Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
My deep cover got blown full open at the LA Open. I was embedded right in the middle of the Fat/Fifty crowd written off as harmless, washed up, and over the hill...

I am waiting for the Intel report to get posted by usatt.

I will be forced to allow the Goon Squad to wipe me out, then start a new identity 6 months later.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

i suggest plastic surgery and the loss of weight to look like Don Knotts for a new look.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
So last night at club I had an unfortunate incident at club.

Was playing a club match vs this one player who has a tendency to do this. Talking during a point.

I hit a nice shot that surprises him. He blocks it back and during my stroke he says "nice shot". It's a quick exchange so I don't think it's deliberate and I know he's just trying to be nice. I get that. Still, he's done it before. It breaks my concentration. I missed my next hit as he was talking to me during my stroke.

After the point I did not ask for a let or claim he was breaking any type of rules (even though I'm pretty sure he is). I simply said "Hey would you mind not talking during my shot?" I know based on tone there's several ways one could put that but it was honestly just said as normal as can be. All he had to do was say "sure. no problem" and we would have moved on.

He comes back at me with "You know you've said that to me before all I said was nice shot. Just forget it." and walks away. Quits the game.

I follow him saying "Rick seriously you're not going to finish the game? All I'm asking is for you to not distract me during my stroke."

I probably didn't need to follow him to say that given I knew there was no way he'd come back to finish the game but I wasn't about to let him badmouth me to two other club mates who just showed up as I hear him saying to them "I just said nice shot.". I wanted my side of the story to be heard to let it be known that he said it during the middle of a point and right during my stroke.

In the end he left club right then and honestly it soured the night for me as it was hard to move on from that feeling good about that club night.

Am I crazy? Should I just have let it go? It really does break my concentration during my stroke. It's a close game so I need to focus. This guy plays everyday and plays in about 1 tournament a month so I'm shocked he hasn't run into this before.

Thoughts or anyone had an experience like this before talking during a point?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Training hard today. Whos played???
playing nearly everyday but not reporting it all, the thread is a bit deserted at the mom. Where are NL and OSP ?

Today i was playing very well. Against my strongest teammate, after a few drills we had a match and this time although i lost 1-3 , I was very close, and with a bit more luck and/or a few details it could have been another outcome.

I beated another guy 3-0 very easily, he's not strong but somehow until now he was giving me some trouble. so a good result. and even better, i beat a junior guy, a chopper JSH style, couldn't beat him even once for months and months, and thats the 2nd time (in a row) I get him. By the tightest of margins, like last time, 9 in the decider, but for months when he was winning, it was often by a tight margin. He looked a bit upset, obviously his confidence took a hit. Because he's the one who's supposed to get better, not me ! :)

I lost 0-3 to a more advanced experienced player (2-3 levels above me), a very agressive short pips oldfashioned PH. He trashed me in the 1st 2 sets. But in the 3rd, i played better, started to understand how to get his serves and managed to score 8 points, almost all of them winners. and I missed a near penalty. So .... i hope in a short future i'll start to snatch a few sets from him to begin with.

All my training with coach is starting to pay off. Definitely i'm 1 level up from last year, or even a few months ago. Now if I can fix a bit more my replacement after my serve and after a short stroke (often after receiving), and improve the FH flick , I believe I will win suddenly a lot more tournament matches. There is also a lot of margin for improving in serve/receive. Beyond that , incremental progress will be more difficult, but I still believe i'm not too old to get better YET.

This user has no status.
In the last couple of weeks I'm excited that I've learned the reverse pendulum serve. It took about a week of practice with constant terrible misses and wild serves. I finally have it pretty consistent. I can get a lot of spin on a short side-topspin serve (winning points outright) and the side-backspin variation is progressing. I just won two aces in a row, served side-topspin and my opponent hit it off the table, then served side-backspin and my opponent overcompensated and hit it into the net.

I'm going to abandon my hook serve, and concentrate on my pendulum and reverse pendulum for the future. I think they have better potential for variation and control if I can eventually master them.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Congratulations, IMO variation and control is easier in hook serves, but reverse pendulum has a higher upper limit on how much spin you can create .. primary because of increased engagement of the wrist , where as in hook serve , most of the momentum is coming from the waist and shoulder ...

In the last couple of weeks I'm excited that I've learned the reverse pendulum serve. It took about a week of practice with constant terrible misses and wild serves. I finally have it pretty consistent. I can get a lot of spin on a short side-topspin serve (winning points outright) and the side-backspin variation is progressing. I just won two aces in a row, served side-topspin and my opponent hit it off the table, then served side-backspin and my opponent overcompensated and hit it into the net.

I'm going to abandon my hook serve, and concentrate on my pendulum and reverse pendulum for the future. I think they have better potential for variation and control if I can eventually master them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I’m filling in for someone tomorrow in First division provinciaal competition. That’s gonna be an adventure. I’m not sure how it compares with USATT ratings, but most players in that division are C0 to B6 (B0 and upwards are semi-pro and pro players). I try to record some of my games tomorrow so that you guys can share in my pain of (highly probable) loss. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Table tennis players are all psychopaths

True.

I was watching a match between two top ranked 13 year olds last weekend who was playing in the same competition as myself (in a different ranking class). One of the kids was crying while serving and his opponent was talking very loudly to himself. The match kind of shifted back and forth and the kid that was initially crying started to look extremely happy like he was on drugs which in turn made the other kid look like he was about to start crying.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
True.

I was watching a match between two top ranked 13 year olds last weekend who was playing in the same competition as myself (in a different ranking class). One of the kids was crying while serving and his opponent was talking very loudly to himself. The match kind of shifted back and forth and the kid that was initially crying started to look extremely happy like he was on drugs which in turn made the other kid look like he was about to start crying.

I played a nine year old that would mumble to himself angrily after each missed shot, and when lost, yelled at top of his voice and smashed the bat on table before going to his mom. I wonder how creating such competitive expectations from a small boy can affect him later on in life. Thses kind of parents are basically abusing their children psychologically in my opinion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I played a nine year old that would mumble to himself angrily after each missed shot, and when lost, yelled at top of his voice and smashed the bat on table before going to his mom. I wonder how creating such competitive expectations from a small boy can affect him later on in life. Thses kind of parents are basically abusing their children psychologically in my opinion.

Sent from my using Tapatalk

Agree. I also find it extremely strange that the parents won't step in more often and basically tell them to behave. I see this so often so I've almost stopped reacting.

Reactions: perham
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Agree. I also find it extremely strange that the parents won't step in more often and basically tell them to behave. I see this so often so I've almost stopped reacting.

This is how we get a generation of narcissistic psychopaths. With no moral code, the kida will grow up to feel entitled and selfish.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Hi fellow TTD'ers!

As some of you might have noticed, I haven't been around much for quite some time.

Due to circumstances, I really haven't played that much this year. The main reason for this is that I've been suffering from physical discomforts for many months. I guess the most annoying part was that even after several examinations, the doctors couldn't really put their finger on it, which caused worries. Anyway, recently I'm doing much better, and I also started to play again. Today was my first evening at the club since a while, and I also tried my new racket for the first time ;). It's a Yasaka Sweden Extra frame again, but now with regular Rakza 7 rubbers instead of the the soft version. I guess this is a good way to determine what suits me most when it comes to rubber hardness, since my lack of experience couldn't provide that answer yet.

See you around!