Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Played at UAkron's club this past Thursday and just now have time to write about it. Spent the first hour letting a kid serve to me who is about 700 due to his understanding of spin and overall TT experience level. His strokes and spin generation were about 1200, though so he will be dangerous as he gains more experience playing against actual TT players. While he served I just worked on my footwork and bh flipping everything, even if it was impossibly low. Then we did top table and I played Harsh, my coach, first. He's right around 2000 despite being semi-retired, so he beat me 11-8 while screwing around quite a bit. I was happy with my reads of his spin and my shot quality, which he seemed surprised by too. My footwork and recovery were my biggest hindrance so they're the new focus of my shadow work. I played a few more matches and lost to a super consistent 1600 looper 15-13 because he figured out I could only loop about 2 in a row before my footwork broke down. I also lost by the same score to a tennis player who serves fast and long and goes all out attack, again because I couldn't stay on offense consistently. I beat my girlfriend's brother 11-6 thanks to my over the table game - he's rated 1450 but plays 2-3 levels above that away from the table, 2-3 levels below that at the table. Overall I'm happy with my progress and need to get my footwork up to par before I make any significant improvement. Gonna rig up my phone this Thursday and make some videos so we can all laugh at me :)

I will be standing by with my Friend Woody W. :)

But we can get real, many players would laugh louder than Woody W. at the stuff I do (wrong).

So we will just chill and have a cold one.

woody_woodpecker_beer_by_loulouvz-d4g2jyx.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Today was a good day! I woke up and ate the leftovers from yesterdays feast.

Then i went out to play outdoor ping pong. Had some really great rallys including squatting the ground forehands :) Then some Chinese tourists came to watch as i was playing a match.
I showed them my best reverse tomahawk serve followed up by a step around inside out forehand kill shot. They all applauded and shouted chaayo and something else :D Was so much fun!

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
Imagine you are doing a two step slowly to your FH, like when you are in BH corner and ball is coming medium speed to your FH or a little to the middle. You normally would move left foot until it touched right foot, then move right foot to the right and you are in position. Both feet are solid on the ground.

With the slide step, it is pretty similar in how the feet move, but they are less solidly planted on the floop. It is like you are gliding.

I also cal a "Hop" step something similar to this, but the feet leave the ground. You do this when you need to do the two step footwork a little more quickly.

The explosive two step I call the "Tiger 2 Step". Same sequence as a two step, but you need to cover more ground really quickly and be planted ready to hit and spring back. You explosively push off with left foot and go mid air 5-8 cm off the ground flying to your FH side. You are landing crouched right as the ball arrives, so you can hit a big FH and spring back to middle.

All these are possible to practice on a table or off, but you get bored (or tired) real quickly.

One of the KJH FH vids, KJH spends some time talking about footwork, and in this, spends some time breaking down his version of a FH crossover step.
So the slide step is something like this at 1:02, towards the forehand?

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
I will be standing by with my Friend Woody W. :)

But we can get real, many players would laugh louder than Woody W. at the stuff I do (wrong).

So we will just chill and have a cold one.

View attachment 11025

Haven't seen that guy in a decade and a half, now it's time to talk Mz. Knife into an old cartoon binge!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
What you are saying or typed above just sounds like a complete bullshit.

If you are just trying to play this sports for fun, go ahead by all means keep playing the way you've been playing but if you are trying to improve, stop talking and doing things like sidespin pendulum serve, backhand flick, heck even looping.

Get 100 balls, a partner who's willing to feed or wants to get better as well, go to pingskills or TTedge or the other myriad of online table tennis coaching videos and learn how to do forehand counter-drive. Do a lot of shadow stroke and real time practice. Go to backhand counter-drive, forehand push, backhand push. Then you can start learning about looping.

For someone who goes into all these details about serving, backhand flick, looping and even try to give suggestion to other people, your game is just shit.

You keep posting about stuffs as if you really understand about it but most likely you don't. What you ended up doing is just posting white noise that annoys a lot of people

The more archo posts, despite my usually not reading any of it unless it is quoted by someone else, the more I love this post.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Footwork problem I have to fix: realizing I don't have to move as far to the right as I think I do. Or really as far in most directions. If I can do that I will be lighter on feet.

Was doing 2 2 drill. Thats 2 to bh, 2 to the forehand. After the bh I kept overreacting to forehand side and taking ball too close to my body. And because I was overreacting was getting too tired and just being heavy on my feet.

Need to do those conditioning drills Ryu is doing. In the second half of that video. Incredible how much space he can cover.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
It is almost midnight on a weekend and Der_Echte is Hongry. Who gunna give Der_Echte hiz ration of Chickin'?? :D

For Der_Echte's and TTD CCers' LOLZ :)

Finally had time to edit my 2nd match with Der from 10/2 Sunday. 10/1 Saturday I played him with my regular Avalox P700 DHS H3. Sunday, tried out the Nexy Amazon CPen with a MX-P. After ~30 mins drilling of side down serve and 3rd ball slow topspin loop, we played a match. Der did whatever he wanted and I only did the drill but under match conditions. I still sucked at serve receive. Lost pretty much all points on Der's serves.

One of the key points Der taught me was to reset to ready position ... on some points i was able to, and Der said something to the effect of "...magic happens." Regarding the 3rd ball slow topspin loop, many times he was saying something like: "see how easy it is?" Granted he was feeding it to me, but I kept smiling and shaking my head in disbelief at just how easy it was... I was in a relaxed frame of mind... able to loop more than i generally would because I reset and because I was relaxed.

0:25-0:28 - Der unleashes his loop ... of course it didn't help I misread his serve and I move like a pregnant yak, slow to stick my racket out

0:52-1:02 - I 3rd ball looped and 5th ball punch down the line ... Der reiterate how good things happen after I reset to ready position

1:07-1:11 - 5th ball punched into net LOL

1:17-1:23 - Der looped ball into net, CHECK OUT THE SPIN THOUGH!

1:24-1:30 - lucky pushing/angling

1:37-1-42 - wasn't reset properly for 5th ball, i'm flat footed on 7th ball LOLZ

1:58-2:02 - LET 'ER RIP! sad part, there was a hole in my paddle, i mean, i was there, racket was out LOL

2:03-2:05 - my only failed serve of the whole match! Generally i get 3-5 a match :(

GENERAL THOUGHTS ON NEXY AMAZON AND MX-P

Having played with an old Double Happiness 7-ply with old Friendship 729 rubber ages ago, I've played with various rubbers for the past year in my unretirement after 30 yrs absence from TT ... it wasn't until i played with a DHS H3 about 4 months ago, did i finally feel I got some semblance of my old game back

The Nexy Amazon/MX-P setup surprised me, it played very well for my close-to-the-table style. I expected the MX-P to be way more bouncier and I wouldn't be able to control my shots. The Amazon felt great to smash with as well as loop. THe MX-P was acting like H3 for me.

I would reco the combo setup as well as individually the Nexy Amazon Cpen and MX-P to any players close-to-the-table players.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
After 10/2 Sunday's meetup with Der and NextLevel, Monday 10/3 I was able to try out the Nexy Amazon CPen with MX-P at my club vs clubmates. Finally had time to edit a video vs a chopper.

This edited short video was shot after I had been looping with the chopper for ~30 mins. Pretty winded already. I'm not a pure looper, that is, I won't be looking to loop every ball but it was good training. She is a steady enough chopper - guessing long pips.

I can see so much I am doing wrong from this video despite me landing some of the loops. I have to work on my looping form/technique after some comments/tips from 42andbackpains, and Carl, and also my sessions with Der and NextLevel.

LOL at me ... i'm da suck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
OSPH, 52 sec onward is excellent. The early punch was great.

As Carl has mentioned in a previous post, my punch is hardwired into me... the RPB is totally foreign to me... if i embrace the modern PH style, i would probably slow my game down as I would have to choose between the RPB or the punch.

Thank you Archo!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Excellent Boogar!

Then some Chinese tourists came to watch as i was playing a match.

They all applauded and shouted chaayo and something else :D Was so much fun!

FTR, 'chaayo' literally means 'add oil/gas' but it's meant as encouragement ... like you can do it, charge!, etc.

Reactions: Suga D
says what [IMG]
Re: footwork names ... boxing/martial arts generally call it 'shuffling' ... a further distinction - 'step and slide' - you step first then slide your other foot... 'slide and step' - slide the foot first and then step.
Ah, that immediately makes sense, when you apply the martial arts context to it. I got up and did a few just now and I think I get what Der was talking about.

It was so simple, but I didn't fully get it until the martial arts context was brought in. Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Re: footwork names ... boxing/martial arts generally call it 'shuffling' ... a further distinction - 'step and slide' - you step first then slide your other foot... 'slide and step' - slide the foot first and then step.

Be aware to not slide you feet. But to lift them properly. This may work on slippery surfaces, but if you have shoes with grip you will get troubled or even fall over.

This user has no status.
Osph: again.. look at a LP for 2side.. Ive been playing around with it using the LP for fh chops, finishing what comes back with the inverted omega 4 pro on bh rpb-shots.. at the moment, its working reeeeaaally well.. you could just turn the blade real fast and get the same results ysing only fh-strokes..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Osph: again.. look at a LP for 2side.. Ive been playing around with it using the LP for fh chops, finishing what comes back with the inverted omega 4 pro on bh rpb-shots.. at the moment, its working reeeeaaally well.. you could just turn the blade real fast and get the same results ysing only fh-strokes..

At some point I will try LP... for now, will borrow an old sheet of short pips from 42andbackpains. May try medium pips too.

Lack of RPB will change up my use of the LP for sure - just hope it doesn't change my fh strokes which are bad to begin with lol

Reactions: Liten