Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Good luck with a Stiga blade. I have zero respect for the brand given the number of blades I purchased which turned out to be crappy.

Crappy how? I just received the Stiga Centric.

The Infinity and the Eternity delaminated. Clipper just didn't seem to make sense given weight and balance. I am sure given the popularity of the Carbonado series and a few others that they can't be that bad, but it is just a decision I have taken.

They've really upped the finish in the last year. Nostalgic, Azalea, the Xu Xin blade and the more recent Carbonados all have a finish pretty much on par with Butterfly.
I have to say, I have seen and had too many products from Stiga that were worse than crappy. So I would agree with NextLevel. If they have improved the quality of their finish, I will be glad. But I still would never buy another Stiga product. A company that puts out as many of the things I have seen them come out with, I can't support that.

I do like how a lot of their blades feel. But I also feel like a lot of their blades are so easy to break it almost seems as if they were disposable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
From my (limited) experience with Stiga: Rosewood V, Carbonado 145, and Dynasty,
Stiga produces quality blades, but the finishing is not very reliable.
My Dynasty (more expensive than the rosewood and carbonado) had splinters on the head of the blade, and the part where my fingers wrap around the handle is extremely rough. I did not find this in my Timo ALC, however, I cant generalize to Butterfly as I have only owned 1 butterfly blade. As I was sanding the part where my fingers wrap around, a small strip of wood came loose, but it didn't affect me as that part needed to be sanded off anyway.

I think it is ok now after hours of sanding and refining the edges.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Butterfly spends the some of the extra money they take from their consumers and , their quality control and finish is superior to most of the factory made stuff out there... the only ones that can consistently top butterfly are the hand made ones produced by veteran blademakers ..
... but honestly Jeff my whole understanding was that you are big fan of xu xin and you wanted to play with his blade ... so you should be happy with what you got regardless of how it plays or stays ... meaning there is a whole different aspect to why you bought it ...

From my (limited) experience with Stiga: Rosewood V, Carbonado 145, and Dynasty,
Stiga produces quality blades, but the finishing is not very reliable.
My Dynasty (more expensive than the rosewood and carbonado) had splinters on the head of the blade, and the part where my fingers wrap around the handle is extremely rough. I did not find this in my Timo ALC, however, I cant generalize to Butterfly as I have only owned 1 butterfly blade. As I was sanding the part where my fingers wrap around, a small strip of wood came loose, but it didn't affect me as that part needed to be sanded off anyway.

I think it is ok now after hours of sanding and refining the edges.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Butterfly spends the some of the extra money they take from their consumers and , their quality control and finish is superior to most of the factory made stuff out there... the only ones that can consistently top butterfly are the hand made ones produced by veteran blademakers ..
... but honestly Jeff my whole understanding was that you are big fan of xu xin and you wanted to play with his blade ... so you should be happy with what you got regardless of how it plays or stays ... meaning there is a whole different aspect to why you bought it ...

Yep, I am still very happy that I have the blade, and will be using it for my training session with my coach this coming Saturday! The rough edges can't hold me back!

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Korean penhold blades are sold with very sharp bulky edges near handle. Every player is expected to "cut" the blade in this area. They usually do this by shaving it freehand with a box cutter and sanding. It is a rite of passage and ritual for the penholders to do this to the blades and no one complains. If they overshave, they glue on some cork and sand it down to their liking.

This user has no status.
Korean penhold blades are sold with very sharp bulky edges near handle. Every player is expected to "cut" the blade in this area. They usually do this by shaving it freehand with a box cutter and sanding. It is a rite of passage and ritual for the penholders to do this to the blades and no one complains. If they overshave, they glue on some cork and sand it down to their liking.
Hey what happened to your Monday RR play ,don't see ya anymore.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Update on my recent TT activities:
Since my defeat at the competition 2 weeks ago, Ive been getting more coaching. I've also trialed different coaches, and found that each has a different approach, and that this may be a good thing for me, as one may be from an older generation, and the other have a more contemporary style. I've also received a lesson from a coach who came here for one month from China, and again, different style, but made me realize what I was doing wrong.

My main issue is still the movement, which I think has definitely improved with the coaching as well as my persistence in exercising daily. The other issue is the match thinking, i.e. the understanding of ways to obtain points in a match, which I think comes with how often I play and can be lost if I don't play matches for a long time.

Tuesday I filled in for a pennant match, and had to play against 3 shakehanders (2 anti-spinners and 1 inverted). To my surprise, I was able to win all of them, but not without difficulty. I recorded the matches and there were some great points. I was glad I have the opportunity to practice against this style, as well as to put the strategies that my coach taught me in practice.

I have been able to put much more time into TT this rotation as my roster is relatively stable, and I think the coaching is definitely a motivation for me to get better!

EXCELLENT you have been getting coaching and the lessons HELPED! I cannot in good conscience pay for coaching given my current stage of Life. So I watch some videos sometimes but I mostly self-learn by practicing as much as I can. Even to the point of losing matches as I force myself to implement the technique during matchplay.

I am not about winning and losing. I am about self-perfection. Looking to improve. As I do not get coaching lessons, it is taking a lot longer for me to improve. However, it is also about the proverbial "journey and not the destination". I am having Fun along the way as well.

Hi guys, thinking of getting a new blade.
Would you guys recommend lacquering it?
Would doing so actually change the playing characteristics of the blade? (Stiga Xu Xin Blade)
Thanks!

A friend/club member recommends using clear nail polish. 42andbackpains recommends something he read from mytt - using hairspray.

Der_Echte generously gifted me a Nexy Amazon PH blade about 2 years ago. I did not laminate/lacquer it. After replacing the rubber, part of the wood stripped off. Regret not lacquering it.

Coincidentally, I just bought the Gambler Fire Touch for $40 USD based on @suds79 recommendation. For $40, it did not come in a box and is non-lacquered. I don't have hairspray but do have access to clear nail polish. Will add 1 or 2 coats to the Gambler.

The delivery date is tomorrow, but on a Sunday afternoon, DHL express has delivered the joy of my weekend to me.
You cannot hear me, but I am shrieking in excitement.

View attachment 19513

CONGRATULATIONS!!! AWESOMENESS!!!!

Ah to be young with little responsibility! I cannot afford a blade like that given my Family Man stage of life with 2 daughters in college and son attending in 2 yrs LOL

Sometimes you pay for quality and it will be better than cheaper alternatives. I still have my Butterfly Taksim, which a friend gave me, and it was used a lot already. I have played with it over a year now and quite used to it. BUT i do not like the chunky/fat handle. Hampers my TPB punch/block somewhat. Decided to try the Gambler Fire Touch.

My old Double Happiness (aka DHS) "08" 7 ply PH blade was the best. I dubbed it "Excalibur". Too bad the handle broke. But i custom grooved a factory DHS blade, sliced it off and put it on the "08".

Over 60% of the PH in my club has shaved the wings a little to a lot. I'm hesitant to really shave too much off my carbon Taksim though.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello DTT CCers!

UPDATE ON ME:

SHORT SUMMARY:

I have improved a lot, have been playing 4x a week for 6 months if not more.

LONG POST:

I have not posted in some time of my progress. Have not video'd my matches. Playing mostly matches but occassionally am able to only practice/train. Sometimes I am fortunate to play vs 2 2000 players (lose easily). But I mostly play vs 1700-1900 players. Some are as ttmonster calls "boom boom" players - players who have a faster paced game. But as my club is a Dept of Parks Recreation Center with Senior membership fees of $25/yr (!!!), we have many senior players (62+yrs old).

I have 2 regular partners I play with. One is 65 yrs old and plays steady and will attack occasionally. I have lost to him 50 or 60 times and won 6 times. I may exaggerate the numbers of his wins, but vs him I have only won 6x. I am not looking to beat him per se. I am looking to improve my gameplay and techniques. Trying to anticipate the balls instead of reacting to them.

I took about 6 months playing SH to learn and groove the SH BH as a precursor to playing PH RPB. I think the time I invested in my SH BH has helped tremendously my RPB flat hit. Then I spent maybe 8 or 9 months playing RPB and trying to ignore my TPB oldschool PH instincts.

There seems to be 2 schools of thought for RPB:

1. Use RPB to spin.
2. Use RPB to block, punch, flat hit, smash, and spin.

I opted to work on my RPB foundation/basics and took the 2nd approach. Lately I am a little more consistent during gameplay, ball doesn't hit my fingers as much as before, so now I am working on spinning more.

Vs the 65 yr old steady player, I FORCED my RPB loops. Also I 'lost' my FH loop during the past year or so as I neglected it and concentrated soley on RPB. Lucky in the past 5 months or so, I have 'gotten' my FH loop back. I AM NOT A LOOPER. I am not steady. If I get my first over, it is usually to set up smashing, one of my strengths. However, vs this partner, I have tried to become a better looper and force myself to loop more be it FH or RPB. i have missed many and lost many matches. Again, I do not care about winning or losing. It is about changing my style from smashing to be well-rounded and loop more as well as trying to rally longer into the point instead of smashing. Easily one of my strengths is smashing. Fortunate to have learned from Alex Tam when I was a kid. Also very fortunate when I was younger that Rey Domingo, a 2400 looper/lobber worked with me. He kept lobbing and I kept smashing. But I do not want to continue with my strengths, I want to strengthen my weaknesses and improve. Hence my losing of matches but forcing myself to loop way more, out of my comfort zone. I would 2nd ball or 3rd ball loop whereas i generally would push and set up a 4th ball or later loop instead of 2nd/3rd ball loops.

I have another regular partner I play. He is 70 yrs old and has conservative serves, excellent FH and BH smashes and good FH loop. Plays JPen. With him as well as the 65 yr old, i have learned to relax more, and not rush my shots. I have beaten this 70 yr old 2x now, both 3-0, but close games. Although I have lost to him 15x or more.

2 other regular partners I play - a late 30's young man who is a boom boom player as ttmonster calls them LOL. SH double-winged looper. About 1900. I have only beaten him once at 3-2, but despite losses, I am rallying deeper into the point and scores are closer now. This shows my my RPB blocks and punches are working as well as periodically surprising him with a RPB loop. I have lost to him 15+ times also.

The 4th regular partner is a SH with LP on his BH, doesn't twiddle. Sometimes he plays defensive letting his LP psyche me out, sometimes he will FH loop with a wicked fast sidespin loop. Have lost to him 15+ times also, won only 1x at 3-2. But lately my losses are closer in scores and my FH loops and RPB smashes and punches are succesful.

I lost track ... have been going to the club 4 nights a week for 6 months now? 2-3 hrs a night, although gameplay may be 1 hr to 90 mins, rarely 2 hrs, part of time is waiting for next.

Have improved tremendously. In the past during practice I'm 100 to 200 pts better than my gameplay. Now, perhaps my gameplay has improved and my overall level may have improved from 1500/1600 to 1700/1800. Not a consistent 1800 though. IIRC Der_Echte estimated my gameplay at 1700 when i played him as an oldschool PH with no RPB.

This Sunday, 42andbackpains will go a friend's house in NJ to play vs some of our old 1980's TT crew. We are mostly in our 50's and playing for fun and bragging rights LOL. 42andbackpains is recovering from injuries so he won't be playing as much. When healthy, he was probably the best of us and he continously played and received regular coaching lessons through the years. Will video my matches and post for DTT CCers to laugh at me :)

I felt I improved quite a bit, so when and if I ever meet ttmonster and/or JeffM, I will request 8 points instead of 9 ;-)

Very truly yours in TT,

~OSPH

p.s. As i have in the past, i will continue to thank NextLevel re: nospin serves! It has helped my gameplay vs my 4 regular partners. BUT SURPRISINGLY I played a young 2000+ lady and an older gentleman who is also 2000, and my nospin serves have helped me win freebie points! Totally amazed at it. perhaps they do not know about nospin serves or perhaps I have a deceptive serve motion and show them heavy sidetop and sidedown and then later give them the good old nospin serve.

THANK YOU NEXTLEVEL!

p.p.s. Solely on @suds79 recommendation, i bought the Gambler Fire Touch and will try it out. My current primary blade, Butterfly Taksim, carbon blade, with Donic Bluefire on FH lacks 'touch'. Perhaps it is the blade or the rubber or the chunky handle. Bought the Gambler due to suds' recommendation and description mentioning it has touch as well as a thinner handle. I don't like chunky/fat handles.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Hello DTT CCers!

UPDATE ON ME:

SHORT SUMMARY:

I have improved a lot, have been playing 4x a week for 6 months if not more.

I felt I improved quite a bit, so when and if I ever meet ttmonster and/or JeffM, I will request 8 points instead of 9 ;-)

Very truly yours in TT,

~OSPH

Welcome back OSP!!
Great to hear you have improved alot!!
I think it is only reasonable that next time I see you, instead of 9 points, I may have to ask for 10 points : -)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Welcome back OSP!!
Great to hear you have improved alot!!
I think it is only reasonable that next time I see you, instead of 9 points, I may have to ask for 10 points : -)

I improved to a level that instead of asking for 9, I will ask for 8 points :)

Reactions: JeffM
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Newark Open results for NexyUSA.com prez...

Open 2nd Place
U2100 1st Place
U50 Seniors 1st Place

Got by in my rr group to immediately play in finals. Lost 0-3 to James Therriault. Still got a game check though.

Played in U2100 and O50 Seniors. Won finals in both no money, but I really had to focus and attack first strong and high percentage.

My match scores will show I really took the fight to the U2100 and O50 opponents... a couple have defeated me before. I gave them zero chance.

Venue was very poor light conditions... usually I am a huge complainer... and I did grumble... but match time, I turned into tournament William and played the warrior.

Sure, the opponents I won were 100 to 150 points lower rated, but were capable dangerous. Had to play and win vs a player rated near or half level better.

Met a few new friends. Very good experience.
a4f42cb889a4522570de253fb90d8eb3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
I played tt yesterday with my coach in the uni sports centre, where we get to have more space to move around.
I didn't play well, but I think I know why.

After last saturday training, my index finger was hurting. I played with my robot on last sunday, with my new blade, and afterwards, i noticed the index finger more. Initially i thought it was the new blade, perhaps not sanding enough, but now I realized it isn't the surface of my index finger hurting, but from the inside. So that made me not able to grip the blade properly, and I was missing alot of my backhand open up. I suspect I may have sprained it last saturday, or have irritated a tendon, which has happened once before, and it took like weeks to recover.

I wasn't moving well yesterday also, previously i would blame it on my knees, but yesterday it wasn't them... they were doing very well, but i realized that my big toes hurt like crazy when i try to move my feet on the court, I suspect it is my shoes, as afterwards, i was getting blisters / callus on the side of my big toes. I know I have flat feet, so maybe I need to get an orthotics.

I also sustained an injury to my 4th finger, when blocking my coach's looping, the ball hit the bone of the joint several times, it was hurting quite a bit, then when i looked at it after i got home, it has bruised, his loops were very spinny, so maybe broke one of the veins, which isn't hard as i don't have much fat on that area.

So it seems like I am going to take a rest from TT :/
Not ideal as I just got a new blade, but injuries do occur.
P.s. i typed this msg without my 2nd index finger, and realized how important it is for typing too.