Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
From the results it looks like William was playing at a legit 2100 level .. he beat two players 2000 + ... hopefully the ratings will reflect it soon .. congrats william !

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
First things first... NO TROPHY, NO MEDAL in NOTHING... no success there, but it certainly was one of the strongest tourney performances I have ever had, if not the strongest.

... but what the heck, this is the LA Freekin' Open where there is a 30 strong local contingent who drop 4 levels of rating points prior to the tourney so they can be 3 levels better than the top players in the division... so they can win prize money that is 2-4 times better than the other LA tourneys.

These guys do this regularly and it is a big game of sport to them. Some do it for singles, many do it for doubles.

There is no way you are going to compete on an equal level in those conditions. You would need to play so out of your mind to even lose 2-3 to those types.

Still, you be realistic and compete your best, support your friends to the best of your abilities, and do your best to have a royal blast. I did all that.

What I would look for in determining if I had a strong tourney? I would ask a few questions.

- Did I win vs approx. equal players with a high percentage?

- Did I give no chance to lower rated players?

- Did I play better in close scores?

- In a huge tourney, did I perform way better than expected? Was I able to compete under pressure?

- Did I pressure or win better players?

- Did I win my division if there are no ringers or sandbaggers?

- Was I able to make in game adjustments?

- Did I play better opponents I have previously lost to significantly better?

- Was I intuitive and/or efficient?

- Did I make less errors?

I didn't give any chance to lower players and I won vs a much higher player (2095 rated). The win vs Tran (2195), let's not get too happy about it, he had a very sore ankle.

The win vs the 2095 was a good match for me. I received his serve well enough, and after a few misses, he passed on attacking. I say THANK YOU when that happens and attacked away with spin or fast loops. This is my first tourney using the Nexy Batos 92 gram (last tourney was an 84 gram model)

I think the ratings will come out and Der_Echte gets adjusted to 2030s range and final rating in mid 2050s. I guess I can start charging an additional $5 an hour for lessons now that I am 2000 haha. Who believes that noise? I care about helping adults see/know/grow stuff, not looking flashy to attract kid's parents.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Pics... My Korea Foreign TTC friend Greg Bartz made it to finals of O40 division (Defeated B. Reed and others) only to face WR#2 of O40 (2700+ rated). AKUL advanced in his divisions, his Mom to - she gunna be 1800+, Scoobie-Doo Tsos recovered from back injury a portion and went 7W 2L in the tourney.

Akul family 1.jpg

William Greg 1.jpg

Greg 2.jpg

Group1.jpg

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Oh, my other Kore Foreign TTC friend Ming Curran (not in the pics) made it to the finals of the U4500 doubles to lose in 5 sets. That team defeated 2 of the ringer/sandbagging teams. One of that team was rated in 2000 range, but is a near 2400 level player... that guy lost to a better sandbagger in the U2050 final, and that sandbagger Ming faced EASILY won the O2250 event.

This user has no status.
i am back after a 8 months hiatus due to physical and financial situations. I am playing 1 to 2 times per week for the past 3 weeks depending on how much attitude my wife gives me. I have switched to a Gambler Fire Dragon Touch Carbon blade because i feel as i a get older i should not try to muscle everything and let the blade do more of the work. It was easy to adjust the new setup since its like a innerforce blade and still retains a lot of the wood feel with a carbon kick. i have decided to do as much as my body can do without hurting my back and playing shoulder. So i am taking things slowly, trying to get as much touch/feel and being smart as not to overwork myself. At least i can still beat Oldschoolpenholder....lol

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
i am back after a 8 months hiatus due to physical and financial situations. I am playing 1 to 2 times per week for the past 3 weeks depending on how much attitude my wife gives me. I have switched to a Gambler Fire Dragon Touch Carbon blade because i feel as i a get older i should not try to muscle everything and let the blade do more of the work. It was easy to adjust the new setup since its like a innerforce blade and still retains a lot of the wood feel with a carbon kick. i have decided to do as much as my body can do without hurting my back and playing shoulder. So i am taking things slowly, trying to get as much touch/feel and being smart as not to overwork myself. At least i can still beat Oldschoolpenholder....lol

Be careful, OSPH may start expecting you to spot him points.

This post makes me realize how good my wife was to me. She never stopped me from playing; always was happy for me to come home in a good mood after playing; and didn't seem to worry on those nights when I got in at 2am after playing.

Now I have to go home to cook for the kiddo.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Be careful, OSPH may start expecting you to spot him points.

This post makes me realize how good my wife was to me. She never stopped me from playing; always was happy for me to come home in a good mood after playing; and didn't seem to worry on those nights when I got in at 2am after playing.

Now I have to go home to cook for the kiddo.

Ur kiddo can borrow some of my DNA and love to cook/bake for YOU and herself. So many stuff to make... I am glad I loved cooking and baking at an early age.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ur kiddo can borrow some of my DNA and love to cook/bake for YOU and herself. So many stuff to make... I am glad I loved cooking and baking at an early age.

The truth is, my kid spent a lot of time taking care of mom while my wife was sick. I don't want my kid to feel she has to do that for her pop as well. It is not whether she can or not. I just don't want that. Me being around is good for both of us. Table tennis can happen when it is okay for it to happen.

And my sister has gotten enough better that I can do a little training with her and schedule a family dinner to go with a little TT. My sister has a table in her home. :)

It is not the same thing as the goon squad adventures, and causing a riot at a club. But....I take what I can get. And I am good with things. Next year....college. :)

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
The truth is, my kid spent a lot of time taking care of mom while my wife was sick. I don't want my kid to feel she has to do that for her pop as well. It is not whether she can or not. I just don't want that. Me being around is good for both of us. Table tennis can happen when it is okay for it to happen.

And my sister has gotten enough better that I can do a little training with her and schedule a family dinner to go with a little TT. My sister has a table in her home. :)

It is not the same thing as the goon squad adventures, and causing a riot at a club. But....I take what I can get. And I am good with things. Next year....college. :)

Hopefully we can get a meetup with Carl and the Squad next year. Look forward to it.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hopefully we can get a meetup with Carl and the Squad next year. Look forward to it.

These days I have carved out a Saturday day off. Amazing. A day off. One day we will get William over here from the left coast, Laj to come up from Philly to NYC and have a full blown Friday, Saturday goon squad ruckus. I can house one of them at my home and the other can stay at UpSideDownGranny's. William stayed there once and my mom absolutely loved him. :)

He is a charmer despite the intimidating 2072 rating. :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
These days I have carved out a Saturday day off. Amazing. A day off. One day we will get William over here from the left coast, Laj to come up from Philly to NYC and have a full blown Friday, Saturday goon squad ruckus. I can house one of them at my home and the other can stay at UpSideDownGranny's. William stayed there once and my mom absolutely loved him. :)

He is a charmer despite the intimidating 2072 rating. :)

It helped that at the time, I was driving a shiny black Audi with leather heated seats and could talk on way to grocery mart.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Starting to reconstruct my FH. Again. My coach told me 40 years ago already to shorten it up. I did and tried hard to go further, but the development of the game the last few decades has made the need to do so even more urgent.

So, a closer step into the ball, earlier forearm snap (preferrably without hitting myself in the head; need to decelerate better too), while retaining low stance and keeping weight shift intact. As a result, I have no FH worth mentioning anymore. Might as well put up an "under construction" warning sign over there...

says regularly shitposting
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019
Finally had a change to play with my new setup. Interestingly enough H3N was exactly what I was looking for in a rubber. Finally learned what spin sensitive means too, the hard way. Obviously do not have the footwork/positioning for that good looping but I'll learn.

The only thing that baffles me is that my backhand chops are too high most of the time and I get easily punished for that. Was kind of expecting them to be ending up in the net more, not too high.

Kind of like the h3n as it is right now, don't how its gonna be when the factory booster runs out.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I’m trying also to shorten it, it’s difficult as well ! But I’ll keep trying. Multiball is perhaps the best way to work on it

I was thinking about hitting against a robot for a few stretches to engrain something different. That might help.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
An update on my shakehand journey.
Today I trained with my formal coach.
He seemed to be pleasantly surprised by my shakehand level, given it is our first lesson since the switch.
We trained mostly forehand.
The best thing is, no finger pain after the session!

Here is a short highlight of our session.
As always, feedback / comment welcome.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
with mutiball
the drill I was doing today was BH - middle - BH -FH , and BH many (or little) times and then suddenly FH, both at high speed
Its fun, it gave me a glimpse of whats its like to play like a pro...
the exercise is not forgiving, its absolutely not a good idea to put the right foot behind the right foot. You'd end up playing and going back at the same time. One must achieve very good stability first on BH side, using the abs, then quick to react on FH side.

Reactions: yoass