Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Today's find in the basement. Went missing sometime in 1989 during a move. Loving it. Seem to be made of genuine leather.
IMG_5385.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Shucks, i hope you have a speedy recovery.
Actually i was planning to take my son to Burger's zoo in Arnhem this summer, but unfortunately we didn't make it this summer, so we rescheduled for next spring. While we're in the area, we might come over to hit a few balls with you.

Funny thing is, my big bottle of revolution (still halfway full) also turned brown-ish. Must be something oxidating inside or so. But as you said, the bond isn't affected by the colour.

Yeah, I also was hoping on a speedy recovery, but unfortunately nothing has changed regarding the injury. Exactly two weeks ago I got the first symptoms, I should give it another week before visiting my doctor for another consult. In case it doesn't cure by itself, visiting the neurologist for an E.M.G. might be necessary.

Burgers' Zoo is actually a really nice zoo in my opinion, I've been visising it multiple times. I really liked the rainforest, although it was really humid ;).
Do you already know when exactly in the spring you plan on visiting?

About the glue; I have been trying the yellow/brown-ish glue on some other things first (remains of an old, cut rubber and a piece of plywood) as I said. Although the bond didn't really seem to be affected, it seems that removing the layer of glue from the sponge was a bit harder than it used to be, it didn't come off in one piece. You think half full bottles speed up the oxidizing process since there's obviously more air inside?

says what [IMG]
Hit a bit today. It's been some time. Fortunately, whatever habits and techniques I had before my hiatus, good or bad, are still there. Just had to take it easy so as to not injure myself immediately, with the body not being used to it and all.

@NextLevel

Unsurprisingly, nearly everything one can read or hear nowadays is just plain bogus. I remember reading a nutrition label for some sweet/pastry product here that stated something like 8 - 9 grams of sugar being nearly 10% of the average adult's recommended daily intake. That amounts to 100 or so grams daily! I wonder how many days you could go on eating like that with the average lifestyle before you go into a coma! That's just plain dangerous, and not even in a minor way.

Well, your diet is getting sorted out, I hope it starts improving things. Supposedly some people with some kind of autoimmune diseases have been seemingly cured/greatly alleviated by eating more or less only red meats and green leafs, avoiding carbs and sugar like the plague. All I know for sure is that, for most people, fruits, nuts and meats are essential. Can't get by just with vegetables and soy products to my knowledge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
hi

I feel a lot of improvement in the last months thanks to the hard training.

My new motto now: play more SLOWLY !!! especially receive and 3rd ball attack (unless these are really easy balls). Playing quickly usually means taking more risk and having a higher % error, AND the ball goes back quicker, which makes it more difficult. Getting back in position after serving is not easy, same after a difficult receive, especially if the ball is short and the next one comes long, so by playing a slower ball, yes it gives the opponent more time, but it gives me more time, which is even more important.

I'm getting good in rallies, so not losing cheap points on the first few strokes is the key for having better results. When there is an easier ball, then go for a strong attack or for a kill. If the opponent attacks strong first and its on the table, I don't hesitate to block or counter firmly.

Apart from serve/receive, the balls on which I have most problem are not the fast and strong attacks, but the slow (even if its high) very spinny topspins.

i wanted to share this.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Training video with my coach (he's being kind with me and lets me play a bit)
my best set of the day is the last (extra) one

at the end of the match (before the extra set), he tells me I'm not playing agressively enough,
well because i'm in the philosophy of playing more slowly and go for higher % shots. But yes its difficult to find the right balance because if its too slow, its too easy for the opponent, and too fast its making too many unforced errors.

But as you will see, I'm hearing his advice :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXP7gN1eEM

says what [IMG]
It's been a while, but I got the chance to hit again. Because I haven't posted in a hundred years or so, I'm in black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmiJc0YQxog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25q0O8z36ek

Playing some """games""" with my usual partner. Not really trying to win, just trying to move to the ball. Quite unsuccessfully. At least it seems that my overall posture is more geared to the whole moving thing, as opposed to before. But I still straighten my knees progressively, and do some weird shit due to it.

And yes, the net is in dreadful condition :(.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Training video with my coach (he's being kind with me and lets me play a bit)
my best set of the day is the last (extra) one

at the end of the match (before the extra set), he tells me I'm not playing agressively enough,
well because i'm in the philosophy of playing more slowly and go for higher % shots. But yes its difficult to find the right balance because if its too slow, its too easy for the opponent, and too fast its making too many unforced errors.

But as you will see, I'm hearing his advice :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXP7gN1eEM

I think you had a much better balance/risk assessment/decision making in this match about this than your coach did. You coach was going for way too many flashy counter topspin balls out of time or position.

There are many paths to go that lead to improvement and success. The one you are going down will work. A progressive approach where you do something a little slower to get bio mechanics, movement to ball, stance and leverage right before stepping it progressively up and faster is a sound approach that can work.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It's been a while, but I got the chance to hit again. Because I haven't posted in a hundred years or so, I'm in black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmiJc0YQxog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25q0O8z36ek

Playing some """games""" with my usual partner. Not really trying to win, just trying to move to the ball. Quite unsuccessfully. At least it seems that my overall posture is more geared to the whole moving thing, as opposed to before. But I still straighten my knees progressively, and do some weird shit due to it.

And yes, the net is in dreadful condition :(.

You have shown improvement, but overall, many times you are leaning and going backwards at impact. You are also often hitting way in front of impact zone. Your serving looks ahead of the rest of your game.

says what [IMG]
You have shown improvement, but overall, many times you are leaning and going backwards at impact. You are also often hitting way in front of impact zone. Your serving looks ahead of the rest of your game.
Yeah, the depth aspect is the hardest. I think I can do a pretty decent side-to-side drill, or get the occasional easy ball in random play. Any forward or backward, especially if it's subtle, and it falls apart. We did some drills for that, and I focused mainly on that during the games. I managed to take one ball over the table that I'd normally not even hit. Off balance with no quality, but it's a start.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I think you had a much better balance/risk assessment/decision making in this match about this than your coach did. You coach was going for way too many flashy counter topspin balls out of time or position.

There are many paths to go that lead to improvement and success. The one you are going down will work. A progressive approach where you do something a little slower to get bio mechanics, movement to ball, stance and leverage right before stepping it progressively up and faster is a sound approach that can work.

obviously he's not playing seriously at all though. He makes some silly mistakes. He's quite a few levels above me, but I am also working with coaches which are (way) better players than him. To give an idea, his personal best was a 1st round appearance in the national championship here in Japan, and he was the high-school champ in his prefecture. His real style is defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrWgu0aqsNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrQ2SpU6-HU

----
I think indeed that new approach (for me) will give good long term results. I even surprised myself the other day in some very close training matches where naturally in the "money time" at the end of sets, I managed naturally to give my best shots and win the best rallies without overthinking and changing anything at all. So trying to be more consistent isn't incompatible with going for it when necessary.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Just spent a three day weekend at a training camp at St, Neotts in Cambs. https://www.topedgetabletennis.co.uk/table-tennis-training-camps. 5-6 hours each day.

Really good fun, but a little (actually a lot) exhausting for an oldie like me. A wide variety of attendees, so I wasn't the lowest level, and had a couple of chances to play against Carl Prean (former World Rank 18), and others from UK national teams. On top of a service receive session at home with Craig Bryant last Sunday, I am now officially over-coached for the next few days. Which is probably just as well, as I have two matches in different leagues this week, plus a Handicap Tournament Match against some of the best players in the area. All I have to do is get 6 points while my opponent gets no more than 20, which sounds much easier than it will be. If I have any strength left...

says what [IMG]
Had a big revelation when doing shadow footwork a few days ago. Now when I think about it, it's obvious.

I have a bad habit of straightening out my legs and pushing up after a stroke. So even if I'm in good position before, or I move well to the first shot of the rally, I'll straighten myself out more and more after each stroke, and I'll end up basically legs straight by the 7th ball. That's why I keep tipping backwards late into rallies.

Now when I think about it and compare the feeling in shadow drills, it's obvious. What's "off" is more clear now. Should work on that next time, doing a few minutes of some simple drills, filming it and reviewing and making a change immediately after. If I can stay TOO LOW during the entire rally for a start, that'd be good.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Heya how are you all doing?

I just got a new Phone, the Huawei 8light something... Whatever it has got a very nice camera... meaning im going to record me playing again! Yay, looking forward to how bad I look in comparison to what i think i look like.

So the season has started in Switzerland and i made my debut in the third league. Also i moved and live near a club, where i can train with strong players more easely now. This has made my game progress a lot, not that much in the technical aspect of the game, its more tactics and reading the game. I thought that i could (maybe) hold 50% in the higher league but as for now I am at 10:2 beating players rated 200+ more than me (even 350 in two occasions).

This weekend i played a tournament and won against a player with a 20:10 record in the second league, and lost (after two match balls) against a similar strong opponent. As a little damper i strained some muscle in my leg, probably the Gracilis from the hip turning and pushing off the ground while playing the forehand topspin.

However as im taking a break from playing and writing this, I am really happy about where things are heading!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Big Match today! We are playing against the favorite in our group. If we manage to beat them we have good chances of going up a league, which would be the second promotion in succession. I am really looking forward to playing their ace. And I am going to videotape it! Somehow im missing my quick change plate for the camera holder... i try to mac giver something with bungeebands :) Wish me good luck!

This user has no status.
Gotta start off by saying I think it's so friggin' cool that this thread is still going! I'm coming back (again) after a looong layoff where I pursued other priorities, ie getting engaged, building a house, skiing, etc. Decided to jump right into it and go to Samson Dubina's league night and play 8 matches with a renewed priority on just staying loose and enjoying myself. Lo and behold, I played some of my best tischtennis ever. Yes, I made more unforced errors than ever thanks to timing, but I think my mechanics and shot quality were pretty solid all things considered. I think I took things wayy too seriously before I stopped playing so my goal now is to play to have fun by playing a controlled spin game that doesn't tax my body as much as before so I can keep my love of lifting, skiing, and table tennis in balance. I hope everyone's been well and has generally kicked ass at table tennis and life in the interim \m/(-_-)\m/

Reactions: sspark80 and JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Here are the promised recordings... However i am pretty disappointed in the outcome... we lost very bad.

All the stuff i worked on in the past time and that had started to come into matchplay vanished that day :(

I really don't know why i kept on pushing the ball back with the forehand as weakly and why i did not play more spin oriented

Anyhow it can never hurt to see oneself playing. More is to follow :) I hope you enjoy it still.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Here are the promised recordings... However i am pretty disappointed in the outcome... we lost very bad.

All the stuff i worked on in the past time and that had started to come into matchplay vanished that day :(

I really don't know why i kept on pushing the ball back with the forehand as weakly and why i did not play more spin oriented

Anyhow it can never hurt to see oneself playing. More is to follow :) I hope you enjoy it still.

Dude, looks like your power has really jumped up since I last saw you play! Do you think any of your passiveness was because you were playing a strong team in a higher league? I play way too conservative if I know my opponent is good and that's what it looks like for you as well. Unfortunately, I don't totally know how to fix it... But at least you have the experience against them now, I'm sure it'll go better next time!

Last edited:
Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Hi Boogar,

I've watched a bit your videos but not the whole of them because it was quite long and I think i've grasped already a lot of things for you to think about

First of all, i remember your first videos and you have definitely improved a huge lot.

(+) I am very impressed by your footwork and overall balance. we can definitely see you doing bouncing on your feet nearly after every shot, you are pivoting well. So when you are not too far from the ball, you are always adjusting yourself. I think your timing is good most of the time, because your footwork is good. Even when playing the short balls or pushes you are going actively to the ball and thats good
(+) Your FH has become powerful as well. There are some glimpses of your attacking BH which is promising but we don't see enough of it
(+) serves are good.
(+) your opponents are not strong servers but you didn't make too many mistakes receiving, overall it was good on those matches.

(-) consistency. you are not consistent enough, especially with your opening loop where much too often you are putting too much power and/or you are not relaxed. So either thats a miss or because your shot is fast, it comes back fast but you're not recovering quickly enough and can't make a second attack. When you slow it down , which you did at times, its much better and thats how you won some games, being able to connect another FH or BH to stay in the rally

(-) long push. usually the push on the receive is very good. But then 2nd or later pushes are not good. First of all when a long push is coming at you, you should really try to attack it, your attacking FH is good and so is your footwork, so there is no reason to push it back. But even if you need to push it again, i can sense like for your topspin that your arm is not relaxed, and that you don't see that the incoming ball has not much backspin, so its always popping up , setting up the opponent for an easy attack

(-) you don't recover quickly enough because you put too much power in the previous shot / lost your balance / don't watch the ball, and you tend when you feel late (often the case) to go further away from the table, opening angles on the side. Your level is going up so you're now playing against stronger players, and they can easily take advantage of those angles if you're going back too much. A simple block is putting you out of reach a lot of times.

my main recommendation is to slow down a bit your opening attacks, and change your mindset to go for longer rallies and stay closer to the table. Work more on your pushes and backspin game. It's not good enough, and I believe against backspin players you would be very much at a disadvantage.

Reactions: yoass and Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
my session yesterday was really excellent. I had a good warm up, did some FH drills , then 2/2, performed well those, and had really good feeling.

So i played my buddy who's stronger than me, but H to H, i'm better than him, and i beat him much more often than i should, and yesterday i was in beast mode against him. up 10-4 in the last 2, he came back to 9 in the 3rd because i suddenly became nervous, but finished him 5 in the 4th :) Incredible rallies all along, I wished i had filmed it !

The next buddy, he's an even better player than guy above, and i almost never won against him. He used to play in amateur national 3 (french) division, but tbh he's not training a lot and is far from his best. Nevertheless i used to lose 0-3 even when he was in such form, yesterday i won the 1st set 11-5 in beast mode, lost the 2nd only 9 in a tight set. I think he got used to my serves in 3rd and 4th and i missed a few receives by rushing it. so lost it 9 and 9 again, which is a pity because it all depended on me, i had the initiative on nearly every point and won most long rallies, it was really some stupid serve or receive mistakes, not even difficult balls, but wanting too much to win, and failing to change a bit my tactics in 3rd and 4th (like serving more to his short FH as he got used to my long serves to his BH). It was only 1-3 but really i am getting very close to beating him. If I had filmed only the highlights one would have wondered how its possible I lost that match.

Played a few other strong players, lost but was very happy with my level of playing and my physical fitness. There is a tournament this Sunday and I hope to perform well in front of the cam ! If i play like I did today, hopefully i should win more matches than usual.