Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
It’s just that my ten years of training has been mostly singles with very minimal doubles training. I’m definitely improving but it’s just a whole different ball game (not literally lol)

There was a good tip of the week from Larry Hodges on doubles this week. Also if you look in his archives lots of good doubles info.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Life time achievement: won one game against a friend who is 1700 in Swedish ranking points (my guess is that it’s equivalent of 2100 USATT). The funny thing is that I tried his Timo Boll ALC with T05/80 after the friendly match and the T80 felt slower compared to my setup. Unsure what that means but I’m still happy as most games usually end 11-1.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Well my conclusion after being associate with this sport for quite some time is that it attracts all kinds of a$$h0les, it has something to do with the fact that is an individual sport and hence there is a "gladiator" like angle to, most of the ill behaved part of the society seems to need a majority on the other end to keep their antics on chekc ... and its better to ignore them and not even play them ... why spoil your shoulder by playing him .. I would have told him, its clear that you are much better player than I am , will you stand aside for 20 minutes so that I can play with somebody my level ... and not injured my shoulder ... well its all always 20/20 in hindsight .. but my advise to you jack is to not let these kind of D1cks get to you ...

Played last Weds against J. He is a level above me if not 2. JPenner that has a FH smash, loop and a BH smash. We have played before and he takes it easy on me knowing my game is weak but in practice I'm decent enough. Close games - won first, lost next 3 with the 3rd game ending at 18-16 or so.

A new member had next, modern PH. Nice and smooth loops both FH and RPB. Doesn't seem to RPB block or punch. He wins close games against J in 3 straight. J is about 1700 or 1800. I have never beaten J so i know this new member is roughly 1700-1800 if not 1900.

I'm next. This guy doesn't let me warm up... hits his FH to my BH and out of courtesy I return to his FH and he kills the ball. I pick up the ball and send the ball to his FH and again he returns to my BH, i return to his FH and he kills the ball. Then he says, "Let's start." I said I'm not warmed up yet, may we hit FH to FH. He gives this incredulous look. B was waiting for next and suggested he hit with me to warm up. 4 balls and dude kicks B off table and starts game.

I HAVE TO THANK THIS DUDE. HE TAUGHT ME SOMETHING. I THOUGHT I HAVE MASTERED MY EMOTIONS PRETTY WELL, BUT HE GOT ME UPSET. CLEARLY I HAVE NOT MASTERED MYSELF AND HE TAUGHT ME SOMETHING.

I could've killed the ball too during 'warmup' but I generally take the high road and not stoop to his level.

I see this dude play J and I see he has fast footwork, good smooth FH loop and can RPB loop from a few steps back. Looks like he has decent FH pendulum serves although some it seems are not legal. So I'm a little upset from lack of warmup, disrespect shown by him, and know his strokes and footwork are better than mine.

I win first game at 9, ended with decisive low and fast smash. I don't recall the next 2 games scores but i lost both and it was close enough. 4th game, i'm winning 8-2 and lost at 11-9. I lost concentration and noticed a pain in my right shoulder/deltoid. Same area that ached/hurt last year that I rested 3 or 4 months for. With no warmup I somehow aggravated it again.

Despite my loss to him, just shows you that you see someone who looks good in practice but has no game. I truly believe he underestimated me as well as overestimated himself. He probably also thought my RPB was weak as I don't always spin. I choose to angle/directional block as well as punch. Many of his loops i was able to block to where he is not and i expected his speedy footwork to get to the ball and return. Such was not the case in gameplay. I made him look bad with easy RPB block/punch on his loops and he couldn't return the ball. I made him look really bad on 3 points with a rocket serve down the line to his FH as he was standing extreme BH side ready to pivot and FH loop my serve. Got some monster smash winners in. Felt good.

I saw his look when I was winning and to serve at 8-2. Totally out of it and demoralized. But then i felt the pain and if i raised my arm to shoulder height for pendulum serve, it hurt. When i went to loop or smash it hurt.

If i play him again, I will be sure to warm up on side with shadow stroking. Despite my lack of confidence in my FH loop stroke, I made some over. "Success breeds confidence, confidence breeds success." Neglected my FH loop for about a year in trying to learn and get decent at my RPB.

Last Thurssday, shoulder/deltoid still hurting. I'm playing a match against a friend and George "Chief" Braithwaite comes over and watches/waits for next. He remembers me from back in da day of the 1980's NYC Chinatown Firehouse TT Club. Every time I see him, we chit chat a little. One of the finest gentlemen as well as TT ambassadors around. Inspirational to watch him as he is late 70's or 80 or so yrs old. He is watching me and after the match he says to me that my FH loop is bad and lacking confidence. I said he has a good eye in spotting the hesitant stroke from lack of confidence. Told him also my shoulder is hurting a bit but I neglected my FH loop in favor of training RPB. He said, "Oh no, you should be balanced." Wise words from a wise gentleman.

Played tonight. No matches. Just hit. Shoulder not as painful. Was able to work on my FH stroke/smash/loops. Overall I'm a little surprised and happy that my RPB block/punch/flat hit is getting a little more consistent. Although I'm playing mostly players my level or lower. Haven't had a chance to play members better than me. Thought I would need more time to adjust on my RPB, definitely more than a year, as I'm a slow learner and also play inconsistently, at best i get to play 3x a week, but sometimes it's just 1 or 2x only. I have not really tried to TPB block/punch in some time. The rare few times, perhaps due to my current grip, I would pop the ball off the table.

The match last week vs that dude (who is at least my level or 1 better than me) showed me that my RPB block/punch is able to handle some pressure/speed/spin and has improved finally. Work in progress. Take it one stroke at a time. Still not at a skill level where I will only play games. Still need to practice. But my current club, a City Recreation Center with many members makes it hard to be able to just practice and usually forced to play matches.[/COLOR]

Thank you DTT CCers for reading all that if you did!

P.S. SHOUTOUT TO NEXTLEVEL!!!

AGAINST J. AND THAT DUDE, I BELIEVE I'M SERVING NO SPIN AND MAKING IT LOOK LIKE MY PENDULUM SERVE AND IT WON ME SOME EASY POINTS WITH EITHER THEM POPPING IT OFF THE TABLE OR JUST POPPING UP RESULTING IN EASY ATTACK WINNER FOR ME. Sorry for all-caps. I set them up with spinny serves so they expect spinny serves and i give them a nospin serve. This is a breakthrough/revelation for my game and perhaps has let my game ... wait for it ... wait for it... get to the next level! LOL at me!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
monster,

If my club had more tables and less members, i wouldn't even be there. But I never played him before as he is relatively new and didn't expect him to be ungentlemanly. Been noticing after our match, he only plays 'good' players and i truly believe he must think highly of himself, too highly IMO.

as he was king of the table, he would not let me play someone instead of him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
@oldschoolpenholder!

It is good that you win when there is a game, that is the most important.

Perhaps I'm a dinosaur, winning is NOT the most important to me. I'm not going to lie, it would be nice to win. What is more important to me is that did I have good strokes/form, was my strategy and tactics sound, did i execute properly, was I able to pinpoint partner's weaknesses and exploit them, despite losing a point or the game - was my performance a good one, etc.

At my age and family situation, in all likelihood I won't be participating in tournaments. I'm into TT for self-perfection, a "Way" if you will. Am I truly 'expressing myself' to the best of my abilities? If not, work on my weaknesses. [/quote]

When i played active and competitions i always wanted to look pretty bad at the warm up, but have crazy good serves and returns so it is little play and i win because of that. Of course i want it to look nice when i warm up to, but i would be fun if the opponent think like "this will be easy", then you crush them in serve and return haha.

LOLOL ... it's not in my nature to do this in competition. For fun, vs someone who has never seen me play before, I may do it as a joke.

I also have some troubles with my shoulder. I find it very important to warm up properly and work out with rubber band works fine. Do you do this?

I have not used rubber bands, have one, will give it a try. I have been stretching and using heating pads as well as light weights.

