Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
Hi Suga, thanks for the advice. Can I confirm, in order to remove the residue glue on the blade, I put a little bit of oil (baby oil?) on the blade, and let it dry, then use the backside of an old rubber to rub them off?
Use nail polish remover or acetone! Do NOT put baby oil NO DON'T on the wooden blade!!!

Use a cloth or toothbrush to rub with acetone/NPR to loosen and rub off the glue residue

This user has no status.
Why is a cracked ball always a let? There is a amendment by the rules committee to state that a cracked ball isn't always a let. Certain cases where a ball is hit off the side of a racket, this should not be called a let. This is up to the umpire on the table to make a decision. I was watching many videos and umpires still calls it as a let. Do you think umpires just don't want to get caught in the middle of a ensuing argument? If the rule is there, it should be enforced. :mad:

Assuming the ball is cracked (for no obvious reason) and therefore I make an easy mistake, for example because the ball did not really jump off from my side of the table being unreachable for me. Is that a let? According to which rule?

I have found:
2.9.1 The rally shall be a let:
2.9.1.3 if failure to make a service or a return or otherwise to comply with theLaws is due to a disturbance outside the control of the player;

2.9.2 Play may be interrupted
2.9.2.4 because the conditions of play are disturbed in a way which could affectthe outcome of the rally.

So if I notice that the ball is cracked during a point this should either be a let or the play should be interrupted, is that correct?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Use nail polish remover or acetone! Do NOT put baby oil NO DON'T on the wooden blade!!!

Use a cloth or toothbrush to rub with acetone/NPR to loosen and rub off the glue residue

If the blade is sealed, which it should be, acetone may remove the blade sealer, it did on mine, had to reseal it, use vegetable oil, leave on a little bit, then snowball off the glue.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I'd like to use this post to personally thank a lot of the forum members who took the time to watch either of my two videos and offer advice. That's quite the time commitment to not only have to watch all those videos but to type out thoughts.

Putting yourself out there is always hard because when you video yourself you're often struck (at least I am) by how apparent your bad habits are that you just can't see while you're playing. That being said, if you're not afraid of some critique, boy can it pay off and last night at club it did. :D

Real quick. Almost forgot. Side note, was playing duel inverted last night. No Long Pips.

My goodness I was as hot as a pistol. No exaggeration when I say at least 3-4 different members said to me throughout the night "What are you doing so differently tonight? I've got to know."

First, the thank you(s) and then I'll get into what I was focusing on.

Nuke:
For pointing out that looping high ball chops can and are different from standard or more lower chops. This is something to practice or at least be aware of. During most of the night I was playing players who would I say "normal chop" and was on fire. Then at the end of the night there is this one server (honestly not a good server) who slams his backspin serve into the table and when it's coming to me, I swear the ball is still ascending and is high. The feel of looping this ball is simply different. I still did pretty good here but not quite at the same rate I was earlier in the night vs normal chops.

Fabian:

For honestly just affirming to me what I saw in the video that my stance & legs were poor. Just too flat footed. No foot movement. etc. Your comment really motivated me to change that. More on this in my hit last night. :)

Dr Echte:
Not only in the advice to me but helping remind me that while we (or I) can become self absorbed in our own game "I should do this more" "why do I do this here." etc... that guess what? Our opponents have flaws to. Don't forget to spend some time point-pointing their weaknesses. That will help you. I specifically noted how you mentioned Ben always misses his FH when he takes 2, 3 steps. And if I can block his FH loop back, he's never ready. When I went back to watch for this. Not only did I see that, but I noticed his FH loops always land in the same spot. Basically just to the right of the middle line. So I know the zone I have to be ready to either block or counter from. That's a huge, huge win.

I didn't get a chance to play Ben in singles last night. Was meaning to and based on my hitting with him, I should have because I think I would have fared really well but it just didn't happen. We're training partners and we got challenged to doubles a lot in the night. I did however beat another penholder in singles 3-1 that without these fundamental changes, I'm not sure I would have won in the past.

NextLevel:
Man you've always put in the time to check out my videos and offer feedback. Just really, really appreciate it. So among all the advice, I particularly liked how you said that you played for years in that you served heavy backspin, get a predictable return in a push and then loop. So I did that last night and wow it worked. In the past, I had sometimes lost some of the quality of my service backspin in trying to disguise it too much or focusing on after fake motion too much. This time I just focused on heavy backspin normal pendulum serves and got a lot of opponents throughout the night to put those in the net and if they didn't? I was ready to loop as many of the pushes or chops went long. The key thing for me was getting a predictable return and being good vs that one type of ball really worked for me. And much like you analyzed, I feel pretty confident vs slower backspin balls. If people wanted to chop all my serves and let me get that first loop opportunity, that'd be just fine by me.

So what I focused on last night:
It's amazing how just doing the things that enforce good fundamentals can have immediate impact. Granted i'll have to work on this because I found myself throughout the night at times falling back into bad habits. But I largely focused on getting low (doing my best Timo Boll impression) and keeping those feet moving. Doing a lot of shuffle or mini jump steps (I don't know what they're called) just before and more importantly after each shot. Not only do I think this gets my feet moving or more active, it more importantly keeps me from reaching. When I'm in position and in my wheelhouse, my percentage is much greater.

Outside of the footwork improvements, I dialed back my service game. Kept it much more compact. Less wind up. Served probably 85% pure heavy backspin with the other 15% of the time being either dead or maybe side/top every once in a while. What I found is that the various opponents I was playing all night would largely chop or push. And a lot of them mistakenly put those long. So I got a lot of work in on looping pure backspin all night. These balls after I loop them in added with their existing backspin coming to me gives them such a heavy, heavy ball a lot of their blocks would then go long off the table. I can't tell you how many times I played this point out last night. Really good players might have better touch to keep the push short or be able to flip or loop. I'll be ready when this happens but overall I say thank you if they want to simply chop the serve because it feels safe to them.

It's only 1 night in a long journey of reinforcing new habits and I still have things to work on. You'd think keeping a serve short & low would be easy but I still have some loose ones get away from me so I need to lower that percentage of serves that end up bad as they're asking for trouble. And if I don't consciously think before the point "okay get low. Keep your feet moving" it's easy for me to just stand there too upright or watch the point. But I'll get there. Just have to go from here.

Again thanks to this board. It makes me happy to be a part of this community with other people who love TT as much as I do and like a community, we're here to help each other out. Just really appreciate it. Thanks everybody.

Will try to video some more matches soon.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I'd like to use this post to personally thank a lot of the forum members who took the time to watch either of my two videos and offer advice. That's quite the time commitment to not only have to watch all those videos but to type out thoughts.

Putting yourself out there is always hard because when you video yourself you're often struck (at least I am) by how apparent your bad habits are that you just can't see while you're playing. That being said, if you're not afraid of some critique, boy can it pay off and last night at club it did. :D

Real quick. Almost forgot. Side note, was playing duel inverted last night. No Long Pips.

My goodness I was as hot as a pistol. No exaggeration when I say at least 3-4 different members said to me throughout the night "What are you doing so differently tonight? I've got to know."

First, the thank you(s) and then I'll get into what I was focusing on.

Nuke:
For pointing out that looping high ball chops can and are different from standard or more lower chops. This is something to practice or at least be aware of. During most of the night I was playing players who would I say "normal chop" and was on fire. Then at the end of the night there is this one server (honestly not a good server) who slams his backspin serve into the table and when it's coming to me, I swear the ball is still ascending and is high. The feel of looping this ball is simply different. I still did pretty good here but not quite at the same rate I was earlier in the night vs normal chops.

Fabian:

For honestly just affirming to me what I saw in the video that my stance & legs were poor. Just too flat footed. No foot movement. etc. Your comment really motivated me to change that. More on this in my hit last night. :)

Dr Echte:
Not only in the advice to me but helping remind me that while we (or I) can become self absorbed in our own game "I should do this more" "why do I do this here." etc... that guess what? Our opponents have flaws to. Don't forget to spend some time point-pointing their weaknesses. That will help you. I specifically noted how you mentioned Ben always misses his FH when he takes 2, 3 steps. And if I can block his FH loop back, he's never ready. When I went back to watch for this. Not only did I see that, but I noticed his FH loops always land in the same spot. Basically just to the right of the middle line. So I know the zone I have to be ready to either block or counter from. That's a huge, huge win.

I didn't get a chance to play Ben in singles last night. Was meaning to and based on my hitting with him, I should have because I think I would have fared really well but it just didn't happen. We're training partners and we got challenged to doubles a lot in the night. I did however beat another penholder in singles 3-1 that without these fundamental changes, I'm not sure I would have won in the past.

NextLevel:
Man you've always put in the time to check out my videos and offer feedback. Just really, really appreciate it. So among all the advice, I particularly liked how you said that you played for years in that you served heavy backspin, get a predictable return in a push and then loop. So I did that last night and wow it worked. In the past, I had sometimes lost some of the quality of my service backspin in trying to disguise it too much or focusing on after fake motion too much. This time I just focused on heavy backspin normal pendulum serves and got a lot of opponents throughout the night to put those in the net and if they didn't? I was ready to loop as many of the pushes or chops went long. The key thing for me was getting a predictable return and being good vs that one type of ball really worked for me. And much like you analyzed, I feel pretty confident vs slower backspin balls. If people wanted to chop all my serves and let me get that first loop opportunity, that'd be just fine by me.

So what I focused on last night:
It's amazing how just doing the things that enforce good fundamentals can have immediate impact. Granted i'll have to work on this because I found myself throughout the night at times falling back into bad habits. But I largely focused on getting low (doing my best Timo Boll impression) and keeping those feet moving. Doing a lot of shuffle or mini jump steps (I don't know what they're called) just before and more importantly after each shot. Not only do I think this gets my feet moving or more active, it more importantly keeps me from reaching. When I'm in position and in my wheelhouse, my percentage is much greater.

Outside of the footwork improvements, I dialed back my service game. Kept it much more compact. Less wind up. Served probably 85% pure heavy backspin with the other 15% of the time being either dead or maybe side/top every once in a while. What I found is that the various opponents I was playing all night would largely chop or push. And a lot of them mistakenly put those long. So I got a lot of work in on looping pure backspin all night. These balls after I loop them in added with their existing backspin coming to me gives them such a heavy, heavy ball a lot of their blocks would then go long off the table. I can't tell you how many times I played this point out last night. Really good players might have better touch to keep the push short or be able to flip or loop. I'll be ready when this happens but overall I say thank you if they want to simply chop the serve because it feels safe to them.

It's only 1 night in a long journey of reinforcing new habits and I still have things to work on. You'd think keeping a serve short & low would be easy but I still have some loose ones get away from me so I need to lower that percentage of serves that end up bad as they're asking for trouble. And if I don't consciously think before the point "okay get low. Keep your feet moving" it's easy for me to just stand there too upright or watch the point. But I'll get there. Just have to go from here.

Again thanks to this board. It makes me happy to be a part of this community with other people who love TT as much as I do and like a community, we're here to help each other out. Just really appreciate it. Thanks everybody.

Will try to video some more matches soon.

I have seen a lot of people play and I am not talking about technical play per se as so much as an understanding of what constitutes an effective game. I don't see any reason other than the quality of people you may regularly practice against that prevents you from being 2000 USATT. I am not kidding, you are a lefty and can loop on both your forehand and backhand side. What is holding you back is really that you haven't set up a disciplined strategy for introducing your loop first and then building fall backs when you cannot (fall backs are what you decide to do to stay in or win the point when your main strategy is not working). Your current game with standard set ups should get you to USATT 1800 - people don't tend to block opening loops and when they do, the follow up shot is usually a smash or a loop to end the point up to a certain level. Its when the blocks and counterattacks to the first loops are of high quality or people develop weapons to stop you from looping first that things get trickier, and this tends to happen around that 1900 level and above and makes getting to 2000 a lot of work as defense and counterlooping is just better. That said, blocking a heavy topspin opener is not easy and if you just changed your forehand shot to become a spin focused one and stop smashing, you would see a huge increase in consistency and more opportunities to just use the shot against all kinds of spins. Remember, the swing is largely the same, it is just the trajectory and contact point and size in response to the speed and incoming spin that changes.

You will be surprised how good a player has to be to block a shot with your level of topspin (I am going largely by the visible swing speed and torque in your stroke). I suspect that it will be a 2200 player who actually pushes long to you with confidence, most players will look for ways to disarm that play by just doing something other than giving you a long push.

The sooner that you realize that you can score points by looping slowly to people and actually letting them block the loops and then using those blocks to get up easier shots to place to other points on the table, the faster you will get better. Trying to hit the ball past people consistently only becomes necessary at the 2100+ level.

And no, serving short and tight is not easy. In fact, when you think you can do it, you learn that it is only tight up to a certain level, that a certain level of player will show you it has to be tighter.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hi Suga, thanks for the advice. Can I confirm, in order to remove the residue glue on the blade, I put a little bit of oil (baby oil?) on the blade, and let it dry, then use the backside of an old rubber to rub them off?

Anytime buddy,

as Loopadoop has already pointed out: if your blade is varnished there's no need to worry.
If not: you've got 99 problems but residue ain't one.
[Emoji6]
No matter if he's used wbg or rubber cement.
After you've removed the easy parts just pour a tiny drop on the residue spot, but only a drop and only on the resistant stains an try to not let it get soaked up by the wood.
Like Loopadoop said: it should be easy to form a ball of the residue and then remove it.

Reactions: JeffM and ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
A Like for a speedy recovery 42&bp!

--------

Played 2x last week. Nothing extraordinary to report. No video. Had fun hitting. No SH, just PH. Still working on the timing of meeting the ball earlier and taking off the bounce and still seem to be to hitting the ball late.

Last night, actually played a match with a friend/member. Only played him one other time ages ago, lost in 5 at deuce ages ago. Lately haven't played matches and still not used to the current blade on serves and volley.

Down 2-1 games, losing 4th game 9-3, I won it 13-11! my service return is still da sucky. Had 3 or so good slow top spin loops. Still rushing my shots. Lots of nice angle pushes side-to-side which set up many flat hit smash winners. The oldschool smasher in me was alive last night! Messed up some shots, when I should;ve all along worked my loop instead.

Had a lot of fun!

Saw PPH at the club as well as MH, an old friend from our old 1980's Chinatown firehouse club.

Going tonight to hit a bit, but will cut it short due to traditional new year's family dinner tonight. Happy Lunar New Year to any members that celebrate!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
What a cliffhanger! Tell us!!!

Doesn't mean it will work for anyone else. But it is basically similar to that grip I showed you when you came. I have figured out why it works on the backhand and I am trying to replicate it on the forehand to get a smaller but sharp forehand in cases where I just need to hit the ball down the line.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Man tonight sucked... My knee is fine again (hooray) but this whole ball changing is driving me nuts.

I can play with plastic balls against most opponents, it's not great but it's just the way it is.
Against some opponents however it's a total disaster, the ball just stops on the table , it loses all of its forward momentum, maybe it's our tables together with the ball, I don't know!

If there is a bit of underspin on the ball and it's a slow serve it just stops in the air and drops. This can't be because of the change in diameter or so, it's just super weird. Worst is the combination Donic table and DHS D40+... And then I played against short pips pusher so the balls were dead and just dropped all the time.

Is it because the balls are not as smooth as celluloid?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Must be frustrating to change from plastic to celluloid and back all the time.

If tables are very old, the ball can lose a lot of forward momentum, and make you mistime a lot if you didn't have time to get used to the venue. It can make it a hell of a lot more difficult to beat the home team :/ But then again that's true of many venues if you don't have time to warm up properly (bad lightning, slippery floor, "fast" room, "slow" room)

For floaty / light backspin balls with no pace dropping, I think it's a feature, not a bug :) Maybe it's more potent with plastic 40+ balls due to their weight, I haven't played with celluloid in forever. You can get a lot of (bat) edges and misses from your opponents with those shots, if you are good at varying them with heavy spin ones (true for dead-ish vs. heavy spin flips/openings as well).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Man tonight sucked... My knee is fine again (hooray) but this whole ball changing is driving me nuts.

I can play with plastic balls against most opponents, it's not great but it's just the way it is.
Against some opponents however it's a total disaster, the ball just stops on the table , it loses all of its forward momentum, maybe it's our tables together with the ball, I don't know!

If there is a bit of underspin on the ball and it's a slow serve it just stops in the air and drops. This can't be because of the change in diameter or so, it's just super weird. Worst is the combination Donic table and DHS D40+... And then I played against short pips pusher so the balls were dead and just dropped all the time.

Is it because the balls are not as smooth as celluloid?

You can't imagine how much i understand you. Only 1.5 more seasons until this bullcrap is over.

Glad your knee's better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I didn't play for a couple of weeks as I travelled out of the country. I got back and my gsme is like trash. My game was going down the tubes last year and I started taking anti inflammatories and was able to play again. I don't take them more than twice a week to avoid full dependency but I can see that I need them to recover well enough to play. It's a bit depressing to admit that.

But the 2 week layoff didn't help. Have been losing to players who haven't beaten me in years. Makes me want to practice again.

Also I got the new Nexy Arche to test. All I can say is that it is going to spark another round of EJing. It plays better with MX-S than any of my carbon stuff.

This user has no status.
I didn't play for a couple of weeks as I travelled out of the country. I got back and my gsme is like trash. My game was going down the tubes last year and I started taking anti inflammatories and was able to play again. I don't take them more than twice a week to avoid full dependency but I can see that I need them to recover well enough to play. It's a bit depressing to admit that.

But the 2 week layoff didn't help. Have been losing to players who haven't beaten me in years. Makes me want to practice again.

Also I got the new Nexy Arche to test. All I can say is that it is going to spark another round of EJing. It plays better with MX-S than any of my carbon stuff.

You just need to get back on the table for hit the ball for a couple of hours, and it will come back to you. As a fellow sufferer of constant inflammation, i feel ya. I take 3 celebrex a week, 4 if i feel a twinge in my back or hip areas. Lets hope for the best

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
Mmh I don't know wether I should stick to the True Carbon or go for an all wood blade again. Yesterday I tried out my old blade and the blocks were coming better, I also had more control in the pushes, but it is just so much easier to create power with the carbon :rolleyes: