Read 8 reviews
New Year, new rubbers.
Happy New Year everyone!

f.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
My contact depth even for spin has always been relatively deep and with my knees I might need to push a lot. I am experimenting though so it will be a while before I can say I am done with the process.

Fastarc G1 is a special rubber. I can guess why I never tried it in the past (it was Nittaku expensive) but if you don't like Tenergy and you like the Hexer/Genius/Baracuda generation, this is definitely the best of the bunch.

I tried it on Hinoki Ghost and on my Akkad - I am more used to it on my Akkad because my Akkad is linear but I will give it some work on my Hinoki Ghost as well. There is a 4 for roughly $125 deal on tabletennis11 for fastarc g1. I am not trying anything else this year unless a coach forces me too. The spin is really good. Because it is a hard rubber, the hard outer play of the Akkad gives great bite. But it has an interesting Hinoki grab that might be borderline excessive. But I want to try it and see where it goes.

I played a few matches today and despite lacking movement did okay. I have decided I am going to push long and learn to defend strong openings for the next month even if it costs me matches. Blocking spiny balls odd the table is not the way to go.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
So I am on vacation and have not been able to check TTD for a while, does not mean you guys are going to make fun of me in my absence... it just isn't fair :mad: ... nor can I make any sense of what is going on here ... @Der_Echte ... can you please refresh my memory before you start on your Goon Squad mission to take out what remains of Michael Mazes Knee cartileges ?
Der,

You mean the "ttmonster special":

LOLOLOL

;)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Nah, someone else suggested that M. Maze visit/mission... that would involve some additional travel expenses that I have not allocated.

You know how Der_Echte rolls... I would rather cause trouble locally first... for free or minimal expense. Win - Win for all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Went to my local club today after work.
Also my first time playing with my new rubbers.
I focused on improving my forehand, trying to change my stroke to having a more forward stroke.
I think I made some progress, one rally had more than 50 hits.
But perhaps I was too tired to begin with, ended up hitting the edge of the table with the racket, and left a dent... I died a little inside.
But apart from that, I played some doubles. Despite not having a proper bh warm up, it was working wonders again. Banana flicks and loops surprised my opponents.
I will continue to work on my forehand more, hopefully my bh won't deteriorate because of this.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Went to my local club today after work.
Also my first time playing with my new rubbers.
I focused on improving my forehand, trying to change my stroke to having a more forward stroke.
I think I made some progress, one rally had more than 50 hits.
But perhaps I was too tired to begin with, ended up hitting the edge of the table with the racket, and left a dent... I died a little inside.
But apart from that, I played some doubles. Despite not having a proper bh warm up, it was working wonders again. Banana flicks and loops surprised my opponents.
I will continue to work on my forehand more, hopefully my bh won't deteriorate because of this.

I think that sounds good! It is important to have the racket high against topspin and come over the ball. I have problem with backhand that i go down with the racket and the ball is over the racket and i need to hit upward to be able to hit the ball. I get alot of topspin and arch with this shot but no power. I also loose alot of time and it is not necessary to have the racket down against topspin. I try instead to have the racket higher, search in the ball and then i can hit forward instead and get more power. If you look at the chinese they have the racket high to be able to play fast.

If you have time and the possibilty it would be interesting to see the forehand in action!

I do think your backhand will deteriorate a little while you are practicing alot of forehand since you are not practicing as much backhand. Atleast i feel that way, but i think it is very important to always aim to have one kind of forehand and backhand and move the legs instead. Then you only need to practice one typ of shot, that is the secret to be safe. That is why players that where good before and do not practice anymore still can loop many balls in a row. If you succeed with this your backhand will proably not need so much practice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I didn't wanted to like it but damm... it's great.

I have been playing with my homemade blades, but i always think there is something missing, some lack power away from the table, others are great for BH but not so much the FH and others the opposite. It was hard finding the balance between blades and also between blade/rubbers.

I had already tried my friend's Timo Boll ALC, but with his rubbers, two Bluestorm Z1. At the time i didn't like it at all, found it too stiff and springy. Friday i decided to give it another try, so i borrowed the blade from him and slaped a sheet of Fastarc G1 (my favorite FH rubber) and a Bluefire M2. I had a small training session before league match that day, with just a few minutes to get accustomed to the blade i played my best matches this season.

The weekend was filled with competition. I had a singles tournament saturday and a team tournament (corbillon) sunday. Saturday i played even better than the day before, passed my group in 1st and lost a very tight match against a player that went to play in the finals. Sunday we got an unlucky draw but somehow i managed to further improve my level. We passed the group in 2nd position (4 teams) just losing to a very strong asian team. In the next game my team mate, which is stronger than me, had back pain and could barely play. I played very well and lost 3-2 to one of the strongest players in the competition. A bittersweet feeling because he got a lucky point at 10-10, when i was leading 2-1 in games. It would have been a great victory. But the competition wasn't over and we still played 3 more games wining all of them.

Overall it was a great weekend, and i played like never before in my life. Was it because of the blade? I don't think it was all, but it played a very big part. I just hope i continue to improve...

Conclusion: I will to buy the Timo Boll ALC from my friend :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I didn't wanted to like it but damm... it's great.

I have been playing with my homemade blades, but i always think there is something missing, some lack power away from the table, others are great for BH but not so much the FH and others the opposite. It was hard finding the balance between blades and also between blade/rubbers.

I had already tried my friend's Timo Boll ALC, but with his rubbers, two Bluestorm Z1. At the time i didn't like it at all, found it too stiff and springy. Friday i decided to give it another try, so i borrowed the blade from him and slaped a sheet of Fastarc G1 (my favorite FH rubber) and a Bluefire M2. I had a small training session before league match that day, with just a few minutes to get accustomed to the blade i played my best matches this season.

The weekend was filled with competition. I had a singles tournament saturday and a team tournament (corbillon) sunday. Saturday i played even better than the day before, passed my group in 1st and lost a very tight match against a player that went to play in the finals. Sunday we got an unlucky draw but somehow i managed to further improve my level. We passed the group in 2nd position (4 teams) just losing to a very strong asian team. In the next game my team mate, which is stronger than me, had back pain and could barely play. I played very well and lost 3-2 to one of the strongest players in the competition. A bittersweet feeling because he got a lucky point at 10-10, when i was leading 2-1 in games. It would have been a great victory. But the competition wasn't over and we still played 3 more games wining all of them.

Overall it was a great weekend, and i played like never before in my life. Was it because of the blade? I don't think it was all, but it played a very big part. I just hope i continue to improve...

Conclusion: I will to buy the Timo Boll ALC from my friend :)

Buy it! And try it out more! I too think it can not only be the blade. What more did you do? anything different? before? during? after? less pressure because you played with another racket? interesting to think about.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Buy it! And try it out more! I too think it can not only be the blade. What more did you do? anything different? before? during? after? less pressure because you played with another racket? interesting to think about.

One thing i did different was to start my warm up very slowly, mostly because of the cold, but gradually increasing the speed and spin to get a really good feel for the ball. Then i was able to play much more relaxed, while still maintaining a good pace. The blade allows me to to that, my mentality shifts to just put spin on the ball, the speed and power comes as a consequence of that. I'm usually very consistent in training and i think my playing level is getting close to my training level, as long as my head doesn't get in the way. Also, i like to play in big open spaces, it feels like the game slows down and i have more time to execute my shots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Played last Weds against J. He is a level above me if not 2. JPenner that has a FH smash, loop and a BH smash. We have played before and he takes it easy on me knowing my game is weak but in practice I'm decent enough. Close games - won first, lost next 3 with the 3rd game ending at 18-16 or so.

A new member had next, modern PH. Nice and smooth loops both FH and RPB. Doesn't seem to RPB block or punch. He wins close games against J in 3 straight. J is about 1700 or 1800. I have never beaten J so i know this new member is roughly 1700-1800 if not 1900.

I'm next. This guy doesn't let me warm up... hits his FH to my BH and out of courtesy I return to his FH and he kills the ball. I pick up the ball and send the ball to his FH and again he returns to my BH, i return to his FH and he kills the ball. Then he says, "Let's start." I said I'm not warmed up yet, may we hit FH to FH. He gives this incredulous look. B was waiting for next and suggested he hit with me to warm up. 4 balls and dude kicks B off table and starts game.

I HAVE TO THANK THIS DUDE. HE TAUGHT ME SOMETHING. I THOUGHT I HAVE MASTERED MY EMOTIONS PRETTY WELL, BUT HE GOT ME UPSET. CLEARLY I HAVE NOT MASTERED MYSELF AND HE TAUGHT ME SOMETHING.

I could've killed the ball too during 'warmup' but I generally take the high road and not stoop to his level.

I see this dude play J and I see he has fast footwork, good smooth FH loop and can RPB loop from a few steps back. Looks like he has decent FH pendulum serves although some it seems are not legal. So I'm a little upset from lack of warmup, disrespect shown by him, and know his strokes and footwork are better than mine.

I win first game at 9, ended with decisive low and fast smash. I don't recall the next 2 games scores but i lost both and it was close enough. 4th game, i'm winning 8-2 and lost at 11-9. I lost concentration and noticed a pain in my right shoulder/deltoid. Same area that ached/hurt last year that I rested 3 or 4 months for. With no warmup I somehow aggravated it again.

Despite my loss to him, just shows you that you see someone who looks good in practice but has no game. I truly believe he underestimated me as well as overestimated himself. He probably also thought my RPB was weak as I don't always spin. I choose to angle/directional block as well as punch. Many of his loops i was able to block to where he is not and i expected his speedy footwork to get to the ball and return. Such was not the case in gameplay. I made him look bad with easy RPB block/punch on his loops and he couldn't return the ball. I made him look really bad on 3 points with a rocket serve down the line to his FH as he was standing extreme BH side ready to pivot and FH loop my serve. Got some monster smash winners in. Felt good.

I saw his look when I was winning and to serve at 8-2. Totally out of it and demoralized. But then i felt the pain and if i raised my arm to shoulder height for pendulum serve, it hurt. When i went to loop or smash it hurt.

If i play him again, I will be sure to warm up on side with shadow stroking. Despite my lack of confidence in my FH loop stroke, I made some over. "Success breeds confidence, confidence breeds success." Neglected my FH loop for about a year in trying to learn and get decent at my RPB.

Last Thurssday, shoulder/deltoid still hurting. I'm playing a match against a friend and George "Chief" Braithwaite comes over and watches/waits for next. He remembers me from back in da day of the 1980's NYC Chinatown Firehouse TT Club. Every time I see him, we chit chat a little. One of the finest gentlemen as well as TT ambassadors around. Inspirational to watch him as he is late 70's or 80 or so yrs old. He is watching me and after the match he says to me that my FH loop is bad and lacking confidence. I said he has a good eye in spotting the hesitant stroke from lack of confidence. Told him also my shoulder is hurting a bit but I neglected my FH loop in favor of training RPB. He said, "Oh no, you should be balanced." Wise words from a wise gentleman.

Played tonight. No matches. Just hit. Shoulder not as painful. Was able to work on my FH stroke/smash/loops. Overall I'm a little surprised and happy that my RPB block/punch/flat hit is getting a little more consistent. Although I'm playing mostly players my level or lower. Haven't had a chance to play members better than me. Thought I would need more time to adjust on my RPB, definitely more than a year, as I'm a slow learner and also play inconsistently, at best i get to play 3x a week, but sometimes it's just 1 or 2x only. I have not really tried to TPB block/punch in some time. The rare few times, perhaps due to my current grip, I would pop the ball off the table.

The match last week vs that dude (who is at least my level or 1 better than me) showed me that my RPB block/punch is able to handle some pressure/speed/spin and has improved finally. Work in progress. Take it one stroke at a time. Still not at a skill level where I will only play games. Still need to practice. But my current club, a City Recreation Center with many members makes it hard to be able to just practice and usually forced to play matches.[/COLOR]

Thank you DTT CCers for reading all that if you did!

P.S. SHOUTOUT TO NEXTLEVEL!!!

AGAINST J. AND THAT DUDE, I BELIEVE I'M SERVING NO SPIN AND MAKING IT LOOK LIKE MY PENDULUM SERVE AND IT WON ME SOME EASY POINTS WITH EITHER THEM POPPING IT OFF THE TABLE OR JUST POPPING UP RESULTING IN EASY ATTACK WINNER FOR ME. Sorry for all-caps. I set them up with spinny serves so they expect spinny serves and i give them a nospin serve. This is a breakthrough/revelation for my game and perhaps has let my game ... wait for it ... wait for it... get to the next level! LOL at me!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I'm next. This guy doesn't let me warm up... hits his FH to my BH and out of courtesy I return to his FH and he kills the ball. I pick up the ball and send the ball to his FH and again he returns to my BH, i return to his FH and he kills the ball. Then he says, "Let's start." I said I'm not warmed up yet, may we hit FH to FH. He gives this incredulous look. B was waiting for next and suggested he hit with me to warm up. 4 balls and dude kicks B off table and starts game.

I HAVE TO THANK THIS DUDE. HE TAUGHT ME SOMETHING. I THOUGHT I HAVE MASTERED MY EMOTIONS PRETTY WELL, BUT HE GOT ME UPSET. CLEARLY I HAVE NOT MASTERED MYSELF AND HE TAUGHT ME SOMETHING.

I could've killed the ball too during 'warmup' but I generally take the high road and not stoop to his level.

I see this dude play J and I see he has fast footwork, good smooth FH loop and can RPB loop from a few steps back. Looks like he has decent FH pendulum serves although some it seems are not legal. So I'm a little upset from lack of warmup, disrespect shown by him, and know his strokes and footwork are better than mine.

Dude, this is my least favorite kind of person.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
@oldschoolpenholder!

It is good that you win when there is a game, that is the most important. When i played active and competitions i always wanted to look pretty bad at the warm up, but have crazy good serves and returns so it is little play and i win because of that. Of course i want it to look nice when i warm up to, but i would be fun if the opponent think like "this will be easy", then you crush them in serve and return haha.

I also have some troubles with my shoulder. I find it very important to warm up properly and work out with rubber band works fine. Do you do this?

If you want to develop the technique i do not think it is any disadvantage to play against players your level or lower. It is difficult to work on the strokes when you play against better players. I am a part time coach, and i often see that we pick up players too fast to the best last group and their developement suffer because they have trouble working with the technique since the exercises is sometimes to difficult and they play better opponents and it goes just to fast. I think they would become better in the long run if they stayed longer in the middle group where it is easier to work on the strokes. But i agree that it is good to play against better players, it can be difficult otherwise to be able to match the tempo and quality of serve and returns. I feel that especially the quality of serve and returns is much much higher, and it is proably this which is the most important to develop if we want to win games. We win games on the boring stuff, not the cool stuff like loop loop. it is to bad that alot of my students think short to short pushes is useless while it is exactly the opposite in my opinion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Just cough... quickly say Arschloch … cough quickly again.

is it possible to study German in Korean schools? seems so far away haha. or how come you know german? and again, proably not my business but how come you have what seems to be a german nickname?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
is it possible to study German in Korean schools? seems so far away haha. or how come you know german? and again, proably not my business but how come you have what seems to be a german nickname?

Der_Echte is American, but spent quite some time in Germany (and Korea too) - I guess that's where he got infected with TT virus :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I have not so much to do today, i am bored so i write to much here haha. Please say stop if its to much. I would like to share that i played my first competition since like almost 7-10 years last sunday. it was fun! It was not a real tournament, but more like a fun one were you only play doubles. I played with my friend Johan! We played pretty good and came at 4th place. I think we should be happy with that since Johan is not as good as those we lost against, they play some divisions higher than him. Johan had also not practiced much during christmas and i had practiced to much so i had shoulder problems. Pretty comical really. Those we lost against have played alot together aswell, almost 15 years since they started in the same club and johan and i had never played a ball together.

I think i will try to play it again next year. It is fun to play doubles because you do not play that so much. I will also consider starting playing some more. Unfortunally i must have played to much or something since after the tournament my left foot become very swollen and still is, and i have trouble walking on it. Have anyone experienced something like this? very strange! So i can not practice at the moment which is boring, but i think it will be good again after some rest so will be at the table soon again :)