Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Reverse serve into the backhand with heavy spin is designed to be hard to spin to the wide forehand with power which is why backhand players like it - putting it into the forehand tends to pop up the ball. They limit the table that way. Pivoters or forehand players tend to prefer the pendulum.

*takes notes*

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Maybe if BH Man sponsors[SUP]bribes[/SUP] me, I can use Nexy Gear.

If BHMan SponsorBribes you, you may have to use Lissom, Zealot, Kim Jung Hoon or one of those all wood Nexy feel good blades. [emoji2]

Btw: Have you tried the Elpis? I kind of like that rubber.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If BHMan SponsorBribes you, you may have to use Lissom, Zealot, Kim Jung Hoon or one of those all wood Nexy feel good blades. [emoji2]

Btw: Have you tried the Elpis? I kind of like that rubber.

Two ways to sucker me - Butterfly marketing hype on rubbers (Tenergy) or Nexy marketing hype on rubbers(Karis). Blades tend to be too expensive for the hype to fool me. Elpis didn't have any hype so I missed it (Chinese rubber, low price).

I reviewed the OLAM so I could use that - on the whole though, I don't use 7ply anymore and Nexy doesn't have a Yasaka Extra equivalent.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Missed TT last night, our eldest daughter flew home from college for Thanksgiving... went to the airport to pick her up.

I think i got the urges of matchplay out of my system from playing the last 2 weeks. With ~5 days off, focusing tonight back on serves... will see if i can just get a serve, receive, 3rd ball training in tonight.

Sold my Joby magnetic tripod to "Fun" player, as he went on vacation and wanted to buy it off of me. I have not gotten a replacement yet. If able to record video, it may not be a good angle... will in all likelihood have phone propped against a gatorade bottle.

*CROSSES FINGERS*

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Today I watched the European qualification matches of the Swiss team live! :)

22.11.16 - 1.jpg

Here are some short videos I took. The first one is filmed the wrong way sorry >.<

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Missed TT last night, our eldest daughter flew home from college for Thanksgiving... went to the airport to pick her up.

I think i got the urges of matchplay out of my system from playing the last 2 weeks. With ~5 days off, focusing tonight back on serves... will see if i can just get a serve, receive, 3rd ball training in tonight.

Sold my Joby magnetic tripod to "Fun" player, as he went on vacation and wanted to buy it off of me. I have not gotten a replacement yet. If able to record video, it may not be a good angle... will in all likelihood have phone propped against a gatorade bottle.

*CROSSES FINGERS*

OSPH,

you might have seen my cheepo tripod with Smart Phone adapter... 15 for the tripod and 12-15 for the adaptor... and it came with a bluetooth remote. fits in bag real easy.

Just sayin'

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
cache.php

Anxiously awaiting your video so i may ask for a 9 pts handicap from you too ;-)

Hahahaaa. You're too kind. Thanks a lot.

I bet after having seen me play, you'll probably say:
"who does that fool think he is making all these lousy comments" and then you'll get so compassionate to give me nine pts instead...

:D

Unfortunately I really don't even have one proper vid of me. All i do have is a 2 year old short vid that a friend of mine shot while another friend and me were warming up, which doesn't really say anything about our playing abilities.
Actually my vid shooting friend just wanted to test out his new video editing program and needed a vid to have something to edit, so he joined while my other friend and me were warming up.

If you insist i can post that short vid though(the vid is only about a minute containing maybe 30secs of play), but please don't judge me on that...

But I will try to get a vid on one of my next matches, it's long overdue.

We have a league match on thursday, but I'm not sure yet if i should play. Due to season i caught the flu. [Hence i've been posting so much the last couple of days]
One of my opponents is someone who i have played before and he gives me a hard time even when I'm healthy and fit... But then again i don't want to let my teammates down. Well, i guess I'll decide tomorrow...

BTW: lovely pic. Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
OSPH,

you might have seen my cheepo tripod with Smart Phone adapter... 15 for the tripod and 12-15 for the adaptor... and it came with a bluetooth remote. fits in bag real easy.

Just sayin'

42andbackpains reco'd the Joby cos it's magnetic and can stick in places that a tripod can't

My club, no way a regular tripod would be good there

says what [IMG]
Did some serves today. This is my first session.

Phone ran out of juice shortly after, but I kept serving. I noticed I am still doing the followthrough thing, so I really focused on scooping up on the front of the ball, and I got a few relatively light serves but that are still short and came back to me on the ground or into the net. None of these came into the net and they just stopped on the ground, maybe with a little sidespin.

@UpSideDownCarl
@NextLevel
@Shuki
@Der_Echte

Go wild.

Also I am aware the angle is not the best, and I had to flip the video in YT because my phone did not film horizontally. I'm working on it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Last week I played MB a match... he has anti on his BH side and IMO has excellent ball control. Have never beaten him in a match. The best I ever did was lose 3-2, but generally lose 3-0, but sometimes close games. Lost to him last week -8, -5, -8

I finally had a chance to edit the video of the match ... i only picked out my 3rd ball punch down the line points from the match ... seemed this tactic has worked for me against him in the past. Showing my inconsistencies.

That night last week, i mixed in my regular long motion pendulum serves with the short pendulum motion, although this clip doesn't include the short pendulum motion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Last week I played MB a match... he has anti on his BH side and IMO has excellent ball control. Have never beaten him in a match. The best I ever did was lose 3-2, but generally lose 3-0, but sometimes close games. Lost to him last week -8, -5, -8

I finally had a chance to edit the video of the match ... i only picked out my 3rd ball punch down the line points from the match ... seemed this tactic has worked for me against him in the past. Showing my inconsistencies.

That night last week, i mixed in my regular long motion pendulum serves with the short pendulum motion, although this clip doesn't include the short pendulum motion.

MB has basically moved all over to his forehand side to cover your wide serve and you serve nothing down the line to keep him honest - really?

EDIT: I see you focused on a particular play.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
MB has basically moved all over to his forehand side to cover your wide serve and you serve nothing down the line to keep him honest - really?

EDIT: I see you focused on a particular play.

I was 50/50 or so with my down the line serves that match. But yeah, focused on the 3rd ball down the line to show my inconsistencies... although, 1 or 2 serves, i'm thinking i'm serving sidetop, i see i netted his 2nd ball...so i probably served sidedown

I need to work on being consistent

EDIT: waiting for the next time to play with MB, i have a lot of fun playing him with his loud self-talk... one point he hits an edge or got a net ... he always says "I'm really sorry!" and i replied, "No, you're not!" and he quips back, "You are right!" LOL

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Last night i showed up at the club, and not many members were there yet. A woman who generally coaches/gives pointers to a few players asked to hit with me.

I, the naive idiot, thought we were just going to hit until her students show up. Ends up she coached me after a few minutes of warmup strokes. I was a little surprised, felt honored as it was unsolicited.

Pretty much 90 mins straight of basic FH, FH loop, and pivot on BH side to FH/FH loop. Wiped out after 90 mins. Thanked her for the tips and her time.

Called it a night afterwards.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I was 50/50 or so with my down the line serves that match. But yeah, focused on the 3rd ball down the line to show my inconsistencies... although, 1 or 2 serves, i'm thinking i'm serving sidetop, i see i netted his 2nd ball...so i probably served sidedown

I need to work on being consistent

Mark hits - he doesn't loop.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
To any TTD CCers who celebrate Thanksgiving, I wanted to wish to you and your loved ones a Happy Thanksgiving!

I give thanks for making new friends via TTD and for all the advice as well as laughs I've gotten from TTD!

Thats today? :) Then happy Thanksgiving to you all!

I am thankful for this forum and all the people here that love tabletennis! I am thankful for being able to have met some of you! NL and pgpg to be exact :D Didn't have the time to meet up with Carl tho :(.

Is that how you do this thanks giving thing? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Proceeding to my daily tt life. I am coaching one of the junior teams at our club. Today they played their third match of the season in a very small club with white walls :O

We won 8:2, my little players (10-12 years old) are now top of their group beating 17 year old boys :D

The hardest thing is to keep them focused and motivated during play, if they get into a bad mood they will lose against anyone >.<

Also its very hard to give them real tactical advice as most faults are caused by technical aspects. Two points i need to work on with them are footwork and accelerating through the ball with lunging back before a topspin, They hit the ball too flat and more in a reaching manner. Unfortunately I never have the time to train them during our junior training times, as I am working until late those days...

And then there is our little prodigy! He is about table height 10y old and is probably around 1300-1400 us tt points. Hard to say, his biggest weakness is the short game as he is too little to reach for the ball. But he can pull out topspins that make me astounded.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
yep, that's how you do it!

and sorry, i posted it one day early, because i may be too busy with family and food coma tomorrow lol

I am thankful for this forum and all the people here that love tabletennis! I am thankful for being able to have met some of you! NL and pgpg to be exact :D Didn't have the time to meet up with Carl tho :(.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
3 weeks back after my trip from my homeland and finally I am getting my feeling back .... it was pure happiness to hit those forehand and backhand loops in the club today ... hopefully , will be able to lose some weight and improve my footwork and anticipation ... even though 80% of the confidence and touch is back , lot of work to do .... hand is dropping down while in the rally , still not feeling all the balls in the sweet spot when blocking with forehand , backhand blocking technique has changed a little , forearm is following the ball more than before , reverse serve is not going where I want it to , the long hook serve is not landing on the baseline ... but I am happy the no-spin , underspin combination with different placement, and the samsonov style serve from the middle of the court while serving is bailing me out most of the times ... or at least getting me a fighting chance .... but when the leg starts moving everything falls in place ... :) ...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Not getting to meet up with me had to do, at least to some extent to me needing to stay close to home and take care of wife and daughter. It would have been nice to meet up.

Meanwhile, here is a feel good TT story.

Yesterday I worked a lot. I did not think I would get to play TT. I had one break in my schedule that would normally be 30 min but yesterday, with this A'murkhan holiday we ca Thanksgiving, the break was 50 min instead of 30. Spin is right between my private client and my last class. I walked into Spin and a few friends were rotating games. They said: "jump in and join us." I got to play for about 30 min before I had to run to my last class. Man it felt so good just to play for 30 min even.

So, giving thanks. [emoji2]

And I forbid OSPH to say anything mushy! [emoji2]

But maybe this would be okay:

[emoji2]

Last edited: