Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Thanks for your kind words NL

I've shown the vid to my senpai, and he says the main problem, to which i definitely agree upon viewing it again, is that the upper body is still most of the time too upright especially when executing FH. thats probably a lack of core muscles + bad habits.

when i do lean forward correctly the ball quality is immediately significantly better + the number of mistakes going down a lot.

so i'll try to focus mainly on that from now on

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2021
It is a Saturday in London and the weather is still just about playable outside, we are at the begining of Autumn.

First I head to More London near London Bridge, there are tables by the Thames river with the city looming up one side, on the other Tower Bridge in the distance. The players are very relaxed and friendly, there is a good level. We do some drills and then play some proper StreetTT matches but all for fun.

By mid afternoon, the place to go is the NOW Gallery outside the O2 Areana in North Greenwich. Here there is a total mixture of players from beginners to seasoned penholders and everyone in between. When I encounter good players, like at More London, I have a 50% win rate.

As the evening comes I head to UAL, Central Saint Martins in the Granary Building, minutes walk from Kings Cross station. These tables are in a giant public atrium and they are basically indoors. One of the larger communities of players play at these tables, there is a range of abilties but the highest level players come here. There are often amazing matches, like exhibition but playing to win. Like at many tables, there are kind people, often very skilled, who share their knowledge, I learn a lot here.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Hi guys, I have just got my new blade glued with my new rubbers.
Harimoto innerforce ZLC + H3 neo Province + Dignics 05.
257302843_216314317300983_2407011659608542032_n.jpg

Coming from Viscaria + H3 neo province + tenergy 05, I am finding this blade very difference to viscaria. It feels quite alot slower, and I am not sure if it is spinnier or not.
What are your experience with this blade?
What adaptation do you need to go from viscaria to this blade?
I am currently in 2/3 of the pennant competition, so I don't think I will be able to adapt to this blade in time, but after the comp, I will see if I can get used to it...

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Merry Xmas to all

i filmed my last session of the year with my coach

here are 2 (out of 6 videos) taken yday.

this is the warmup. i still lack consistency but the ball is really coming fast with a lot of spin, its unforgiving. I must pay attention to every detail in each shot not to miss. FH is more about legs and body balance, BH about getting the racket ready and close the wrist when re-loading.

In and out footwork is a big weakness. In the 1st half of the video, i'm really struggling and don't get much back.
However, in the second half, its getting much better because i focus on keeping the upper body lower after the short receive. and also im keeping the arm a bit more forward after the receive. it makes it much easier to react, especially when he's playing a short ball again , the flick is much easier, or to cover the wide angles from a FH flick. There is still time to play FH and BH drive, its actually more natural for the timing. I make quite a few quality shots finally.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Have you tried playing the forehand when standing more to the left? Now it seems you get the ball in front of you so you push the ball forward instead of using the forearm. Still think you can use the body as well, hard to generate power with the arm. More spin from
arm, power from the body.

Keep up the good work! 🙂🏓

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Well Takkyu, these are the kind of exercises your evolution of development need. We would not expect you to be proficient on these yet, that is why you are training them. I would be out of place saying you MUST specifically do this or that as you are at a stage where you will not yet be able to make such suggestions translate into immediate improvement of performance.

I think you have discovered a few things about what works and a few things you need to do... of course you are paying coach to tell you this too.

To go along with what you are saying, some things you are doing well on short receive is your first step. Fortunately, the camera shows your step to and under the table. You are performing this better and more naturally than the Pastor I am training (who is improving footwork better than any other area). If you are able to get a tiny closer to the ball, be finished with your arm movement before impact, and also have a little looser grip at impact, you will see your short receive quality go up a lot. Some of this you can see immediate results, a lot of it is developed over more time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Does anyone have any news of where 'Sing Hing' oldschoolpenhold is and how he is doing?

Hello JeffM and DTTCCers!

*pssst* This is a secret! DO NOT TELL CARL!

I thought he may have been a double agent!! I went to investigate his house and fell into a trap door to his basement. I finally escaped!!!

But i found no evidence that he is a double agent and will report my findings (or lack of findings) to Der . That trap door was meant for enemy agents! But I'm a klutz!!

LOL at me!!

--------

Please accept my deepest apologies Si-hing et al for not keeping in touch.

Lockdown for NYC started mid-March 2020 through ~Sept 2020. No TT at all! Also, wasn't able to meet up with my martial arts training group but was training at home. My spirits were still high, The recreation center I play TT at was still closed until ~June 2021! Finally opened and I went 4 nights a week. Things started to seem almost normal again. But then they changed their schedule. Instead of M-Th 6-7:30pm in the well-lit but low ceiling basement, it was M, W 6:30-8pm in the basketball courts upstairs on main floor and the court is poorly lit in spots. T, Th was 12-1:30pm.

Their schedule change coupled with my work schedulue change of working until 6pm in Manhattan, made it not as desirable to get off work, take 1 hour subway to Queens to maybe get a table to play (or not). Lost my love of TT for the time being. Sadly, related... gained 5 lbs back that i lost through the years.

But I will take JeffM/Carl's reaching out to me as a sign from GuoYueHua and the rest of the Penholder gods that I should get back into TT somehow.

Sad the scheduling was not like it was pre-lockdown ... M-Th 4:30-9:30pm and i used to be there about 3 hours 4x a week.

--------

Hope this post finds the DTTCCers healthy and happy!

As John Wick said, "I think I am back!"

~osph