Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
I changed my blade to Viscaria . My blade was primorac carbon before . Today's training wasn't a succesful day with the new blade but I'm sure my game gonna be better and better .

View attachment 19083

You used Primorac Carbon also with G-1 on both sides? How they suit Viscaria? What did you feel with Viscaria in comparision to your Primorac Carbon?

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Today I returned to praticing, I had a month stop because I was studying to college tests. With less time now it's difficult to play with short pips so I've returned to my 729 Origin 45º on bh and changed to a more elastic and a bit heavier than my AVX BT777(this one is 87g), Primorac Off-(This one feels heavier than my BT 777, maybe because of the bigger head size). Well now I have to adapt again to inverted but I'm taking it very slow in BH as I don't want that my arm pain come back, so until I'll change the BH rubber I'll not force to much. Looking in the future to change to a control rubber on BH like Genius, Fastarc G-1, Rozena, Vega Pro/China like I've been advised here, chinese rubber on backhand doesn't really suit my game style, and besides I enjoy short pips on BH and solves some of my problems, forces me to pratice more consistently, otherwise I'll lose feel too quickly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Today I returned to praticing, I had a month stop because I was studying to college tests. With less time now it's difficult to play with short pips so I've returned to my 729 Origin 45º on bh and changed to a more elastic and a bit heavier than my AVX BT777(this one is 87g), Primorac Off-(This one feels heavier than my BT 777, maybe because of the bigger head size). Well now I have to adapt again to inverted but I'm taking it very slow in BH as I don't want that my arm pain come back, so until I'll change the BH rubber I'll not force to much. Looking in the future to change to a control rubber on BH like Genius, Fastarc G-1, Rozena, Vega Pro/China like I've been advised here, chinese rubber on backhand doesn't really suit my game style, and besides I enjoy short pips on BH and solves some of my problems, forces me to pratice more consistently, otherwise I'll lose feel too quickly.

It is good that you focus on school but i think maybe you could study better if you also take some break for exercise! :)

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
It is good that you focus on school but i think maybe you could study better if you also take some break for exercise! :)

Yeah you're right! But this is almost in the end, just one more subject remaining(need to have 3,5 or between 0 to 20 to conclude it) and besides TT I make a 30 minute workout every day to keep in shape, but now I have more time ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So I have finally accepted who I am. I am one of those players who likes blades that vibrate. Under 6mm in thickness, no need for carbon or arylate to reduce the vibration or enhance the speed. Going to end up getting embarrassed by the younger and faster players but that is entirely okay. Maybe if I could move, the equipment would be an afterthought. I have also started to embrace medium sponge so I don't have to swing as hard to get spin even if it reduces my max power as I struggle to play good shots consistently with harder rubbers.

Spin is dead but I have to live with spin. Sad.

Last edited:

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Next Level I read something great written by you on here earlier somewhere. About brushing and spin and arc.
I have been obsessed with arc for 2 or 3 years, this is why I keep going back to tenergy 05fx. I think i have been mistaking arc from the spring sponge for spin.
For 3 days I have been using Andro Hexer Grip, I think it might be a bit soft and it is a little too slow (Powergrip? at a later date), however I am getting a lot more balls on, similar to what you just said not quite as spinny and a tad slower.
Still spinny though when I spin and in some ways although slower perhaps more accurate driving.
It could be EJ euphoria but maybe I have also been barking up the wrong tree for years.
It is definately less reactive to incoming spin, maybe I am not good enough to use Tenergy?

It is not arcing as much and feels less spinny, but I think I am mistaken. Think it is spinny (maybe a bit less) but just not arcy?? So was my arcy tenergy slow loop ever really spinning as much as i thought?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It was a tough day - went to the tournament at a club about an hour away and played only one event. Just like last time, I lost to an underrated B player. Unlike last time, I was up 2-1, 10-8 and 2-2, 10-6. Lost 15-17 in the fifth.

Then I advance to the round of 16 and I play a guy, penholder with short pips forehand, medium pips backhand, likes to twiddle. I go down 0-2, playing the rating. Fight game 3 out and win at deuce. Win game 4 at 8, and go up 9-5 and 10-6 in the final game. Lost 11-13 in the 5th.

Can't complain I felt I played okay even if the results don't show it. My right knee was acting up so I almost quit after the first match (a 3-0 win), but decided to play on and just see how it felt - still feels like shit but I have to take care of it better.

I like my Korbel with C1, it makes my life easier. I just have to accept my level somewhat for what it is, but I can see certain things getting better as I play more and more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
You used Primorac Carbon also with G-1 on both sides? How they suit Viscaria? What did you feel with Viscaria in comparision to your Primorac Carbon?

Yes I had primorac carbon and It was a good blade but my coach told me I can control the ball better with viscaria and in my first session with viscaria it seemed good in control and block for me and for a spinnier ball I had G1 on both sides with effective strokes but I should play more to tell you exactly what it feels . I just have played once with viscaria

Reactions: eduardo1995filipe
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
That was too bad. You proably Will find a new coach! I think one good thingto take from this is to appreciate What you have. Never know when stuff Will be gone. Also nice for the coach and better learning possibilties if you really appreciate it. Ad a part time coach i feel that players sometime takeyou for granted which is No fun for me and i think they could get more from the trainings if they dis not

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
That was too bad. You proably Will find a new coach! I think one good thingto take from this is to appreciate What you have. Never know when stuff Will be gone. Also nice for the coach and better learning possibilties if you really appreciate it. Ad a part time coach i feel that players sometime takeyou for granted which is No fun for me and i think they could get more from the trainings if they dis not

yeah Life is this ,Good and bad moments , Maybe New coach will bring a better way to show my abilities . Thnks for your reply

Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Finally tried my first coach session after 3 years.
We worked mainly on the forehand, trying to shorten my stroke, a bit on footwork to increase the power.
Then some practice trying to go down the line.
Then finish with some serve practice, going for the corners, and the importance of having a strong 3rd ball.

