Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
So i thought id open up a thread where we can talk about our everyday tabletennis.
This goes as follows :)

Today i hit the club at 18:15 or 6:15 PM as you would call it ;). From 6:15 to 7:45 the kiddys have their training and I help coaching them, as good as i can :).
At 7:45 the grown up training starts, well its not rly a training more like playing with each other as we have no coach or good players.

Anyways i start hitting with my trainingspartner first some standart drills like counter on counter and then topspin on block for FH and BH. After that some third ball attacks on long backspin pushes. Today i really felt the training i have been doing over the last weeks, i have accustomed myself with the new bat and I can keep the new grip up for longer :)

Then we did down the line topspins on block and inside out FH from the BH corner with some footwork exercises.

Ah jea i almost forgot i finally got a decent forehandflick, a little note of my trainings partner helped me and it made Click :D It was such an easy shot all along and i have been over thinking it way too much. So that made me happy for today!

For the last 30 minutes i played two matches. One against a sort of chopper, blocker. For the first time in along time my fh ingame felt very natural and i could attack the third balls and long balls! Yay! Btw NL post on the mind of an attacker helped me big deal! I won in three straight games as my opponent couldnt block my topspins on the table.

The last game i played against a LP player who also likes to attack. He switched to LP recently and has gotten better with them. At first i was leading by a great deal and thought i migth try out some stuff, typicaly i overestimated myself and lost in the end. However we only played one game as we had to leave the club before 10 PM. Otheriwse the janitor will get tantrums.

I also wanted to play with a new girl who joined today. She plays very well and i will try to get a match with her next time :)

I took the tram home and made myself some delicious croque monsieurs :)

So how was your tabletennis day? I am eager to know :)

Cheers

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Today for me is unlikely to involve any actual table tennis. That said, I strongly recommend cherry juice to people who want to recover from a day of TT. It's done wonders for how my body feels. Today, I am likely to go see X-Men Apocalypse instead of play.

Yesterday, I Went to the club to hit and continue to work on my forehand rebuild. During the tournament, my new forehand broke down and went back to my old forehand. So I hit with a couple of friends who were lower rated to try to build out my new forehand. I have been testing out a Timo Boll T5000 in order to see whether a faster blade would help me play a little bit more easily given my shoulder issues - the blade seems a bit too fast and I ordered an Xiom Extreme S to try out. I really like the Amultart, but I don't like spending that kind of money on blades. We'll see...

Well, here is my hit and match with one of the lower rated friends. In the first game, I just decide to avoid using my serves and attack strokes and to mostly rally. In the second and third games, I up the level slightly by putting the ball mostly to his elbow and sometimes going wide after pinning him down.

Actually my practice buddy called me - off to the club....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Today for me is unlikely to involve any actual table tennis. That said, I strongly recommend cherry juice to people who want to recover from a day of TT. It's done wonders for how my body feels. Today, I am likely to go see X-Men Apocalypse instead of play.

Yesterday, I Went to the club to hit and continue to work on my forehand rebuild. During the tournament, my new forehand broke down and went back to my old forehand. So I hit with a couple of friends who were lower rated to try to build out my new forehand. I have been testing out a Timo Boll T5000 in order to see whether a faster blade would help me play a little bit more easily given my shoulder issues - the blade seems a bit too fast and I ordered an Xiom Extreme S to try out. I really like the Amultart, but I don't like spending that kind of money on blades. We'll see...

Well, here is my hit and match with one of the lower rated friends. In the first game, I just decide to avoid using my serves and attack strokes and to mostly rally. In the second and third games, I up the level slightly by putting the ball mostly to his elbow and sometimes going wide after pinning him down.

Actually my practice buddy called me - off to the club....

You gotta stay true :) Hf!

So whats your new emphasis on the fh loop? I quickly watched into the video and noticed a higher finishing postion of the racket maybe?

Reactions: GAOdp and NextLevel
My plans were to play TT after work today. My gym bag with TT equipment was in my car.

I worked late as I had many tasks that need attention. So no TT tonight.

So, I'll practice tonight at home.

I was going to play in a weekend tournament (Virginia State match) only I've been busy at work and didn't register.

Chuck

Reactions: GAOdp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Today I went to my club around 5:30 pm. I hit a bit, played only two matches. One of which I won vs a player I usually struggle pretty bad with but have beaten a couple times in the past. The second of which I lost (to a player I've never beaten). I then spent the rest of the club time (until 9:45pm) talking to people about table tennis.

I got some advice from my coach about serves that people were suggesting to me in my thread which I'll share soon over there. but mostly I'm trying not to overplay with a tournament coming up this saturday. Tomorrow is the drive (only 3.5 hours woo, closest tourney yet!)

Also Boogar, I'm very jealous that your forehand flick is working out for you. It's one of my worst strokes :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So I decided to practice yesterday. Today is the day I am taking off. I got to the club and my practice partner was playing matches. So I hit with another guy on the next table. This other guy has incredible arm acceleration but mostly lacks ball reading experience - I would argue that his strokes are better than mine in some ways and that his athleticism makes his top level potential better than mine. He is currently nominally 1300. I didn't get any video of my practice with him ( we spent about 1 to 1.5 hours hitting to each other, mostly backhands, then some forehands then some third ball with me as server, then a match I won 3-0, but which was much tighter than the first time I played him when I largely destroyed him). I would estimate his current level at 1700 but he needs to play more pips players, as it was a pip player he lost to at the last state tournament. I am testing a T5000 so hitting with him was helpful as it let me realize the kind of stroke I needed to make the blade work. I want to go to a faster blade so even if not for the T5000 ultimately, the information will be helpful.

I then hit with my practice partner for about 45 mins. I need to train him a little but this is what you need to do when you need a practice partner and can't find one. My ideal partner lives a little too far away. So I need someone who will be at the club often enough and who wants to improve. All I need for the time is just for the person to feed me specific drill balls.

So today, I try to get him to work on the trajectory of his serves (height, depth/bounce and spin). In general, I try to convince him that he doesn't serve low enough and he arguably doesn't serve backspin either looking at how all his serves travel in the video (maybe light side backspin). Then I do some forehand looping and flicking. And then he works on his backhand topspin vs topspin.

I have also decided that my matches against people in the club do nothing for my ego until I beat them in tournaments.

says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
Mar 2016
Ok, so yesterday about 2:30pm I hit in my garage with my robot starting with backhands for 30 minutes then random placement from the robot (forehand,backhand,long,short) for 30 minutes. After trying to shuffle about reacting to the random placement shots I was pretty worn out.I had the machine set on heavy topspin and high speed and with a robot you don't get many clues as to where the next shot is targeted when it is on random as you can with a real player. You have to judge the angle of the throwing head so you get caught out a lot.I then practiced forehand and backhand blocks for 30 minutes then serves for 30 minutes trying to cool down and get my serves lower,more spin and shorter while also trying to make them more deceptive by keeping my racquet closer to my body similar to the video where he uses a broom handle to keep his elbow back. It is about 15 degrees warmer in my garage than outside so I get some additional conditioning in as I practice. I hope that the extra conditioning will help my stamina in the matches. I am about to go back out and do it again today till 5:30.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Did a lesson with Paul David. Very cool. He made me work hard. My legs felt like rubber after how hard he worked me. In the last two weeks I've done 2 lessons with Matthew Khan and 2 lessons with Paul David after not having done any in about a year. I decided I needed to treat myself. It is great fun to take lessons with either of those guys. They are both awesome coaches.

Then I hit after with a friend, then my sister, then my sister's friend. My sister's friend isn't bad. He has been getting a lot better. But he has no idea how to train. So it went like this: I feed the ball in, he loops, I block, he loops all over like he is trying to win the point. But his loops are not strong enough for him to hit through me so it is almost okay. We keep doing that for a while. Then I loop and he tries to counterloop. My loop has too much spin for him the ball goes way high. He loops all over, I block. Every so often I counterloop. If I do, the rally is over. Too much spin for him to get it back. He loops I block. Rally is okay because I can track the random placement. I loop, it never comes back and he never thought to try and block when I looped. And the ball just didn't come back. After about 10 min of that I suggest a serve and receive drill because I don't need to waste my time.

The serve and receive drill, we both got something out of it. And I did not feel bad when I looped and he couldn't get the ball on the table.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Love to read your stories! :)

Gratz @ Shuki for beating those players you struggeled with. The hint i got from my partner was to use more under arm snap. At first i only used the the wrist just like you did in the video, but just the under arm i so much better and easier. Even a flick down the line with reasonable pace is possible.

Kudos to you Gene. I know how tiring it is to play against the robot that thing is just not human! How is the weather over there? In switzerland its all rain at the moment, but strangely its still hot so almost jungle feeling here.

So today i played about one hour outdoors on the Münster Plattform, that's the plaza before the Münster (a big kathedral) in bern. berner-munster.jpg

768x340_pingpong_tisch_muenster_plattform_web.jpg

The first hour around 4 pm i played against a lady from our outdoor league. She is a total beginner and i taught her the basics. She even managed to do a pretty good backspin serve that rolled back on the plate.

After that my trainings partner showed up and we did some basic drills until the wind started to blow. We took a break and met again in the club at 7 pm.
There we played up to 9:30 pm. I had problems to concentrate myself on the game and had trouble reading spin. However i was happy that i still did all the drills.
I think to train when you dont feel like it at all is even more important than training in perfect condition. Doing things constantly is the key to success.

After that i went home and had some beers with my roomate and other friends :) gn8

Last edited:
Mar 2016
Those are beautiful pictures Boogar. Playing in the wind is a pain in the rear. Weather here in West Texas is 26.5 C but will be 37 C next week which is nearer the norm for this time of year. We have had a lot of rain this year with flash floods for the past week and finally got out of the drought conditions we have had for the last few years. Hopefully they will take us off water rationing so my water bill will go down.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I played today with my dad's neighbor, who I recently found out was about 1800 level in the 1980's. He hadn't played more than a few games a year since then though, and this was only our second time playing. I had absolutely zero touch today and could tell I had taken a week off for my vacation. I wasn't hitting with much spin and my backhand was very squirrely all day, so I'm gonna do a lot of shadow strokes and work on my feel for brushing the ball until I can keep my arm relaxed through my strokes. His skill is coming back remarkably fast though - he loops well and plays safe. But for a guy that's 63 and hasn't done much athletic in the last 20 years, he hits with a lot of power when the game calls for it. I'm very interested to see how his development goes, he has much better form than I do and when I do beat him (didn't at all today), it's because my athleticism and reaction time is on my side. Always an adventure!

Mar 2016
Good morning,
Yesterday I decreased my planned practice down to an hour rather than the planned two hours. I think that I have a tendency to over do my playing sometimes and I do not want to get my shoulder injured as I have in the past. I was plenty sore from the previous day. I did half an hour of random with the machine then 15 minutes of forehand backhand/backhand reversals then 15 minutes of service practice. The heat in my practice cave seemed pretty bad till I finished and realized I was playing with a sweatshirt over my regular shirt....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Good luck on your tournament shuki. Where is it? I heard Springfield mo has one that is pretty well attended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Yesterday I went to play at my uni's club. The highlight was that I used a new sheet oftenergy and it felt so much more livelier and spinier than my old sheet (which I used for the last8 months…). I had the privilege of having a club member to feed me backspinserves into my forehand and backhand while I have to loop them up with forehandand backhand. We then play out the point. After a while, I notice my arm feltlike it is dead, and I start having difficulty with the backhand loop off thebackspin. But then I adjusted by loosening my grip of the racket, and thathelped. Only problem was I developed a blister on my proximal phalanx of mythumb afterwards. So today I went to buy some sand paper (400, 800, 1200, 1500)for sanding it. Still not sure how much I should sand it but I did some sandinganyway. Now I am watching Joo's game against Jun in the Slovenia's open :p

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I caused trouble at the State Championships. I treated the match like a show and light like we were in league playing. I will not play like that again in a tourney again. I hope. I did not make the owner feel well doing that, so i will cut that out going forward.

Won U2000 and Open doubles. Doubt I will change the rating much. I doubt I will win next year if I am still U2000. The owner's son already has a strong record vs me in the last 10 league matches, by next year I will prolly be his water boy if I am still in these parts.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I caused trouble at the State Championships. I treated the match like a show and light like we were in league playing. I will not play like that again in a tourney again. I hope. I did not make the owner feel well doing that, so i will cut that out going forward.

Won U2000 and Open doubles. Doubt I will change the rating much. I doubt I will win next year if I am still U2000. The owner's son already has a strong record vs me in the last 10 league matches, by next year I will prolly be his water boy if I am still in these parts.

grats on the win especially playing like league play!