Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
The kids I was playing with in the same team will move one division higher and without training I am not enough.
I might play with the other adult players and in the same league as last year, but we lack players and even if we find new players, two player in the team would only win 25-35%. It's very sad, because the last 6!!!! team will fall of to a disappointingly low division. One solution is to ask my coach to lend me to another team for one season, as I got invited into a higher division to a team which has a pretty good chance to win.
I suspect that the level will be too high for my ex-teammate kids and after one season they will fall back. The main reason is that my replacement will be a considerably weaker little guy, only 9 years old or so. He trains hard and talented, but simply too young.
Another solution would be to go to training every day and beat the hell out of all my ex-teammates and then the coaching staff might consider me "worthy". :p It's reasonable, the problem is, that I have more than one people in my surroundings who are endangered by the coronavirus due to respiratory conditions.

I will train hard at home and aim to reach the second solution!!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
AJ,

The relegation thing at first look may appear to be unfair, but it motivates individuals/teams and sorts out the chaff. Now that chaff may turn into good beans too... and relegation and reforming team from lower level going up only strengthens things over all.

I think it is a better system than fixed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
The kids I was playing with in the same team will move one division higher and without training I am not enough.
I might play with the other adult players and in the same league as last year, but we lack players and even if we find new players, two player in the team would only win 25-35%. It's very sad, because the last 6!!!! team will fall of to a disappointingly low division. One solution is to ask my coach to lend me to another team for one season, as I got invited into a higher division to a team which has a pretty good chance to win.
I suspect that the level will be too high for my ex-teammate kids and after one season they will fall back. The main reason is that my replacement will be a considerably weaker little guy, only 9 years old or so. He trains hard and talented, but simply too young.
Another solution would be to go to training every day and beat the hell out of all my ex-teammates and then the coaching staff might consider me "worthy". :p It's reasonable, the problem is, that I have more than one people in my surroundings who are endangered by the coronavirus due to respiratory conditions.

I will train hard at home and aim to reach the second solution!!

The kids will learn a lot from taking a beating in a higher division. Most likely they will improve greatly throughout the season and start beating some teams at the end of it. I think that you should follow them to the higher division to provide stability. Kids are amazing at improving.

Reactions: ajtatosmano2
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Just before we shut down all activities, my neck hernia flared up. I had hoped it would have quieted down as we cautiously consider recommencement, but it didn't. With all hospitals effectively shut down for months already I've been waiting for what now already seems like ages to me to see a neurologist. The longer this lasts the more doubtful I'm becoming about ever be able to play again.

Reactions: ajtatosmano2
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
sorry yoass i hope it will get better

as for me i saw the doc for my knee, it seems its only an inflammation, so its not that bad (yet).
i was relieved and saw my coach on Friday, but it was too adventurous. My knee was too uncomfortable to be able to play correctly so i spent most of the session improving over-the-table techniques: short push/receive (=="stop") , long push = "tsutsuki", FH and BH flick and receive v short serves.

Finally i'm happy with it because i found some new sensations, that i hope i will not forget. because the quality of those shots improved a lot during the session. Notably i realized that using a small impulsion from the upper body to play those shots helped a lot especially against underspin balls.

I also realized that my error rate went down a lot when i was patient and looked at the ball UNTIL i contacted it. Notably when receiving its still difficult for me to judge the ball just from the server's motion and impact, the longer i look at the ball the better i can judge the spin and trajectory and make a good contact.

being able to recover very quickly as soon as I hit the ball when serving is also crucial, it can give the extra tenths of seconds that change everything

finally, of course having the correct stance is absolutely necessary as always.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
I had a funny moment last week. One of my training partners suffers from tennis elbow. Our Indian coach who considers himself a bit of a yogi examined her lower arm and then pressed on some kind of trigger point close to the elbow. She screamed like hell. I asked him to try the same on me and I almost fainted from the pain. Quite interesting as I have no issue with tennis elbow what so ever. He basically told me that it will happen to me soon.
After what he did to you, I'd be surprised if it didn't!

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Received a few new tables (Bty Centerfold) at the club and could not resist unboxing them.

As they stood there seductively, i was tempted beyond the point of resistance and hit a few balls. At first I stuck to my BH, which is far less hindered by my neck hernia than my FH.

Yet when I practiced serves and receives and automatically started opening up with my FH that went much better than I feared. Yay.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
The kids will learn a lot from taking a beating in a higher division. Most likely they will improve greatly throughout the season and start beating some teams at the end of it. I think that you should follow them to the higher division to provide stability. Kids are amazing at improving.
I can only be a replacement player in the current state of things, unless I can give an impression good enough to our coach. After the first session since covid I am positive about that. The training at home gave enough advantage that even with 0 minutes of training at table, I was able to beat some players who usually won against me (and could train in the last month). Tactics and footwork training does wonders,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I had the first training session in the last 5 months. It felt like heaven. I played with a borrowed bat and it was surprizingly good, given how worn it was. The guy who gave me explained why it had the smell of a christmas cake and I was Shocked. The cientists at Butterfly Fear this method because they might lose their job. You can learn this Secret now if you Follow those instructions... ;)
Seriously, he boosted the hell out of ancient worn rubbers and they just worked. He claimed that the booster effect lasts at least 4 months if they are handled properly. To my request, he gave me apprenticeship and introduced me to the Dark Arts...I will experiment in the next week and we shall see if thy wonder happens.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have had opponent CHO some stuff that would get them into some deep kimchi trouble if they were not in a public space with witnesses present.

Yet, in this vid, I think your practice partner is not CHOing in that disreseptful way. I believe he is letting a little comic out.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. If it is comedy, for fun, then not a big deal. But I have seen guys do it for real in a match. And those people would be the first to complain if someone else did it to them. :)

So, context is important. And it seems your training partner is having some fun. Just like when he says "cheater" on your nice down the line shot. You can hear in his voice he is joking around.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Today I played against a second division kid (in reality he is more suited for playing in the third div).
I barely slept, so I got exhausted really fast, probably being extremely hot in the room didn't help. After a few drills we played 10 sets and he won 6-4, all but one set ended at 11-9 or above. At that level he shouldn't make so many unforced errors, but I tried to play unexpected shots and disguise the amount spin and I think this caused many of those mistakes. Overall, I am happy with the results, even if I played dirty.
Regarding what should be improved (I will be a bit long but I think it's easier to understand them when I write it down):
Endurance: once I got tired, my old bad habits reappear.
Backhand openings: often I am not committed for a firm backhand opening and when I decide, I have to rush. This is true for both over the table flicks and normal opening loops.
Backhand block against opening loops: I commit many errors due to bad timing when I block a spinny opening loop. I am much better a step further from the table but my FH counterloops/drives are better when I stay close.
BH-FH transition: My hands are slippery. Switching to FH grip isn't automatic always and I lose focus. Instead now I experiment with using only FH grip. Probably I should find a blade that is more comfortable but I don't have the budget and I love the speed and feeling of my blade.
FH finisher in open play: Opening loop - spinny loop - miss. A very common sequence in my matches that. Not every opponent can be beaten with mild loops. I am solid far from the table but in mid range when I have to finish a point I miss the finisher. I blame the too wild arm movements and bad contact point. In matches I lose my stability and have to reach out. Better endurance and footwork should help.
EDIT: I just realized I could record myself. Next time I will for sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yeah. If it is comedy, for fun, then not a big deal. But I have seen guys do it for real in a match. And those people would be the first to complain if someone else did it to them. :)

So, context is important. And it seems your training partner is having some fun. Just like when he says "cheater" on your nice down the line shot. You can hear in his voice he is joking around.

The other part that goes unmentioned is that he blocked all her dangerous loops for a while and then he wins on an edge. Maybe he usually doesn't get to do that. Does he now not celebrate just because the last shot was a net/edge? TT etiquette is tough like that.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Anybody else here experience people saying "cho" after a net ball? ;)

The other part that goes unmentioned is that he blocked all her dangerous loops for a while and then he wins on an edge. Maybe he usually doesn't get to do that. Does he now not celebrate just because the last shot was a net/edge? TT etiquette is tough like that.

And it seems you guys have a very nice dynamic while training. It is great to find a good training partner you can work with like that. :)

And all those loops are really nice, spinny, and as NextLevel says, Dangerous. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: SkySowers