Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
the principle seems same like making a wrist spin in cricket , intuitively it seems like the only challenge is to control the touch , isn't it ? Thats why so many repetitions would be needed to master it ....

According to my master, all strokes in TT are whip patterns, you just have figure out how to control them. Most people looking for control settle on crappy whip patterns, it is the people who start when young and full of creativity and risk taking who master the whip patterns without much prodding. They spend the hours when they don't care that much about language and missing, we spend the hours when we tie our self esteem to success and failure too strongly and end up getting frustrated.

By the way, this is no different from the throwing motion, people just tense up when it is table tennis.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I get the idea ... I would break it down .. first serve short pendulum and if it comes to my FH I loop, if to my backhand I use traditional PH block ... once I get that going for 80% of the time for my stock serve , I would start varying the spin on the serve and still do it .. once that is fixed , I would start using my pivot .. I feel judging the ball on when to do the pivot is the most tricky part in what you mentioned so I would try to put it in last ... just how I think ...
Xie xie :) again ttmonster!

Yeah, i know, i'm an idiot, working on too many things at once... should focus on one thing at a time. However, some of it is related ... as i generally don't have a chance to have a table for dedicated training ... during matchplay, i work on my short pendulum serve and then work on my 3rd ball loop (which for me at times involves: either decision to pivot or footwork to FH side, and then proper loop mechanics) ... you get the idea.

at home, bombarded by family duties, i don't get to do that much while at home.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
According to my master, all strokes in TT are whip patterns, you just have figure out how to control them.

*MIND BLOWN* hmmm...

we spend the hours when we tie our self esteem to success and failure too strongly and end up getting frustrated.

WISDOM!! IMO, this is one of the 'Secrets' to Life ... and i've always said, 'There are no Secrets in Life, only Hard Work.' Hard work to Master this 'Secret'.

Easy to preach, hard to do/follow-through ... most people, due to their Self-Esteem, will not step out of their Comfort Zone and will only do things they are 'good at' -- they fear 'looking bad' ... imagine if we just 'let go' and ignore the Fear and do it anyway... just Flow and Be in the Moment... Relish it, Savor it, or as Nike says: Just Do It. Have the Beginner's Mindset... fail countless times until you become proficient in whatever it is you were trying to master. The Path to Mastery is paved with many Failures.

Know why little kids are great learners? They have no fear of failure generally. They are inquisitive and open to suggestions. They Listen and then Do. They have no concept of Failure or Self-Esteem (yet) ... they slow down once they fear failure due to image/ego/self-esteem.

Full disclosure though: in some areas of my Life, I'm guilty of succumbing to my self-esteem/Ego ... but in many areas of my Life, including TT... i know my limitations and accept them... working with them, i work on Self-Perfection... Self-Improvement... I don't care what others think of me, i know myself and have a general idea on what i must do. Just a matter of time before I am able to execute my intentions.

I think i'm rambling at this point and just end this here.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I get the idea ... I would break it down .. first serve short pendulum and if it comes to my FH I loop, if to my backhand I use traditional PH block ... once I get that going for 80% of the time for my stock serve , I would start varying the spin on the serve and still do it .. once that is fixed , I would start using my pivot .. I feel judging the ball on when to do the pivot is the most tricky part in what you mentioned so I would try to put it in last ... just how I think ...

Yeah, good points/breakdown ... thank you.

I sometimes stuck to 'the game plan' but it made me too predictable and as i've not gotten decent enough yet, generally lose the game(s) ... to maximize my playing time on the table, i kick in my 'old game/style' and mix it up, so i get to extend my playing time on the table, instead of lose 3 straight and sit and wait for another chance on same table or other table to open up, i get to play/practice more while on the table.

But I understand and appreciate the reminder! Thank you ttmonster!

Reactions: Suga D and Jirrex
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Did you see my or Brett's video on the whip pattern?

This a good video. Seems in line with the special sauce secret action Mark and Mike showed me for a couple of serves.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
remember what DTop said , you need to repeat at least 3 times for people with lesser intelligence to retain ( like me of course ) :rolleyes: ...
:mad:Now I know how often people watch my videos. I have posted this video at least 3 times on this thread...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
On second thought I'd rather let someone else have one of those first price blades because after looking them up, it's unlikely I'll use either of them. It'd probably end up just collecting dust on my shelf and eventually I'd have to sell it, which I'd rather not do. I'd prefer either of the blades to be given to someone that actually has some use for them.

Thanks NL for the generosity anyway :).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
On second thought I'd rather let someone else have one of those first price blades because after looking them up, it's unlikely I'll use either of them. It'd probably end up just collecting dust on my shelf and eventually I'd have to sell it, which I'd rather not do. I'd prefer either of the blades to be given to someone that actually has some use for them.

Thanks NL for the generosity anyway :).

What kind of blade do you prefer? All wood?

There is also a rubber coming and I am not against regifting so sure, feel free to pass on the blades but I am sure I have something fairly new you will like. Just need to know what you like. And you don't have to use it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
What kind of blade do you prefer? All wood?

I'm too happy with my current blade to want to change haha. I probably need a new backhand and forehand rubber soon, but I will probably just go for the same ones.. a new backhand rubber would be the one up for debate.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I'm too happy with my current blade to want to change haha. I probably need a new backhand and forehand rubber soon, but I will probably just go for the same ones.. a new backhand rubber would be the one up for debate.

Okay, fine. Since you won the competition, you get a forehand rubber and a backhand rubber. I think I can replicate but mildly outdo Baracuda.