Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
you got some vids with Bh killshots?nice to seee you stepping it up since vid 2.
Keep it up,my man!

Sorry, I do not have any video of BH kill-shot. Nothing significant for show & tell. My BH, is not so strong and is mainly use to support and set-up for my FH.

Reactions: Haraold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Hello everyone and a good evening,

Below are some short video of my training tonight.

Hi Gozo, good to see you improving and having a lot of fun doing it. Random drills are good. Do you also practice Falkenberg? Other people mentioned being more bouncy on the feet, which you agreed to. I think Falkenberg helps there, especially in the 3-Falkenberg (FH only), after playing FH in the BH-corner, if you do the Zwischenschritt, immediate little intermediate mini bounce, it helps significantly to move smoothly to the right side for the next FH shot. I mean, it is good to do always, just there the difference between doing and not-doing is markant for me. Cheers.

Mar 2021
Hi Gozo, good to see you improving and having a lot of fun doing it. Random drills are good. Do you also practice Falkenberg? Other people mentioned being more bouncy on the feet, which you agreed to. I think Falkenberg helps there, especially in the 3-Falkenberg (FH only), after playing FH in the BH-corner, if you do the Zwischenschritt, immediate little intermediate mini bounce, it helps significantly to move smoothly to the right side for the next FH shot. I mean, it is good to do always, just there the difference between doing and not-doing is markant for me. Cheers.
Farkyerbyrd Falkenberg drill FH 3 points? Nope, never! Coach knows my physical limitation of lugging my blubber along the court. However, I have done 2 BH + 1 FH ( mid point ) + 1 FH ( far FH side ) regularly in my training session.

Reactions: NextLevel
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I'm new here.

Hi all. I thought it would be good to do my first post on the biggest thread here. Just learning how to update my equipment in the profile 😁

TTD uses an AI algorithm, it detects your TT purchases and mandates you buy at least 25 TT equipments before you can update your prifile. :D

• Haha
Reactions: jammmail
Mar 2021

TTD uses an AI algorithm, it detects your TT purchases and mandates you buy at least 25 TT equipments before you can update your prifile. :D
1. If you use shakehand blade, the requirement drops to 20 equipments
2. If you use shakehand butterfly blade, the requirement drops to 15 equipments
3. If you use shakehand butterfly blade with one side butterfly rubber, the requirement drops to 10 equipments
4. If you use shakehand butterfly blade with both side butterfly rubber, the requirement drops to 8 equipments
5. If you use shakehand butterfly blade with one side Tenergy / Dignics, the requirement drops to 5 equipments
6. If you use shakehand butterfly blade with both side Tenergy / Dignics, the requirement drops to 0 equipments, i.e., you get instant access to all TTD features. Welcome aboard.

7. If you use Penhold, equipment requirement + 3
8. If you use Penhold, with unconventional rubber ( long pips / short pips / anti ) you will be never get any access... EVER!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
How do the nations on earth say "Creaky Knees" ???

Der_Echte is seriously struggling with chronic knee joint light medium pain and the niggle injury getting ever frequent of MCL light tear grade 1 and 2. Pretty much cannot walk normally, but there is no severe grade II tear kinda pain. A really hard session competing in tennis got me what felt like a light grade II mcl tear (L) and a grade I (R) MCL. Plus the joints are aches I did not have before Tennis.

I find that if I stay at home consecutive days (2-3 days) and do zero sport, but simply rest, my knees get WORSE... sometimes a grade I turns into a grade II.

I find that if I say screw it and ride my bike 12 km for an hour or two of light tennis or ride 16 km for 3 hrs of goof off TT, then my knees are extra creaky on the bike ride home, but are none the worse for wear. At night, they are extra aches and painz, but in the morning, I can walk better than the day before.

I just had a week end where I stayed at home 3 days and stuff got worse, then I copped an attitude and went out for tennis on Sun and Mon PM where I played 2-3 sets each day going at it, but limping to position not exceeding my knee's ability... the ride home was kinda hurting, the getting sleep position worse, but movement in the AM and throughout the day was BETTER.

I have always believed in exercising an injury within its limits, and that rest was also good... but my empirical evidence, as short as it is these last few eeks shows I have a net benefit if I get off my azz and ride bike and play tennis/TT.

Somebody tell me I am smoking the same stuff as Hunter Biden or eating salad greens that have California grown mushrooms...

Somebody tell me I should quit riding the bike... I will look at you like crazy, the thing I do know is that bike riding is good medicine for the knees.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Der_Echte is seriously struggling with chronic knee joint light medium pain and the niggle injury getting ever frequent of MCL light tear grade 1 and 2. Pretty much cannot walk normally, but there is no severe grade II tear kinda pain. A really hard session competing in tennis got me what felt like a light grade II mcl tear (L) and a grade I (R) MCL. Plus the joints are aches I did not have before Tennis.

