Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
I have changed from a OSP U2+(7ply all wood) to a Gambler Dragon Fire Touch (Innerforce like carbon blade). And i switched the backhand rubber from T05 to Dignics 05

1. The Gambler Blade has a bit lower throw than the OSP, works well with my forehand since i tend to go long alot with the OSP blade. Now i am landing more forehand loops to my surprise.

2. The Dignics is a lower throw and more grippier rubber than the T05. Dignics 05 combined with the Gambler blade is making my backhand shots miss or clip the white line alot. So its forcing me to be aware to open the face and spin the ball more to make it over the net. But its hard to kick my old old habit of just letting the T05 catapult the ball over by the rubber itself.

3. Finally i found a spot to serve my reverse pendulum serve into the short middle table. I mostly serve side topspin and i am getting relatively high returns which i can attack with my forehand.

Overall it was another good week of playing and trying to get stronger bit by bit. :)

Oldschoolpenholder has been ducking me for the past week...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yes i REALLY need to work on my serves. my serve is really the weakness #1 in my game. only my BH serve is half decent. so you definitely got a huge point here.

Today i tried to think about this : ""But you need to have recovered into place as the ball bounces on the opponent's side."

First time I tried to pay attention to that. It actually did help quite a bit, thank you very much for that advice. Even after my very average serves, it helped me to get ready more quickly, alas still too often not ready to move much after that - feet totally stuck... but its definitely encouraging and helping me to find a better rhythm.

I have a really bad cold at the moment so at home doing nothing so bored af. Why Do you think your serves is your weakness? Do you train it? Almost the easiest thing to train since you can so it alone.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
@Lula

1) i don't trade as often as I should, and the time i've devoted to training serves during my (too long) career is way too little compared to the rest, that does a lot to explain the situation

2) even if I do train serves, i think i don't do it properly. Repeating a bad motion again and again is counter-productive

3) i did take several coaching lessons focused on serving only, but the result has been pretty little so far... i tend to forget the right sensations. i get confused about the different advices.

----
4) Apart from that, I think i have to accept my serves are currently not good and learn to do with it and get back quickly in position anyway. That also i don't do it enough, because i ABSOLUTELY want my serve to be spinnier and focus too much on that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
@Lula

1) i don't trade as often as I should, and the time i've devoted to training serves during my (too long) career is way too little compared to the rest, that does a lot to explain the situation

2) even if I do train serves, i think i don't do it properly. Repeating a bad motion again and again is counter-productive

3) i did take several coaching lessons focused on serving only, but the result has been pretty little so far... i tend to forget the right sensations. i get confused about the different advices.

----
4) Apart from that, I think i have to accept my serves are currently not good and learn to do with it and get back quickly in position anyway. That also i don't do it enough, because i ABSOLUTELY want my serve to be spinnier and focus too much on that.

Okey i see. Maybe you could try to Do just Do 10-15 minuter after practice. Something Will take you a long way compared to nothing.

I agree with the last thing you Said. There are much more about a serve than the spin. Hard to get good spin with this ball. If the serve suits your game and you get a return that suits you then you are doing well with the serves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
How are you all ? :) I am back from the dead. I just came back from my civil service which i did this summer. Now I am eager to dive back into training and playing league!

Today we play against the group leader in the second Division. Ah we got promoted btw :)

I think I wont record it tho, as i get extra nervous while filming, today is full focus mode !

Cheers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Had my first league single match in my life :D. I'm slightly bald person on the front in dark shirt. Representing 3rd team (Team C) of my club :). I'm in middle of losing some weight here, so my footwork is a bit slow. Lost that set 17-19 :/, very close match. In the end I won 3:1. Using my new blade : Stiga Azalea Offensive with 2 Rakza 7's on both sides. Perfect backhand rubber, but my forehand still needs a lot of work :(.

If any of you'd like to comment (if there is anything to comment at all), please do :). Any bit of critisism will help me improve :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I currently live in Bytom, in Silesia. I drive to Gliwice to train and play for the club.

Ah nice part of the country. I just spent a week hiking in the mountains close to Klodzko. Beautiful place!

Sorry for the off topic. The other gentlemen will for sure provide you better advice on your matches.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Had my first league single match in my life :D. I'm slightly bald person on the front in dark shirt. Representing 3rd team (Team C) of my club :). I'm in middle of losing some weight here, so my footwork is a bit slow. Lost that set 17-19 :/, very close match. In the end I won 3:1. Using my new blade : Stiga Azalea Offensive with 2 Rakza 7's on both sides. Perfect backhand rubber, but my forehand still needs a lot of work :(.

If any of you'd like to comment (if there is anything to comment at all), please do :). Any bit of critisism will help me improve :D

It is late here and need to sleep so i just watched a little bit. I think you Will improve alot if you Do easy drills were you practice the basic strokes and also drills were you work on the footwork.

I also think tactically at your level learning to Do topspin or sidetopspin or Maybe disguised Nospin when servering Will give you good third balls to work with. Especially if you serve short.

Good luck!

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says what [IMG]
Hey, I'm back for my obligatory annual update. :rolleyes:

Hit up the usual joint probably one last more time with my usual partner. Wasn't expecting anything, so didn't set up to film. It's been a year since we last hit.

Was something like physical warmup then drives and serves for an hour or so, then we played some mock points. Subject of practice for today was "keeping your weight low and forward after the first movement".

Started off pretty bad as you'd expect, but we could keep a sensible rally going by the end of it. Would have got some nice footage to really see if the focus on body balance was effective enough, but of course I didn't film. It sure felt like it helped. Before I thought I primarily had issues with seeing the ball or something, but I'm starting to realize that it has more to do with me shooting myself in the foot from the get-go and being unable to move effectively due to my body positioning. It doesn't even feel right, let alone work.

This is probably what they mean with "good players keep the weight on the balls of their feet". Everyone knows you should do it, but I think I'll still need maybe 100, 200 hours in to start really making it routine. I think it's a thing of habit too: it's not like I've gotten noticeably physically more conditioned or anything, but it feels easier to keep a better stance the more I do it. Just a thing of not being lazy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I played a tournament today which used the Yasaka 3* "cell free". Omg this must be the crappiest ball on the planet. I take back every bad word that I've ever raised against the BTY G40+ or DF V40+. The ball was so extremely unpredictable and the bounce was a whole lot "lower" than a normal ball like the Stiga Perform. I think we also managed to break 2 or 3 balls in our pool of 4 players.

(Not totally unhappy though as I managed to beat a guy which had almost a ranking 400 higher than mine but that probably comes down to him also being super uncomfortable with the ball)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Got my pawz on a sheet of Tibhar MX-K the rubber designed for the Korean market.

Easier to open topspin than I thought. Got power. I used 47 degree, there is a 52 degree version for the BANGERS. Will know more after Monday when I can get a proper hit with Scoobie Doo Tsos who is 2100+ when not injured.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
After 5 years, I bid goodbye to my first ever TT robot (Robopong 540) and a collection net. I sold it to a church friend for 1/4 of its original price, despite them being in very good condition. While I am very happy that they will be put to good use by the friend and his son, whom was recently quite interested in table tennis, I also felt a bit sad as I did spend alot of them with them before getting my Amicus.
I had a hit with my church friend and his son at my place which does not have alot of room, but I could tell they are genuinely very interested to play tt. It is very satisfying to see them filled with joy, especially when playing tt. I don't think money can give me the same level of satisfaction.

TT.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I’ve been having some health problems recently that made me go lightheaded and dizzy during the match, but slowly I’m getting back in form. I switched from Donic Barracuda to Rakza 7 for the new season, and to be honest, I don’t feel much difference. Rakza 7 is slightly slower and a bit lower throw, but the playing characteristics are very similar to Barracuda. Is it supposed to be like that or am I still not using it to full potential? I also noticed a slight increase in the spin on backspin shots but on top spin shots Barracuda was spinnier.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I'm rediscovering a few forgotten techniques.

I've been trading too much my BH and footwork in recent times, and there are a few things that I have not been working on at all.

- For example FH counterloop. Simple drill, partner serves short, I push long to FH, comes a FH loop drive, and I should counterloop with FH.

With the lack of training i took the bad habit of hitting that ball instead of spinning it, and had the timing totally wrong. Its getting much better and I try to repeat the drill often to get it ingrained.

- pushes and receives: forgot the simple trick to contact the ball on the side of the racket and not the middle, to get (much) more spin and quality shots. Rather easy to adjust, and it makes quickly a big difference !

Also retraining my brain to get back in position after a serve or push before the BOUNCE on the opposite side of the table. Else i really got the rhythm wrong. I am making the effort and sensing its making a huge change. Before, especially on serves I would try to look directly to the opponents racket, but somehow my body would then get back in position more slowly. The second bounce comes before the ball is near the opponent's racket, so i guess I'm putting automatically on my body more awareness. It helps giving more time to react and adjust my position.

My new coach doesn't give me many technical advices naturally - i often have to ask him. But he's really giving tough balls all the time so there is no way to have some hope of scoring a point if I don't fix all those basic -and less- basic things. I guess it forces me to find ways to get better.