Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi MZ,

This was a TEAMS tourney at a huge San Fran club - 888TTC.

The field was comprised of 56 teams in 6 divisions 8 teams per division. Each team had 3-5 players on the roster. The bottom ranked teams in each division (except bottom div) played on team vs team match vs one of the top teams from the next lower division to see if that team would stay in ranked div or go down a div (bottom team would move up a div if they won).

There were 7 team vs team matches in each division to see who would finish places 1-4 for prizes. Each team vs team match would have 3 players identified to play in A-B-C vs X-Y-Z format first 6 matches singles to see who would win 4 matches to win the team vs team matchup... there would be a doubles match with 2 of the 3 players identified from the team vs team matchup to see who would win doubles and the matchup.

This tourney was a lot of fun and serious competition that is way different from a singles or doubles tourney. Each match had meaning... and if your other team player was doing well in his/her match, you were not under pressure and can play free, but if you cannot rely on other team player to win, you are under immense pressure to win. Much different dynamic and much suspense each match with much emotion and change of momentum.

You also got a chance to play on a table next to pros and maybe in between matches watch pros play.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I kindly request members post clipart and memes of UNPLANNED DISMOUNTS. I am so deserving of every clipart and meme.

I was on my way to the Russian Church for TT, completed 29 of 30 miles on the bike, rode down a large avenue I never took before... and at a high rate of speed (near 40 kpm) struck a nearly invisible curb (made of asphalt same color as road and no barrier/signage) and experienced an epic unplanned dismount. My fault for riding fast on a route I never went on, bad practice there.

I became an Airborne Ranger for 2.5 seconds, then impacted the pavement in a prone position head first. I managed to tuck in chin to chest and bend at waist enough to have my hard-azz helmet wearing head take the first heavy impact, slid along ground 1 second on helmet, then stopped the rest of my energy motion by dragging shoulder and bare knee along rough pavement. Got cut to bone.

Basically, I had a short, one-sided fight with pavement that I decisively LOST. If I did not wear a helmet, it coulda gotten way worse. I ended up playing TT 4 hours at half power, got Sergey Scoobie Doo to load my disassembled bike into his trunk of hiz sedan and got a ride home. Fortunately, this spill did not aggrevate my Gade II MCL tear that is healing and at 55% and improving. I can wear Berkenstock sandles and play without explosion if I slide step.

I am hurting everywhere and cannot lift arms to shoulder thigh. In a big world of hurt. I expect the bruising and soreness and strains to lessen after a few days and be mostly gone in a week or so. I have to pay attention to my knee scrape, it was real bad, need to ensure it doesn't get infected and get Sepsis and Septic Schock. That would be bad news. many people die that way not paying enough attention to infection. 250k die of septic shock per year in USA, I gotta make sure I do not go there. One of my TT friends had his dad die a few years ago of septic shock from an infection, that ironically, originated in his knee.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Sorry to hear about your accident Der, hope you recover quickly.

Helmet done it’s job nicely, probably best to replace after such a hard impact.

I haven’t ‘played’ TT for about 2 months now, due to a knee injury, cartilage inflamed and muscle spasm’s to leg around the knee probably caused by back issues.
Done some ball feeding over the last couple of weeks when coaching but that’s been about it.
Gonna be another month or so minimum until healed . Knees can be really shitty to deal with, as I’m finding out. So Defo keep your knee UNDER CLOSE SURVEILLANCE,

Anyway, I’m off to see if I can find some Fail Army bike fail specials!!! OUCH!! THATS JUST GOTTA HURT!!!!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Ouch.. sounds painful.

I do admire your dedication to continue playing TT after the accident, but playing TT while you are not at your best state makes you even more prone to further injury..

My friend had a bike accident this year, and suffered a finger fracture where the bone was pointing out of his skin. He ended up having to do surgery for it and couldn't ride the bike for a few months after.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
I kindly request members post clipart and memes of UNPLANNED DISMOUNTS. I am so deserving of every clipart and meme.

I was on my way to the Russian Church for TT, completed 29 of 30 miles on the bike, rode down a large avenue I never took before... and at a high rate of speed (near 40 kpm) struck a nearly invisible curb (made of asphalt same color as road and no barrier/signage) and experienced an epic unplanned dismount. My fault for riding fast on a route I never went on, bad practice there.

I became an Airborne Ranger for 2.5 seconds, then impacted the pavement in a prone position head first. I managed to tuck in chin to chest and bend at waist enough to have my hard-azz helmet wearing head take the first heavy impact, slid along ground 1 second on helmet, then stopped the rest of my energy motion by dragging shoulder and bare knee along rough pavement. Got cut to bone.

Basically, I had a short, one-sided fight with pavement that I decisively LOST. If I did not wear a helmet, it coulda gotten way worse. I ended up playing TT 4 hours at half power, got Sergey Scoobie Doo to load my disassembled bike into his trunk of hiz sedan and got a ride home. Fortunately, this spill did not aggrevate my Gade II MCL tear that is healing and at 55% and improving. I can wear Berkenstock sandles and play without explosion if I slide step.

I am hurting everywhere and cannot lift arms to shoulder thigh. In a big world of hurt. I expect the bruising and soreness and strains to lessen after a few days and be mostly gone in a week or so. I have to pay attention to my knee scrape, it was real bad, need to ensure it doesn't get infected and get Sepsis and Septic Schock. That would be bad news. many people die that way not paying enough attention to infection. 250k die of septic shock per year in USA, I gotta make sure I do not go there. One of my TT friends had his dad die a few years ago of septic shock from an infection, that ironically, originated in his knee.
Wishing you health

it sounds like a bad accident, definitely seek some medical attention.

im surprised with how bad it sounded that you still played. This surely can’t be good for you if you keep at it. Take it safe! I’m sure you know that TT for 4 hours isn’t worth a lifetime w/o it.

speedy recovery der! o/

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Thanks everyone, still can barely lift arms to shoulders today, 2 days after, but I expect that kind of muscle/joint stuff to be better next week. It is the knee scrape I gotta make sure doesn't turn into sepsis - that is the larger risk. That cheepo helmet I wore did more than its job. No bones are broken, I do not feel any grade II tears of any muscles or tendons or ligaments. I got off easy.

I will get better. Should be able to walk half normal next week and be able to at least make coffee. If I do not have any grade II tears, I will back playing in Birkenstock sandles. Why? The sandles allow my plant leg to pivot as I apply force and it is easy on my MCL injury. Another 2 weeks and the MCL will prolly be 70%+, almost enough to wear shoes and try stuff out. I will prolly be more conservative and give that another 2 weeks.

Sergey Tsos had my back and got me home, I wasn't in any shape to do another 30 mile ride that moment.

This user has no status.

My sincerest condolences.
Do watch out for the knee wound, infections are not nice things.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
That sounds like a bike fall I experienced a few years ago. I was returning home from table tennis practice, when I came across a newly installed bike lane/pedestrian path next to the road I was on. It was not yet finished, so the transition from the road to the path was not smooth. There was a 2 inch vertical rise, which, in the dark, I didn't see.

Result bike went from under me, hands went out to stop fall. Cuts and grazes all over my hands and knees. Very sore playing-hand wrist. And then my faith in humanity was restored in two distinct ways.

First, a van travelling behind me stopped to see if I was OK. I was in shock, I now realise. I told the driver I was more or less intact, but he insisted on loading me and my bike into his van and taking me home. So, many thanks to that guy, because I may not have made it otherwise, certainly not with the bike.

Second, as I vaguely wandered around the house trying to find and apply first aid (still in shock), I decided it would be better to go see a doctor. So for some reason, I walked to a nearby supermarket, which I will name as Tesco. Not only did they immediately find their own first aid people, who then spent quite some time cleaning and dressing the wounds, but they also suggested that the wrist was broken, not just bruised, and called transport to get me to the hospital. So, many thanks due there also.

The wrist was indeed broken, so I was given a temporary cast to allow time for swelling to reduce, and I underwent surgery a couple of days later, and had steel pins fitted. It killed table tennis for a while, but I was back playing before the final cast was removed. But the wrist flexibility never fully returned.

• Wow
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Bad break Darcula...

Sounds like wrist got cracked from trying to brace fall or got pinwheel whipped during fall and impacted ground.

When I was a young pre-teen, I was crazy and decided to run like a dog with my brother across everyone's front yard to get back home after it got dark.. I was hauling azz picking them up and putting them down... I flew across the yards and had a big lead on my brother.. at the last house, I failed to remember that they had guy lines supporting a new tree, so of course I caught my foot on one of those and flew a few seconds impacting ground like a clock hand foot to arms extended... my arm crashed into the driveway and I earned a broken wrist. (playing hand)

Fortunately, once it healed up to 50%+, I started swinging plastic bat and played wiffle ball while still in cast progressively going for more as it felt better. That might have been good rehab exercise, I got full range of motion and strengthening without putting huge load on wrist.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Update, today is 5th day aftermath. left shoulder is still very sprained, but improving every day. I couldn't lift hand shoulder high until day 3 late. I impacted right side of head and right shoulder (still got huge scrape there) I played a couple hours goofing of at JZ's gym (they setup tables once a week for 3 hrs) played in fake Birkenstocks. I will not dare to wear shoes for another two weeks - the MCL tear now feels 70% and now no pain or aches after testing. All in all, I could move when I wanted to, but I was trying to avoid explosive movement and just use slide step in sandles to get to position. Due to left shoulder, my FH was maybe at 80% - I never realize how much you need your non-hitting shoulder and how much power/energy flows through there.

I think it will be another week before the shoulder gets to 70%. I will accept that any day given the impact I had with asphalt that day.

I am still feeling the bruises and discovering new places I bruised myself. Those will be pretty much gone in 2 weeks. I lucked out.

PBP correctly assesses the multi deep knee scrape as the largest threat and area of concern. So far, the injury site has shrunken and several of the deep cuts are mending naturally just fine. Still have one large gash remaining. I did well in my day zero and follow up days to keep it clean, irrigated, and treated/covered. The next few days will be telling - I will know if what I did got me on the right track to healing or not. Looks real good so far, but you really get to see some ugly stuff with ripped skin like that a week later (which is in a few days). We had some iodine at Church on day zero, I also took a lot of time washing it and made an improvised dressing with clean paper towels and gorilla tape. (that stuff is truly multi-purpose). First night was a new dressing coated wounds with honey and vasoline jelly. Got some anti-bacteria ointment and been cleaning site and replacing dressing a few times a day. The next few days will give me more clues.

I expect to be on top of it and get over it. All in all, I got of real easy with that crash. Coulda been way worse. If I can keep the wound from getting sepsis, I will get out of this fine and that is way too lucky for me given that impact with hard road. Anyone who has seen vids of me or seen pics or seen me in real life knows that I am not a lightweight division dude. I am closer to age 85 than I am to 20, so I was real lucky..

I got new helmet coming in today, replacement brake handle in next few days. (I cracked the old one - it might still protect, but WHY keep using it when a new one is reasonable price?

Short of it is, that if I can keep the wound from infection, I will be near-normal in two weeks and that would be super fortunate.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Der, it sounds like the goon squad was in hot pursuit and you somehow still escaped even if, you did not escape unscathed. :)

Hope you are all better soon. And beware of playing Pokemon Go while riding on your bike and being chased by the goonies.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Hi MZ,

This was a TEAMS tourney at a huge San Fran club - 888TTC.

The field was comprised of 56 teams in 6 divisions 8 teams per division. Each team had 3-5 players on the roster. The bottom ranked teams in each division (except bottom div) played on team vs team match vs one of the top teams from the next lower division to see if that team would stay in ranked div or go down a div (bottom team would move up a div if they won).

There were 7 team vs team matches in each division to see who would finish places 1-4 for prizes. Each team vs team match would have 3 players identified to play in A-B-C vs X-Y-Z format first 6 matches singles to see who would win 4 matches to win the team vs team matchup... there would be a doubles match with 2 of the 3 players identified from the team vs team matchup to see who would win doubles and the matchup.

This tourney was a lot of fun and serious competition that is way different from a singles or doubles tourney. Each match had meaning... and if your other team player was doing well in his/her match, you were not under pressure and can play free, but if you cannot rely on other team player to win, you are under immense pressure to win. Much different dynamic and much suspense each match with much emotion and change of momentum.

You also got a chance to play on a table next to pros and maybe in between matches watch pros play.

How are all the teams formed?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

How are all the teams formed?

How does it work? Well, someone wants to form a team. That player figures out which players will be on the team and registers the team on a website and pays $550 USD (early) or $700 (after early). The team captain can edit the team roster all the way up to a few days before the tourney. After the cut-off, the team rosters are finalized, you show up tourney day early, check in, then compete.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Der, it sounds like the goon squad was in hot pursuit and you somehow still escaped even if, you did not escape unscathed. :)

Hope you are all better soon. And beware of playing Pokemon Go while riding on your bike and being chased by the goonies.

No Goon Squad involved... I was only one mile from getting there. I was wrong to be traveling at combat speed along a route I never rode on before (that part of the street). So in a sense, I asked for it. (or a good part of it) I took an increased risk and did not do much to lessen it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

No Goon Squad involved... I was only one mile from getting there. I was wrong to be traveling at combat speed along a route I never rode on before (that part of the street). So in a sense, I asked for it. (or a good part of it) I took an increased risk and did not do much to lessen it.

Der_Echte traveling at high speeds in an undetectable vehicle, off road, out of satellite range, on a covert mission, under a mile away from the mission's destination, Ground Zero, and there was no goon squad involvement? Next you will ask me to believe that you don't play doubles! :)

Battle scars.

Speedy recovery will be the best revenge. :)

• Haha
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There def gunna be sum scars from this. If I am lucky, I will be near FMC (Fully Mission Capable) in a couple weeks. The MCL grade II feels at 70% plus already, 2 more weeks of no shoes will help that out too. I had to pull out of 888 SV Teams, Meiklejohn Seniors, and the Sac Summer Open because of the MCL injury.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello DTTCCers!

Haven't posted in ages. Nothing new to report during that time though.

New news ... my club which is a NYC Dept of Parks Recreation Center is finally going to close down June 30th for renovation and it may be 2 or 3 years before they reopen :( There is the Tiger Badminton Club (they rented the gym of a synagogue) which is 1 long block away from my club. But 3 kids in college and funds are tight now. Same for Robert Chen's new club in Astoria, may be pricier than Tiger, plus inconvenient travels to and from Chen's club. the Dept of Parks was the most affordable in my current situation, $100 for 1 year, 2 nights a week (was 4 nights a week until they changed their schedule), and if i was available most of Saturday. It was also 25 minutes walking to/from home. With my NYC Dept of Parks membership, i can go to other Rec Ctrs, but all are inconvenient to get to as well as limited times to play TT. Downside of a rec ctr.

One of my friends/brothers from my old 1980s TT crew started playing again. He mentioned to me that he is playing at NYC/Chinatown's Columbus Park. Throughout the parks of NYC, they have these slate/stone tables with a metal net. Not the most ideal of playing conditions, but it is free. Not used to the table. Downside is wind, passersby, mosquitoes, uneven table, running after a missed ball before someone steps on it, etc. I walk 30 minutes to the park after work and hit with him. Last night, I hit with someone else and we had fun and good training. Going back on Saturday after work.

--------

@UpsideDownCarl,

My friend knows Eddie and plays with him sometimes at Columbus Park. He also told me Richard Ling is sometimes there on Saturdays. I work Saturdays and by the time i get off work and get there, it is late for him and he would have left already. Same for Eddie. I call Richard Ling "Dai Si Hing" (Big Martial/Training Brother) as we both learnt from the late Alex Tam, although I learnt briefly from Tam sifu. After a few basic lessons, he told me to go train with Richard. Sad that I didn't see Tam sifu in 30 years or so and he passed away 2 or 3 years ago. We all are not getting any younger, I want to see Richard at least one time in the near future. Would be cool to see and hit with Eddie again as well.

Reactions: JeffM