Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
I wonder... when do you need to clean a rubber what is the best way to do it?

I feel like my rubber gets slippery from sweat after some time, and should I stop "coughing" on the rubber to wipe it with my hand, as many pro players do while in a match?

Also what is a sign to change a rubber. I get caught up in not trusting the rubber and hitting more through the ball instead of spinning it because I am afraid the rubber is not spiny anymore >.<

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I wonder... when do you need to clean a rubber what is the best way to do it?

I feel like my rubber gets slippery from sweat after some time, and should I stop "coughing" on the rubber to wipe it with my hand, as many pro players do while in a match?

Also what is a sign to change a rubber. I get caught up in not trusting the rubber and hitting more through the ball instead of spinning it because I am afraid the rubber is not spiny anymore >.<

I use Donic Combi Cleaner after every session before I put on protective sheets. Works like a charm and the bottle lasts forever. I've been using the same bottle for more than a year and I typically train 3-4 times per week. Water probably also works but I like the convenience of the bottle that has a built in sponge.

I once borrowed a friends TSP Cleaner when I had forgotten mine and it was a disaster. It felt oily and I had to rinse the rubber with water.

Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
So I guess the key for me is to see how I feel at the end of October or beginning of November. And to keep those C1 sheets ready to go Lol.

Finally tried it tonight. I was instructed by a coach to switch a slower blade (for the LP side) so I decided to give G-1 a try. It's just like you said - not dramatically faster (but that could be due to the slower blade) and the top sheet feels identical. Great rubber.

It did smell of a lot of booster like an Evolution rubber and it had a small dome. I guess that I can expect it will slow down quite a bit in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: yoass and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Finally tried it tonight. I was instructed by a coach to switch a slower blade (for the LP side) so I decided to give G-1 a try. It's just like you said - not dramatically faster (but that could be due to the slower blade) and the top sheet feels identical. Great rubber.

It did smell of a lot of booster like an Evolution rubber and it had a small dome. I guess that I can expect it will slow down quite a bit in the coming weeks.

I am testing Evolution MX-K now. Will have to see how the grip holds up but for my game, it might be something special.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Playing strongly in competition, with a 100% win in singles and a major part in the doubles victory against a major competitor for the title. If I extrapolate my development curve, assuming the trend would hold, I'd be crouching towards the lower national divisional level in a year or three, four.

The trend will not hold, of course. Age comes with its limitations. Nevertheless, the steady progress made after taking up the game again is somewhat rewarding (the dips in the curve coincide with periods of injury).

yoass.jpg

My GA8/50 is starting to show signs of wear (after about 4 months). Humidity starts effecting it a bit earlier on, and the surface is showing wear and tear at its center spot. The G-1 is holding up well, with no noticable deterioration except for some edge damage. It crumbles.

I'm tempted towards the current hypewave of harder rubbers - R53, Omega 7, T05H, MX-K, Nexxus EL-Pro etc. - but will stick with GA8/50 for a while. It's still growing on me, and although it's a beast of a rubber at its high end I'm getting to feel quite comfortable hitting all-out with it, yet I still can mix up the pace and the spin with excellent touch in the low gears. That I like.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Over the last month: (with shakehand)
- played pennant once, despite winning all singles, was very tough for me. I just didn't feel too natural with playing games with shakehand yet.
- went to Melbourne last week, played twice there in 2 different clubs on the same day, played with my friend whom I last played against him 10 years ago. Starting to feel more natural.
- noticed that I need to work on my backhand
- current goal: improve backhand consistency in looping backspin balls

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
today I had some very good practice matches against my usual buddies.

One of the little highlight was making successfully a new shot for me (can't remember trying it):
flicking with FH a serve coming to the BH side ! yes my buddy is higher than me but his serve is not his main strength, but still !

I had watched a video from Christophe Legout demonstrating the shot but had never tried it. It was quite surprising for the opponent and won me a few points ! (either his miss or a bad topspin followed by a block to the opposite side giving me the upper hand)
One of the key point was moving the whole body to the ball together and stepping the LEFT foot forward during execution (cant rotate the body else the ball would go off the table)

I managed to do it 3 times at least during our 5-setter ! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Lesson of the week: buying a Stiga blade requires you to brush up on carpentry skills from school. Bought a fairly cheap Stiga Defensive Classic and even the handle required a bit sanding down due to splinters. Great feeling in the blade but they really need to work on their finish.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
One of the little highlight was making successfully a new shot for me (can't remember trying it):
flicking with FH a serve coming to the BH side ! yes my buddy is higher than me but his serve is not his main strength, but still !
Link please?

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Lesson of the week: buying a Stiga blade requires you to brush up on carpentry skills from school. Bought a fairly cheap Stiga Defensive Classic and even the handle required a bit sanding down due to splinters. Great feeling in the blade but they really need to work on their finish.

A few weeks ago, somebody brought me a new Stiga OC to glue rubbers on. Same story. I actually rubbed a few drops of tung oil onto the handle after polishing it to get it real smooth, and to remove the dullish sheen caused by sanding/polishing it. The wings took quite a bit of effort to get right.

Reactions: mart1nandersson
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
A few weeks ago, somebody brought me a new Stiga OC to glue rubbers on. Same story. I actually rubbed a few drops of tung oil onto the handle after polishing it to get it real smooth, and to remove the dullish sheen caused by sanding/polishing it. The wings took quite a bit of effort to get right.

Is tung oil similar to linseed oil? My handle does indeed look dull after the sanding.