Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Oh. It's okay. I'll take a 9 point handicap against you. Thanks.

DRAT! FOILED AGAIN! I would've gotten away with it if not for those pesky kids!!

lololol on me! [emoji2]

[Begin ttmonster voice]Quick! The virus is spreading and claimed yet another victim! 3rd victim in a week!

STAT! Quarantine OSPH before the virus spreads even more!!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There have been MRIs, with an assessment that things should settle down in a couple of months, with pain subsiding over time and hampered movement diminishing. Surgery is possible if things turn worse, and yes, still having some physical therapy/excercises to perform. Yet, I'm also told to keep moving freely, keeping in mind not to put too much strain and not to overexcercise. That's what I've been doing, and don't feel restricted in my movement anymore. Getting a natural rhythm back, a natural feeling of free-flowing movement, that's a different thing. Training steadily, first and foremost trying to keep enjoying the game. It doesn't matter al that much if my play is good or bad, as long as there's something to enjoy in it.

You said there was disk herniations. Did any of the damaged disks extrude some or all of the nucleus pulposus?

If no, it was bulging discs rather than herniations. And that is easier to deal with.

If you do have nucleus pulposus floating around in there, the two options are:

1) wait for it to dissipate.
2) get them to remove that material so it stops causing trouble.

The first one can take a long time.

But if it is bulging disks pressing on nerves, the exercises should help. And so should something that gently increases the lordotic curve of your cervical spin for 3-8 min at a time.

Something like this:

3587485278bf6486347dd6619cca6460.jpg

Only trouble is, that cushion is too big and too soft. And you would have to know if the bulging disk goes left, right or center to have the neck at the correct angle for YOUR condition.

Something the size of a tennis ball and the head at the correct angle to encourage the disc to go back into place could be really useful IF it is a bulging disk. But this would do nothing useful for a true herniation.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Yes, extrusions of nucleus pulposus, causing an irritative reaction leading to pressure on the cervical nerve. Hot/cold sensation, tinging, numbness, and a surprisingly high pain level ensues. Currently I'm going with option (1). That should work in the long term, if not your option (2) is the way to go. As I understand it, that may not be just a case removing material; often flexible material gets inserted between where the discs are damaged. Now doesn't sound picking the right rubber to insert between the vertebrae to ease things out like the ultimate EJ challenge? Not going there, though. Pain levels have dropped to a level I now consider to be negligible, and I think I'm moving freely. Yet the body seems to have lost nuances of its timing, balance. Basic automation is off, like it needs recalibration.

I've had (and am still doing) exercises. Some of them are conditioning, intended to improve basic stance; others are basically muscle usage and relaxation ones. Many people came with unsolicited advice and suggested to visit a chiropractor, an osteopath, a fysiotherapist. My neurologist however sternly warned me in no uncertain terms not to mess with it along these lines.

There's this thing with getting older. You need to come to terms with degradation. Sometimes it's gradual and small, and sometimes it's a bit more abrupt. I'll see how this plays out, but at some point you just realise that there's a limit to things, and that is't not the sky.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Got convinced to do a tournament over the weekend. Just played for fun, not really competitively, still placed where I was expected to place.

Lost to a 2644 player named azeez jamiu. Very nice guy, ended up staying with him as well. He's one of the best players I've had the honor of hitting with so far, so that was very fun.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Got convinced to do a tournament over the weekend. Just played for fun, not really competitively, still placed where I was expected to place.

Lost to a 2644 player named azeez jamiu. Very nice guy, ended up staying with him as well. He's one of the best players I've had the honor of hitting with so far, so that was very fun.

My buddy! Where was the event?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Isn't this the same guy who played the WestChester open final with the guy Matt calls "beast" from Lily Yip's club ? I think I remember Matt posting the match on facebook

They played the Semis at Westchester. In the second video above, he plays "beast" in the finals at Princeton. It was interesting talking to Azeez after the match. It shows you the kind of fighter he is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Okay , I think I got mixed up. I agree with you completely, even in the match Matt posted , he fought tooth and nail with that guy but never lost his cool ...

They played the Semis at Westchester. In the second video above, he plays "beast" in the finals at Princeton. It was interesting talking to Azeez after the match. It shows you the kind of fighter he is.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes, extrusions of nucleus pulposus, causing an irritative reaction leading to pressure on the cervical nerve. Hot/cold sensation, tinging, numbness, and a surprisingly high pain level ensues. Currently I'm going with option (1). That should work in the long term, if not your option (2) is the way to go. As I understand it, that may not be just a case removing material; often flexible material gets inserted between where the discs are damaged. Now doesn't sound picking the right rubber to insert between the vertebrae to ease things out like the ultimate EJ challenge? Not going there, though. Pain levels have dropped to a level I now consider to be negligible, and I think I'm moving freely. Yet the body seems to have lost nuances of its timing, balance. Basic automation is off, like it needs recalibration.

I've had (and am still doing) exercises. Some of them are conditioning, intended to improve basic stance; others are basically muscle usage and relaxation ones. Many people came with unsolicited advice and suggested to visit a chiropractor, an osteopath, a fysiotherapist. My neurologist however sternly warned me in no uncertain terms not to mess with it along these lines.

There's this thing with getting older. You need to come to terms with degradation. Sometimes it's gradual and small, and sometimes it's a bit more abrupt. I'll see how this plays out, but at some point you just realise that there's a limit to things, and that is't not the sky.

Well, yep. That is all the info. That course takes time. But I am glad you have been patient enough to stick it out. Any time you don't have to go under the knife it is good.

And of course your Drs are right. Just thinking of what a chiropractic adjustment would do with nucleus pulposus floating around in there makes me cringe in fear. That is a surefire recipe for disaster.

And the stuff that can help bulging discs if applied precisely, would also make a herniated disc worse.

Glad you are able to enjoy hitting the ball again.

I've realized my ceiling is lower than I would like it to be as well.

At 52, the fantasy of doing 4 hours a day 6 days a week of game simulation drills and multiball is just that: a fantasy. And that is what it would take to get me to break through a few of the holes in my game.

Still, I am happy to be able to hit the ball around and have some fun.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
My buddy! Where was the event?
Iowa city. I believe he's going to be going to their next event in august. But keeping it quiet about that to not deter other high level players from signing up. In august the "hawkeye" event will be their first 4star tournament. all their others so far have been 3 star.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Iowa city. I believe he's going to be going to their next event in august. But keeping it quiet about that to not deter other high level players from signing up. In august the "hawkeye" event will be their first 4star tournament. all their others so far have been 3 star.

Azeez seems to be on the US tour lately - on 5/7 he also played at the small tournament in Waltham (Boston suburb), winning the Open.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
He had a really poor showing, me and my doubles partner started off very strong against him and his. He couldn't return my serves because he was so focused on his earlier performance. Then his doubles partner said "It's okay if you don't want to do doubles, we don't have to if you aren't feeling it." Then he proceeded to destroying us.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
He had a really poor showing, me and my doubles partner started off very strong against him and his. He couldn't return my serves because he was so focused on his earlier performance. Then his doubles partner said "It's okay if you don't want to do doubles, we don't have to if you aren't feeling it." Then he proceeded to destroying us.

His partner probably told him all he had to do was mentally reverse your headband right side up and it must've worked :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Actually, Azeez played semi-finals against both Kai Zhang and Junhan Wu in Westchester. And both player is a beast :)

Nah. Junhan Wu is from Matt's club and had only lost one match on US soil. Different level from most players we see here, most of his competition is on the west coast.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Nah. Junhan Wu is from Matt's club and had only lost one match on US soil. Different level from most players we see here, most of his competition is on the west coast.

Yeah, but I call Kai a beast because of his two winged hyper-aggressive game. And even if he isn't as strong as Junhan, he made a pretty good fight against Gacina.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yeah, but I call Kai a beast because of his two winged hyper-aggressive game. And even if he isn't as strong as Junhan, he made a pretty good fight against Gacina.

Sure, but we are trying to figure out who Matt was referring to, not list all the good players in the USA. Gacina played as if he wanted Kai to just miss and Kai doesn't do that much as Westchester. He plays 50-100 pts better at that club than he does outside of it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Sure, but we are trying to figure out who Matt was referring to, not list all the good players in the USA. Gacina played as if he wanted Kai to just miss and Kai doesn't do that much as Westchester. He plays 50-100 pts better at that club than he does outside of it.

Okay-okay! I just found it funny that Azeez played the semis in Westchester with the two player posted earlier, both can be described as 'beast' (for different reasons, but still).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Okay-okay! I just found it funny that Azeez played the semis in Westchester with the two player posted earlier, both can be described as 'beast' (for different reasons, but still).
My apologies I sometimes develop tunnel vision.