Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Last night

I went to the club, first time back this week, last time was last week Monday.

Hit/played for pretty close to 2.5 hrs straight :eek:

I wanted to take a break, really i did... but i haven't been at the club in months and members/friends wanted to hit with me... i may have overdid it with 2.5 hrs straight but i had fun

Hit with K for 1 hr straight... tried the American Hinoki as well as my regular Nexy Amazon ... K noted that when i hit with the AH i was faster meaning the paddle was lighter (even with 2 sheets of Tenergy ... although paddle is noticeably smaller than other CPens I've used which factors in the light weight) and when i hit with the Nexy Amazon, i was slower, meaning paddle is heavier ... but strange feeling for me, the Amazon is light to begin with for me, have MX-P and LP OX so it's pretty light ... interesting observation from K.

The months off was still noticeable... timing off ... flat-footed ... slow to move to ball

A little shoulder ache, way better than a few months ago... body aches all over ... lol

Someone showed up, so we started a set... -8, -6, -2 lost 3 straight to K - the great football coach/legend Bear Bryant said: "Fatigue makes cowards of us all" ... pooped on 3rd game lol ... mostly me missing, but instead of playing soley defensive, K has added a pretty good BH smash ... M2 estimates K to be ~1900 now ... K had some offensive winners. Tough to beat him in the past, now even tougher... think he is still a good gauge for me to judge my 'unretirement'.
Perhaps my worst enemy, my Ego, is still thinking i can beat K but i lack the consistency in my game ... K is a good practice partner.

Went to another table. "Mommy" likes to hit with me, i am a little better than her, but usually generally if we are just hitting, i'm looking to be steady and not hit each ball for winners regardless of partner, even the ones who are exactly doing that ... hitting each ball for winners during warmup/practice.

J. shows up after about 15 mins hitting with Mommy. He convinces her to let him hit with me. We hit maybe 15 mins and then P. cuts in and J. gives P. a chance to hit with me. All along, I'm tired but i keep hitting and blocking for my partners.

With P., when i first hit with him last year, he was learning modern PH... at some point he gave up on it and converted to SH. IMO overall, he has better footwork and better strokes than me. Needs work on serves and overall tactics/game. We hit FH, then BH and then serves/receives/rallies. Really tried to have short pendulum stroke and focusing on whip mechanics ... not successful on the whip ... tried quite a few nospin serves ... not sure if it's P.'s lack of receive game or my nospin which threw him off, but some popups, and some of his 2nd balls netted. Some of my cross-court rocket serves slowly coming back ... no sense of where the table is on rocket down-the-line ... missed a few.

After 30 mins with P., J. hops back on. We hit for 15 mins when i asked for a break. Had 5 mins and saw Mommy on a table with no partner. Despite wanting to rest, i went to hit with her as we were interrupted earlier by J. Hit 15 mins before i said i can't anymore. Mommy commented that a few members like hitting with me and we both know it's because i aim to be steady and not kill the shots... let them work their strokes/game.

Bottom line i had fun ... good workout. Looking forward to next week.

Some thoughts on the American Hinoki

I'm not a great nor even a good looper, but with the AH it seemed i was a tad better with loop/FH topspin strokes. The punch is not bad ... i've not sanded the wings yet and it 'ate' into my index finger quite a bit. Where the AH failed me was the transition from one wing to the other ... in all likelihood it's because i didn't sand the wings and it was hard to turn the racket ... also, partly reflexes have been dulled from months off from TT. The AH has not worked well for me on pure blocks ... partly due to lack of sanding of the wings, but mostly blade is not a blocker unlike the Nexy Amazon.

I'm not a great EJ/reviewer as I have limited experience with various equipment. So please forgive my 'review'/thoughts.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
@OSPH : I don't know whats going to happen if we ever get the chance to hit, probably both of us would end up blocking :p

No worries, just as long as you spot me 9 ;-)

EDIT: and one way or another we will hit one day!!

GOON SQUAD EASTCOAST WESTCOAST MISSION!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I went to the league on Tuesday, eager to show off my new supersonic forehand loop and my new commitment to footwork. Yes, I am now doing footwork exercises (one step BH footwork, two step FH footwork, cross footwork, pivot footwork and "I am tired as hell, I will turn into a tree" footwork. During my first match, my opponent, a 2200+ College Freshman who hasn't lost to me in almost two years, decided to beat me with his pushing game and I was going to have none of it as I won the first game 11-9. The second game, I am down 7-9 and I loop and my upper back muscle tightens and that is all she wrote. Lost the last two games without a real fight as I couldn't do anything with my forehand without feeling the pain. I defaulted from the other league matches.

So I am trying to heal my right upper back while preparing for the PA State tournament on Sunday. Feels a bit better, will get a massage tomorrow afternoon.

All this said, my forehand loop has taken a massive jump in quality - technique, I am not sure about.

Roll that footage...

This user has no status.
I am in holiday in Europe. I brought a racket with me and went to my old club.

I played with my old teammate, we were already there more than 20 years ago... No jetlag on my side this time, i also had a run a few days before, so despite not having played for more than 2 weeks i thought i was in reasonably good form.
My friend is about the same level than me, its almost always close matches. But i thought with my coaching lessons in Japan and with him gradually spending less time training, i would finally get clearly above him but i underperformed my expectations.
We played 3 matches, lost the 1st 2-3 despite coming down from 1 set to 2 and 7-10. that hurts. in the second, i won the first set easily but lost 1-2 (3 set game). in the 3rd last match i was ahead 2 nil very easily but i lost easily the next 2, but i managed to win the decider 11-7.

In a pattern which seems now too familiar, my BH blocks and counters were solid, however my FH was quite weak. My footwork was really bad and my serving horrible. I really felt I didn't know how to make a FH topspin anymore. I think I can find some reasons is the interruption in my normal training schedule, and also the fact of playing with different balls that im used to (in Japan we always play with Nittaku 3* premium Pball), and it was not my usual racket (dead rubbers) but its not a 100% excuse.

Indeed,during the last game of my last competition it was the same. and 2 days ago i went to another club (in Belgium), it was the same. i thought i would be in form as i had played in France and had another run, and i also bought new rubbers but i lost 1-3 to a local guy which i believe i could/should win. won the 1st set easily but he was more agressive later and i didn't adapt. He really trashed me in the 3rd and 4th. I was totally lost with the ball, my lack of touch, and i really had problems with my footwork and my FH. it didn't help either that the floor was very very slippery there.

I really wonder what it will be like when i'm home again. i am afraid it will take a few weeks to get to my pre-vacation level.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
A while back I took a break and came back playing fantastic, almost like the break made me better.

This time, I took a 2-3 week break (I know not much of a break compared to how big a lot of your breaks probably end up being), and I play like garbage. I can't feel the ball anymore and had to go back to wood. The moment I switched to my wooden paddle, it all came flooding back.

<3 wood is the greatest thing in the world and I have no idea why I keep switching back to carbon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I did watch a few minutes after 3rd set and then stopped :) .

You played really well in the 3rd but be careful of the ball toss in case somebody makes an issue out of it , the first two serves and then one later in the game did not look legit from the video ... again purely by the book , nobody would have problems in returning it , just that the highest point of the ball after it gets released from the palm did not look like 6 inches ..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

Sir,

UGH, sorry to hear ... wish you a speedy and healthy recovery!

Didn't have a chance to watch the whole vid ... I'm not familiar with your history with this partner other than your comment of him not having lost to you in ~2 yrs. He didn't seem to be only pushing ... to my eyes he seemed like he was playing steady and seeing if you will make mistakes.

But some of your loops do seem approaching the, er, ah, um, next level! :)

~9:32 - 9:36 - sadly i do this from time to time, more often than i should

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I did watch a few minutes after 3rd set and then stopped :) .

You played really well in the 3rd but be careful of the ball toss in case somebody makes an issue out of it , the first two serves and then one later in the game did not look legit from the video ... again purely by the book , nobody would have problems in returning it , just that the highest point of the ball after it gets released from the palm did not look like 6 inches ..

I need to work on keeping my arm parallel to the ground when tossing, it is the fact that it doesn't that causes this illusion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Sir,

First and foremost, enjoy your holiday! Safe sojourns!!

Frame it positive :) You got to hit a little during holiday and it's a 'warmup' for your return to Japan ... imagine if you didn't have a chance to hit at all and playing after your holiday back in Japan?

I am in holiday in Europe. I brought a racket with me and went to my old club.

I played with my old teammate, we were already there more than 20 years ago... No jetlag on my side this time, i also had a run a few days before, so despite not having played for more than 2 weeks i thought i was in reasonably good form.
My friend is about the same level than me, its almost always close matches. But i thought with my coaching lessons in Japan and with him gradually spending less time training, i would finally get clearly above him but i underperformed my expectations.
We played 3 matches, lost the 1st 2-3 despite coming down from 1 set to 2 and 7-10. that hurts. in the second, i won the first set easily but lost 1-2 (3 set game). in the 3rd last match i was ahead 2 nil very easily but i lost easily the next 2, but i managed to win the decider 11-7.

In a pattern which seems now too familiar, my BH blocks and counters were solid, however my FH was quite weak. My footwork was really bad and my serving horrible. I really felt I didn't know how to make a FH topspin anymore. I think I can find some reasons is the interruption in my normal training schedule, and also the fact of playing with different balls that im used to (in Japan we always play with Nittaku 3* premium Pball), and it was not my usual racket (dead rubbers) but its not a 100% excuse.

Indeed,during the last game of my last competition it was the same. and 2 days ago i went to another club (in Belgium), it was the same. i thought i would be in form as i had played in France and had another run, and i also bought new rubbers but i lost 1-3 to a local guy which i believe i could/should win. won the 1st set easily but he was more agressive later and i didn't adapt. He really trashed me in the 3rd and 4th. I was totally lost with the ball, my lack of touch, and i really had problems with my footwork and my FH. it didn't help either that the floor was very very slippery there.

I really wonder what it will be like when i'm home again. i am afraid it will take a few weeks to get to my pre-vacation level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Forgive my ignorance ... i take it your dominant hand is your right?

Congratulations on your great workout!

Yes, started playing LH so I could compete with them. I play a long pips ox bh, looping 4h.

That was one of my highest recorded calories and miles for 3 hours, usually 2-3 miles, 600-800 calories.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I was talking about the first 2 serves in game 3 ...

Yes. I am tossing the ball, the problem is that when the lower arm follows it upwards around the elbow joint, people think you didn't toss the ball - the separation thing is not physically correct in explaining what is happening. Look at this guy here:

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Causing Trouble at local club with T95MWP. Haha he got Karis on FH and he is flipping half my good serves hehe. Luckily Karis makes you want to play a counter game or I would be toast vs his strong rallying game style.

e2c79cabe3c4800a9485fea977a251d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk