Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Hi Boogar,

I've watched a bit your videos but not the whole of them because it was quite long and I think i've grasped already a lot of things for you to think about

First of all, i remember your first videos and you have definitely improved a huge lot.

(+) I am very impressed by your footwork and overall balance. we can definitely see you doing bouncing on your feet nearly after every shot, you are pivoting well. So when you are not too far from the ball, you are always adjusting yourself. I think your timing is good most of the time, because your footwork is good. Even when playing the short balls or pushes you are going actively to the ball and thats good
(+) Your FH has become powerful as well. There are some glimpses of your attacking BH which is promising but we don't see enough of it
(+) serves are good.
(+) your opponents are not strong servers but you didn't make too many mistakes receiving, overall it was good on those matches.

(-) consistency. you are not consistent enough, especially with your opening loop where much too often you are putting too much power and/or you are not relaxed. So either thats a miss or because your shot is fast, it comes back fast but you're not recovering quickly enough and can't make a second attack. When you slow it down , which you did at times, its much better and thats how you won some games, being able to connect another FH or BH to stay in the rally

(-) long push. usually the push on the receive is very good. But then 2nd or later pushes are not good. First of all when a long push is coming at you, you should really try to attack it, your attacking FH is good and so is your footwork, so there is no reason to push it back. But even if you need to push it again, i can sense like for your topspin that your arm is not relaxed, and that you don't see that the incoming ball has not much backspin, so its always popping up , setting up the opponent for an easy attack

(-) you don't recover quickly enough because you put too much power in the previous shot / lost your balance / don't watch the ball, and you tend when you feel late (often the case) to go further away from the table, opening angles on the side. Your level is going up so you're now playing against stronger players, and they can easily take advantage of those angles if you're going back too much. A simple block is putting you out of reach a lot of times.

my main recommendation is to slow down a bit your opening attacks, and change your mindset to go for longer rallies and stay closer to the table. Work more on your pushes and backspin game. It's not good enough, and I believe against backspin players you would be very much at a disadvantage.

Thank you very much for watching my games and the advice!

These are very good points your brought up. I need to work on consistency not power. I really have to use that upwards snap of the forearm. This goes together with the recovery and me watching the ball too much.

I am going to focus on consistency in my training! I guess a good start is going to be taking out some power in stead of spin and control.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thank you very much for watching my games and the advice!

These are very good points your brought up. I need to work on consistency not power. I really have to use that upwards snap of the forearm. This goes together with the recovery and me watching the ball too much.

I am going to focus on consistency in my training! I guess a good start is going to be taking out some power in stead of spin and control.

To make it clearer, you have to establish early how your opponent handles topspin. If they block then take your time to play with spin. If they counter, work on your placement so you don't loop where they can counter aggressively. A common mistake in TT is to play your opponent as if he is King Kong when he is more like Donkey Kong Jr.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Some footage of todays Training

The first Video is a quick match against a guy from the same league ( our teams were supposed to play each other today, but we had to postpone the team match)
The first and the last game had some good exchanges in it :)

The second one is part of our training session: 2:30- 10:30 Third-ball attack parallel (9:50 despair backhand landing :))
11:00 - 22:30 him doing the same exercise
23:30 - 29:30Flip third-ball attack (me trying to learn the forehand flip)
30:00 - 38:00 him doing the same exercise
39:30 - 45:00 Backhand flip third-ball attack
rest him doing the same exercise

The last one ist us goofing around with wooden chop boards :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
@Boogar

nice effort for your training, keep it up , but here is some piece of advice:
- your training time is limited, try to make the most of it. It seems you are not 100% focused on EVERY ball, and thats too bad. Like the serve is high, or even wrong. or you're playing a good // FH attack, but then you're not ALWAYS making the effort to move quickly in a neutral position, so if the next ball is wide to your FH then its a miss. Maybe it should be PART of that kind of exercise to tell the other guy to block wide to the BH to make you move more or to mix it. not sure he decides on purpose where he blocks the ball.

- Same on the flick exercise. serve misses or high serves etc show you're not 100% focused. If its pattern play, then it should feel like a match, take your time before your serve. Count the points in your head to get motivated.

- If you just want to work on your FH flick its better just to practice without serve first. take a lot of balls and the guy just feeds you for the flick and you try to do it 50 times in a row. i think its more useful this way. It seems he has difficulties to control your serve so a lot of ball you can't flick and go for a loop, it should not happen if you're practicing the flick. Same for the BH flick, the ball nearly always come back too long. You're not practicing what you say you are practicing.

Anyway you're improving a lot, good job !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
All of the points you have metioned are good but if you don't have a decent coach/partner to feed multiballs its difficult to to do ...
@Boogar

nice effort for your training, keep it up , but here is some piece of advice:
- your training time is limited, try to make the most of it. It seems you are not 100% focused on EVERY ball, and thats too bad. Like the serve is high, or even wrong. or you're playing a good // FH attack, but then you're not ALWAYS making the effort to move quickly in a neutral position, so if the next ball is wide to your FH then its a miss. Maybe it should be PART of that kind of exercise to tell the other guy to block wide to the BH to make you move more or to mix it. not sure he decides on purpose where he blocks the ball.

- Same on the flick exercise. serve misses or high serves etc show you're not 100% focused. If its pattern play, then it should feel like a match, take your time before your serve. Count the points in your head to get motivated.

- If you just want to work on your FH flick its better just to practice without serve first. take a lot of balls and the guy just feeds you for the flick and you try to do it 50 times in a row. i think its more useful this way. It seems he has difficulties to control your serve so a lot of ball you can't flick and go for a loop, it should not happen if you're practicing the flick. Same for the BH flick, the ball nearly always come back too long. You're not practicing what you say you are practicing.

Anyway you're improving a lot, good job !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Hello, good people. Hope you all are doing well. Please check my BH Topspin practice with multiballs & leave your opinions. I am trying to improve this shot. In game, I am very much comfortable with playing forehand Topspin but when it comes to backhand, I can only play BH drive or Block.

https://youtu.be/tgDpT79aDUY

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Hi everyone! I'm a beginner player switching from cpen to shakehand. I ordered the following from aliexpress:

Yinhe E3
Palio AK47 yellow
Palio AK47 blue
#15 glue

I like the BH a lot. Flicks and loops.

Have I chosen well?

This user has no status.
So we had our Autumn tournament in our local league with an open tournament and sorted-by-age-category tournaments, so 40-49 for me

There were 22 entries in that tournament but a few guys cancelled. First, I was in a group of 4, together with the 1st seed, but he didn't show up, and #4 of the group didn't show up. I won my first match 3-0, 11-2 in the 3rd but it wasn't easy at all in the 1st and the 2nd, i fought from behind.
et voilà, directly in semis as on that part of the table, there was no QF. I meet there my teammate. He's a stronger player than me overall [judging by his results against other players both in training and in tournaments, and his former French ranking], but I'm his nemesis and beat him more than 70% in training. I am leading in the 1st set 10-8 but I'm a bit unlucky on one point and kind of choke, 10-12. Im behind 3-7 in the 2nd, oops, but I make a strong come back 11-8. At that stage I can feel he lost his confidence and starts to express negative feelings. It boosts my confidence even more 11-5 in the 3rd. In the 4th, i am a bit behind in the beginning, but I finish strong again 11-9 for a nice but not unexpected victory.

So I'm in the final against my nemesis, a guy who i couldn't take even one set for more than 10 years but whom recently I beat 3-2 in a tournament, back from 0-2. This time I am well prepared as I'm having both a physical and mental warmup before the final, and I make my best match of the day against him. I win 3-1 but it was domination for me. I dropped one set when leading 2-0 because i scratched my rubber (need to buy a new Tenergy grrrrrr) against the corner of the table during the match and got a bit upset about it. I could finish the match with the same racket. Fortunately, I could close the match 3-1, I was always in the lead in the 4th and never let him come back at me.

So I'm the local over40s champion, and its the 1st time I win such a tournament so I can tell it feels really great. So great that when i was called very shortly to play my match in the qualification group for the open tournament, I'm losing 0-3 to a guy i beated without too much trouble last time. I just wasn't able to focus 100%. I played decently but he played a bit better than last time; I missed 2 set points when leading 10-8 in the 1st, and from there it was a bit downhill, especially mentally.

I wasn't too upset about that counter-performance...

I beated only 3 players to get the tournament win (other players would have needed 5 matches to get there...) but its still counts as a win, and all 3 players I beated were good players. 1 or 2 years ago, I would have probably lost all 3 matches. I am also happy because for the 1st time, I feel I played all my matches as well as I play in training.

I want to thank all my teammates, training partners and coaches for this small - but important for me - achievement. and TTD followers who've been helping me as well :) !

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So we had our Autumn tournament in our local league with an open tournament and sorted-by-age-category tournaments, so 40-49 for me

There were 22 entries in that tournament but a few guys cancelled. First, I was in a group of 4, together with the 1st seed, but he didn't show up, and #4 of the group didn't show up. I won my first match 3-0, 11-2 in the 3rd but it wasn't easy at all in the 1st and the 2nd, i fought from behind.
et voilà, directly in semis as on that part of the table, there was no QF. I meet there my teammate. He's a stronger player than me overall [judging by his results against other players both in training and in tournaments, and his former French ranking], but I'm his nemesis and beat him more than 70% in training. I am leading in the 1st set 10-8 but I'm a bit unlucky on one point and kind of choke, 10-12. Im behind 3-7 in the 2nd, oops, but I make a strong come back 11-8. At that stage I can feel he lost his confidence and starts to express negative feelings. It boosts my confidence even more 11-5 in the 3rd. In the 4th, i am a bit behind in the beginning, but I finish strong again 11-9 for a nice but not unexpected victory.

So I'm in the final against my nemesis, a guy who i couldn't take even one set for more than 10 years but whom recently I beat 3-2 in a tournament, back from 0-2. This time I am well prepared as I'm having both a physical and mental warmup before the final, and I make my best match of the day against him. I win 3-1 but it was domination for me. I dropped one set when leading 2-0 because i scratched my rubber (need to buy a new Tenergy grrrrrr) against the corner of the table during the match and got a bit upset about it. I could finish the match with the same racket. Fortunately, I could close the match 3-1, I was always in the lead in the 4th and never let him come back at me.

So I'm the local over40s champion, and its the 1st time I win such a tournament so I can tell it feels really great. So great that when i was called very shortly to play my match in the qualification group for the open tournament, I'm losing 0-3 to a guy i beated without too much trouble last time. I just wasn't able to focus 100%. I played decently but he played a bit better than last time; I missed 2 set points when leading 10-8 in the 1st, and from there it was a bit downhill, especially mentally.

I wasn't too upset about that counter-performance...

I beated only 3 players to get the tournament win (other players would have needed 5 matches to get there...) but its still counts as a win, and all 3 players I beated were good players. 1 or 2 years ago, I would have probably lost all 3 matches. I am also happy because for the 1st time, I feel I played all my matches as well as I play in training.

I want to thank all my teammates, training partners and coaches for this small - but important for me - achievement. and TTD followers who've been helping me as well :) !

Congrats, Champ!

This user has no status.
thanks v much. the other matches I filmed as well, the SF was perhaps more spectacular with more rallies because its my teammate and we play every week so we know each other very well.

In the final there are not many rallies because both of us have strong FH attacks, so indeed it was tactical and I think i won because of serve/receive which enabled me to prevent him from attacking well and to attack first.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Some footage of todays Training

I think you need to try to be more focus and fight more. It is important to understand that, more fight and focus=better development :)

. I feel that you guys miss pretty much, so i think you should try to play easier and get the ball on the table. More balls on the table=practice the shot more times=better developement. So i think you should play more easy exercises so you can work on the basics and then go for serve and return exercises. You get more balls on the table by doing the same shot/motion for example forehandloop and try to move your feet instead so you can do the same shot everywhere. If you miss you have not done the same shot, then something have gone wrong. But it is also important to adjust a little depening on the shot the opponent does, but if you get the same ball, your shot/motion should be the same.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello DTT CCers! Long time no see!!!

Congrats Takkyu_wa_inochi!!! I'm glad I'm 53 and need not face you LOL

Been busy with real life. Have been playing intermittently. No videos. Feel I'm am almost getting the hang of RPB. 2 schools of thought: 1. RPB spin everything 2. RPB block, punch, BH, spin. i chose to learn from the ground up and went with 2nd approach. I used to TPB block/punch decently enough to be a tool in my game, so i decided to learn/train the RPB block/punch/BH/spin. For whatever reason I'm most comfortable with the RPB BH, decent enough that a friend from my club and ttmonster here believes I should convert to SH

Didn't play in a month or so however, I made time to meet up with Der Echte last Friday. Carl and PingPongHolic was there too. Got to hit with Carl for about 30 mins and we had fun. Forgot how kick his sidespin loops have when he wants to 'hook' them.

I used an extended fingers grip which was best for my FH but on my RPB, the angle of the racket was good for block or punch or BH, but I kept misjudging the incoming ball and it hit my fingers. Feel a little comfortable with my FH and RPB block/punch/BH finally and have decided to change my grip closer to my TPB grip of curled fingers. Still playing around with my placement of my fingers. What was once an unknown on how my hand/wrist would feel with 2 inverted rubbers and fearing carpal tunnel syndrome has past. Hand/wrist is strong enough. Now gotta keep at RPB to get consistent with the 3 basic strokes and soon start spinning. Clueless how months ago I had a nice session with RPB spinning with David Song. Need to get back at it.

Overall I still rush my shots, have inconsistent timing, but the past year or so I've worked on it and kind of improved. Yeah, yeah, no video, so no proof, so i'm just BSing lol will see if i can get video. I don't have perfect timing nor strokes but feel I'm a tad better than i was last year.

Last Friday, had a great albeit short time hititng with Carl and catching up with Der and PPH.

Hope DTT CCers are healthy and happy! Anyone want to spot me 9 points? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Welcome back !!! hey somebody had created a thread to ask about learning RPB .. may be you can help out

Hello DTT CCers! Long time no see!!!

Congrats Takkyu_wa_inochi!!! I'm glad I'm 53 and need not face you LOL

Been busy with real life. Have been playing intermittently. No videos. Feel I'm am almost getting the hang of RPB. 2 schools of thought: 1. RPB spin everything 2. RPB block, punch, BH, spin. i chose to learn from the ground up and went with 2nd approach. I used to TPB block/punch decently enough to be a tool in my game, so i decided to learn/train the RPB block/punch/BH/spin. For whatever reason I'm most comfortable with the RPB BH, decent enough that a friend from my club and ttmonster here believes I should convert to SH

Didn't play in a month or so however, I made time to meet up with Der Echte last Friday. Carl and PingPongHolic was there too. Got to hit with Carl for about 30 mins and we had fun. Forgot how kick his sidespin loops have when he wants to 'hook' them.

I used an extended fingers grip which was best for my FH but on my RPB, the angle of the racket was good for block or punch or BH, but I kept misjudging the incoming ball and it hit my fingers. Feel a little comfortable with my FH and RPB block/punch/BH finally and have decided to change my grip closer to my TPB grip of curled fingers. Still playing around with my placement of my fingers. What was once an unknown on how my hand/wrist would feel with 2 inverted rubbers and fearing carpal tunnel syndrome has past. Hand/wrist is strong enough. Now gotta keep at RPB to get consistent with the 3 basic strokes and soon start spinning. Clueless how months ago I had a nice session with RPB spinning with David Song. Need to get back at it.

Overall I still rush my shots, have inconsistent timing, but the past year or so I've worked on it and kind of improved. Yeah, yeah, no video, so no proof, so i'm just BSing lol will see if i can get video. I don't have perfect timing nor strokes but feel I'm a tad better than i was last year.

Last Friday, had a great albeit short time hititng with Carl and catching up with Der and PPH.

Hope DTT CCers are healthy and happy! Anyone want to spot me 9 points? :)