I find that if I stay at home consecutive days (2-3 days) and do zero sport, but simply rest, my knees get WORSE... sometimes a grade I turns into a grade II.

I find that if I say screw it and ride my bike 12 km for an hour or two of light tennis or ride 16 km for 3 hrs of goof off TT, then my knees are extra creaky on the bike ride home, but are none the worse for wear. At night, they are extra aches and painz, but in the morning, I can walk better than the day before.

I just had a week end where I stayed at home 3 days and stuff got worse, then I copped an attitude and went out for tennis on Sun and Mon PM where I played 2-3 sets each day going at it, but limping to position not exceeding my knee's ability... the ride home was kinda hurting, the getting sleep position worse, but movement in the AM and throughout the day was BETTER.

I have always believed in exercising an injury within its limits, and that rest was also good... but my empirical evidence, as short as it is these last few eeks shows I have a net benefit if I get off my azz and ride bike and play tennis/TT.

Somebody tell me I am smoking the same stuff as Hunter Biden or eating salad greens that have California grown mushrooms...

Somebody tell me I should quit riding the bike... I will look at you like crazy, the thing I do know is that bike riding is good medicine for the knees.

GOSH ! You are a moaning bitch. 🤣🤣
But jokes apart, please show me a picture of the knee supports you are using and don't tell me you are not using any.

Knees are for me also a constant worry and will likely be one of the parts of my body that will finally let go and stop my TT career. Other parts could be my back, my shoulder, my hips and of course my left wrist.

I have replaced my bike with an electric one. I can now adjust the load on my knees much better, give them , and the rest of my body just enough load so that cycling still makes me sweat but not as much as to me ending up in pain.

I am sorry that you are in such a predicament but of course it is all part of the aging process. Once you reach the point where you never go for a training session or a tournament without taking pain killers first , you will have started to knock on my door : The fun of the golden age has began. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Mar 2021
19.09.22, Monday.

Dear diary,

Tonight was a fantastic night because I managed to beat a higher level player. The score was 4-2 in my favour and my opponent did not give me handicap point, i.e., we started the set at 0-0. So, how did I win this difficult match?

1. Service. By adding wrist power thus increasing the ball rotation, this negated one of his main weapon, i.e., BH flicks. He lost a number of points trying to attack my serves. In the end he could only cut my serves.

2. Cutting long to the baseline and forcing him to cut back long so that I can open up more easily and initiate my offense. One slow spinny loop to open up and then followed by a smash / loop-kill. NB: Cut is another term for push.

3. Open-up. Open up with placement variation. Some are aimed at his body or cross-over point and some at his BH with deep placement near the base-line. I purposely avoided his FH as that is his kill-zone.

Good night.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Last Saturday was a highlight of my modest TT career.

I registered with my buddy E for the Japanese National Doubles Championships. Don't worry, of course we don't have the level, but it's an open competition, anybody can register, even 2 French guys (long term residents) in this country. We went there not because we were expecting to win anything but because we could. Actually i showed up 2 years ago, paired with an American guy and we lost in R1 of qualifiers to a very strong pair (they made it to the main tournament and won a few rounds there)

So we went there, with a very nice uniform, we had not only the same blue Tshirt, but also red shorts (tricolore !)
When we saw the draw, we were surprised. I knew one guy of the opposing pair in Round1, a modest veteran player that ive played and always beaten in amateur tournaments. i didn't know his buddy but during the warmup i noticed he had difficulties to control our FH topspin drive, while E is a player well above me so i thought we would win this match quite easily, and i was quite excited about having the luck of facing another "tourist pair" and obtaining a win at the national champs (even its only the qualifying event)

Furthermore we had been practicing for a month specially for doubles. Here goes Game1. in less than 3minutes, we're already down 1-9. The veteran guy plays with long pimples and its like i don't know how it works, I miss every ball that he touches with it. its a nightmare. we manage to come back a bit 7-11. in Game2, we're not playing great still but we're more focused, and im not playing behind the LP guy, we get a 4 point lead, but E misses an easy ball, then loses his confidence and starts making mistakes. at 9-9 under pressure, i miss 2 FH topspins, and we're 0-2 down !!! The referee was wondering perhaps wtf we were doing there.

I really was angry at myself and thought I'd never forgive myself to lose such a match, and was pretty sure we would lose, but its a team play i didn't say anything negative to my partner, just that we could still win and should fight, and it depended on us. Game3 was almost like Game2, we had a 4 point lead, then they came back to deuce, and had a match point 11-10, with their serve, fortunately E didn't miss his receive and the other player netted the ball.
That was the turning point. We came back to 2-2. In Game5, it was their turn to have a lead, 7-3, but we came back. We had found at that point a winning tactic and even when ahead, we could see in their body language they were not confident at all. With extra care and focus, the came back was completed 11-8

if it happened in any other tournament, we wouldn't be happy at all, but here oh my boy it did feel good afterwards. We choked but still made it.

in Round2, we were playing a very strong pair, one of the guys was a national uni champ (Numamura). They didn't see surprised to play against 2 foreigners. They also played very professionally, attacking full swing / full power and left us with no chance. we were ultra-dominated in serve/receive and i can remember only 1 opportunity to make a BH opening topspin that i missed largely, and 1 semi-opportunity to make a FH topspin during a rally but the ball was a bit out of reach from me and low. our few points came from ace serves, ace receives and blocks, and a couple mistakes from their side.

I hope to come back stronger with a higher play level, because we've not even shown 1 good rally against the strong guys, but on paper, our victory remains, and is probably the first one ever from a European pair at the Japanese Championships. We are making history !

---
btw i've regaining form lately. I was at a low in August. I'm playing much better and in another tournament (at our level) i got the best win of the year against a chopper. It was a very curious match, because ive watched the guy play doubles before playing my match, and he had really a good FH topspin, hitting many winners, didn't see him miss anything. And when we played, he played only defence against me, like a chopper, or with lobs. not attacking at all. I was surprised. Was it because he saw me play my first match where i was playing very poorly because i wasn't warmed up yet, and my opponent (veteran, beginner level) was playing too slowly which i don't like ? it was like it was a handicap match. and i love lobs, i seldom miss smashes. I didn't miss a single one on that day. I don't understand why he kept trying to win points with lobbing.

anyway, i was quite clumsy in Game1, struggling to drive against backspin, and lost 6-11. But i played well in Game2. I had trained earlier this week against a chopper coach, and started to find the rhythm and feeling as if i was playing against him. i win G2 easily but somehow G3 i rush too much and miss everything, losing it 3-11. Fortunately i recover my mind, and start to playing again like against the coach. I don't miss drives any more. can loop, can drive fast , in both corners, can push back short against his defence. i dominate G4
In G5 i am up 7-0 with 3 or 4 lucky points (edge / nets). ONLY THEN he decides to attack finally with his FH. I am surprised and stunned. his FH is quick spinny, well placed, and he comes back to 7-7

but i don't panic, im serving, and he's been struggling all the match with my BH serve, and i serve well the next 2 points, so i can attack first, and i win the 2 ensuing rallies. Then he serves, and attacks first, I counterloop his 1st drive, but he counters even faster while pivoting. I have a reaction counterloop shot in the empty crosscourt, like on TV (body stayed low, short stroke, taking the ball in front of me) that was the point of the day. with my serve, i am able to close the match 11-8

its really strange to play a guy that plays 1 or 2 levels below his true level, and only starts playing his level from down 0-7 in the decider. thank you mate. it was a team tournament, and he made his team lose. i can't remember playing such a strange match and i've been playing for several decades.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
lodro,

when doing sport, I am now wearing elastic knee sleeves. They do an excellent job of stabilizing the knee and supporting ti. They are very inexpensive and many pro sports people wear these on their knees and elbows. I guess there was a good reason for these compression sleeves.

Reactions: Haraold
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

Hi Der,

Still getting over some knee issues myself, my physio said I should get on a bike, she said it's very good for strengthening and keeping movement of the joint etc. This is probable more for issues in the knee, not sure about muscular issues etc.
Regarding knee supports, she said I could use one if I wanted to, but not for long periods, she said they can help with support and confidence, however they can hinder strengthening of the knee if used too much / often. Having said that I'm sure that they are advisable in other instances that differ from the injury I have.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hi Der,

Still getting over some knee issues myself, my physio said I should get on a bike, she said it's very good for strengthening and keeping movement of the joint etc. This is probable more for issues in the knee, not sure about muscular issues etc.
Regarding knee supports, she said I could use one if I wanted to, but not for long periods, she said they can help with support and confidence, however they can hinder strengthening of the knee if used too much / often. Having said that I'm sure that they are advisable in other instances that differ from the injury I have.

As someone with pretty harsh arthritis, I have found two things helpful - muscle development to stabilize joint and eating a lot less sugar.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

As someone with pretty harsh arthritis, I have found two things helpful - muscle development to stabilize joint and eating a lot less sugar.

One more thing that might be specific to Der_Echte's current scenario: not trying to be Mat Hoffman and fly on his bike!

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
images

Lets hope that Der doesn't put this on his Christmas list!!!!! things could get real messy, real quick!!!!!!!