a pic ages ago. Will see if I can find. It favors TPB punch and although I seem to be stable with fh shots, my ball placement is erratic.

Thank you for your kind words! I need a lot of work!!
Thanks for clarifying your current plan! It makes sense.
Sorry for mistaking your RPB loop to have gone out! Then it must have been a very powerful one with that whip :D

Yeah, I agree that how we grip the racket will have effect on how we play our strokes. I don't grip my racket the same way as the top penholders do, but that is because I feel my RPB is safer this way with more room for error.

Add oil!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Good video. I like your style of play in that I think you play the right way.

I've seen players like this guy around. We all have. They win on consistency and a lot of their game is just kinda putting it in play. They will be more consistent than the opponent to win. Sure they can attack but they're largely happy with letting the opponent give them points. This works up to a certain point. But it appears to me you've crossed it.

I think the shot selection you're getting in these points you've probably always had. Just that you hit them in today. I'd imagine as you continue to improve and loop, you will continue to out power & spin him and his wins over you will get less and less.

Well done.

Random notes:
- Is that net regulation? Looks awfully loose or droopy. Might want to check the height on it and the tension. For a flat hitter like your opponent is, I'm sure he doesn't mind it being that way. ;)

- Seems to me he's pretty limited mobility wise. Might as well take advantage of that. So you'll notice he kinda hangs out somewhat towards his backhand corner. That's because with the TPB, he can't afford to move to the middle too far. otherwise he can't reach his TPB side. That's fine and call but I think shots wide to his FH are there for the taking and he can't move to get there. Note your RPB shot at 9:43. I think that's there all day and night. Particularly on any forehands you might having going cross court curving away from him. Hope that helps.

Thanks for your kind words and the encouragement suds79!

The net is definitely not up to standard :p It was better before, but then today it just seems to have aged. We did think of putting our own net on the table, but it was screwed onto the table and we forgot to bring our screwdriver. The tension is very bad, I think height wise we have tried to make it as good as it can be.

Actually it is interesting that you note his mobility wise. He can actually move very well, better than me I would say, not sure if you can notice it when he goes picking up the balls. Despite his age and wearing pants all the time, he is one of the fastest moving players in my club. But he does tend to stand on the BH side due to relying on his TPB. Perhaps he compensates by standing more upright to increase his mobility. I will make note and play shots wide to his FH.