Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

TTW

This user has no status.

TTW

This user has no status.
Jan 2020
It is inevitable when you play people who you can always beat. But an aspect of it is now technically solid you are. If you are technically solid, then your level should come through even when you are bored. Sometimes too your opponents are playing well and you are not in the mood to try and give them credit.

And sometimes like yesterday, I wasn't warmed up yet and neither were they. But when I played 2 matches and they hadn't played any other than the first one they had played rope against me, it became abusive because my sharpness was there and theirs was not...

It's really hard sometimes. I feel like I should stop playing for sometime :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It's really hard sometimes. I feel like I should stop playing for sometime :(

Well I guess it depends on how you see your game and where you are. For me since I play tournaments I don't care as much about club match results. I mostly care that I bring my best game when I need to. Whatever happens in the club is only as important as I make it in my mind. And my technique is at a point that I don't have to pretend that I am better or worse than I am on any given day. Always remember that the opponent has a right to play well too, and as long as you make them play well to win the points, you have done your job.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have never been happier with my technique than I am now. You can see what I call an element of sidespin in the video above and my sidespin is probably the least on any backhand in the club. The problem on both forehand and backhand is that hitting the ball really hard leads to my turning my body in a circle and losing timing. But my backhand definitely has less sidespin than my forehand and I think I am at a point where neither are really that bad. And if anyone thinks that sidespin is something a pro would not do on their basic loop, I have a Gionis video for you.
Glad to hear your improvement and satisfaction. Still would crave to meetup and compare a lot of things.

In no way did I say hookshot spin is bad, it is still good stuff, some of my bh are hookshot too.

I would somehow find a way to involve a tourney with the trip too... or make a tourney action.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Glad to hear your improvement and satisfaction. Still would crave to meetup and compare a lot of things.

In no way did I say hookshot spin is bad, it is still good stuff, some of my bh are hookshot too.

I would somehow find a way to involve a tourney with the trip too... or make a tourney action.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

We definitely should do a meetup in NY. I haven't improved much given that my problems are tied mostly to mobility but I am definitely happy with my technique (other than my forehand but that is what it is).

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I found an extra gear in my backhand today. Usually I stop on my topspin backswing with my handle pointing at the right wall, but I actually decided to take the extra risk of having the handle point towards where I Wanted the ball to go - it requires a grip switch which I am not always happy to effect but the quality of the ball is much higher when I do it right. I do use it on banana flicks. It is something I will probably work on integrating into my regular topspin over time.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
We definitely should do a meetup in NY. I haven't improved much given that my problems are tied mostly to mobility but I am definitely happy with my technique (other than my forehand but that is what it is).

Yeah, we gotta do it, and maybe I can line up the trip to go with a tourney or make one happen.

My BH is improved, overall, I prolly improved a couple levels since you last saw me in action.

I might have another two levels of improvement left in me before I become a 300 lb dude slapping LP on my BH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I was sick, so could not play in the last two weeks. Tomorrow shadow training starts again!
Then why I am here? Because I've seen a few matches from the hungarian open live! Probably they have been discussed, so I want to share details which are hard to spot watching streams. First: everyone was sick. Okay, not everyone, but Dima pretty badly and Calderano too for sure and maybe Jakub as well. Second: Togami Shunsuke is an incredible player! He is just too predictable and slow on reading the opponent. But when he expected the incoming ball, he found every single time the end of the table, his attacks were deep like the mines of Moria. And his short pushes are extremely low, the lowest I've ever seen (and I was a ball boy at FZD's match in the hungarian open before the WTTC, just for reference).

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Did my first 4 star tourney in Walnut Creek. Went with Scoobie Doo Tsos and a few other friends. James T did outstanding reaching finals and getting PAID.

Scoobie Doo was very ambitious with his schedule, did 4 events - one of them a 2 stage giant round robin. That meant he played straight or played, sat played too much. He still advanced out of 3 groups and made 2 semis.

I had perhaps my best tourney performance ever and will likely lose 20 points. (Small consequence) (Lost to a severely under-rated dude who just played a tiny bit better.

This was the first tourney where I earned 2 wins vs mid 2000s players who have been rated as such in Bay Area. (This place is its own animal) The only time ever in a sanctioned tourney where I took initiative late, made up ground, and won with decisiveness at the end vs a player of this class. Skuldrugged another mid-2000s guy.

Advanced in U2200 and played vs Keenan Southall. Haha his 2109 rating is severely under-rated too, but what the heck, I got his attention in game one right away and also in game 4. Got to 6-2 and could not pull of a win. He showed me his class and composure. I made it rough for him early and late, but he held up his end of the bargain and delivered the goods.

I asked the German players here if they could paypal me $50 USD of funds to buy 10 loops to give a chance in one of the games. Wire transfer got held up in customs it seemed.

Overall, this tourney told me I belong in the class I am rated at. I was concerned that I may or may not show this in the next few tourneys. This one showed me I can compete and win at this level. Now I need to improve so many things to get another half level and a full level.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Ratings came out, mid 2000s (2054). Guy I lost to unrated was low 2000s rated.

So I went 2-1 vs players my level with my loss a close one in 5th, won 2 matches decisively, one late in match, one from beginning to end.

I was concerned I may not have belonged in that class, now I know I do belong, so expectations are there to keep demonstrating it and keep improving. I need to get it done at the next level this time next year.

So strange I have improved 3 levels playing basically 3 times a week, mostly without much formal structure. Where I coach or play with the lower div crowds, I guess it is improving touch or something. 3x a week is barely maintenance level.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Hi guys, thought I would give a little update as I haven't posted for a while.

I've been sent to a rural area to work for the past 7 weeks, which is 2 hours flying from the city in the Western part of Australia. As a result, there is absolutely no table tennis here or anywhere near here. And trust me, I have been looking hard all around, the closest to table tennis I found was a table in the back yard of another doctor's house, sadly the bats there have got non-existent rubber, and the balls... perhaps I have been too pampered with my 3 stars D40+s at home...

Anyway, he has got a family so it was not appropriate for me to keep asking him to play with him. Apart from that, there are absolutely nowhere else. There is a recreation centre there, but they do not have table tennis. Given it is a rural area, with no table tennis, and nowhere for me to play piano (apart from a grand piano outside an arts centre which they were gonna hire me to play there but I declined as I didn't want to be practicing there when I should be performing), I decided to go gym.

The gym registration fee is quite expensive to me. For the same price, it would have given me 3 months worth in the city, but it would only be 1 month in that rural area. Because of the steep cost and nothing much else to do, I have been going at it very frequently, averaging 4-5 times per week. I did some regular checkups, and I am definitely seeing improvements in strength and muscles.

But back to the main point of my post..
It was, and still is, super hard living out here alone, with my hobbies taken away from me, and no friends around. I love table tennis, and not able to play or practice makes time pass really slow. What's got me so far is reading your posts here, hearing about what you guys did, how you went in the tournaments, and youtube table tennis videos. I am going to make a shoutout to the TTD episodes, they are the best series ever. If you haven't watched them, I highly recommend them. They always come out on Monday (British time), but for whatever reason, I have been waiting for it to come yesterday, it didn't come... And that day felt so long. Today it finally came out, and it is the best episode so far, featuring Dan!! Dan played so well, even though his opponents are so strong. I really thought initially that he would have lost the final match, but the 3rd set was superb. I'm going to share the video here, surely Dan wouldn't mind as it is his website xD

Anyway, if it's too long, summary is, living out in the rural area is hard without TT(D)
I've got a bit less than 4 weeks to go before I return to the city (civilization). I hope the TTD episodes will come out on time on Mondays hahaha.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Hi guys, thought I would give a little update as I haven't posted for a while.

I've been sent to a rural area to work for the past 7 weeks, which is 2 hours flying from the city in the Western part of Australia. As a result, there is absolutely no table tennis here or anywhere near here. And trust me, I have been looking hard all around, the closest to table tennis I found was a table in the back yard of another doctor's house, sadly the bats there have got non-existent rubber, and the balls... perhaps I have been too pampered with my 3 stars D40+s at home...

Anyway, he has got a family so it was not appropriate for me to keep asking him to play with him. Apart from that, there are absolutely nowhere else. There is a recreation centre there, but they do not have table tennis. Given it is a rural area, with no table tennis, and nowhere for me to play piano (apart from a grand piano outside an arts centre which they were gonna hire me to play there but I declined as I didn't want to be practicing there when I should be performing), I decided to go gym.

The gym registration fee is quite expensive to me. For the same price, it would have given me 3 months worth in the city, but it would only be 1 month in that rural area. Because of the steep cost and nothing much else to do, I have been going at it very frequently, averaging 4-5 times per week. I did some regular checkups, and I am definitely seeing improvements in strength and muscles.

But back to the main point of my post..
It was, and still is, super hard living out here alone, with my hobbies taken away from me, and no friends around. I love table tennis, and not able to play or practice makes time pass really slow. What's got me so far is reading your posts here, hearing about what you guys did, how you went in the tournaments, and youtube table tennis videos. I am going to make a shoutout to the TTD episodes, they are the best series ever. If you haven't watched them, I highly recommend them. They always come out on Monday (British time), but for whatever reason, I have been waiting for it to come yesterday, it didn't come... And that day felt so long. Today it finally came out, and it is the best episode so far, featuring Dan!! Dan played so well, even though his opponents are so strong. I really thought initially that he would have lost the final match, but the 3rd set was superb. I'm going to share the video here, surely Dan wouldn't mind as it is his website xD

Anyway, if it's too long, summary is, living out in the rural area is hard without TT(D)
I've got a bit less than 4 weeks to go before I return to the city (civilization). I hope the TTD episodes will come out on time on Mondays hahaha.

Carnarvon? I lived for three-and-a-half months there, took up fishing (and, ahem, goone) and had a blast. You can get a line, hook and a good old ten-inch diameter plastic wheel (reel if you will) in place of a fishing rod, whereby you just throw the line and draw it back in by hand. Feeling in your hands is incredible when you have a good chunk of a fish on the hook, I'd say anyone who is a pianist and has the TT touch should try it. AU$5 is what it'll cost, and the squid bits for bait. If you are inland, it's another story. No wonder there are so many alcohol restrictions in the outback, although I will say there is no other place like it and it really changed me in a profound way.

I'm also away from TT at the moment for different reasons (more than any other, shoulder and elbow joints asking for a fairly prolonged rest after years of reckless indoor climbing; also feeling the too many computer hours in and out of work didn't help and heck, I am only 31 - will be back soon enough), and scratching a bit of the itch here in the same way. I guess those times are always an opportunity to find something else, I am really enjoying long (as in, long) walks around the city where I live now. Good for finding that flow of mind which I also have in my best TT matches (or even free practice, just playing for the beauty of it) - also I'd recommend anyone to look into climbing, in spite of the way I over-used it. It really is fantastic for the way it forces you use every last bit of your senses, muscles you didn't know you had, focus, body coordination and general balance, in all senses of the word. It doesn't mix well with TT if you are going to pursue reasonably serious achievements in both sports at the same time (I tried, shouldn't have), but there are ways to accommodate for a schedule where one of the two is favoured. Before I overdid it, I found a weekly and thought out climbing session would (other than the fun!) do a lot of good in TT for my core and legs strength, body awareness as previously mentioned, and really good old arm-power.
The other reason I mention all this here is the mindset that is required for both (to say it otherwise, the people who will enjoy and get into it and the general progression - brainy sports, both of them), as I think there'll be a fair overlapse in the pools of potential practitioners. Not to say we don't have our own fools haha, and I'll raise my hand first.
Here's a video that had me pumped back then, watched it a dozen times when I was climbing hard.
https://youtu.be/QllWNEGBKic
- that is, if you don't mind the French sense of humour. There are thousands of more quiet ones.

The landscapes remind me of Australia, in some ways. Not one place in particular, but the feeling of immensity, the piercing sky; the freedom; the red dirt. I miss it now!

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Carnarvon? I lived for three-and-a-half months there, took up fishing (and, ahem, goone) and had a blast. You can get a line, hook and a good old ten-inch diameter plastic wheel (reel if you will) in place of a fishing rod, whereby you just throw the line and draw it back in by hand. Feeling in your hands is incredible when you have a good chunk of a fish on the hook, I'd say anyone who is a pianist and has the TT touch should try it. AU$5 is what it'll cost, and the squid bits for bait. If you are inland, it's another story. No wonder there are so many alcohol restrictions in the outback, although I will say there is no other place like it and it really changed me in a profound way.

I'm also away from TT at the moment for different reasons (more than any other, shoulder and elbow joints asking for a fairly prolonged rest after years of reckless indoor climbing; also feeling the too many computer hours in and out of work didn't help and heck, I am only 31 - will be back soon enough), and scratching a bit of the itch here in the same way. I guess those times are always an opportunity to find something else, I am really enjoying long (as in, long) walks around the city where I live now. Good for finding that flow of mind which I also have in my best TT matches (or even free practice, just playing for the beauty of it) - also I'd recommend anyone to look into climbing, in spite of the way I over-used it. It really is fantastic for the way it forces you use every last bit of your senses, muscles you didn't know you had, focus, body coordination and general balance, in all senses of the word. It doesn't mix well with TT if you are going to pursue reasonably serious achievements in both sports at the same time (I tried, shouldn't have), but there are ways to accommodate for a schedule where one of the two is favoured. Before I overdid it, I found a weekly and thought out climbing session would (other than the fun!) do a lot of good in TT for my core and legs strength, body awareness as previously mentioned, and really good old arm-power.
The other reason I mention all this here is the mindset that is required for both (to say it otherwise, the people who will enjoy and get into it and the general progression - brainy sports, both of them), as I think there'll be a fair overlapse in the pools of potential practitioners. Not to say we don't have our own fools haha, and I'll raise my hand first.
Here's a video that had me pumped back then, watched it a dozen times when I was climbing hard.
https://youtu.be/QllWNEGBKic
- that is, if you don't mind the French sense of humour. There are thousands of more quiet ones.

The landscapes remind me of Australia, in some ways. Not one place in particular, but the feeling of immensity, the piercing sky; the freedom; the red dirt. I miss it now!

Thanks for sharing your experience, Ioiettino!
I am currently in Karratha, which is further north from Carnarvon. I have heard that fishing is good here, but I am not into that haha. Interesting to hear that you likes rock climbing, as I used to play with a guy that had really good touch and spin, and he was a rock climber too.

I hope your elbow and shoulder joints recover soon. They should given you are young!

Since you miss Australia, if you come over to WA again, let me know, we can have a hit :D

Reactions: Ioiettino
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Thanks for sharing your experience, Ioiettino!
I am currently in Karratha, which is further north from Carnarvon. I have heard that fishing is good here, but I am not into that haha. Interesting to hear that you likes rock climbing, as I used to play with a guy that had really good touch and spin, and he was a rock climber too.

I hope your elbow and shoulder joints recover soon. They should given you are young!

Since you miss Australia, if you come over to WA again, let me know, we can have a hit :D

Righty-o! I just zoomed through Karratha on the Greyhound. Make sure you plunge into the Ningaloo Reef (Coral Bay), it's a wonder really, and next door to you in Australian terms. Slow currents in case you'd rather know, it is different from the Great Barrier in that you can just put your mask and tuba on, and see all the stuff thirty yards from the beach, flat and quiet patches of the most life I've seen anywhere on earth. I just hope the reef is holding on ok, 2008 is when I was in WA. Apparently the Great Barrier is really struggling, not to go hippy-flower-powery but these things kind of draw the life out of me at the same time. If it sounds overdone, I'll explain I grew up in the woodlands and countryside in eastern France and, well - if I thought I knew about wildlife and nature, I sure still got a shock (the nearest and only primary forest in Europe, so far as I know and I imagine apart from the Alpine heights, would be in the depths of Poland - wolves are making a still minor but steady comeback interestingly; hiding deers, foxes and wild boars, and a few other things - much too quiet still, when you walk through it). Tasmania hit me like a Xu Xin steparound counterloop, the wombat is still my favourite animal and the eucalyptus, my favourite tree. Used to live in the woods for weeks on end with girlfriend, car, tent and those magical free or few bucks a day campgrounds scattered throughout deep in the forest (dry toilet, often a river or the sea, a flat empty space and that's you, you and the wallabies and the million other things). Sometimes a hundred or plenty more miles down the sole or even dead-end road, and it all makes perfect sense in OZ. Please, please take care of it.

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Changing equipment comes with its share of frustrations...

I now have to admit to myself that my current setup is too fast for me. In this case, I have grown to love the rubber but the blade just doesn't give me the comfort I need to use the rubber when blocking. I switched the slowest Carbon blade I have with the rubber today (Carbonado 45) and I will see what that does. T05H is perfect for my powerspin game but Carbonado 190 made more sense when I used a slower rubber like MX-K or Fastarc C1.