If you want to develop the technique i do not think it is any disadvantage to play against players your level or lower. It is difficult to work on the strokes when you play against better players. I am a part time coach, and i often see that we pick up players too fast to the best last group and their developement suffer because they have trouble working with the technique since the exercises is sometimes to difficult and they play better opponents and it goes just to fast. I think they would become better in the long run if they stayed longer in the middle group where it is easier to work on the strokes. But i agree that it is good to play against better players, it can be difficult otherwise to be able to match the tempo and quality of serve and returns. I feel that especially the quality of serve and returns is much much higher, and it is proably this which is the most important to develop if we want to win games. We win games on the boring stuff, not the cool stuff like loop loop. it is to bad that alot of my students think short to short pushes is useless while it is exactly the opposite in my opinion.

I agree with you. Perhaps I didn't write clearly. I meant that I have not really pressure-tested my RPB vs higher level players. Against players my level or lower, I am getting more consistent and comfortable with RPB.

I will share one of my philosophies with the TTD CCers which I have seen from experience to be true. There are 3 types of opponents, actually there is 4. But I'll talk about the 3 first. Just never had a nice way to express it. Came across something in the biography or autobiography of Frank Shamrock, a UFC/MMA legend. He articulated it succinctly. He calls it his +/=/- (plus/equal/minus) theory. I forget the exact order he mentions it in, but you will get the idea. He says for one to improve their game, one needs to work with anyone who is a +, that is someone better than oneself. Also need to work with an =, someone of the same level. And last but not least, also need to work with a -, someone at a lower level than oneself.

With a +, you see which of your attacks work, how the + attacks you showing/teaching your weaknesses. With an =, you have a chance to win ... so you play your game, adapt your game to attack their weaknesses, etc. See if you can execute properly and correctly. And finally one needs a - to work with. Your bread and butter offense/defense hypothetically should work against them. As they are lower level than oneself, it really lets you work on the weaker parts of one's game. One is only as strong as their weakest link.

It's late, I may have been rambling, but hopefully the gist comes through!

p.s. I hear you all saying, "But OldschoolPenholder, you mentioned 4 opponents in the beginning but only go through 3 in the +/=/-.

The 4th opponent is ONESELF! One master their Ego, Emotions, Skills/Techniques, In-play Analysis, etc. As I mentioned in my earlier post, that dude taught me something about myself, i still haven't mastered my emotions yet.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Got it , then the only recourse I can think of is to not get baited into "teaching him a lesson" .. just play your normal game ... practice your setups ... try to force the play in a way you can practice the shots/combinations you want to train and just completely ignore his antics ... I know you probably taught him a lesson and next time he won't be as mean as he was this time .. but the point is ... is it really worth hurting your shoulder and having to rest it for a prolonged period of time before you can come back to the game ... ?
monster,

If my club had more tables and less members, i wouldn't even be there. But I never played him before as he is relatively new and didn't expect him to be ungentlemanly. Been noticing after our match, he only plays 'good' players and i truly believe he must think highly of himself, too highly IMO.

as he was king of the table, he would not let me play someone instead of him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I had just like to say how much I hate doubles. Like sure it’s an extra game I get to play on match night, but I’m just so bad at taking another human next to me into consideration when I play my shots...

One is only as strong as their weakest link. Play some more doubles Sir. It will help your game as it will force you to think about your partner and setting them up. That in turn will help you be better in setting yourself up in singles.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I was with Coach K today.

after 1h55 of multiball or working on serves, there was only 5minutes left for freestyle play. Here it is

Although it's not a competition, you are looking loose and relaxed! Remember this feeling when you compete Sir!!

Thank you for sharing!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Got it , then the only recourse I can think of is to not get baited into "teaching him a lesson" .. just play your normal game ... practice your setups ... try to force the play in a way you can practice the shots/combinations you want to train and just completely ignore his antics ... I know you probably taught him a lesson and next time he won't be as mean as he was this time .. but the point is ... is it really worth hurting your shoulder and having to rest it for a prolonged period of time before you can come back to the game ... ?

Didn't intentionally do stuff out of the ordinary which may aggravate my shoulder. I played my normal game and setups. I tried to probe for his weaknesses and exploit them too. Due to his overconfidence of his skills and underestimating my skills, if i played steady enough to return his shots, he was like 50/50 in returning the ball. It's as if he attacks thinking it's a winner but I surprise him and return his shot.

Plus I really fragged his mind with my serves thanks to NextLevel's nospin serve advice. In my mind, I'm serving no spin. I am not sure if it really is no spin, but for example I make the serve look side-down, but serve no spin, dude pops ball off table. I am pretty sure I didn't serve side-top, so I have to thank NL yet again for cluing me in on nospin serves.

Lower level players (aka -) mostly cannot handle my spin serves. Players my level (aka =) sometimes can handle my spin, and i mess them up with nospin serves. Higher level players (aka +), i really need to integrate more nospin as they can handle my spinny serves.

I may or may not avoid that dude. He is a good challenge for me. Despite my shoulder, I had a chance to beat him. Once again, dude taught me something... can't judge someone from their practice until one plays them in a game.

If I play him next time, I am not going to force my attacks, i will look to play steady and let him hang himself. Mentally I'm confident having success with my RPB block/punch vs his FH loop drives, so if we play again, i will return the ball and see how that goes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
I will share one of my philosophies with the TTD CCers which I have seen from experience to be true. There are 3 types of opponents, actually there is 4. But I'll talk about the 3 first. Just never had a nice way to express it. Came across something in the biography or autobiography of Frank Shamrock, a UFC/MMA legend. He articulated it succinctly. He calls it his +/=/- (plus/equal/minus) theory. I forget the exact order he mentions it in, but you will get the idea. He says for one to improve their game, one needs to work with anyone who is a +, that is someone better than oneself. Also need to work with an =, someone of the same level. And last but not least, also need to work with a -, someone at a lower level than oneself.

With a +, you see which of your attacks work, how the + attacks you showing/teaching your weaknesses. With an =, you have a chance to win ... so you play your game, adapt your game to attack their weaknesses, etc. See if you can execute properly and correctly. And finally one needs a - to work with. Your bread and butter offense/defense hypothetically should work against them. As they are lower level than oneself, it really lets you work on the weaker parts of one's game. One is only as strong as their weakest link.

p.s. I hear you all saying, "But OldschoolPenholder, you mentioned 4 opponents in the beginning but only go through 3 in the +/=/-.

The 4th opponent is ONESELF! One master their Ego, Emotions, Skills/Techniques, In-play Analysis, etc. As I mentioned in my earlier post, that dude taught me something about myself, i still haven't mastered my emotions yet.

Thanks OSP for this philosophy. On reflection, I think I have often neglected the '-'.
The 4th opponent is so true. When I tense up in a match, thinking that it is very important, I am my biggest opponent!

Over the past year of working, I have not really participated in any structured tournament. This year, I am keen on trying to participate in the local league. Although I will not be able to attend every match due to shift work, whenever I am given the chance to play, I will try my best to take it, as I want to see how much my game will improve. I am also craving the team feeling. Hope it will work out fine!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Perhaps I'm a dinosaur, winning is NOT the most important to me. I'm not going to lie, it would be nice to win. What is more important to me is that did I have good strokes/form, was my strategy and tactics sound, did i execute properly, was I able to pinpoint partner's weaknesses and exploit them, despite losing a point or the game - was my performance a good one, etc.

At my age and family situation, in all likelihood I won't be participating in tournaments. I'm into TT for self-perfection, a "Way" if you will. Am I truly 'expressing myself' to the best of my abilities? If not, work on my weaknesses.

LOLOL ... it's not in my nature to do this in competition. For fun, vs someone who has never seen me play before, I may do it as a joke.

I have not used rubber bands, have one, will give it a try. I have been stretching and using heating pads as well as light weights.

I agree with you. Perhaps I didn't write clearly. I meant that I have not really pressure-tested my RPB vs higher level players. Against players my level or lower, I am getting more consistent and comfortable with RPB.

The 4th opponent is ONESELF! One master their Ego, Emotions, Skills/Techniques, In-play Analysis, etc. As I mentioned in my earlier post, that dude taught me something about myself, i still haven't mastered my emotions yet.[/QUOTE]

I think you misunderstand me. I mean that it is more important and better to be good at the game play, like serve and returns and tactics than be good at cool good looking stuff like loop loop or play really hard. My students really misunderstand this, they have not realised that it is the booring stuff you win games with, not the fun cool stuff.

I agree that is good to focus on the form and technique on how you play since if you play good you will proably win the games. But i still think it is good to also try to win the games, i think that is the purpose of playing games. I had coaches that liked technique and was good at it so i focused alot on technique and changed it alot. So i thought alot about the technique was correct than winning games. I think it is good for us players that do this to play alot of games during the exercises so we practice trying to win more.

I would proably have becomed a better player i think if i did not focused so much on the techniqe and changed it so much. The technique do not need to be perfect, which we can see at some pros and it is important to have the same technique for a longer period of time otherwise it is hard to become good at it. It is hard to get good results in the short term if you work alot on the technique, but if we plan to play our whole life mabe we can benefit to change and try to make the techniqe the best possible. but again, i do not think we can change to much because then we do not spend enough time on becoming safe. It is very important to have good coaches at the beginning so we almost do not need to change the technique and just work on becoming safe. I think shadow play is one of the biggest key to learn the technique when you are beginner or try to learn a technique. It is sometimes just to hard with a balll. I think my students would become better if they did 1 month shadow training instead of playing with the ball. But sadly my students do not not understand the purpose or the importance of shadow training and have a hard time doing it just for 5 minutes.

haha, i do not mean to be bad at purpose in the warm up. I meant more that you are so good at serve and return, so when you start to play the game the opponent loose, but at the warm up he thinks he might beat you because your level on the open game is somewhat the same.

okay, i see! You are proably correct that it is important to play opponents that are better, the same and not as good as you. I think against better players you will almost always notice that they are better at serve and return. I think the 4th opponents can be one of the most important to beat!

But i do not know if i agree that you should look at the opponents weakness and that one is only as strong as their weakest link. I think that it is very important to have a playing style, know what you are good at, practice at that and try to get that game in the match. If you get to play forehand all the time because your good serve, return, placement and footwork it maybe do not matter if your weakest link is is the backhand since you work around it. And if you can play your game successfully maybe you do not need to find the opponents weakness. But i agree that against some players where it is hard to play with your strengths, like if the opponent is really good at returning serves and blocking, then it proably will be really hard to win with your great forehand and you might loose big if you have a really bad backhand. So we peoably need to focus on our weakest link aswell but i think it is better to focus on the strengths. And it will proably be easier to win if you can play your game and at the same time play at your opponent weakness, so you are proably correct about that also.

Good discussion!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I was with Coach K today.

after 1h55 of multiball or working on serves, there was only 5minutes left for freestyle play. Here it is

It looks like alot of fun! I like that it seems like you are having alot of fun! :)

Did you play multiball almost 2 hours straight? did it work well? must be difficult to do it for so long time i think, hard for the arm. No video of the multiball practice? would be interesting to watch.

I think it is pretty cool that your coach play japanese penhold! or is it called that? Is this still common in Japan?

I noticed that you put like two or three balls in the net in a row when you blocked. Do you think you are to close to the table at those balls? it almost looks like it, but maybe it was just the angle. But i think it is really good that you change after that and do not put the backhand blocks in the net. I think it is really important to change so you do not do the same mistake again and again.

Do you play against alot of different players? you seem to have trouble with reading the spin on your coach serve. Playing against alot of players will make you much better at reading different spin. But maybe your coach have a very good serve!

Looking forward to the next video! It is fun to watch! keep up the good work! :)

This user has no status.
It looks like alot of fun! I like that it seems like you are having alot of fun! :)

Did you play multiball almost 2 hours straight? did it work well? must be difficult to do it for so long time i think, hard for the arm. No video of the multiball practice? would be interesting to watch.

I think it is pretty cool that your coach play japanese penhold! or is it called that? Is this still common in Japan?

I noticed that you put like two or three balls in the net in a row when you blocked. Do you think you are to close to the table at those balls? it almost looks like it, but maybe it was just the angle. But i think it is really good that you change after that and do not put the backhand blocks in the net. I think it is really important to change so you do not do the same mistake again and again.

Do you play against alot of different players? you seem to have trouble with reading the spin on your coach serve. Playing against alot of players will make you much better at reading different spin. But maybe your coach have a very good serve!

Looking forward to the next video! It is fun to watch! keep up the good work! :)

1H then 10 minutes break then 1H
Of course its a private lesson, I can let the coach decide the whole menu or I can ask him to work on some points in particular.

This time, 1st hour, warm-up in both diagonals (he's a leftie), flat hit , topspin, and block.
Then , i decided to work on counterloop. so he fed me with long balls. FH side only then BH side only.
Next, one short ball on BH that i push long, and long topspin ball to FH is coming. Then the mirror exercise, short ball to FH coming, I push long then fast ball to BH is coming
Next exercise, long balls, 2 BH counters, 1 FH counter. mirror exercise 2FH , 1BH.
Then we always work against Backspin, so FH only, BH only, then 1FH + 1BH

every exercise is like 20-30 reps done 2-3 times.

10mns break

2nd hour, we spent 30 minutes on serves. He gave me a few tips to improve my serves. Then short receiving, FH flick and BH flick separately. Then at last this video. one of the receive we were working on is the "Nagashi" receive, trying to put sidespin against the leftie pendulum serve. He does it in the match, so I try to do it but I miss 2 in a row, obviously its not the same to execute a shot when you KNOW where the ball is coming because its a drill, and when you don't know where the serve is coming. I think I was lacking focus in this freestyle play, it was more about having fun for me.

For the BH block miss, the reason, is I'm too much hurried, and rushing i want to take the ball early and go to the ball , so i execute the shot while moving and get a wrong timing. [or another block i miss because i'm standing still] I do twice the mistake. The balls were not too difficult for me if I played with right focus, that was a bit careless. Multiball is really fast so my reaction time is rather good. The problem is I didn't have the proper reaction, which was to WAIT a bit for the ball here and play a cleaner shot.

OTOH in another point, I just play calmly and put a cross-court BH block very well placed. not a big shot, but enough at our level to score a point.

There is a very good BH rally around 2:30 where I am able to put spin speed and placement, on like 3 shots in a row with a last one down the line. I wish i was able to play like that 100% of points !

I missed too many FH attacks, because i didn't realize i served with little spin and the incoming ball has little spin as well. Also, it doesn't help that I try to aim down the line. In match, i would always play more safely to the middle or BH, but we were having fun... It was fun that i scored a BH ace serve, using the technique he showed me earlier on.

About the coach, yes, i think it is Japanese penhold. He's having fun as well and just letting me play, he likes to try to fool me with spin and placement, he's not playing his real shots or real tempo of course.

I promise you this guy is really good at serving. He showed me hist tricks but I still can't see his balls. He's using a lot of deceptive moves like moving the racket down after a topspin serve just as he hits the ball to make it look like backspin - or the reverse... Its like an illusionist ! I'm happy i make two unconventional very short topspin receives to put back his very tricky serves.

Basically apart from the 1st point which was played very academically, it was more about having fun, I made a lot of mistakes because a lack of focus, and didn't move back in position correctly, and I also tried some "champagne" TT. Sometimes it was in, but there was a lot of rubbish as well as you could see LOL.

I wanted to communicate the fun that we were having, the technique is not very pretty !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Sir,

Nice to see you back in action! Clearly you are playing through injuries/pain. Take it easy Sir!!

"Progress not perfection."
~Denzel Washington as Robert McCall in The Equalizer

Thanks!

