Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
A great point indeed... and you won that game too.

Your vid shows how terrible USA is with the playing venues. This is a 4 star event, the highest quality class of tournament, yet, the floors are light colored and reflect glare, and the walls are a near white color... not dark color like they should be. That makes it mighty difficult to see the tiny 40mm ball.

USATT tourney sanctioning guidelines and the USATT rules of TT show that the background must not be light.

Our finest highest level tourneys are ALWAYS played in those conditions. (bad floor/white or light colored walls - glare everywhere)

That is an indictment of our sport.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Yesterday, I had a good training session with my coach. Even though it was half an hour shorter than our usual sessions, he added 2 new aspects into my training. The first was the forehand flick. After the multiballs, I feel more confident with executing the stroke, with variation in the power and placement.
The other new aspect was the counter loop, which I was not expecting him to incorporate into my training at this stage. I had attempted it previously without coaching, and the results were quite poor. This time, despite being our first practice with this, I feel it can be achieved.

I can't do what NextLevel did in his point above, but I thought I would post a video of me practicing the stroke. Hopefully I can repeat NextLevel's shot one day haha.

https://youtu.be/LqZeT1lvlW0

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Hey guys, there was a video that in it Xu Xin was returning lobs from Lin Gaoyuan (if I'm not mistaken) and it was from a training session at T2 Diamond. It had some stupid effect as well (I think there were cgi ball trails or something). I remember seeing it here, but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Edit: nevermind, found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsLcu9mmZrE

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It is tough being an adult learner. Just saw a Tom Lodziak video where he talks about Rade Markovic commenting on Tom's game. If you learned mostly after your 20s and have bad knees, you will know what Tom is going through. And many people who do not put themselves on video are making comments on YouTube with no experience in how hard it is to work in their game. It is sad.

says regularly shitposting
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019
It is tough being an adult learner. Just saw a Tom Lodziak video where he talks about Rade Markovic commenting on Tom's game. If you learned mostly after your 20s and have bad knees, you will know what Tom is going through. And many people who do not put themselves on video are making comments on YouTube with no experience in how hard it is to work in their game. It is sad.

Basically 99.99% of youtube comments should be ignored. People do not really think, quite literally, when they write there.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
yeh its difficult. I want to think I keep improving and want to stay motivated.

But sometimes reality hits.

Today at the club lost my 3 training matches, including 2 to teenagers. One of them could never beat me until 3months ago. and now within these 3 months his level really jumped a lot... The other teen was already strong. At last I played a teammate with whom i had some very close games recently, but this time he destroyed me.

The worst thing yesterday is I got the impression i couldn't attack at all. I scored mostly with blocks or counters. got pressured from really bad serve/receive. I think I messed up also because before the match i practised 3rd ball attack and i wanted to try to take the 3rd ball as early as possible when drilling, and probably kept trying to do that in match, except that I didn't know where the receive was going, so of course, i made many mistakes...

I was unable to slow down a bit and think more clearly to at least win against the 2 teens.

the only positive point is we had our year end party after that session so I could put a quick end to it without any regrets :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
What do you guys think of playing tt under the influence of THC.
Yesterday I had a few hits about 2 hours before training.
Then while playing I felt super focused and also had a different feeling, like I just instantly could topspin with my backhand close to the table as good as never before. Usually I kinda jerk the stroke and am not using enough of my arm for a big enough movement.

At the end of the session I even beat my trainer in a short match, which NEVER happens he played in the china youth national team and is crazy good. He praised my play and gifted me a cool wipe towel :D, usually he jokes about everyone and tells em how bad they are ( not in a mean way).
So this might be just a very good day and not due the cannabis. What are your experiences, if you have any and feel comfortable sharing?

I started training in his group sessions about 4 months ago as I felt like I hit a hard plateau at 1000-1100 swiss rating points > prob around 1900 USTT.
The training is only every two weeks for two hours. More would be too expensive for me, but its nice to get some good feedback and new inputs for my training.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
What do you guys think of playing tt under the influence of THC.
Yesterday I had a few hits about 2 hours before training.
Then while playing I felt super focused and also had a different feeling, like I just instantly could topspin with my backhand close to the table as good as never before. Usually I kinda jerk the stroke and am not using enough of my arm for a big enough movement.

At the end of the session I even beat my trainer in a short match, which NEVER happens he played in the china youth national team and is crazy good. He praised my play and gifted me a cool wipe towel :D, usually he jokes about everyone and tells em how bad they are ( not in a mean way).
So this might be just a very good day and not due the cannabis. What are your experiences, if you have any and feel comfortable sharing?

I started training in his group sessions about 4 months ago as I felt like I hit a hard plateau at 1000-1100 swiss rating points > prob around 1900 USTT.
The training is only every two weeks for two hours. More would be too expensive for me, but its nice to get some good feedback and new inputs for my training.

Whether it is good to take stimulating substances as part of one's improvement regimen? Depends on the cost benefit and long term safety. There is no single right answer. As long as you know the long term effects are not harmful, then you can do what you want. That said, there are probably other ways to get yourself to play better. Usually, I think people who make money doing something are the people who should take risks to do it well. Table tennis is fun even when you aren't winning IMO - I just love hitting the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Any tips to improve my forehand topspin? My hitting partner here said that my spin on my forehand topspin is less than that on my backhand topspin and I would like to see if anyone has any insight why so that I can figure out how to improve the spin on my forehand.

https://youtu.be/Npsv58K6CjU?t=828

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Any tips to improve my forehand topspin? My hitting partner here said that my spin on my forehand topspin is less than that on my backhand topspin and I would like to see if anyone has any insight why so that I can figure out how to improve the spin on my forehand.

I had a brief look out of curiousity and there is one thing I did notice. I remember you saying you have some issues with your knees and rheumatoid arthritis (IIRC), so I don't know exactly how much your body can handle.

Anyway, I notice that you do turn your hips to the right to allow rotation, but you tend to use the shoulder to do most of work of swinging the bat forward, and then the hips come back into position after contact with the ball. I think you would have better power and spin if, at the end of the backswing, you used the right leg to push and start the forward movement and also helping to start the rotation back into position of the hips. The hips then help with the upper body rotation, and the shoulder can then be whipped (a la Brett Clark advice) through the ball. A little more bend of the right knee to put more weight on it to allow a better push back would help, but I don't know whether you can bend your knee much at all.

TLDR: In my opinion, you are rotating the hips, but not using them to get power and whip the shoulder through. The shoulder is dragging the hips instead. Hence less power and spin than you should be getting. Just a thought, feel free to use or ignore. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I could be wrong. But I think some of this boils down to what is going on with your joints. I could only imagine how nasty your FH would be if you had healthy knees, hips, shoulder, elbow and wrist. Even with RA your FH (which needs the knees, hips and shoulder more than the BH) is still pretty darn nasty. I can say that from feeling the ball quality on my racket. Even if you BH is much more natural for you.

[edit: funny, I think DTop and I were posting at the same time. :)]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I had a brief look out of curiousity and there is one thing I did notice. I remember you saying you have some issues with your knees and rheumatoid arthritis (IIRC), so I don't know exactly how much your body can handle.

Anyway, I notice that you do turn your hips to the right to allow rotation, but you tend to use the shoulder to do most of work of swinging the bat forward, and then the hips come back into position after contact with the ball. I think you would have better power and spin if, at the end of the backswing, you used the right leg to push and start the forward movement and also helping to start the rotation back into position of the hips. The hips then help with the upper body rotation, and the shoulder can then be whipped (a la Brett Clark advice) through the ball. A little more bend of the right knee to put more weight on it to allow a better push back would help, but I don't know whether you can bend your knee much at all.

TLDR: In my opinion, you are rotating the hips, but not using them to get power and whip the shoulder through. The shoulder is dragging the hips instead. Hence less power and spin than you should be getting. Just a thought, feel free to use or ignore. :)

Thanks. It's a thought I had so it is good to hear confirmation it is could be something to take more seriously (in my head when I am looping, the lag between shoulder and hip isn't as bad it looks whenever I see it on video and it is usually much worse down the line than cross court). I just started taking this hip thing more seriously so I am still maybe half a year away from real fixes that may hopefully show up in matches.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I could be wrong. But I think some of this boils down to what is going on with your joints. I could only imagine how nasty your FH would be if you had healthy knees, hips, shoulder, elbow and wrist. Even with RA your FH (which needs the knees, hips and shoulder more than the BH) is still pretty darn nasty. I can say that from feeling the ball quality on my racket. Even if you BH is much more natural for you.

[edit: funny, I think DTop and I were posting at the same time. :)]

Definitely still have physical limitations, I have trained so hard this week that my knees and elbow are hurting (but I get two weeks off traveling so I hope the rest will fix things). Just trying to continue to look at my technique (otherwise, what is the point of practice) and of course, have some Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat. I have lost enough weight that I will push the body and see where the limits are.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I've thought about it some more and I realize that the way I use my arm on the forehand is kinda wrong with the backswing being to far away from the body to force me to sync it up with the hip - engages the upper arm and shoulder too much. Changing my forehand might hurt a bit so it will be a slow process.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
How many fhs have you hit the old way you do it now? All you have to do to change to a new fh is hit the same number the new way, without mixing in any old-way ones. Easy!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
How many fhs have you hit the old way you do it now? All you have to do to change to a new fh is hit the same number the new way, without mixing in any old-way ones. Easy!

Well, I do know this stroke so it isn't completely alien to me and I have many hours with it. I just have to find a version of it that I can practice and trust while moving to a ball away from me. Lots of shadowing right now lol. I would argue that I do it sometimes in the video, but just not all the time.

Last edited: