Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The Philly goon squad and the Krooklyn goon squad somehow were in the same place at the same time.

a70425b5cb02961325145814660a876b.jpg

58fed17d8a2b0b5e66ac7b4588f3c57e.jpg

Sent from my NSA SpyPhone from Sector 13D-SR13Z74 Sub Level 29X Fort Meade, Maryland

Don't be fooled by the use of the word "somehow". It was made entirely possible by the benevolence of Carl and his daughter.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
team nexy trouble makers and their new uniforms went to oakland for a tt team tourney. Our division (1700-2000usatt) had players 100 points + under classified (surprise, right?) in a 12 team field

war troublemakers!

Congratulations!!

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
If I was to change to shakehand, what handle should I choose, and why?
So just contemplating which handle I should choose if I was to use a similar style as my penhold / offensive in shakehand blade.
Thanks

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not been active on TTD because I have been going to TT 4x a week and practicing. I come back to this Si-hing!?!?!?

LOL j/k ... dealing with pain/injury is tough. As NextLevel said, try any of your PH blades as a SH first. If you think if you may actually convert to SH at some point (*GASP*) then invest in a SH blade. But for now, to get some playing done and not be bored, try your PH in SH grip.

Good luck and speedy and healthy recovery Si-hing!

~osph

Reactions: JeffM and ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
My friend/brother and fellow TTD member, 42andbackpains, is recovering from shoulder/elbow/back injury - i don't recall which right now. He has started playing again at his club, New York Indoor Sports Club. We met up last Saturday. Played 4 matches. Kind of ugly play from both of us. Have videos. Trying to edit a highlights video for those that may want to watch but don't want to watch all 4 matches.

42&bp won 3-1. I did not remember to clear space. So one or 2 of the matches is missing a few points as the camera went from SD card storage to phone storage. Thought 10gb on SD card was enough. Didn't think we would be playing 4 matches though LOL

Started playing with my new blade, Gambler Fire Touch with Big Dipper on FH and Xiom Pro Vega on RPB. I didn't glue the Big Dipper that well... rushing to get it on and play with it. Rubber coming off. So I have been playing 75% of the time with my Butterfly Taksim. Just finished regluing for a 2nd time LOL

42&bp tried out the Gambler and liked it. He felt like it was a bargain for $40 as it felt to him like a $100+ carbon blade. It is comparable to an Innerforce according to the Gambler/Zeropong website.

I am a smasher, am inconsistent FH looper. I generally loop one and the rest are smashes or blocks. Initially, I was not able to smash with the Fire Touch. It could also be the Big Dipper, as it is my first time using it, or the combination of blade and rubber that my smashing is off.

Because of this, I will force myself to FH loop a lot more and hopefully repeatedly. With the Taksim, my smashes feel "solid" and my loops are OK. With the Fire Touch/Big Dipper, I need to practice with it and get used to it. May also be my form/technique, but basically I am going to reinvent myself as a challenge and force myself to spin more instead of my smash/punch/block/push game.

~osph

p.s. a friend at the club said he got a new rubber, Spinart. I never heard of it. But then again, I am not well-versed on all the rubbers. I tried it for 2 minutes and it seems like a good tensor rubber. Similar to what I recall of MX-P. ALthough i have old man memory LOL Will see if i can hit with it more tomorrow.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not been active on TTD because I have been going to TT 4x a week and practicing. I come back to this Si-hing!?!?!?

LOL j/k ... dealing with pain/injury is tough. As NextLevel said, try any of your PH blades as a SH first. If you think if you may actually convert to SH at some point (*GASP*) then invest in a SH blade. But for now, to get some playing done and not be bored, try your PH in SH grip.

Good luck and speedy and healthy recovery Si-hing!

~osph

Hi OSP,
Good to hear that while you have been inactive on TTD, you have been so active in TT!
Fortunately, I am using a Shakehand blade sent over by NextLevel a few years ago. I had one lesson and it feels good! I am having trouble with backhand still, still need more time and practice. I will have another shakehand lesson this saturday.
I tried my coach's viscaria last week, and really liked it. So I have already pre-bought a viscaria, waiting for me in HK so when I go back next week, I can use it to play with my friend.

Trust me though, I would not have made the switch if I didn't have this injury! Penhold is so awesome!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The Philly goon squad and the Krooklyn goon squad somehow were in the same place at the same time.

cache.php

cache.php

Sent from my NSA SpyPhone from Sector 13D-SR13Z74 Sub Level 29X Fort Meade, Maryland

By the way, when NextLevel and I hit last night, it was the first time I have hit with someone who has a real decent level of spin on his ball in I cannot remember how long. So I had a lot of fun.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I always suspected NextLevel had "decent" level of spin .. from now on .. NextLevel is renamed to DecentLevel ... LOL ...

btw, I could immediately spot that Carl was using the "somehow" keyword in his original post to get around Der_Ecthe's Goon Squad Commandments ... "Thou shalt write a detailed description of the meetup including the preamble and the fallout for any meetups between two high level Goon Squad members" ... where is @Der_echte to enforce the Goon Squad rules when you need him !!!

By the way, when NextLevel and I hit last night, it was the first time I have hit with someone who has a real decent level of spin on his ball in I cannot remember how long. So I had a lot of fun.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I always suspected NextLevel had "decent" level of spin .. from now on .. NextLevel is renamed to DecentLevel ... LOL ...

btw, I could immediately spot that Carl was using the "somehow" keyword in his original post to get around Der_Ecthe's Goon Squad Commandments ... "Thou shalt write a detailed description of the meetup including the preamble and the fallout for any meetups between two high level Goon Squad members" ... where is @Der_echte to enforce the Goon Squad rules when you need him !!!

I feel it is good to leave people wanting more. Words don't matter so much. Video footage would have been good. But I knew the place we were playing would have more chaos and we would be the only players better than garage level. So, video footage of us repeatedly handing a ball to a person who would not have caught it if we were to toss the ball, or having someone run into the footage putting his head dangerously close to the trajectory of a FH loop chasing a ball without realizing the imminent danger to his state of consciousness....I think footage from a pool hall "ping pong" table may have had some less fortunate results. So, when asked, I said, just rackets and balls, no tripod and camera...no extraneous gear.

Part of me regrets not having footage of the hot young lady who could not catch the ball....or hit it....or the dad who was oblivious to how close he came to getting knocked senseless multiple times. But I feel we may have made the right choice in the long run. :)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So did ̶D̶e̶c̶e̶n̶t̶L̶e̶v̶e̶l̶ NextLevel finally tried the Virtuoso+ as a last chance to all wood blades?

Nope. He did not try the V'King either. He was enjoying comparing his Carbonado 145 and 245. Less work for joints that do not need more stress.

Or, that was how I understood things.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Nope. He did not try the V'King either. He was enjoying comparing his Carbonado 145 and 245. Less work for joints that do not need more stress.

Or, that was how I understood things.
Fair enough!

Virtuoso+ is probably the only blade that still glitches my AntiEJvirus Korbel today. So I was just curious myself on his input on it, he being a Korbel fan.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Fair enough!

Virtuoso+ is probably the only blade that still glitches my AntiEJvirus Korbel today. So I was just curious myself on his input on it, he being a Korbel fan.

My Hadraw and Carbonado 145 are doing well. And I play a different game now. Most of my work is in building forehand footwork. I want to coach so I don't want to teach the wrong things.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
My Hadraw and Carbonado 145 are doing well. And I play a different game now. Most of my work is in building forehand footwork. I want to coach so I don't want to teach the wrong things.

Oh, nice to hear that you want to coach. Actually, I was watching a video from TableTennisDaily Academy yesterday and I remembered this quote from you right away:
People who are learning get so focused on putting the ball.on the table that they struggle to improve and just work on their swings. Because if your focus is on putting the ball.on the table, your swing will never improve. But if your focus is on making the ball do what you think it should do in response to your swing, even if it doesn't, as long as you read the result and try to adjust, things improve pretty quickly.

Dan said the exact same thing. That players get so focused on putting the ball onto the table, that they try just anything to put the ball on, and by doing that for so long, they never change and never learn how to do it properly.

I guess you are on the right track :)

Reactions: NextLevel
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Der_Echte is in LA for the LA Open. Sry.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
@OSP
I’ve been using SpinArt for so many years for my BH. It’s a modern Tensor with a very hard sponge. Almost as fast as Tenergy and more spinny. Difficult for BH loop you need perfect contact. Not convinced at all it’s a rubber for pen holders. If u like butterfly go with D05 T05/80 or Rozena

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Did not want to make a new thread just for this, I've glued 4-5 rackets at this point but this is the first time I am seeing a rubber develop these. Did I do something wrong or ?

https://i.imgur.com/PUQpyNQ.jpg

You should make a new thread. This being your first post on this thread doesn't make sense per se.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
... I want to coach...

This is more of an understatement than the name DecentLevel. After NL played his first five minutes of TT he was probably telling somebody what he learned in minutes three and four. You have always been coaching. Keep it up NL, your coaching skills are reaching a DecentLevel.