Table tennis has opioid effects on my brain. Not sure whether it is a good thing but when I enter a TT hall, my brain suddenly shuts out pain (I suspect it is secreting huge amounts of endorphins). It is my ability that let's people know that all isn't what it appears to be.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Jea! :) Glad to see you back NL! And glad to see this thread living up!

I am watching a lot of third Bundesliga level and below matches and noticed that most of the shots that the pros are doing aren't suited for basement players like me :) better keep it simple and safe. Working on taking out power and adding more spin to my shots. I can play power shots off the easier returns and not try it on EVERY return i get. If I am out position i should try a slower shots with spin and a high curve... note to myself... writing stuff like this down as much as possible helps me actually DO it.

I think im finally grasping the concept of CATCHING the ball with rubber and then add spin or power to it, meaning i can do it in practice... probably going to take half a year until i can somewhat use it in competition. Still long ways to go!

How are you dealing with stress situations?
I noticed im playing a lot worse in matches... for example I lost 3:1 without much chance against a guy I usually beat in practice... just yesterday we played 11 games and I won 10 of them :-/

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I finally have a video where I don't feel like I look hilarious doing FH strokes vs underspin. It's not perfect but it's serviceable and doesn't cause stress on my body at all so I'll need to gain some confidence in it and use it when I play. I think if anything I can still work on a more forward swing and feeling the ball more. I showed 2 sets here because I watched the video of the first and made corrections for the 2nd, which gave better results. I'll still have the same problem as Boogar, where my match play is much worse than my practices. Not sure how to dissipate stress in match situations but will take any advice anyone has to help.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EpDT3micVc8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hFFY6SRJ4x0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This user has no status.
Jea! :) Glad to see you back NL! And glad to see this thread living up!

I am watching a lot of third Bundesliga level and below matches and noticed that most of the shots that the pros are doing aren't suited for basement players like me :) better keep it simple and safe. Working on taking out power and adding more spin to my shots. I can play power shots off the easier returns and not try it on EVERY return i get. If I am out position i should try a slower shots with spin and a high curve... note to myself... writing stuff like this down as much as possible helps me actually DO it.

I think im finally grasping the concept of CATCHING the ball with rubber and then add spin or power to it, meaning i can do it in practice... probably going to take half a year until i can somewhat use it in competition. Still long ways to go!

How are you dealing with stress situations?
I noticed im playing a lot worse in matches... for example I lost 3:1 without much chance against a guy I usually beat in practice... just yesterday we played 11 games and I won 10 of them :-/

dealing with stress is a whole subject, there's a few books on it, only read one, (in Japanese)
here are some advice I got from that book and other resources

- you can train and learn how to deal with stress. and practice it everytime you go to your club ! [and even outside !]
Don't think you're mentally weak and thus ALWAYS will be.

- "train like if you're competing, and compete like if you're training" ! use the same shots, the same tactics, the same focus, the same ROUTINES. You will think about routines not about any bad thoughts. It will keep you focused

- at the end of sets we get most nervous. do practice matches starting at 8-8 or 9-8 or 10-8 for example....

- when you're very tense , in your wrist for example, tighten all those muscles while taking a big breath, and release slowly. You can do that between points

- Never ever have a bad thought in a match (ex1: if I don't make really serve short, he's gonna kill the ball with his receive; ex2: i'm losing can't beat him) rather (ex1: im gonna serve short, if he's gonna do his flick, im gonna block/counter to his BH taking the ball off the bounce ; ex2 i'm gonna get his ass ; ex3, he played a good point but I'm going to show him what i can do !)

ETC...

Personally I am glad to say I have much improved mentally. I won a lot of tight matches in the last 2 years, both in training or in official matches. Much less choking. especially on the last point, i'm following that religiously. And I tchoooo as loud and as much passion in a training match against my buddy, than in competition in an official match. Thats part of the "routine" part

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 6 reviews

That serve is insane :D. I am part time coach in that club and can't read the spin of his serves during contact, I need to observe how the ball behaves after bounce, but...that is fast long serve, so there is not a lot of time. I mean... he was on the same year with Mizutani at the university

Last edited: