Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hi everyone!
Merry Christmas! I am back on the forum after a long break!
I had to take back from table tennis training for a while, but now I am working and finally have money for coaching. Also fixed training with a promising youngster. I am very happy about this as I couldn't find a partner that late (7 PM), who isn't significantly lower or higher level than me. Also happy, because his father asked me to teach him some tricks. League play: I lost some motivation, so lost some matches I should not. Our team will still win this year too (we wander to higher leagues every year and won them as the teams consists of hard-working kids mostly). Equipment-wise I switched to Acuda S1 max on both sides, mainly because it's the cheapest rubber out there which doesn't hold me back (yes, it's around the same price as H3Neo). Nowadays I don't care about equipment too much. High end attacking rubber or another...all the same...I get used to it in one or two weeks and I don't play in such a high level that the little extra speed or spin would make a difference...if I hit the ball with quality that's enough.
If everything goes well, I will make some videos in January and upload here. Looking forward to discuss TT topics with you!
PS: my gf need some help in her physics Msc course...anyone could help me out with lecture notes or presentations on Group Theory? I can specify the exact themes. Even a contact to someone expert would be a huge help!
Merry Christmas again!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Got to play in the state centre last night, and because it was Boxing day, only 2 of us came.
The flooring was superb! So much grip and no more sliding around.
We got there around 8:30, and then played a game after 9, and then practiced some defensive play in the backhand corner.

I won 4:2 in the game, but when I was ahead, I just practice to banana flip harder than usual. It didn't work out too well, and ended up costing me a game, but I still won in the end haha. When I just banana flip without trying too hard, it works quite well. I need faster footwork after the banana though, as I often don't have enough time to get back to my backhand corner after the banana.

Here is one of the highlight point of our game. RPB FTW!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
How old is he? Not entirely sold.

The age of the chinese players are not really reliable i think. A national team coach told med that you get two years less in age for free and four if you pay in China. It would be interesting to know if Harimotos ages is correct, since he got chinese parents and is pretty big now. Do not know how true this is, but the Coach is a good one and have been coaching for a long time.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Got to play in the state centre last night, and because it was Boxing day, only 2 of us came.
The flooring was superb! So much grip and no more sliding around.
We got there around 8:30, and then played a game after 9, and then practiced some defensive play in the backhand corner.

I won 4:2 in the game, but when I was ahead, I just practice to banana flip harder than usual. It didn't work out too well, and ended up costing me a game, but I still won in the end haha. When I just banana flip without trying too hard, it works quite well. I need faster footwork after the banana though, as I often don't have enough time to get back to my backhand corner after the banana.

It would be interesting to know how the banana flip looks like. In my experience it is very important to accelerate with the wrist and do it on the right kind of balls. I find it very difficult to do the flip against pure good backspin serves that is low, alot more to work with when there are sidespin in the ball. I also, like you have trouble flipping in the forehandcorner then recover in the backhandcorner. Very difficult i feel. I can imagine that you maybe have the angle to close when doing the flip, since you are playing RPB. It feels like the angle is more naturally closed with penhold. With a close angle you need to have really good acceleration in the wrist. Easier with more open angle of the racket. But then, i do not know much about penholdplay and RPB.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
It would be interesting to know how the banana flip looks like. In my experience it is very important to accelerate with the wrist and do it on the right kind of balls. I find it very difficult to do the flip against pure good backspin serves that is low, alot more to work with when there are sidespin in the ball. I also, like you have trouble flipping in the forehandcorner then recover in the backhandcorner. Very difficult i feel. I can imagine that you maybe have the angle to close when doing the flip, since you are playing RPB. It feels like the angle is more naturally closed with penhold. With a close angle you need to have really good acceleration in the wrist. Easier with more open angle of the racket. But then, i do not know much about penholdplay and RPB.

I do have the same problem of flipping on short FH serves, but I tend to return them short parallel, and then if it comes short diagonal then I flip it. If it comes long parallel then I go for a topspin FH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The age of the chinese players are not really reliable i think. A national team coach told med that you get two years less in age for free and four if you pay in China. It would be interesting to know if Harimotos ages is correct, since he got chinese parents and is pretty big now. Do not know how true this is, but the Coach is a good one and have been coaching for a long time.

Harimoto was born in Japan. No one doubts his age.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews

Indeed, alot is about shot selection. A fine balance between taking the risk and consistency.
Will show you a few when my friend finish editing the video.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I had a test model of the Tibhar Akkad with a club member for a few weeks... so I had to buy one from our webstore...

First full night of using it I can say it is every bit it is cracked up to be.

This will take the bite out of the Kim Jung Hoon being out of production.

7 ply all wood. Faster middle gears, good top end, good touch. Extra gear when you bang it. High arching spin.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I had a test model of the Tibhar Akkad with a club member for a few weeks... so I had to buy one from our webstore...

First full night of using it I can say it is every bit it is cracked up to be.

This will take the bite out of the Kim Jung Hoon being out of production.

7 ply all wood. Faster middle gears, good top end, good touch. Extra gear when you bang it. High arching spin.

I prefer the top ply of the Akkad with Wenge wood to the top ply of the KJH with white ash. Even on the Rubicon and on the Arche. The Rubicon was too slow and the Arche was half an Akkad and slower. The Akkad is ridiculously linear. I have zero complaints at the moment and it will always have a place in my bag even if I ultimately end up using something else.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The Akkad and the ALC Hinoke were match ready blades for me.

I could keep consistency and touch with spin and more power on the Akkad.

On the Ace, feel was surprisingly soft, touch good, consistency surprisingly good. I never landed so many shots with a composite blade before. Power from distance very good. Close to table my fast loops did not always result in points. Got blocked. I suspect someone who bangs it more than me would love it more. My BH simply kept landing. Blade not Faster than OFF.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Difficult just to pick up a blade and say it just feels right... and the Akkad is not expensive.

I see why my club member is taking extended time to rest it.

He told me yesterday the FL handle a little thick... handed him my ST with grip tape. He liked.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Club TTA from east side of Bay Area visited our club late evening with 5 players. We ended up doing a giant round Robin. I left once it hit 9:20, I was already gunna be late for promise to be home on time.

Went 3-0. Used Akkad. There was one C Pen guy with Grass D Techs who had the softest hands who could soft block everything... low, often double bounce... he also twiddles... tough cookie. I am glad 90 percent of O50 Korean Women use that LP rubber to give me experience...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Good job on the performance , no pics to show from the troublemaking venture ..
Club TTA from east side of Bay Area visited our club late evening with 5 players. We ended up doing a giant round Robin. I left once it hit 9:20, I was already gunna be late for promise to be home on time.

Went 3-0. Used Akkad. There was one C Pen guy with Grass D Techs who had the softest hands who could soft block everything... low, often double bounce... he also twiddles... tough cookie. I am glad 90 percent of O50 Korean Women use that LP rubber to give me experience...

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I prefer the top ply of the Akkad with Wenge wood to the top ply of the KJH with white ash. Even on the Rubicon and on the Arche. The Rubicon was too slow and the Arche was half an Akkad and slower. The Akkad is ridiculously linear. I have zero complaints at the moment and it will always have a place in my bag even if I ultimately end up using something else.

White ash is already quite a bit harder than Koto, harder even than walnut, and Wenge is quite a bit harder, even? Does that help you change your game away from more or less exclusive spin-orientation?