• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest

Page 500 of 507 FirstFirst ... 400450490496497498499500501502503504 ... LastLast
    Results 9,981 to 10,000 of 10127
    1. Top | #9981
      This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member Country: Sweden

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,029 Times in 563 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by driversbeat View Post
      This gives me hope. I feel like giving up TT sometimes after playing for many years and not seeing results. But I always come back to it because I love it so much.
      Maybe you should reconsider how you are training?

2. The Following 4 Users Like Lula's Post:

burhanayan (11-10-2019),OldschoolPenholder (11-12-2019),Takkyu_wa_inochi (11-10-2019),UpSideDownCarl (11-19-2019)

3. Top | #9982
      This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member Country: Sweden
      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Defensive Classic
      Forehand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc G-1
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Grass D.TecS

Reviews
      Read 2 Reviews
      Liked 580 Times in 351 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by driversbeat View Post
      This gives me hope. I feel like giving up TT sometimes after playing for many years and not seeing results. But I always come back to it because I love it so much.
      Getting a coach is really beneficial. A good coach can say what you're doing wrong but a VERY good coach can tell you how to improve those issues.

I've improved a lot lately by solving the small issues (not getting enough spin on serves, not following through enough on FH loops) but I've still got some major issues (footwork / resetting properly, not using enough wrist when chopping). I would not have identified these by myself and my previous coaches have either ignored this or been incapable of identifying the issues. You don't need that many hours with a coach if the quality is very good.

My 0.02€ as a novice.

4. The Following 2 Users Like mart1nandersson's Post:

OldschoolPenholder (11-12-2019),Takkyu_wa_inochi (11-10-2019)

5. Top | #9983
      says Petit Scarabée

Master TTD Member Country: Japan

Equipment:
      Blade Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Inner
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 80
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Spin Art

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 3,056 Times in 1,506 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by mart1nandersson View Post
      Getting a coach is really beneficial. A good coach can say what you're doing wrong but a VERY good coach can tell you how to improve those issues.

I've improved a lot lately by solving the small issues (not getting enough spin on serves, not following through enough on FH loops) but I've still got some major issues (footwork / resetting properly, not using enough wrist when chopping). I would not have identified these by myself and my previous coaches have either ignored this or been incapable of identifying the issues. You don't need that many hours with a coach if the quality is very good.

My 0.02€ as a novice.
      absolutely. I have been getting coaching on a regular basis. But even if you can't afford it on a weekly basis like I do, even if you do once a month with a good coach, and he tells you what you do, you can then work it with highly motivated friends, especially multiball. It would still help to play from time to time, like at least once a week with (much) better players than you as well to try to put in practice against them what the coach told you. Of course you also need to play with players of your level and below your level when training

6. The Following User Likes Takkyu_wa_inochi's Post:

OldschoolPenholder (11-12-2019)

7. Top | #9984
      This user has no status.

Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Carbonado 190
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,643 Times in 5,596 Posts
      The final of the most recent U2000 at Princeton. If my health continues to improve I might make a sincere push at training for 2100 again. But that assumes a lot about married life....

https://youtu.be/xbRVOrmnnsE
      Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

8. The Following 7 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

Der_Echte (11-11-2019),JeffM (11-12-2019),OldschoolPenholder (11-12-2019),Richie (11-14-2019),ttmonster (11-11-2019),UpSideDownCarl (11-11-2019),yoass (11-12-2019)

9. Top | #9985
      says Petit Scarabée

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      The final of the most recent U2000 at Princeton. If my health continues to improve I might make a sincere push at training for 2100 again. But that assumes a lot about married life....

excellent win , congratulations, excellent attacking playing in the last game, the guy was completely helpless, he had no chance at all

10. The Following 3 Users Like Takkyu_wa_inochi's Post:

NextLevel (11-11-2019),OldschoolPenholder (11-12-2019),UpSideDownCarl (11-11-2019)

11. Top | #9986
      says Grand Consultant to the Office
      of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member Country: South Korea
      Equipment:
      Blade Nexy Batos ALC
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar FX-S

Reviews
      Read 27 Reviews
      Liked 9,406 Times in 4,876 Posts

You could come on over to the LA and see some first rate sandbagging, you achieve and maintain a 2100 rating there, you earned it.

On one hand, performing the loosened wrist soft counter-topspins vs incoming young gun loops from mid distance will warp time and young/old minds alike.
      Last edited by Der_Echte; 11-11-2019 at 10:20 AM.
      President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
      http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
      http://www.nexyusa.com

View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
      http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

12. The Following 2 Users Like Der_Echte's Post:

OldschoolPenholder (11-12-2019),ttmonster (11-11-2019)

13. Top | #9987
      This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member Country: United States

Equipment:
      Blade Gambler IM8 Hinoki
      Forehand Rubber BH: Gambler Nine Ultra Tack
      Backhand Rubber FH: Gambler Burst Thors Hammer

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 371 Times in 203 Posts

Glad to see you playing AND playing well, NL. What's made the difference in your health? Seems like you're moving better than I've seen since I joined here.

14. The Following 2 Users Like thekleifheit13's Post:

OldschoolPenholder (11-12-2019),Takkyu_wa_inochi (11-11-2019)

15. Top | #9988
      This user has no status.

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by thekleifheit13 View Post
      Glad to see you playing AND playing well, NL. What's made the difference in your health? Seems like you're moving better than I've seen since I joined here.
      Quitting playing last year in some ways was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I started gaining weight rapidly and having a visible recalcitrant fluid buildup in my right leg after I stopped. That fluid build up kinda freaked me out. So trying to address that led me to intermittent fasting and low carb diets and a completely different approach to healthy eating vs what I was taught before that (for some context, I was a vegan for a while). The changes managed my autoimmune issues better and I have lost about 28 lbs and counting in the year and a half or so. The lighter weight helps me move better though my trashed joints are still shit. Maybe if I knew this 5 or 6 years ago, I could have preserved my health much better.

16. The Following 6 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

Der_Echte (11-12-2019),OldschoolPenholder (11-12-2019),Takkyu_wa_inochi (11-11-2019),thekleifheit13 (11-11-2019),UpSideDownCarl (11-11-2019),yoass (11-11-2019)

17. Top | #9989
      This user has no status.

Equipment:
      Blade Gambler IM8 Hinoki

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Quitting playing last year in some ways was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I started gaining weight rapidly and having a visible recalcitrant fluid buildup in my right leg after I stopped. That fluid build up kinda freaked me out. So trying to address that led me to intermittent fasting and low carb diets and a completely different approach to healthy eating vs what I was taught before that (for some context, I was a vegan for a while). The changes managed my autoimmune issues better and I have lost about 28 lbs and counting in the year and a half or so. The lighter weight helps me move better though my trashed joints are still shit. Maybe if I knew this 5 or 6 years ago, I could have preserved my health much better.
      Sometimes the shock/fear is what it takes. As always, super impressed at your ability and desire to keep tweaking and find ways to manage your symptoms.

I was an IF/low carb guy for about 5 years through college and traveling my life away at my first job. It kept me lean and helped my stomach issues but I often felt strung out. Recently I've been eating breakfast and have been going higher carb/lower fat (still 90-95% healthy food) and have been feeling better. Still throw 1 fasting/low carb day in, though, to let my digestive system catch up.

18. The Following 3 Users Like thekleifheit13's Post:

NextLevel (11-11-2019),OldschoolPenholder (11-12-2019),Takkyu_wa_inochi (11-11-2019)

19. Top | #9990
      This user has no status.

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Quote Originally Posted by thekleifheit13 View Post
      Sometimes the shock/fear is what it takes. As always, super impressed at your ability and desire to keep tweaking and find ways to manage your symptoms.

I was an IF/low carb guy for about 5 years through college and traveling my life away at my first job. It kept me lean and helped my stomach issues but I often felt strung out. Recently I've been eating breakfast and have been going higher carb/lower fat (still 90-95% healthy food) and have been feeling better. Still throw 1 fasting/low carb day in, though, to let my digestive system catch up.
      The most important thing IMO is that you have the knowledge and the flexibility to make the choices. Many people don't and have been completely miseducated by the commercial and ideological interests driving the "one plant based diet with 3 or more meals a day fits all" paradigm to dominate the airwaves. I am grateful that I at least had a chance to relearn all this. Given how this stuff is beginning to affect many people I come into contact with who either don't tie lifestyle to medicine or have been introduced only to the vegetarian paradigms, I get the opportunity to help a lot of people.

20. The Following 3 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

Der_Echte (11-12-2019),OldschoolPenholder (11-12-2019),thekleifheit13 (11-11-2019)

21. Top | #9991
      This user has no status.

Equipment:
      Blade Gambler IM8 Hinoki

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      The most important thing IMO is that you have the knowledge and the flexibility to make the choices. Many people don't and have been completely miseducated by the commercial and ideological interests driving the "one plant based diet with 3 or more meals a day fits all" paradigm to dominate the airwaves. I am grateful that I at least had a chance to relearn all this. Given how this stuff is beginning to affect many people I come into contact with who either don't tie lifestyle to medicine or have been introduced only to the vegetarian paradigms, I get the opportunity to help a lot of people.
      Agreed, wholeheartedly. There's a lot of people making way too much money hawking fad diets that have no emphasis on actual health and performance. The same is true with people making exercise programs as well. There's a few people doing it right, but nowhere near enough. Best we can do is work with people on a case-by-case basis and get them to understand how health, appearance, and performance all tie in together.

22. The Following User Likes thekleifheit13's Post:

OldschoolPenholder (11-12-2019)

23. Top | #9992
      of the Goon Squad

Equipment:
      Blade Nexy Batos ALC

Reviews
      Read 27 Reviews
      In Next Level's vid, I could hear Richard D in the background supporting Larry calmly in the right moments.

24. The Following 2 Users Like Der_Echte's Post:

NextLevel (11-12-2019),OldschoolPenholder (11-15-2019)

25. Top | #9993
      This user has no status.

Equipment:
      Blade Gambler IM8 Hinoki

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      I played last night with the UAkron team at Samson Dubina's new club. Can't say enough good things about Samson and what he does for the sport. His club is phenomenal and is open 6 days a week so I no longer have an excuse not to play

Quick backstory: I took some time off from April to October so that I could focus on getting healthy and planning my wedding. The wedding was awesome and the honeymoon in Iceland was even better still. Once I got home I started playing again and my game has come back pretty nicely. In the last 2 weeks especially I've played the best TT of my life. It seems that the extra focus on physical training made a big difference as I don't get anywhere near as worn out and beat up when I play. Other than that I'm focusing on having fun and it's working out well.

I got to the club right at 4 PM when they opened and it was just me, Samson, and the young guy that works the desk. I practiced serves for awhile and then Samson came over and hit with me for a short time, then did a 1 backhand, 2 forehand drill where the first forehand was spinny and the second was aggressive. It served as an awesome warmup and helped loosen up my footwork.

Then I played the guy that works the desk. He's just returning to TT after a long layoff (stopped at 14 and is 18 now) and is around 1100 or so. I beat him 3-0 and focused on a relaxed attacking strategy, trying to link consecutive attacks since he did a good job blocking.

At 5 the University team starts practice. We warmed up (they warmed up, I had already sweat through my shirt), then spent the whole practice working on serve strategies that play into our strengths. The team did some great work and I think they all made big improvements in the short time we had. I mostly helped them develop better serves, since that's my strong suit, and worked on keeping my serves tight and spinny. I also worked on a short FH pendulum with side-top which is gonna be a learning curve but would give nice variation. All in all, fun day and left me excited to go back next Monday.

26. The Following User Likes thekleifheit13's Post:

OldschoolPenholder (11-15-2019)

27. Top | #9994
      This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member Country: Australia

Equipment:
      Blade Timo Boll ALC pen
      Forehand Rubber H3 neo
      Backhand Rubber Tenergy 05

Reviews
      Read 6 Reviews
      Liked 762 Times in 339 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolPenholder View Post
      There are no secrets, no shortcuts, only hard work.

May or may not work for you ... I practiced more than playing matches. When i played a match, I forced myself to use whatever stroke i was focusing on all the time ... my RPB and FH loop have been the last 2 strokes I focused on. Looking at footwork now.

I did not care about winning or losing... only if I was able to execute the stroke properly or not during game play. I have a 9-90 record vs 1 friend ... lol at me.

Good luck in your SH journey si-hing! I still like you, you "faan gwat zai"
      Good to hear from you again OSP!

Strong FH in your videos! Your practice partner could not block some of your FH loops!
      Good progress on your RPB too! I notice the impact of the RPB is quite flat, not sure if that is what you are aiming for, it has good power, but the trajectory is flatter hence it becomes a more risky shot if the incoming ball is low near the table.

I've been working on my backhand with more emphasis recently, trying to make the stroke more natural.
      Over the last 3 weeks, I've been to Melbourne and Sydney, actually just arrived home from Sydney 3 hours ago.
      I managed to visit several local clubs and played with various different people, and some old friends too.
      Of note, I played against a guy who is training to get on to the national team. I actually met him 3 years ago when we were both captains of different teams in university games. I lost 11-2, and 11-1. The other thing I can be happy about is he didn't 'give' me any free points, I had to earn them by blocking some crazy attacks that both of us were surprised that I can manage to put them back on the table. He is very agile and trains quite regularly, and it does highlight the importance of having good agile legs.

P.S. I see Si-Hing is spotting Carl 8 points in their next encounter. I'm expecting 9 points from you OSP when we ever meet, if you ever go to Perth or if I end up in U.S. (unsure which city) for a conference.

28. The Following User Likes JeffM's Post:

29. Top | #9995
      This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member Country: Sweden

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,029 Times in 563 Posts
      https://youtu.be/fIfQNRtie88 What Do these guys use? I thought hardbat But my friend that play that alot tell me it is not possible. Bigger ball? Short pimple with very thin sponge?

30. The Following User Likes Lula's Post:

31. Top | #9996
      says modestly attempting kōhaiship
      of Jeul-Tak

Master TTD Member Country: Netherlands
      Equipment:
      Blade Vanity II (D.A.b Studio Custom)
      Forehand Rubber Andro Rasanter R53
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc G-1

Reviews
      Read 6 Reviews
      Liked 2,055 Times in 1,099 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
      https://youtu.be/fIfQNRtie88 What Do these guys use? I thought hardbat But my friend that play that alot tell me it is not possible. Bigger ball? Short pimple with very thin sponge?
      A very large ball?

32. The Following 2 Users Like yoass's Post:

OldschoolPenholder (11-15-2019),UpSideDownCarl (11-13-2019)

33. Top | #9997
      says Petit Scarabée

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      yes its 44mm balls. There are a lot of competitions with large balls here, its quite popular, especially among the elder TT players. the game is slower, even if you hit very hard, the ball won't go that fast...

34. The Following 3 Users Like Takkyu_wa_inochi's Post:

Lula (11-13-2019),OldschoolPenholder (11-15-2019),UpSideDownCarl (11-13-2019)

35. Top | #9998
      says Krooklyn District Goon Squad
      Commissioner

Equipment Expert
      Super Moderator Country: United States
      Equipment:
      Blade OSP Virtuoso +
      Forehand Rubber BH:Red F-XP
      Backhand Rubber FH:Black M-XP

Reviews
      Read 11 Reviews
      Liked 14,248 Times in 6,802 Posts
      I hit with a 44mm ball once. It was kind of fun. You can have crazy rallies with a 44mm ball.
      Spin Everything.

36. The Following User Likes UpSideDownCarl's Post:

37. Top | #9999
      of the Goon Squad

Equipment:
      Blade Nexy Batos ALC

Reviews
      Read 27 Reviews
      The standard-issue 44mm ball kind of game over there is supposed to be required to use some very not-so-spinny and not-so-fast bats as well. Think of rec hall short pips sponge...

That doesn't make for lighting shots or 10,000 rpm action, but it does give much more of a chance for a rally to last more than 2-3 touches.

38. The Following User Likes Der_Echte's Post:

39. Top | #10000
      This user has no status.

Equipment:

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Post 10000!

40. The Following 11 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

Dan (11-14-2019),Der_Echte (11-14-2019),JeffM (11-15-2019),mart1nandersson (11-14-2019),OldschoolPenholder (11-15-2019),Richie (11-14-2019),Takkyu_wa_inochi (11-14-2019),thekleifheit13 (11-14-2019),ttmonster (11-14-2019),UpSideDownCarl (11-14-2019),Wister (11-14-2019)