Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Went to the club last night ... hit for 2 hrs or so with 2 breaks in between. Didn't play any matches. Just hit.

Didn't hit or block well with the Nexy Amazon: the few months off and/or it's time to change the rubber. Tested more with the American Hinoki CPen with Tenergy sheets. Although the blade is noticeably smaller than other CPen rackets i'm comfortable with, I seemed to hit decently with it. Also tried using it as a SH and it was decent for me. M2 saw me and said i should convert to SH lol

I seemed to be ok with the weight of the 2 inverted and american hinoki blade. Wrist didn't hurt. Not sure if that is a factor of not having played in a few months or if i didn't play long enough. Additionally, i didn't try too many RPB loops.

As i was about to leave, a gentleman said hi to me. I didn't recognize him at first, but after 10 seconds or so, I recognized him. I didn't want him to tell me his name, but after maybe 30 seconds i could not recall his name. He told me his name was M.H. and memories came flooding back of 30+ yrs ago! He used to play in the old Firehouse TT club in Chinatown (Lafayette and White Streets). We chatted briefly as I had to go home. Other members of my current club that also played in the 1980's Firehouse club: Mark Berg, Horace the chopper, and an older gentleman - Thomas.

Hope to see MH next time and can catch up more!

cache.php

6 tables - 2 per garage bays - the memories of an old man reminiscing about his youth lol

Awesome that the same players always come back up. I love hearing that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
My club is moving to another room in the same complex on Monday. We are down sizing from 11 playing tables to 6 playing tables and all kinds of new rules to reducing coaching, practicing and other types of table domination during club hours will be installed. It is going to be tough to go from playing in a club where you felt you could get a table anytime you wanted to to playing in a club where you feel it you have to wait in line for a table to practice.

My main student has a table in his house so it is likely that most of my coaching with him will be at his place, after which we will likely drive out to the club to play. We both live about 5 mins or so from each other so it is easier.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
My club is moving to another room in the same complex on Monday. We are down sizing from 11 playing tables to 6 playing tables and all kinds of new rules to reducing coaching, practicing and other types of table domination during club hours will be installed. It is going to be tough to go from playing in a club where you felt you could get a table anytime you wanted to to playing in a club where you feel it you have to wait in line for a table to practice.

My main student has a table in his house so it is likely that most of my coaching with him will be at his place, after which we will likely drive out to the club to play. We both live about 5 mins or so from each other so it is easier.

sorry to hear your club is shrinking in that way. this really discourages new players from wanting to get into the game. Our club went the opposite direction and became more welcoming to new players by expanding, but the skill of the better players slowed with this a bit.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015

Bummer... Financial reasons, I presume?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Bummer... Financial reasons, I presume?

Yes and no. MY club is here. When the camera moves, you will be able to compare the new space.

https://video.nest.com/embedded/live/0PC1sy?autoplay=1"

The club signed a 10 year lease with its current space at below market rates in 2011 with a termination out for the landlord after 5 years. It seems that it took him a year after the out to find someone who wanted the club's space and was willing to pay significantly more than the club was paying. The landlord offered the club another place within the complex and some money to fix it up. From what I have heard, the space is better but smaller and court size does matter in TT.

The problem with TT in the USA is the dollar demand is not enough to cover the rent. It gives you an idea of how pathetic we are in terms of dollar demand compared to tennis or golf.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Today I played alot compared to usual.

Before going to club, I invited my friend to my house and we did some warming up, and with the limited space in my house, one person can do the heavy duty (i.e. looping), while the other person practice blocking at very close distance to the table (due to space).

Then I went to club. I played a doubles, which we won.
Then to the singles, I played with a veteran who used to compete in HK when he was in his high school years. Beat him 2-0 but first game I only won by duece. He does serve with his hand covering the ball, so it took me a few balls to realize the spin on some of his serves in the first game.

Then I went to play another doubles with completely different players. We were down 0-2, but came back to level it up at 2-2, I did alot of the rpb banana flick, and it feels really easy when it was player 1 serving reverse spin. To my astonishment, I was able to direct the ball at my will as to whether it goes down the line or cross court, so I was happy, as I have never had that feeling before, and I always had the problem of only getting the ball to go down the line instead of cross court (fh side to fh side).

I then play a best of 3 with my friend who earlier came to my house and warm up. I took the first game, but he took the 2nd game. Then I barely won the 3rd game 11-9, with a rpb banana flick in the last point that hit the net but landed..

Then I play another best of 3 with another friend. Again I took the 1st game, but I lost the 2nd game which I should not have... I was too careless and too comfortable that I will win it, and ended up losing crucial point on serve, and then he took it with a shot that hit the net but still landed. In the 3rd game, he had a great start, taking 5 points in a row. Down from 0-5, it progressed to a 1-7 deficit. I tried to clear my head, managed to level it back to 7-7. But then it was just us winning 1 point each, then to 9:9, I lost 2 points while he served. :( So I had a loss 2:1.
But this loss made me realize something. When I re-watch the video, I realized at game 3 9:9, I lost the 2 points in exactly the same way, and I mean, the balls were directed at the same place, in the same manner! He serve, I chop, he chop, I chop, then he attack... So instead of my 2nd chop, I think I will definitely need to change it to attack with either my rpb or my fh loop.

After those games, I am tired, so I headed home and ate probably too much for dinner.

This user has no status.
went to play as well today. I am back from Europe, but not too much jet lagged. Still i was very tired, and played worse than on Thursday. In less than 2 hours, my legs were hurting a lot. Anyway i can see what i need to improve. I lack rhythm and i need a few running sessions and resume my weekly 1:1 lessons with my coaches. I feel making it twice a week would improve things a lot, but I don't know if i have the time (and budget) for it. I played with a 70 yo veteran and I looked more tired than him...

I also need to change my rubbers, they're totally dead, and even damaged, i think my racket doesn't follow the rules...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Are you using Spin Art for backhand or forehand ? How is compared to Tenergy 05 ?

Playing a little more would help you get back your form and also help you get rid of your jet lag quickly ... its been very effective for me when I get back from country which has a 12 hour difference from here ..

went to play as well today. I am back from Europe, but not too much jet lagged. Still i was very tired, and played worse than on Thursday. In less than 2 hours, my legs were hurting a lot. Anyway i can see what i need to improve. I lack rhythm and i need a few running sessions and resume my weekly 1:1 lessons with my coaches. I feel making it twice a week would improve things a lot, but I don't know if i have the time (and budget) for it. I played with a 70 yo veteran and I looked more tired than him...

I also need to change my rubbers, they're totally dead, and even damaged, i think my racket doesn't follow the rules...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Played well overall today. Lost to a 1750ish guy though. My pride got in the way. I kept telling myself that I was better than him and kept looping a bit too strong at him even though he was completely looking for the blocks to win the point. I refused to think I could lose to him if I just played that style. I failed to see that I was giving him what he wanted. Should have slowed down T.T

However, those losses are somehow more enjoyable to me. If I lose to someone I learn a lot more and it's exciting to be learning. If I beat a player, I just shrug it off as me playing good that day or being better than them and don't reflect as much.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Got 16 hrs sleep in the last 24 somehow, almost a work weeks worth of sleep, woke up crappy and what the heck, went to the local full time club... for 8 hrs. Not sore yet, but I always say I can worry about that kinda stuff tomorrow. 30 yrs of a tough job really grind down my hips, I always feel it there every time I get up after I sit down.

This user has no status.
Are you using Spin Art for backhand or forehand ? How is compared to Tenergy 05 ?

Playing a little more would help you get back your form and also help you get rid of your jet lag quickly ... its been very effective for me when I get back from country which has a 12 hour difference from here ..

hiya. I use SpinArt for my BH. I believe T05 and SpinArt are actually very close, but i feel SpinArt is a tad slower, especially on flat hits. for Topspin, i felt i had to use a little bit more my body to get the same effect than my T80. I was more consistent with blocking with SpinArt, but its because i'm used to it. For opening BH loop or serve, i felt it was almost the same than my T80. Looking at the charts from Butterfly site, you can see that SpinArt imparts as much spin than Tenergys but is just a little tad slower.

TBH in yesterdays session, it was not about jetlag at all, it was about the lack of training. from training 5x / week to 5x last month, something needs to give.
I've ran today and I'm optimistic it will quick get better. I've watched a lot the pros at the Asian champs and I'm quite excited about hitting the ball more properly again.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
Got 16 hrs sleep in the last 24 somehow, almost a work weeks worth of sleep, woke up crappy and what the heck, went to the local full time club... for 8 hrs. Not sore yet, but I always say I can worry about that kinda stuff tomorrow. 30 yrs of a tough job really grind down my hips, I always feel it there every time I get up after I sit down.
16 hours of sleep and 8 hours of table tennis? Sounds like something I would do if I had a venue to play in during weekends. That's living the life, I tell ya. ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks Takkyu for all the info. I was actually thinking of putting it in place of DHS Hurricane 8 mid soft on my forehand

hiya. I use SpinArt for my BH. I believe T05 and SpinArt are actually very close, but i feel SpinArt is a tad slower, especially on flat hits. for Topspin, i felt i had to use a little bit more my body to get the same effect than my T80. I was more consistent with blocking with SpinArt, but its because i'm used to it. For opening BH loop or serve, i felt it was almost the same than my T80. Looking at the charts from Butterfly site, you can see that SpinArt imparts as much spin than Tenergys but is just a little tad slower.

TBH in yesterdays session, it was not about jetlag at all, it was about the lack of training. from training 5x / week to 5x last month, something needs to give.
I've ran today and I'm optimistic it will quick get better. I've watched a lot the pros at the Asian champs and I'm quite excited about hitting the ball more properly again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
I just watched an old recording of me playing. Its just about 1 year old. I think its safe to say i made some progress since :)

For giggels: 2.36 :D

Unfortunately I don't have any recent recordings. I just played a big two day tournament, including wild camping in the woods and me beating my highest ranked opponent so far.
He has 1120 Swiss tt rating points, which translates roughly into 1900-2000 usttr. He is ranked in the top 800 in Switzerland with me being ranked around 2000 atm.

Cheers

Last edited: