Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
Mmh I don't know wether I should stick to the True Carbon or go for an all wood blade again. Yesterday I tried out my old blade and the blocks were coming better, I also had more control in the pushes, but it is just so much easier to create power with the carbon :rolleyes:

If you can control the carbon blade as well as the wood blade then stick with the faster blade. As i get older, i think control and rhythm trumps power thats why i play with a wood blade. I didn't say much...:p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Didn't have a chance to post about last thursday night. When it's the Lunar New Year's Eve, traditionally Chinese families are home to have a family dinner. I planned to to to my club after work just to hit a little to break a sweat and then go home for the Family Dinner. My regular partners weren't there probably because of the New Year's Eve dinner LOL.

I hit with someone for a little, older gentleman playing CPen pips, my first time hitting with him. I had trouble with the pips and/or his strokes. There seems to be a lot of downspin on his shots! It was a great experience playing with a good pips player. When I was a teen, I started off with pips, but after maybe a year, i changed to inverted. I forgot all about how to hit with pips. I happened to be on the table where generally the higher level players played. And one of them showed up and waited for next.

My partner had next on a different table, so I asked that higher level player (2 or 3 levels higher) if he wanted to hit with me. We recognize each other by face because i did a favor for him ages ago ... he was going on vacation the next day and saw my small Joby magnetic tripod and wanted to buy it off of me. He wouldn't have time to guy it off of Amazon. So I sold it him.

I was thinking if he said no because he was waiting for his regular partners, i would go home early enough. Only played him once ages ago when I was using the Avalox P700, 2 blades ago, which is a lifetime ago. He said let's hit. I stayed a little longer than I wanted to, but I didn't want to pass up this opportunity. Many of his regular partners didn't show up yet. So we hit. He smoked many past me LOL He amped it down a notch or 2 and we were steady enough. Then he chopped, i still have not gotten confidence in my slow spinny loop ... i had to crank up my loop to get his chops back over. The 80 yr old chopper showed up and my partner started to chop because of him.

No video ... -5, 7, -4, -3 ... he took it easy on me. the 2nd game, he had 3 freak missed serves, and 2 edge balls went my way ... i got lucky. that 2nd game, i jumped out to a 9-2 lead - LOL at me!

Overall, I had maybe 3 quality shots, and some very lucky shots which was really the tensor rubbers doing all the work. First game, my 2nd serve, i served down the line for an ace and surprised him.

Obviously if he played his regular game level/speed, he would've smoked me at -2 or -3.

Before we started hitting, he was changing and we were chatting. He commented that he has seen me play a lot lately and that i must be good. I said, nah, i came back from a break and only recently worked up to hitting 3x/week and still working at it. I thanked him for his time.

Lately a few members of my club said i've improved. Here and there I hit with some higher level players. Kind of strange for me in that i think i am at a certain level and if i'm just hitting, i'm looking to return the ball. Generally i look to be a steady partner. During games I rush and look like a player 2 levels below. And because of injury breaks, I just hit more than play games during my returns unlike when i first joined. Perhaps the membership has thinned also because we have 6 tables instead of 9 and also various other clubs opening which allows me to just practice and not forced to play games. With that said, my gameplay is still bad ... still rushing my shots, still not able to read spin on serves, etc. Perhaps i have improved because i'm using tensor rubbers now and getting used to them compared to before.

Regardless of whatever, I am having fun, getting exercise, and putting in the time in towards Self-perfection.

May all the net and edge balls go your way DTT CCers!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I have decided to switch to more Nigerian technique (which could mean a variety of things). In this case though I think it is clearer if you watch matches like this - it is probably already to some degree a part of me but I will add it more especially on the forehand. It's really funny how I with my bad athleticism sometimes swing at the ball like these guys without even knowing it. But I think the technique is very simple and fits my mindset of circles and wristy spin play.

https://youtu.be/woXrXofDfq8

This women's match was also interesting. I found it funny that none of the commentators found the inability of the girl in yellow to open with her backhand worth commenting on. They kept criticizing her aggressiveness but that was not a problem to me as her opponent kept smashing her openers.

https://youtu.be/nkCkjX6Bf0g

In any case, I hope you find Nigerian TT somewhat entertaining.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
This Friday we are going to have a match against kids..
This will be pretty crucial match, as the kids are pretty good and we kind off play to stay in the league, because our teams are pretty equal. We are a little bit better now, but if we lose, it will be bad.
One 45 yo guy with 3 kids.
12-14 or 15 years old.
Last time we lost and the kids played pretty good match.
I trully hope we will win this time, but I know this aint gonna be easy.
Fingers crossed, lets hope, that the dad of the kids will come.
Because if he is there, they will play bad. He is pushing too much and I think that if he wont stop, they will quit table tennis pretty soon. Some dads are like that..

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Fingers crossed, lets hope, that the dad of the kids will come.
Because if he is there, they will play bad. He is pushing too much and I think that if he wont stop, they will quit table tennis pretty soon. Some dads are like that..

Sadly parents sometimes inadvertently pressure their kids even though they want the best for them.

Sir, good luck to you and your team!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Last night hit with 3 partners. Jammed packed club.

1. My regular partner. I'm just trying to return steady so he can groove his strokes.

2. An older woman I've hit with before ~2 weeks ago. She says she didn't play in 60 years! CPen with what i thought was pips as the balls seem to die out and have downspin. Checked her racket last night. It's dead inverted. Her strokes and timing are coming back to her. Not sure if she will replace her rubber. Forceful motion due to dead rubber perhaps. But timing seems to early meeting the ball ... something I still need to work on.

3. Hit with B. I have never beaten him before. We played 4x in 2 yrs prior. He is 1 or 2 levels above me. SH with good FH loop and BH loop. His FH loop is deceptive... seems to have a quick stroke but ball comes over slow and spinny. His BH loop is a fast stroke that comes over low and fast like a heat-seeking missile. I cannot read his serves, he mixes up with pendulum, reverse pendulum and BH serves. He also knows how to return my FH pendulum serve effectively and catches me many times.

I would rather just hit with him as it's good practice for both of us but too many people at club. I worked some of my close-to-the-table-short-stroke FH loop and either my wrist and/or the tensor rubbers, generates a tad more spin than he expected. We both find it challenging to block each other's FH loops. I am still letting the ball drop though. Can't get it out of muscle memory yet. Need to meet the ball sooner.

First game, I jumped out to a 7-0 lead and I didn't like that! Yep you guessed it, I lost 12-10! Lost the next 2 games at 4 and 5 or so.

What I need to improve: no surprise ... i've always had trouble with his serves. I rush my shots and lose the points. Like a baseball batter, I couldn't lay off the high balls and went to smash them. Made 1 out 4. Although I still can't loop high balls... which means i need to meet ball earlier before it gets high. I used to vary my tempo in smashing with a smash on the half-beat, that is i smash quickly just as the ball lands instead of waiting for it to bounce high.

What I did that worked: I limited his ability to unleash his deadly loops with pushing. Was 2 for 5 RPB loops, surprised him. In my mind, I am looking like i am serving FH pendulum downspin BUT serving nospin instead. He popped some up, as well as loop with it missing the table. Not sure if it's due to nospin and he's expecting downspin. Must investigate this more.

Side note: most members know that B is pretty good. A few of his regular partners playing on the table next to us, while waiting their turns on that table turned their chairs to watch our game. One of them is interested in my progress and regularly plays B. He is a SH with LP on his BH. Played him 2x almost a year ago and lost both, although I gave him a good game mixing in my rocket serves with my pendulum. I felt a little self-conscious... i tricked myself by deliberately hamming it up and made with exaggerated breathing motions ... taking deep breaths and long exhales ... allowed me a few seconds to focus and zone spectators out. My ham antics worked. But my game/strokes were still lacking LOL

I have been training 90% of the time for the past 6 months or so rather than playing matches. I'm not used to the tensor rubbers on serves yet. And I still have a disconnect from the training strokes with my game strokes. At some point, I will start playing more matches and work on relaxing and not rushing my shots during gameplay. Easy to say, hard to do LOL

Had fun and called it a night. Thank you DTT CCers!

Reactions: 42andbackpains
This user has no status.
Since i started to do plank and wall sits for about two weeks now. I feel am a a little stronger and my back doesn't hurt as much. I have played for 4 days continuously, which is a record for me. Normally i take a 2 hours coaching lesson on Saturdays and hang around the club to do some match play if i feel my back is up for it. Then i would rest for a whole week. Now with my stronger core, i intend to do more match play and hopefully participate in future tournaments.

4 days of continuous play as follows.
Saturday: 2 hour lesson with 1 hour of match play
Sunday: 1 hour stretching and 1 hour of match play
Monday: half hour of stretching and 1 hour of match play
Tues day: 1 hour of Yoga and 1 hour of serve and table bounce timing stroke practice

Wednesay: May go again today because some of the 2000 usatt rated players are showing up. Lets see how i feel:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I am likely to be in NYC on April 1st (not a joke :p), which is Sunday, and should have time for TT in the late afternoon/evening. Will be staying around Manhattan, I think, so was wondering if there is a chance to meet local forum members in person for a hit.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am likely to be in NYC on April 1st (not a joke :p), which is Sunday, and should have time for TT in the late afternoon/evening. Will be staying around Manhattan, I think, so was wondering if there is a chance to meet local forum members in person for a hit.

Pgpg, you should be able to link up with Carl easy, he teaches there. If he helps you, later that evening he could get you around 42nBack Painz, OSP, PP Holic and some others

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I am actually in the process of arranging the memorial service for my wife. I am not 100% sure I will actually be free. But if I am, I will definitely reach out to pgpg.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Pgpg, you should be able to link up with Carl easy, he teaches there. If he helps you, later that evening he could get you around 42nBack Painz, OSP, PP Holic and some others

I am pretty low maintenance, so don't want to impose, especially when someone like Carl is dealing with more important matters. If someone could share tips later, something like "this club at XYZ is a good place to be on Sunday late afternoon/evening", that would be awesome, and if any of frequent posters happen to be there on that night, then even better.

P.S. I've been bouncing between 1750-1800 USATT recently, so don't expect miracles :).

This user has no status.
I am pretty low maintenance, so don't want to impose, especially when someone like Carl is dealing with more important matters. If someone could share tips later, something like "this club at XYZ is a good place to be on Sunday late afternoon/evening", that would be awesome, and if any of frequent posters happen to be there on that night, then even better.

P.S. I've been bouncing between 1750-1800 USATT recently, so don't expect miracles :).

My official rating is 1440, so you can spot me 3 points.....at least i am not OSP asking for 9 or 10 points all the time.:D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

Sir,

Iirc, you are a LP Chopper? If so, you are 2200 vs me! My official rating was 1400's in 1980's.

If Sunday, I may be able to meet up but it will tough as Monday is a work day and you are free in evening.

For serious TT play though, think Manhattan is not ideal place. I know the Queens clubs a little better especially 42andbackpains' club New York Indoor Sports Club and my new club... 20180222_180305.jpg

Never been to Robert Chen's club, it looks spacious enough... songdavid98 is a member there and is a 2000+ player. My new club and RC's is walking distance from the last stop of the #7 train. NYISC is a tad further out, and PingPongHolic, 2000+, commutes there from Brooklyn!

A few pages before I posted links of Queens clubs for OhWell. Please check them out if you haven't already.

EDIT: not sure if SmashFan can make it, he's 2000+ also.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
OldschoolPenholder said:
Sir,

Iirc, you are a LP Chopper? If so, you are 2200 vs me! My official rating was 1400's in 1980's.

... Useful bits about Queens clubs ...

Yeah - I know better than trust official ratings from 30+ years ago. No points for you! :p

I'm more than happy to hop on a train and check out Queens clubs, perhaps earlier in the day and may be get a lesson there - any defense-minded coaches there (although any good coach would do)? It looks like it's only ~30 min subway ride from Manhattan, which is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
pgpg's current official rating exceeds mine slightly now.. pgpg should kick some serious tail in the local NYC clubs.

Keep Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) on speed dial if pgpg causes any of you to bleed too much from slaughtering you all...

Seriously though, this is an excellent chance for pgpg and the NYC crowd. We couldn't discover and arrange for anything like this 25-30 years ago without extensive local contacts and knowledge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
pgpg's current official rating exceeds mine slightly now.. pgpg should kick some serious tail in the local NYC clubs.

Keep Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) on speed dial if pgpg causes any of you to bleed too much from slaughtering you all...

Seriously though, this is an excellent chance for pgpg and the NYC crowd. We couldn't discover and arrange for anything like this 25-30 years ago without extensive local contacts and knowledge.

No it doesn't :rolleyes:, you still outrank me, and that's even before we get into East Coast vs. West Coast ratings debate. Looks like you took some damage at US Open, though. Any plans on visiting Boston soon? If not, I'll see you in June at WVC2018 in Vegas.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Man, pgpg, you are absolutely ruining my chances of enticing the 1800-1900 LP pips crowd into a bet with Der_Echte involving 1-3 underdog odds. You know how I value my free chicken and beerz, don't you?

I took damage in every tourney I played in since I left east coast, and it might still continue a bit.

Unless I somehow get selected to run a TT serve clinic, or a group class on how to evade the Goon Squad, or said group of 1800-1900 pips players wants to lose & give me enough money to make it at least financially even to fly there, it is unlikely I will be in Boston or NYC or DC soon. As it is, I haven't been back to Korea for almost 5 years, they might think I am a 3-D hologram by now.

I did see many players at US Open, some even from decade ago. I saw and cheered on Tim Kelly to a few of his victories... do him and Don still show up at the club? They would both love it and hate it if I showed up. Those guys are forever 2000+ warriors with their equipment vs inverted players.