Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Last night...

Despite not really in my family budget and not wanting to be selfish, i joined a new TT club for 3 months last night due to a special they ran (while still a member of my current club). Instead of paying $10 for a visit, the special was $30 a month, but it had to be 3 months upfront. My current club is a rec center, so it's $100 for the year. I planned on going to the new club 1x a week for at least 2 months. So it made sense to join for 3 months.

Checked the new club out last week and posted here that a coach there hit with me a few weeks back at my club and, via my friend/clubmate "Mommy', invited me to his club.

Hit with a hardcore TT player for ~10 mins. Way above my level. Only his 2nd day in the USA from China, he went searching for a TT club! In USA for a few months, he goes to this new club. He and the lady I hit with last week showed me my dinosaur ways :(

I don't have video, but both he and the lady seemed to 'hug' the table. Where I am a half step away from the table, my racket is behind the table. I am still letting the ball drop. I am trying to meet the ball earlier. They both had their racket 'inside' and over the table. Not sure if I am describing it well enough for you all to understand. Structurally they were faster than me as they had less distance to travel to meet the ball, but it was interesting for me to see.

I generally don't watch TT how-to's videos. Will at some point to see if anyone else hits like this. I don't think this is for me, as it seems too extreme, but using them as visualization to help me meet the ball earlier.

I hit with the coach for 10 mins also. He reiterated what 42andbackpains and everyone here pointed out to me on this thread and another thread. My strokes are all dead dinosaurs :(

Practiced serving pure downspin for a few mins. Have vid, thought i had my phone angled properly, but i got home and watched and video doesn't show the net :( Won't post vid.

May all the net and edge balls go your way!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I was looking for a TT club at the end of the summer. Excellent advice from OSP and Carl helped me turn my rubber protectors into a can opener.

Proof:
can-blade.jpg

My first can was delicious: Wang Chen TTC in the UWS. Not super close to my place. But neither were the other good options. So I stuck to it for a while.

In the meantime, a wise mermaid argued beyond all doubts that it was about time that I move in with her already. Wang Chen TTC wasn't much further away, so I kept going quite happily.

But you see, can openers can't fix trains. Our underground rust buckets on wheels had been protesting against my TT for a while; scheduled and unscheduled repairs and delays making it more and more of a chore to get my spin scalpel to the club.

It was time to look at my TT cans options again.

Thanks to my favorite fish lady (well, my favorite lady, period), I had changed neighborhood since I last looked at their shiny metal tops. Lowe and behold, there was a recreation center with TT that I had never heard of, in Sunset Park, practically in my backyard. (Here 25-30 mins of walking and public transport feels like a backyard.)

It didn't even take two weeks for Nexy to help Carl and his awesome family to fish me out of there for official greetings, and for a solemn farewell to their Christmas tree.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Last night...

Despite not really in my family budget and not wanting to be selfish, i joined a new TT club for 3 months last night due to a special they ran (while still a member of my current club). Instead of paying $10 for a visit, the special was $30 a month, but it had to be 3 months upfront. My current club is a rec center, so it's $100 for the year. I planned on going to the new club 1x a week for at least 2 months. So it made sense to join for 3 months.

Checked the new club out last week and posted here that a coach there hit with me a few weeks back at my club and, via my friend/clubmate "Mommy', invited me to his club.

Hit with a hardcore TT player for ~10 mins. Way above my level. Only his 2nd day in the USA from China, he went searching for a TT club! In USA for a few months, he goes to this new club. He and the lady I hit with last week showed me my dinosaur ways :(

I don't have video, but both he and the lady seemed to 'hug' the table. Where I am a half step away from the table, my racket is behind the table. I am still letting the ball drop. I am trying to meet the ball earlier. They both had their racket 'inside' and over the table. Not sure if I am describing it well enough for you all to understand. Structurally they were faster than me as they had less distance to travel to meet the ball, but it was interesting for me to see.

I generally don't watch TT how-to's videos. Will at some point to see if anyone else hits like this. I don't think this is for me, as it seems too extreme, but using them as visualization to help me meet the ball earlier.

I hit with the coach for 10 mins also. He reiterated what 42andbackpains and everyone here pointed out to me on this thread and another thread. My strokes are all dead dinosaurs :(

Practiced serving pure downspin for a few mins. Have vid, thought i had my phone angled properly, but i got home and watched and video doesn't show the net :( Won't post vid.

May all the net and edge balls go your way!

Which club? :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Sir,

Watched this in full after TT last night. You seemed off in this match. He is a PH that backs away from the table and sometimes chops! Interesting for me as a PH to watch this. I do some similar things on serve receive which he does.

Thank you.

Curious, what do you estimate his rating as being?

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
... practically in my backyard. (Here 25-30 mins of walking and public transport feels like a backyard.)

I go to a rec center in queens (https://www.nycgovparks.org/facilities/recreationcenters/Q401), it's 3 subway stations from home, no matter how tired i am from TT, 98% of the time i walk home. Takes ~25 mins. Extra exercise for body as well as willpower lol

------------

1. The new club is out of your way ... it's in Flushing. It's about a 10 mins walk after you get off the last stop of the #7 train.

https://liloebertt.com/

2. Also, in Flushing there is also Robert Chen's club - i've yet to check this club out, i think it's also about a 10 mins if not lesser after you get off the subway.

http://aacct.org/ny/index.php

3. This club is a little further out, 42andbackpains goes there, it was the site of a few GoonSquad missions!

http://indoorsportsny.com/

Reactions: Suga D and OhWell
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Watched this last night fully after i got home from TT. He is the same old MB! Although he was way more restrained at that club and/or that night. At my club, there's so much noise with the Olympic lifters dropping their weights, etc. MB is less restrained.

Again, not looking to beat him in a match just for the sake of notching one on my belt. Since our points generally don't get past 3 or 4 balls, if i beat him, it would show some overall improvement on my part. There were a few points in your match, he showed how he can control the ball with side to side placement. As I'm close to the table compared to you being a few steps away, if i let him control the point, i am behind in the OODA Loop, am reacting and not proacting (is this a word? meant proactive)

Thank you for the inspiring video Sir!

He was "more restrained" because he knows realistically, he should have no chance of beating me and he had a chance. So he knew he had no right to really complain. He was kinda lucky we warmed up each other earlier in the day so he had a chance to learn to manage my spin without pressure. And even that said, I just didn't sustain my level for 3 games - should have been 3-0, not 3-2 with up and down playing level and letting him set up points with my loops and flicks to the wrong positions on the table.

This user has no status.
Update, the K1 Pro and Butterfly A40+ came in. Dam, just put on a sheet of Dianchi D, itching to put on the K1 Pro.

k1 pro and a40+.jpg

Did some serve practice with the new sheet of Dianchi D and its pretty close to K1 Hybrid Plus. Hoping the K1 Pro plays the best.
***UPDATE, i have played about 1 hour on the new Dianchi D sheet. Its faster and has more spin than K1 Hybrid Plus but a little less control.
K1 Hybrid Plus < Dianchi D < H3 Neo with booster.
Butterfly A40+ is definitely a rebranded DHS D40+.

That is all for now, dismissed!!!

Last edited:
------

Saw Mark Berg last night, because I wasn't feeling 100%, I didn't even try to play him a match. In the past, I would try to play him to see where I'm at in my unretirment. Using my matches with him as a barometer on the progress of my unretirment.

Saw PPH - looking good as always. Saw some of Dominican players also... you know they are in da house when you hear 100+ fast 'pocks pocks' lol

M2 asked MB to play me that nite...he usually is quiet when he plays me... :cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hey ... the loot from our homegrown table tennis Santa has arrived ... it was happy surprise on a chilly morning .. THANK YOU @NextLevel ... its just awesome ! ... I am going to put a Tenergy 05 and a boosted Provicial H3 .. but before that I am going to try the Hexer and the 25-FX that you kindly included in the gift ... just for kicks ! ....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Guys, what happens if you use a booster with VOC glue? Are they compatible or would they kill the rubber?

Wouldn't that just mean your rubber gets ever so slightly more stretched?

I use rubber cement, which has VOCs to glue my non-tuned rubbers. I probably have used it once before with boost on a rubber I boosted. It's probably fine.

But I've only boosted 1 layer before. Ever so slightly domed. I haven't boosted several layers to where the rubber curls over itself like you see on some images.

I guess it just depends on how much tension you think the rubber can take before that topsheet separates from the sponge and you get a bubble (cough - DHS). So just be smart about it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Got to hit a few balls (5-10 minutes) with a Nexy Spear (w. 2x T05FX) yesterday. (Indirectly, thanks to Carl!) With those rubbers the feel was spectacular: clear but quite gentle. Didn't get to explore all the gears - just low to medium - but on those control was a breeze. The flare handle felt like a glove. At the price Spear seems like a no brainer for people looking for a 5 ply wood, limba beast.

Good thing I'm so satisfied with my BBC Flashdrive, or I might have been in for some Nexy EJ..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Another quick review about the Hype KR 47.5, after using it 3*2.5 hour:
It feels soft, way softer than the other rubbers I've played. It's also much more insensitive to spin. I still can't get big amounts of spin with FH, but generating medium amounts is extremely easy. With BH I can get good spin in BH-BH exchanges. Actually I despite of a slight arm stiffness, I could play very effectively with it. I was very close to the beating of our second league level junior player (around 35 hours of training per week).
The best about it is the easiness of killing opening loops (not smashing it like with an SP). It lacks spin and weak far from the table counters (if you're in a good position it does the job well, but otherwise lacks the power of Evolution/Tenergy series).
Oh, I forgot to mention that it's the best ever rubber for short game I've ever used. Control+spin together. Actually better than H3.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Got to hit a few balls (5-10 minutes) with a Nexy Spear (w. 2x T05FX) yesterday. (Indirectly, thanks to Carl!) With those rubbers the feel was spectacular: clear but quite gentle. Didn't get to explore all the gears - just low to medium - but on those control was a breeze. The flare handle felt like a glove. At the price Spear seems like a no brainer for people looking for a 5 ply wood, limba beast.

Good thing I'm so satisfied with my BBC Flashdrive, or I might have been in for some Nexy EJ..

Sounds like fun. Did you find the 05FX bouncy in the short game on the Spear?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Another quick review about the Hype KR 47.5, after using it 3*2.5 hour:
It feels soft, way softer than the other rubbers I've played. It's also much more insensitive to spin. I still can't get big amounts of spin with FH, but generating medium amounts is extremely easy. With BH I can get good spin in BH-BH exchanges. Actually I despite of a slight arm stiffness, I could play very effectively with it. I was very close to the beating of our second league level junior player (around 35 hours of training per week).
The best about it is the easiness of killing opening loops (not smashing it like with an SP). It lacks spin and weak far from the table counters (if you're in a good position it does the job well, but otherwise lacks the power of Evolution/Tenergy series).
Oh, I forgot to mention that it's the best ever rubber for short game I've ever used. Control+spin together. Actually better than H3.
Now it sounds like Karis M.