Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Today I could go to training after a while. I didn't felt myself really well, my illnesses left me exhausted and 4.5 hour (two separate sessions) of training in a hot room isn't the best way to rest.
But outserving a first league player (many times) can pump up your mood :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
My body has been a wreck for the past month and I have been stupidly forgetting/refusing/being lazy about wearing knee braces. No more BS - I can't play TT anymore without those things and I need to accept it or I soon will be unable to walk.

I have lost a ton of rating points doing all kinds of stuff. The good thing is that I know I can still play well, the bad thing is that I know that I have dropped my level significantly and I have to do certain things (work on my serves again, return to more spin than drive on most of my shots) to regain my level.

I think though that my reverse serve is now the best it has ever been and I am going to work on making it my main serve. IF I can do that, I think my results will improve a lot as my other serves are pretty good and will function as good changeups.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Had my first hit last night with MXP on the FH & FXS on the BH. Previously I had always played cheap Chinese tacky rubbers when I would actually play inverted (have spent a lot of time with pips over the years also).

All i can say is wow. I don't think I've had that many 3rd ball attack winners ever. MXP just spins it up so good. It's night & day difference. I was hanging with people who I usually can't even take a game off of. A couple of them I could even see beating if I simply keep playing them and getting more opportunities. So I'm very pleased.

I simply had the mindset last night that if anyone serves me long, I loop. No questions asked. Furthermore, if anybody chopped and it's off the table or high, I loop. Taking out any sort of indecision I felt helped me play so much better. Furthermore, it's good practice for playing the style I should be going for. I thought my hitting % was pretty darn good but there's always room for improvement.

It's one of those things where i'm excited to see where the next year takes me but also disappointed thinking "why didn't I try this years ago" but oh well. Nothing I can do about it now. Just have to keep trying to get better.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Had my first hit last night with MXP on the FH & FXS on the BH. Previously I had always played cheap Chinese tacky rubbers when I would actually play inverted (have spent a lot of time with pips over the years also).

All i can say is wow. I don't think I've had that many 3rd ball attack winners ever. MXP just spins it up so good. It's night & day difference. I was hanging with people who I usually can't even take a game off of. A couple of them I could even see beating if I simply keep playing them and getting more opportunities. So I'm very pleased.

I simply had the mindset last night that if anyone serves me long, I loop. No questions asked. Furthermore, if anybody chopped and it's off the table or high, I loop. Taking out any sort of indecision I felt helped me play so much better. Furthermore, it's good practice for playing the style I should be going for. I thought my hitting % was pretty darn good but there's always room for improvement.

It's one of those things where i'm excited to see where the next year takes me but also disappointed thinking "why didn't I try this years ago" but oh well. Nothing I can do about it now. Just have to keep trying to get better.

You were trying to save money and you thought the rest of us using these tensors were idiots. No biggie. There are many like you so welcome to the real world.

Your touch and short game may suffer a bit so be ready for that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
You were trying to save money and you thought the rest of us using these tensors were idiots. No biggie. There are many like you so welcome to the real world.

Well you're 90% right. I was trying to save money and i thought that the upgrade difference wasn't that great. I didn't think tensor people where idiots. :) I just thought the difference was small. I was wrong.

For first night with it, I'm very happy with my play. I'll be on the lookout for short game adjustments. Thanks for the tip.

says Aging is a killer
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by suds79
Random question time.

I'm watching a match and i could have sworn a guy took a towel break at 3-4. But i'm also at work so i could have missed it. :)

Anyways. If you're allowed a towel break every 6 points, you usually see players utilize this at 6, 12, 18 , etc. But what if you didn't use the towel break after the 6th point, did you miss your moment and have to wait until 12? or can you take it any time and your 6 point counter starts there?

Not a big deal but just curious if anyone knows.

No, you can only take a towel break at every 6th point. Imagine a doubles match where every player takes his/her towel break at a different time. It would give a hard time to the poor referee :D
Anyway players often clear their hands on the table close to the net or on the side of the table.

At lower levels, this is one of those rules where umpires will apply some leeway depending on the circumstances. Just don't try and take advantage. Be polite to your opponent and the umpire, ask for permission.
Eg. A spectacle wearer glasses has fogged up. The playing conditions are very humid. the players have sweated heavily and the table and/or ball is wet. etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think somebody asked this before, the rules is multiple of 6 points , it was specifically designed to not let the players take a break whenever they want. If they skip one, they have to wait for the next one.
Towel Break ITTF Rule Handbook Screenshot.jpg

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by suds79
Random question time.

I'm watching a match and i could have sworn a guy took a towel break at 3-4. But i'm also at work so i could have missed it. :)

Anyways. If you're allowed a towel break every 6 points, you usually see players utilize this at 6, 12, 18 , etc. But what if you didn't use the towel break after the 6th point, did you miss your moment and have to wait until 12? or can you take it any time and your 6 point counter starts there?

Not a big deal but just curious if anyone knows.

At lower levels, this is one of those rules where umpires will apply some leeway depending on the circumstances. Just don't try and take advantage. Be polite to your opponent and the umpire, ask for permission.
Eg. A spectacle wearer glasses has fogged up. The playing conditions are very humid. the players have sweated heavily and the table and/or ball is wet. etc.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
So I was talking to a buddy I've kinda been help train here at work who competed in a tournament this last weekend I couldn't go to. I heard he took 1st place in the D division. I was happy for him, said congrats.

Then come to find out today that his main training partner, who took 1st in C, had an agreement with him. That my co-worker would tank to get into D and his friend gets into C. All because they're basically afraid to play each other. They never play matches. I don't know if it's a cultural thing but I let my co-worker have it saying that's one of the biggest pu$$y moves I've seen and now his trophy, which for some reason he's big on. To me they're just cheap plastic space eaters, is meaningless.

SMH at the whole situation. I think he now knows to never do that again but man what a D-bag move.

Any of you ever have some stories of cheating at tournaments?

At our state games i saw 1st hand the tactic of someone's leg muscle tightening up when he was a game away from losing. SMH. Didn't want to drop the points. I know one way to rectify that I've heard is that if someone does that, they're done for the day which makes sense. Unfortunately in that case, that really was that guys' last match of the day. Maybe it's possible it really happened but it just seemed awfully fishy to me.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So I was talking to a buddy I've kinda been help train here at work who competed in a tournament this last weekend I couldn't go to. I heard he took 1st place in the D division. I was happy for him, said congrats.

Then come to find out today that his main training partner, who took 1st in C, had an agreement with him. That my co-worker would tank to get into D and his friend gets into C. All because they're basically afraid to play each other. They never play matches. I don't know if it's a cultural thing but I let my co-worker have it saying that's one of the biggest pu$$y moves I've seen and now his trophy, which for some reason he's big on. To me they're just cheap plastic space eaters, is meaningless.

SMH at the whole situation. I think he now knows to never do that again but man what a D-bag move.

Any of you ever have some stories of cheating at tournaments?

At our state games i saw 1st hand the tactic of someone's leg muscle tightening up when he was a game away from losing. SMH. Didn't want to drop the points. I know one way to rectify that I've heard is that if someone does that, they're done for the day which makes sense. Unfortunately in that case, that really was that guys' last match of the day. Maybe it's possible it really happened but it just seemed awfully fishy to me.

You lose points once you start a match and lose, no matter what the reason you lose. The issue must have been a later match, not the match being played.

As for what your buddy did, yes, personalities and cultures are different. I don't think I would have chosen that approach, but I have defaulted matches where I knew I couldn't play 100% against a clubmate and it was what it was going to take to win.

This user has no status.
my 3rd summer tournament here
i reported on the 1st one. the 2nd tournament had less people and the standard of play was lower. i had 5wins/1 loss losing to the eventual winner, ranked 200 points above me, but who must have been much better younger. all wins were easy but this guy was really above. i fought hard as he was playing a bit carelessly at times and gave away some points, but when it really mattered he scored. All his serves were very high quality and that proved to be his decisive advantage. on the scoreboard 0-3 (-9 -4 -10). i made a come back from 5-9 and 7-10 in the last but missed my chance by trying too hard on my 3rd ball attack on the last match point.

yesterdays tournament was much more interesting. in the group phase an easy win. then i play a teenager 150 lower on ranking but i can see he's good. i trash him 11-2 the first set, but a bad start in the 2nd and his confidence is rising while mine is going down. he gets this set. the 3rd set is a battle where i try to prevail with my consistency but at 9-9 with my serve i choke, lose and lose that game. the guy played well for his level but its more me losing my nerves than anything else. i think i should win easily this match. at that stage i'm very upset and thinking of going home if i don't make it to the main draw.

but in the qualifying round i am lucky to play a beginner. in best 32, i play a guy with same ranking, i can see he tries to impress me with strong attacks, but i like that with my blocks, and he's making too many mistakes. i play conservatively, no easy misses, attack the right balls, focus on serve receive and ready to play rallies. 13-11 in the 1st game only but it was more about me staying calm. once i won this set, 11-6 and 11-5 follows for a good win.

then i play a guy 400 points above. but it doesn't feel this way even i lost 0-3. i matched him in every sector and in every set up to 8-8 or 9-8 for me. then its not him playing better and tightening the game, but just me losing my calm and nerves (serve miss, 3rd ball attack where i overplay instead of playing like previous points...), and giving him away the match.

I play again a guy which is the same ranking. he tries also to impress me, but he's making many mistakes while i'm playing still well as the previous matches gave me confidence. very convincing win 3-0 (8 6 5). he was utterly disgusted.

then i play the old long pimples guy 200 above me. he trashed me last week 3-0. but this time i had a plan, and i no longer made any beginner mistakes on his topspin LP pushes. I was able to counter them either BH or FH pivot. I had difficulties on some of his unusual serve combos, ultimately that saved him. I lost 9-11 in the first, had set point in the 2nd but lost it 11-13. i won 11-9 in the 3rd. True he upped his game in the 4th with some new combos. but i feel if i won the 1st or 2nd set, he's really in trouble because he would have had more pressure and even if he upped in the game, that would be earlier and i have time to adapt. i lost to small details in those 2 first sets.

last match another older guy 200 above but attacking style. i am even closer than the previous guy. in serve receive or rallies we are very close. i lose 9-11 the first set, have 2 set points in the 2nd but lose 11-13, dominate the 3rd set 11-4 and lose 5-11 in the 4th but contrarily to the previous match, its more about having a bad start and me feeling the pressure and starting to make mistakes than the guy upping his level. The guy was a bit tired and if I had more calm to win the 1st and/or 2nd i believe i could have won. in the 1st 2nd and 3rd set i was playing really well.

all in all, apart from the match with the teenager i performed rather ok but still i want to win, losing 0-3 1-3 or 2-3 is all the same to me, and i cannot get those wins against those better players YET, although i can see that i'm getting closer and closer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello TTD CCer's:

I've been busy with work as well as at home. My eldest is taking driving lessons and i've been practicing driving with her. Have not played TT in 4-5 weeks :(

Will catch up on this thread when i have time.

May all the net and edge balls go your way!

~osph

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

#OHMYGUOYUEHUA

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Thank you Sir, needed that!

Yeah, i still don't have a feel for it, balls bounce right off and doesn't always land in or pop way high :(

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
#OHMYGUOYUEHUA

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Thank you Sir, needed that!

Yeah, i still don't have a feel for it, balls bounce right off and doesn't always land in or pop way high :(

Yeah. MX-P and T80FX are not for people who want to compromise. The stuff that helps you compromise is slower than that. But still isn't as cheap or slow as cheap tacky rubber.

There is the Hexer/Baracuda/Genius generation of tensors. And even the stuff suds79 chose is not that bad either. The -S evolutions are not that bouncy compare to the -P.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
My playing level is still dropping but I like the game too much to stop playing. So screw my playing level.

I am reconceiving my forehand stroke for what I hope will be the final time. I have decided to go back to a spinny forehand with off the bounce elements whether as a short or large stroke.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
yes sir ! totally agree ... as long as we are having fun who cares about playing level, I have learnt to reminisce and take pleasure in hitting one "wonder shot" a day as much as beating somebody higher level ...
My playing level is still dropping but I like the game too much to stop playing. So screw my playing level.