Here's a little clip.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Just keep your head down and keep working with the coach ... really excited for you !
Finally tried my first coach session after 3 years.
We worked mainly on the forehand, trying to shorten my stroke, a bit on footwork to increase the power.
Then some practice trying to go down the line.
Then finish with some serve practice, going for the corners, and the importance of having a strong 3rd ball.

Here's a little clip.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I had a cracking weekend with a tournament yesterday. Won all four matches in the pool fairly easily (lost 2 games in total). The round of 16 was a breeze but I got knocked out in the quarter final by the same kid as two weeks ago (who came second in the tournament).

Playing this kid (I guess he's 12 or 13) is really entertaining as he really knows how to play against pips as his father plays with pips. Both matches have ended up like chess games. I know that he doesn't want the ball in his BH. He knows that I will eventually try to step around with my FH if he plays enough balls to my BH (where I normally chop with LP). He quite often plays loop-chop-loop-chop at a fairly moderate pace which obviously makes me a bit tired from all of the in/out movement :D I ended up losing something like 11-9 11-8 11-9 but it never felt close in reality. Really friendly kid (and father) so I took it as yet another great learning experience and went home in a great mood. 120+ ranking this month :D

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
TTD member erm had me test out a lot of softish rubbers on both FH and BH wing.

Consensus is that Nittaku Fastarc S1 allows me to do all the BH shots I do, but difference of a better top end.

Both versions of Big Slam on FH did well with the Intensity Carbon. M3 is getting a shout.

I will have it all settled by next week. My plan was to have the new rubbers settled 2 weeks before the big tourney. A lot of us from Sacramento area are going to Meiklejohn Seniors TT tourney, a 4 day huge west coast tourney.

erm remarked that he never knew I was better off with softish rubbers on both wings, he rarely, if never sees a player above club average do that. For some reason, my impact has better allround performance with softish sponged modern rubbers. Even against incoming topspin, maybe ESPECIALLY against incoming topspin, I seem to fare better with a soft modern rubber.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think softer rubbers are much more forgiving and you get more help from them. So easier to have good control and spin with an arc. Bu i think personally that if you want to play really hard too soft rubbers let you down. It Do not work good then in my opinion.

If they suit you Maybe depends on the playingstyle.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I am currently trying to work out whether softer thick rubbers are more effective for an all round close to the table game than harder thin rubbers. R7S in max was easier for serve return and placement by a significant margin than the likes of MX-P, MX-S etc in Max, but the sponge gave way too easily to perform thin contact brush loops and sometimes the bouncy nature catches me out. Went back to max sponge uber hard rubbers, MX-P 50 and MX-S, and in open play loop to loop, blocking and pushing wars they are great, but serve return is tricky and placement is a bit of a lottery as thick hard sponges block out blade feel. I have never really given thinner harder rubbers a try, I think it might be the golden mean for control, power and spin as long as you don't expect to go to far from the table and counter loop. A rubber with a consistent high arc and dynamic sponge should be better I think, as when I have used thinner sponges in the past I noticed a drop in throw, due to lower dwell, which made lifting backspin harder. My intuition from countless hours testing and reading EJ musings on forums tells me G-1, Genius in 1.8mm or T05 / T64 in 1.7mm might provide the monster controlled spin rubber I am looking for. Thinner sponge should reduce sensitivity to spin and slow down touch play making serve return easier, but open play should be just as effective as the thicker versions close to the table if brush looping and therefore not bottoming out the sponge. If anyone has experience of these rubbers in the thin sponge versions, or other 45-47 degrees+ rubbers, I would be interested to hear their thoughts on this.

I am very aware of Carl and others view on the thin vs thick rubber argument, there are many posts about this on many threads lol. What he says is right if you practice right and get coaching etc i.e. the thicker sponge can actually increase control due to the better dwell and control of the spin on the ball. However, I don't have access to coaching, never have and never will, and I am happy to top out at a high amateur level of play. In Germany, where they arguably have the highest standard amateur leagues in outside of Asia, the majority of higher level players play with 1.8mm and 2.0mm sponges to gain control and blade feel. Furthermore, the two best players in or top division both play with thinner rubbers so they can control placement better, one with MX-S in 1.9mm and one with Sriver EL in 1.9mm (I know - he is a ridiculously talented blocker with a crazy spinny brush loop) so I think there are certainly two sides to the argument. In any case I am just looking for real world experience of soft and thick vs hard and thin to gain control of the ball with potentially permanently flawed technique.

With many things in life, the answer is somewhere in the middle. So if we apply that logic to this conundrum it could well be that the optimum solution is a medium thickness rubber with a medium sponge and one with a topsheet that itself isn't too reactive to spin. C-1 in 1.8mm or T80 in 1.9mm could do the job, or even R7 2.0mm. Again, comments on experiences welcomed.

The challenge is to find the 'golden mean', which I think can be summed up by the ultimate balance between insensitivity to the opponents spin and ability to produce your own spin. It's out there somewhere and I know with all your collective knowledge and experience you guys can find it! :D

Last edited: