Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says Hello! My name is Cielo (pronounced Shell-o). I grew up...
Oct 2019
And it seems you guys have a very nice dynamic while training. It is great to find a good training partner you can work with like that. :)

And all those loops are really nice, spinny, and as NextLevel says, Dangerous. :)

Thank you! Only the two of us in our club train like this. We don't have a coach so we help each other out. The process to improve takes longer but there is always joy in it.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I'm loving this thread! It's awesome to read all of your comments and it's encouraging to keep practicing. It is a training day for me today, currently working on me footwork because I seem to be dragging my right leg a lot now. And of course, I am much slower now after taking a break for 3.5 years due to 2 pregnancies. But now I'm trying to get back at it hard.

Here's a short clip of me, I noticed that I'm still not low enough and very late on recovery. I might have to back up a bit to have more movement. But please, any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIIgRIzhDuA

Maybe have him block one to the middle, one to either side (randomly), one to the middle, one to either side. If he blocked from the center line instead of his bh corner it would make wider angles for you to cover on fh and then have to recover back to your left.

Whatever you do, don't back up from the table. Your hand speed is so good, you don't want to give away that advantage.

My two cents your strokes are great. Serve short more and always look to attack first.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Sky is a great counter player and would benefit from HAVING the short under spin and short dead serves, but she gunna make more money serving deep half the time with variation.

You're right. But still, short serves make your long serves better and vice versa.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You're right. But still, short serves make your long serves better and vice versa.

My very heavy underspin serve can win points, but really, my best serve is my dead serve, just because I have a good underspin serve and my dead serve looks similar. I think we both get it. I was saying she would make more money serving deep more often... and its effectiveness enhanced by having a short under spin serve.

Oct 2019
Maybe have him block one to the middle, one to either side (randomly), one to the middle, one to either side. If he blocked from the center line instead of his bh corner it would make wider angles for you to cover on fh and then have to recover back to your left.

Whatever you do, don't back up from the table. Your hand speed is so good, you don't want to give away that advantage.

My two cents your strokes are great. Serve short more and always look to attack first.

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to ask my training partner to do this drill with me. And I will keep in mind not to back up too much. I feel like I should stay close to the table, but sometimes, the ball comes to quick that I have to back up to recover.

Oct 2019
Sky is a great counter player and would benefit from HAVING the short under spin and short dead serves, but she gunna make more money serving deep half the time with variation.

Thank you for the compliment. I do need to focus more on my serves. I have to take advantage of my set-ups. I feel like I miss the opportunity sometimes because I have to be quick and I'm not anymore. It's getting more and more frustrating as old age kicks in! I'm realizing now that I still try to play like I'm a teenager with a much older body. Probably not a good idea.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
... yet I still stand by what I said.

Obvious strengths of your game are getting into a faster rally you control with quickness and change of placement on counters... not overwhelming super extreme spin or power.

For such a player (or really any player trying to initiate the rally a certain way) having a wide variation with your same serve motions just opens up worlds of opportunity.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
I had an injury to my knee roughly 2 months ago where I trained too intensely.
Ever since then, just been doing some light exercise to gradually build up the tolerance.
Today I tried doing the simple drill of short push then backhand opener.
I've got a weird feeling in my knee now, going to need to rest tmr.
Injuries...
Anyway, got a video of myself doing the drill.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I had an injury to my knee roughly 2 months ago where I trained too intensely.
Ever since then, just been doing some light exercise to gradually build up the tolerance.
Today I tried doing the simple drill of short push then backhand opener.
I've got a weird feeling in my knee now, going to need to rest tmr.
Injuries...
Anyway, got a video of myself doing the drill.

Is that first ball supposed to simulate a short serve? If so, you are standing way too far away from the table for serve receive.

Reactions: JeffM and Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Is that first ball supposed to simulate a short serve? If so, you are standing way too far away from the table for serve receive.

I don't see how he is too far from the table if he can get to the ball with one step. The serve is probably a bit too short but it all depends on what he is practicing so that is neither here nor there.

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
I don't see how he is too far from the table if he can get to the ball with one step. The serve is probably a bit too short but it all depends on what he is practicing so that is neither here nor there.

Well, maybe it isn't too necessary for the way he plays but the general thinking behind what I said is that the quicker you can get in, the more aggressive or quick of a return you can make to put the server under more pressure. If you are stepping in from too far that is creating a lot of time and it would be very difficult to put the third ball under any pressure. That may be getting into the weeds a bit too much as it may only be relevant if the opponent has a strong and consistent third ball anyways.

Probably more of a concern is how far he is stepping back after the short push. If his return got dropped short again he will be way out of position. But I'm guessing that is more of a constraint of the robot and the depth that it is shooting the balls.

Reactions: JeffM and Der_Echte