Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I've preached for a while about how all wood blades are better than some fast carbon blade. And how developing players need to be more patient because they tense up, get excited and miss their kills or their timing is just too early all the time.

I was talking about this a few months back with a pretty decent player at my club, a bit under 2100ish USATT. And what he told me is that he actually disagrees. He's seen players go the path that I've gone and slowly get better and better with more power and more spin as they improve. But he's also seen the outcome in players with fast equipment, hyper aggressive gameplay get to that same level in the same amount of time with what seems to be similar amounts of training.

The only difference he noticed, is that the player going the direction I went, slowly gets better, and is able to deal with all kinds of playstyles they meet on the way (pips, and just weird types of players in general). But the faster player will just all of a sudden one day be at my level and skip that long path that it felt like I had to grind through. Both ways have the same outcome if both players stick with the game long enough to get to that level.

And NOW, I've seen it start happening with a clubmate who seemed to be stuck at 1200 for a longggg time. Now all of a sudden they shot up with the same style and just stopped missing their shots, competing tightly with the 2000's at my club. Beating me more than I beat him, and just catching everyone's eye with people thinking "what happened to him".

So now I'm doubting my thoughts on feeling with wood blades and consistency being so important if it's just going to get to the same level anyway.

Thoughts?

says what [IMG]
To play at 2000 level against one or two topspin attacker styles is one thing. To be able to play at a 2000 level against any style and have the foundation to improve beyond that level is another.

Do also consider the agony of playing at 1200 level for the same amount of time it takes to go from 1200 to 2000 the "proper" way.

This user has no status.
I've preached for a while about how all wood blades are better than some fast carbon blade. And how developing players need to be more patient because they tense up, get excited and miss their kills or their timing is just too early all the time.

I was talking about this a few months back with a pretty decent player at my club, a bit under 2100ish USATT. And what he told me is that he actually disagrees. He's seen players go the path that I've gone and slowly get better and better with more power and more spin as they improve. But he's also seen the outcome in players with fast equipment, hyper aggressive gameplay get to that same level in the same amount of time with what seems to be similar amounts of training.

The only difference he noticed, is that the player going the direction I went, slowly gets better, and is able to deal with all kinds of playstyles they meet on the way (pips, and just weird types of players in general). But the faster player will just all of a sudden one day be at my level and skip that long path that it felt like I had to grind through. Both ways have the same outcome if both players stick with the game long enough to get to that level.

And NOW, I've seen it start happening with a clubmate who seemed to be stuck at 1200 for a longggg time. Now all of a sudden they shot up with the same style and just stopped missing their shots, competing tightly with the 2000's at my club. Beating me more than I beat him, and just catching everyone's eye with people thinking "what happened to him".

So now I'm doubting my thoughts on feeling with wood blades and consistency being so important if it's just going to get to the same level anyway.

Thoughts?

My girlfriend's brother did the same thing. He can compete with a 2000 level attacker but he would struggle to beat a 1200 level chopper/pusher. I think you can develop one aspect of your game very quickly that way, but you'll have holes in your game that an intelligent opponent can exploit.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hmmm ... did I hear you were switching to long pips on the backhand knife ? :p
My girlfriend's brother did the same thing. He can compete with a 2000 level attacker but he would struggle to beat a 1200 level chopper/pusher. I think you can develop one aspect of your game very quickly that way, but you'll have holes in your game that an intelligent opponent can exploit.

Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Played after not playing for a month. I finally get to practice with someone who's looking to train his serve receive while I did non-stop 3rd ball attack.

I'm getting a feeling that Tenergy 64 isn't working well should I try to open with my BH. The speed/spin ratio amount required is really high . Was really happy to go back to tenergy 05 and Innerforce ZLC though

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Ah thats good , as long as you regularly beat down your girlfriend's brother its all good :p .. and we are proud of you ;)

Not so sure about regularly, but it does happen ;)

Headed to the club tonight to start shaking the rust off little by little, starting with a new mindset for development. I'm gonna ignore the score and try to play a spin-focused, quality shot every time. I stymied my improvement because I was too afraid to lose, and chickened out on being aggressive for fear of missing. No more :)

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hmmmm ... so we are being modest and diplomatic .. are we ? ... :rolleyes:
So if you are changing your mindset , here is a tip from one of my friends. Just focus on one thing , lets say ... return of serve, or staying close to the table, or spinning the ball .... get one thing nailed , don't worry about the score and move on to the next thing ...
Not so sure about regularly, but it does happen ;)

Headed to the club tonight to start shaking the rust off little by little, starting with a new mindset for development. I'm gonna ignore the score and try to play a spin-focused, quality shot every time. I stymied my improvement because I was too afraid to lose, and chickened out on being aggressive for fear of missing. No more :)

This user has no status.
Hmmmm ... so we are being modest and diplomatic .. are we ? ... :rolleyes:
So if you are changing your mindset , here is a tip from one of my friends. Just focus on one thing , lets say ... return of serve, or staying close to the table, or spinning the ball .... get one thing nailed , don't worry about the score and move on to the next thing ...

I try to exercise both as much as possible :) thanks for the advice, TTM, I'll report back after club tonight!

says what [IMG]
School started again, and I'm back at the table.

I didn't really play with my partner today, but I hit with some fresh blood from the first years who arrived.

I'd been improving my technique over the summer and there was a noticeable improvement, but of course as soon as I really started hitting with someone, all that technique went up my ass initially. :p

After some self hitting, I've finally started understanding how to whip the arm to get more spin and how to grab the ball. I now know what a loop feels like compared to a drive.

Without rambling, my blade angle was not right for my swing. There is no way I could have brushed correctly with how I was hitting before. The loop swing is very "sharp" and it almost feels like I'm gonna put hooking sidespin onto the ball, but there's barely any compared to how much I think there is going to be. I now understand why coaches want you to "salute" on the follow through. It was initially difficult to get it, but I just had to force myself to hit it how I had shadowed it. Suddenly it just started working.

Maybe one in three shots is good. It's a start. I'm sure there's relatively no spin, but you can't deny that it's a spin ball and not a hit ball.

I've had my Yinhe W6 ('Loop King') for about a year. When I first received it, I sealed it with a lacquer sealer. The sealer ran (dripped) down onto the handle and the handle is smooth and slick (I don't like that). The reason the smoothness bothers me is I can't feel (deep down) vibrations on a shot. So, I've been contemplating getting a new W6. Is this foolish or ??

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I've had my Yinhe W6 ('Loop King') for about a year. When I first received it, I sealed it with a lacquer sealer. The sealer ran (dripped) down onto the handle and the handle is smooth and slick (I don't like that). The reason the smoothness bothers me is I can't feel (deep down) vibrations on a shot. So, I've been contemplating getting a new W6. Is this foolish or ??

You could also use mineral spirits or some other solvent to remove the sealant from the handle. But there would be nothing wrong with getting a new one. It is a nice blade and not very expensive.

I used to like handles that were sealed. Now I don't. They both are usable. But you might as well use what you want. We play this game for our own enjoyment, right?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Not foolish. That blade costs 1/4 what an average big brand mid expensive blade costs.

You could always try sanding...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I ran out of rubber cement and decided to buy a new jar at Walmart. On checkout I was asked if I was at least 18 years old, luckily they didn't need a valid id. Serious business!
I asked my daughter to get some White Out correction fluid. Clerk said she had to be 21 to do that she LOL LMAO ROFL for a week straight over that.

Get real Walmart... white out haha.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk