Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
I don't think 3 weeks is a very long time but the adjustment between Korbel and Acoustic Inner shouldn't be that big, they have the same outer ply and are very similar in speed. Perhaps you have been playing with your other blade so long you are attributing things to the difference in feel that are not actually happening. Just a theory.

yes since 2005 at least, perhaps more with the Korbel

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Here are my two cents ...

Any adaptation takes 6 weeks to 3 months ... in my experience ... everytime I have changed equipment it has only helped me to learn some new skill etc. Now people like Der_Echte have a very incisive knowledge on equipments and have tried a lot of different setups ... so they exactly know what they want ... for us ( may not be you ) , its better to give it a fair chance and then decide ... don't be impatient ... just tell yourself you need to increase your skill on when to hold it lighter and when to hold it harder .. thats it !
hmmm that would be a radical change, but i only start to understand now the compromises made by the stronger players

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hey Monster, you met ttd member erm in bay area at the resturant... he ended up tossing me a pile of Persson Power Play blades and dynamic rubbers...

I knew I could play with that kind of stuff... I did it before... but man, I grew almost 2 levels with it.

I could name pretty much every measure I listed in my respinse... but it was a combination of that gear, better decisions, playing with erm and Scoobie Doo Sylvester, and being calm at tourneys.

I have always learned better point construction every time I was in between main bats and went to the ALL+ LISSOM.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Sorry can't recall who, which restaurant are you talking about ? ... don't have the best of memories ..but anyways I have always felt that change is always good because it exposes something that you can improve on ... does not matter if the setup is faster or slower, spinner or less spinny , even playing with long pips will teach you a different kind of touch .. not for nothing the CNT makes them play with both hands ... to increase understanding and touch .. glad that you feel the same way .. makes me confident that it was not a placebo effect ... I had a friend who would always feel that new setups are great and in a month will sell it and go back to his older setup :)
Hey Monster, you met ttd member erm in bay area at the resturant... he ended up tossing me a pile of Persson Power Play blades and dynamic rubbers...

I knew I could play with that kind of stuff... I did it before... but man, I grew almost 2 levels with it.

I could name pretty much every measure I listed in my respinse... but it was a combination of that gear, better decisions, playing with erm and Scoobie Doo Sylvester, and being calm at tourneys.

I have always learned better point construction every time I was in between main bats and went to the ALL+ LISSOM.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I've been improving more and more recently, winning games that I never thought I could. However, I still have problems keeping my weight forward during rallies to keep on attacking after a while. I talked to the coach and he said it's most likely the tiredness of the leg muscles, and that I need to get into a better shape. Apparently you can only improve in your technique so much before you absolutely have to take care of your physical shape. :D Oh well, seems like I need to hit the gym again. I'm sure I put that card somewhere...

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Its core and legs .. your coach is right on the money ... even if I hit the gym for 3-4 weeks rigorously this part of my game improves noticably ...
I've been improving more and more recently, winning games that I never thought I could. However, I still have problems keeping my weight forward during rallies to keep on attacking after a while. I talked to the coach and he said it's most likely the tiredness of the leg muscles, and that I need to get into a better shape. Apparently you can only improve in your technique so much before you absolutely have to take care of your physical shape. :D Oh well, seems like I need to hit the gym again. I'm sure I put that card somewhere...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This is wonderful news @NextLevel ... can only wish you continued success in your efforts .. looking forward ...
Trying to see whether I can come out of retirement or not. Let's see... but I might realistically be 6 months away if even possible. Patience...

But I have decided that for my style Hinoki is the only way to go.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Trying to see whether I can come out of retirement or not. Let's see... but I might realistically be 6 months away if even possible. Patience...

But I have decided that for my style Hinoki is the only way to go.

Good luck Sir!

Reactions: JeffM and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello DTT CCers!

42andbackpains didn't play for 6 months due to his back. I didn't play in 3 weeks, spent 2 weeks in Hong Kong and 1 week recovering from jet lag. I'm the type that if i don't play in 3 days, I lose my timing/touch/game.

We got together for a secret Goon Squad training mission to test each other this past Thursday in an undisclosed location to prepare for future Good Squad missions.

We both played like 1200 players. As 42andbackpains said to me, "We all gotta start somewhere." Many points didn't last more than 3 balls!! Have the raw video and timestamps for selected highlights. No need to watch the whole video as I am not lying, really bad play from the both of us. JeffM and ttmonster, 9 points please!

Although there were moments of the old 42andbackpains - his FH and BH loops were spinny. At my regular club, I generally don't face a player of his level. Was totally outclassed by his speed/spin WHEN he made the shots. He "muscled"/"overpowered" many of his shots. IIRC, NextLevel once described 42andbackpains' loops as trying to loop like he was 2300. Prior to meeting that night, I had a long day and was wiped out already as evidenced from my lack of footwork ... [Begin Takkyu voice] Move your feet! [/voice] :)

I'm in black and the taller handsome young man in blue is 42andbackpains. Man, my bald spot is getting bigger :( I didn't pull the ball out of my butt, I clamped it between my legs LOL

I used Taksim with Donic Bluefire and Xiom Vega Pro, the racket I've been using almost a year. Played games 1, 4 and 5 with it IIRC. Have not really tried out my backup racket, Avalox 7 ply with Big Dipper and Xiom Vega Pro until that night. Showed my rackets at 12:32-12:53.

1st game: 0:00 - 5:16
2nd: 6:00-8:43
3rd: 8:47-12:01
4th: 13:06 - 18:27
5th: 19:08 - 24:15

For me: 8, -1, -2, 9, -5

--------

Probably the highlight of the match, it was ugly but it went 7 balls!

22:16 - 22:24

42andbackpains' BH loops:

2:27 - 2:31
4:01 - 4:05
9:37 - 9:42
10:24 - 10:28
15:03 - 15:07 - I was there ready to RPB block/punch, but underestimated his speed/spin!

42andbackpains' corkscrew serve:

22:53 - 22:56

42andbackpains consistently returns my FH pendulum this way and caught me flatfooted many a time:

7:00 - 7:06
21:08 - 21:14

Ugly lunging off balance, I FH smash:

15:16 - 15:18

I RPB flat hit the 2nd ball but mistimed the 4th ball:

3:49 - 3:53

I strawberry (?):

9:03 - 9:07

I RPB block/punch but got smoked by the next ball:

13:27 - 13:24
13:29 - 13:36
17:28 - 17:34

I generally rush my shots, but I waited for this ball and missed the RPB loop - i really should wear glasses when I play:

19:55 - 20:00

Lately in my gameplay, I either miss or choke on my FH loop - this was ugly, but I made it LOL:

21:28 - 21:32

Tribute to Der_Echte:

3:31 - 3:42
9:59 - 10:14

Tribute to suds:

18:55 - 19:02 - fiddling my racket

I am accepting 9 points from any forum member as witness my pathetic 1200 level gameplay! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Pretty simple question here I'm sure some of you will know.

I'm not fully 100% of this but it's the bump table rule.

I had a smash last night that hit the table, went past my opponent but I would say before it actually make its 2nd bounce on the floor making it my point, I bumped the table.

I'm guessing it'd still be their point even though the ball was well beyond them?

What would have happened if say the ball hits the floor and a second later i then bump the table? My point then right?

Just curious. Thanks to anyone who knows.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Pretty simple question here I'm sure some of you will know.

I'm not fully 100% of this but it's the bump table rule.

I had a smash last night that hit the table, went past my opponent but I would say before it actually make its 2nd bounce on the floor making it my point, I bumped the table.

I'm guessing it'd still be their point even though the ball was well beyond them?

What would have happened if say the ball hits the floor and a second later i then bump the table? My point then right?

Just curious. Thanks to anyone who knows.
You physically moved the table?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
You physically moved the table?

yes the table did scoot a pinch when i bumped it.

It was in doubles and just a club night so they were nice and gave the point to myself & my teammate saying we earned it but by the letter of the law, it's my guess we would have really lost that.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
yes the table did scoot a pinch when i bumped it.

It was in doubles and just a club night so they were nice and gave the point to myself & my teammate saying we earned it but by the letter of the law, it's my guess we would have really lost that.

Maybe. There isn't a volley rule so most people accept the point is over once the ball is past them.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You gotta look at definition of POINT. If point is awarded, then contact of table occurs, then our ttd member gets the point. The ball must have bounced on opponents side and hit opponent/floor/umpire/spectator, or their lunch... before the table movement occured.

As our ttd member described, it appears the table was moved while the ball was still in play, so he shoulda lost the point.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The most common situation is a player smashes and ball hits opponent... and also bumps/moves table.

It would require judgment to discern what happened first...

Usually, if it is too close to tell, point goes to other player/team... not to player/team who moved table.

In USA, we hold official matches without umpires over 99 percent of the time and it is up to the players to handle things themselves.

If a player refused to accept an outcome and wants to dispute, the player could locate the refferee... often the referee would declare a let if things are not clear... if both players agree the table movement and ball striking opponent after bouncing on table both happened pretty fast... the point might be awarded to opponent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Played Mark Berg ... I'm slowly getting there ... 5, -13, -15, -8 I may have the scores wrong, but it's close enough to real scores. Despite the loss, I made some improvement, which is all I want. Not looking to beat him per se.

Played my friend that other members say I should beat but he just out steadies me and lets me make mistakes. All he does is return my ball. Periodically if he gets a ball in his comfort zone, he will attack. I usually set up smashes and lose 3-0 or 3-1. Tonight decided to loop more than smash. For some reason I have Chuck Knoblauch syndrome when trying to loop during games. In practice I'm as smooth as I can be but during game, i choke during my FH stroke and flare elbows or don't whip fast enough or don't follow through.

I lost 3-0 but i felt better cos I was making more fh loops. Strange, in practice I'm 1500 or so. In gameplay, I'm 1200 LOL

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi