Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
After 4 or 5 months recuperation, will go to the club tonight to test my shoulder/arm. Not 100% but am at 90%.

Will 'strap my right upper arm to my body and just use forearm, core and legs' and see how it goes.

Missed TT for so long, gained some of the weight back that i've lost lol

wish me luck!

Reactions: JeffM and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Was thinking of you when I played this match.

Watching this match made me super uncomfortable. I usually enjoy playing against odd rubber, but trying to figure out what was happening to the ball at various times was rough.

The point starting at 2:51 was the most amazing thing that I imagine could happen when you don't follow through! You handled him well

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Watching this match made me super uncomfortable. I usually enjoy playing against odd rubber, but trying to figure out what was happening to the ball at various times was rough.

The point starting at 2:51 was the most amazing thing that I imagine could happen when you don't follow through! You handled him well

When someone is actively counterhitting topspin with the pips, it is sometimes light topspin you get back (not light backspin) so it can be pretty confusing. I am kinda lucky that he doesn't have a very high blocking spin level yet but if he added a consistent chop block to his repertoire, he could become very dangerous fast. Its just that we have pips players all over my club (including him), so he doesn't have the shock value to me that he would have against someone not in my club who wouldn't know what to do with the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Our local news did a story about our club. Kinda fun.

I'm Steve in here BTW:

Side note:

NL:
I certainly can see the similarities in that guy's style. I like that he will look to attack backspin with his LPs if he sees it. Kinda surprised he serves with his LPs as much as he does. I have to use that as a rare changeup other wise my opponents will get use to it knowing they can easily attack that ball. Think he could possibly try holding his blade below the table bringing it up before contact. IDK. It's something I'm experimenting with as I want to try to hide which side i'm serving with as long as possible.

Old school penholder:
Great advise. I think I'll just play for fun. Play the style I enjoy the most & try to maximize it as much as I can.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Our local news did a story about our club. Kinda fun.

I'm Steve in here BTW:

Side note:

NL:
I certainly can see the similarities in that guy's style. I like that he will look to attack backspin with his LPs if he sees it. Kinda surprised he serves with his LPs as much as he does. I have to use that as a rare changeup other wise my opponents will get use to it knowing they can easily attack that ball. Think he could possibly try holding his blade below the table bringing it up before contact. IDK. It's something I'm experimenting with as I want to try to hide which side i'm serving with as long as possible.

Old school penholder:
Great advise. I think I'll just play for fun. Play the style I enjoy the most & try to maximize it as much as I can.

The biggest thing that changed my game and which I think might help you is getting the concept of "whip" in your strokes. I define whip generally (for people who are not very familiar with it) as the concept of dragging/pulling the racket into the ball before the backswing is ended so that your stroke feels more like a whip/wave than like you are pushing your racket into the ball from a still position. Circular/elliptical motions for your stroke and recovery can help with the concept of whip.

I don't get the feeling of whip when I see you hitting the ball. I get the feeling when I see Daniel hitting the ball, for example, though it could be better. Your hitting partner is laboring too much with his core and upper body and could be helped by a good dose of whip.

This is the warmup for a match that was cancelled. In addition to seeing my usual patented light sidespin forehand, you can see both players getting good whip and racket head acceleration by beginning their forward swings before the backswing has ended while having relatively relaxed wrists and forearms.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Those are some great videos and I like the insight of further defining or explain whip.

Yeah Daniel is the most technically sound. He has received professional coaching and is going off the top of my head 2050 USATT. In watching that video I could see the difference. Although my interview the partner and I were trying to just keep it on table as we were talking where as Daniel & Mark were just hitting free. None the less, I feel what you are saying.

Tell you what. i will get some video (because I've settled on inverted/Long combination) of my forehand loop.

Off the table, I feel I get more spin. But I typically play really close to the table where I play more of angles. And from there I think I tend to counter drive more which seems to be able to more easily place the ball. I would like to be able to loop better or achieve just better spin for consistency close to the table as well.

I will get some footage this week at club and submit it here for analysis & some online coaching for anybody willing.... It's the best I can do seeing there isn't a coach near by at all in the middle of Nebraska.

Post Edit here: So it just dawned on my that if part of the whip is to pull the arm back & down creating the start of the momentum to whip it forward, like you're dragging it, then I have to stop putting my arm back ahead of time awaiting the forehand. That's very common for me. It's like i'm in the FH back-swing waiting to swing forward.

1, it could get me into trouble. What if they play to my BH? 2, yeah no whip mechanic that way. I think i need to focus on the ready position until they hit it, see where the ball is going then execute the stroke.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
Took some more video today. A lot of school staff people walked past the camera, so in the interest of their privacy, and because nothing can really even change in one day, I won't post it.

I thought I was somewhat low enough, but I was just tired and feeling like my legs were bent and I was low. Reality differs from that feeling, according to the video.

I contact the ball around abdomen height, and I wager you'd want more around shoulder or chest height. I kind of understand what NL said when he said that I'm imagining my footwork issues. My footwork is relatively fine compared to the stroke that I set up to do after the footwork. That's the real issue here.

Gonna need to do a LOT of static drills to really get the strokes right...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Post Edit here: So it just dawned on my that if part of the whip is to pull the arm back & down creating the start of the momentum to whip it forward, like you're dragging it, then I have to stop putting my arm back ahead of time awaiting the forehand. That's very common for me. It's like i'm in the FH back-swing waiting to swing forward.

1, it could get me into trouble. What if they play to my BH? 2, yeah no whip mechanic that way. I think i need to focus on the ready position until they hit it, see where the ball is going then execute the stroke.

Not necessarily down (back yes, down, maybe...), but you hit on the major point why I said you lack whip. There are ways of getting whip from an early backswing (you can start the whip from anywhere as long as you lag the backswing vs the forward swing even from the still position) but it is not optimal. That said, it is important for advanced stroke timing as you always need backup. If you get the general concept and incorporate it into all your strokes, then you will see a significant jump in ball quality.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
About last night...

Went to hit after a 3-5 months break ... was babying my shoulder/rotator cuff ... at 52, maybe my body is starting to tell me something ... doesn't help that i had bad form of only arm swing and not engaging core and legs on forehands

Saw my arch nemesis K., a reminder to the CCers, K converted to SH after years of PH, probably 2 yrs as a SH ... he mainly works on playing defensive but can go on the offensive when he wants to depending on his partner ... generally plays defensive vs me ... I’ve not won a match… we have close games … move him side to side but lack consistency … when my game is “on” I literally and figuratively push him to his limits … I believe he likes playing me for that reason … No video.

As expected from a long enough break, my timing was way off - missed many of my punches down the line, one of my staple tactics... lost my rocket serves cross-court and down the line ... as he is defensive,I learned I had to serve short to him more … got many of them – was surprised …FH loop felt weird as i tried the shortened swing Carl showed me, FH smashes were bad … lost my touch but was surprised that I had 2 sweet shots deep,fast and angled pushes which caught K flat-footed …

Despite all that, lost 3 straight but at -8, -3,-12 ... surprised at results of 1st and 3rd games, expected to lose under 5 given the layoff

Sat down and waited for next on the table ... ends up it was K again... this time, i don't recall the scores, but mostly losses at 5 or less

My goal for the night was to test my arm and see how i would feel afterwards ... today it doesn't seem to hurt, last night on some wild old long stroke loops from "muscle memory" i felt discomfort.

[Begin John Wick voice]

I’m thinking I’m back.
<o:p </o
[/voice]
<o:p </o
Busy rest of week, and aiming to go back next Monday and perhaps Thursday ~2 hrs each … scale down from my 3 nights a week of~3 hrs before my recuperation

Last edited: