Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yes, but it is because your "much power" is not produced consistently. The way I like to describe it is:

1. If the ball is low or tricky, meaning you need time and consistency, spin it up.
2. If the ball is high or easy, drive it.
3. With practice, you want to make more balls go from category 1 to category 2 by making tricky balls easier with more spin in your drives.

I see where TWI is coming from. Going for broke each shot is not good for amature players for a few reasons.

1. You are going to be attempting some low percentage shots... the odds will catch up to you.
2. If an amature player does not yet have absolute perfect balance, compact power shot technique, and recovery, making a 100% shot and it comes back + a lost point - no recovery.

So TWI and his coach agree that there is judgment and integration of risk and shot selection in a rally. Emphasis is to reduce risk by attempting to maximize balance recovery and preparedness for next shot by going for CONSISTENCY and PLACEMENT. (Even though I never saw TWI talk about spin, I would think this would also be an emphasis from his coach) The green light for power is when there is an OBVIOUS high percentage chance to finish.

Overall, TWI coach's manages the game with heavy risk reduction emphasizing control and readiness.

NL's stated way in the quote concisely detailing shot selection parameters is basically how I go about it. I have a VERY HIGH emphasis on spin, depth and placement in that order. I unconsciously make a judgment of how much power I will make as I see the ball coming and judge where my opponent is. Higher balls close to the endline decision is real easy - cream it by them.

NL's approach to decision making is both technically sound and has the added benefit of accelerated decision making. You see the ball, you already know what to do, so there is no time wasted thinking/deciding... all you to is subconsciously will the ball to its place the way you already decided. There is big-time value in such a shot selection process. Things ought to happen at a subconscious level... if we think too much about it during the point, we run out of time and make a weak decision/execution.

TWI's camp's decision making process also has similar benefits, plus it is also a sound strategic growth strategy for the future that can be changed to accommodate increased skill/consistency.

NL's way also has growth potential, the better you get at spinning the ball, depth and placement, the better your level gets (to a degree if other areas do not improve, but this is a huge area)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yoass dude, the competitive Warrior will never accept defeat. You got defeated and accepted it.

However, even though you lost your matches, you were not defeated, nor your honor, nor your values. You fought with truth to yourself, that is all you can ask.

You have a perspective and attitude and peace about your table tennis that I have perhaps only a tiny fraction.

Koreans call your attitude Jeul-Tak, which is a kind of modern table tennis slang - Jeul being 1/2 of the verb for enjoying, Tak being 1/2 of the word for table tennis... so it means enjoying your table tennis.

It means Koreans have a BLAST playing the sport and it is infectious. You got IT. It means enjoying and involving others, which is just about the essence of my Trouble Making intentions, which are all fine and dandy and DO work... until I get to fixed and zeroed in on winning and all my good attitude goes out the window.

You are a leader in your area in TT whether you realize it or not, and you also lead internationally through this TT forum.

After I made this post, it appears Yoass made a status change. It is regrettable that there is no ability to like status changes on TTD.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
After I made this post, it appears Yoass made a status change.

That he did, trying on your kind if a bit extravagant praise for size — and finding it oversized. Nevertheless, thank you for seeing and stretching the positives notes in my quiet little song of defeat.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I see where TWI is coming from. Going for broke each shot is not good for amature players for a few reasons.

1. You are going to be attempting some low percentage shots... the odds will catch up to you.
2. If an amature player does not yet have absolute perfect balance, compact power shot technique, and recovery, making a 100% shot and it comes back + a lost point - no recovery.

So TWI and his coach agree that there is judgment and integration of risk and shot selection in a rally. Emphasis is to reduce risk by attempting to maximize balance recovery and preparedness for next shot by going for CONSISTENCY and PLACEMENT. (Even though I never saw TWI talk about spin, I would think this would also be an emphasis from his coach) The green light for power is when there is an OBVIOUS high percentage chance to finish.

Overall, TWI coach's manages the game with heavy risk reduction emphasizing control and readiness.

NL's stated way in the quote concisely detailing shot selection parameters is basically how I go about it. I have a VERY HIGH emphasis on spin, depth and placement in that order. I unconsciously make a judgment of how much power I will make as I see the ball coming and judge where my opponent is. Higher balls close to the endline decision is real easy - cream it by them.

NL's approach to decision making is both technically sound and has the added benefit of accelerated decision making. You see the ball, you already know what to do, so there is no time wasted thinking/deciding... all you to is subconsciously will the ball to its place the way you already decided. There is big-time value in such a shot selection process. Things ought to happen at a subconscious level... if we think too much about it during the point, we run out of time and make a weak decision/execution.

TWI's camp's decision making process also has similar benefits, plus it is also a sound strategic growth strategy for the future that can be changed to accommodate increased skill/consistency.

NL's way also has growth potential, the better you get at spinning the ball, depth and placement, the better your level gets (to a degree if other areas do not improve, but this is a huge area)

You're absolutely right and i forgot to mention it, the coach repeated to me that the way to control a ball is to always play with spin. When we were doing exercises, I complained that i was too passive but he said the speed was actually ok, just adding some spin, not necessarily huge, is enough to make a difference.

Also, one of my main problem with BH/FH transition is that i play too hard a FH during the rally, i lose my balance to play FH. But the worse problem, is that after i finish FH, and move to BH side, i have the bad habit of moving the upper body upwards, which means i'm in trouble, because in rallies the ball arc is low; its difficult to play a good top spin shot (or any shot) this way. my shot becomes flat or, my bat angle becomes too open and there are too many over-miss. So i try to focus to correct that when doing all these exercises until it becomes a natural thing.

I was surprised that when i did so, sometimes very good shots came out of my racket naturally. not going for full power, but with good timing and execution; it can be a very deadly 80% fast and spinny and well placed shot. Hopefully with enough training more and more such shots will become the norm

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
TWI,

NL has always emphasized spin production as a number one priority in an opening shot. It is good policy to me.

Tonight, I had prolly my best night of table tennis possibly ever. Lost matches to players 3 levels and 1.5 levels above me... took both to 5 games, better player to 9-9 and other to 8-10 after being down 0-2. Unless you were there and saw the action, it would be hard to describe here, but I fought and dug out points vs better players and took the fight to them where I should have already lost.

Did even better in doubles in the CLC team league, Had SANDY as first doubles partner and we rallied and battled it out working together better as match wore on... we ended up wearing out opponents. She gave me chances for flashy finishes... she kept stuff in play, and when I set her up, she either finished or successfully attacked and made it easy for me to finish it.

Had our other player on the team as my partner in second doubles, our #1 player was out today. We ended up working very well together. It was a match you had to see to fully grasp, hard to depict all of it, but needless to say, many powerful or spinny finishes, many extended rallies we won, and I repeatedly baited players to go for cross court BH corner when I was deep in FH corner... I got to do a quick long crossover and get to so many balls that way, they never expected them to come back. That also made them try to hit harder and make more errors.

Plenty of chances to cheer my doubles partners, and cheer myself too... emphatically. We had a couple visitors with hand made signs and we put on a show that was real entertaining involving spectators. I even cheered a couple opponent strong FH with my famous cheer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Was lucky to be there to witness it first hand , and ruing the fact that both those matches could have gone the other way if lady luck had smiled on us ...
TWI,

NL has always emphasized spin production as a number one priority in an opening shot. It is good policy to me.

Tonight, I had prolly my best night of table tennis possibly ever. Lost matches to players 3 levels and 1.5 levels above me... took both to 5 games, better player to 9-9 and other to 8-10 after being down 0-2. Unless you were there and saw the action, it would be hard to describe here, but I fought and dug out points vs better players and took the fight to them where I should have already lost.

Did even better in doubles in the CLC team league, Had SANDY as first doubles partner and we rallied and battled it out working together better as match wore on... we ended up wearing out opponents. She gave me chances for flashy finishes... she kept stuff in play, and when I set her up, she either finished or successfully attacked and made it easy for me to finish it.

Had our other player on the team as my partner in second doubles, our #1 player was out today. We ended up working very well together. It was a match you had to see to fully grasp, hard to depict all of it, but needless to say, many powerful or spinny finishes, many extended rallies we won, and I repeatedly baited players to go for cross court BH corner when I was deep in FH corner... I got to do a quick long crossover and get to so many balls that way, they never expected them to come back. That also made them try to hit harder and make more errors.

Plenty of chances to cheer my doubles partners, and cheer myself too... emphatically. We had a couple visitors with hand made signs and we put on a show that was real entertaining involving spectators. I even cheered a couple opponent strong FH with my famous cheer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
He likes it when i put one more shot on the table, and TRY to put safety BEFORE anything else...

His game philosophy: be able to play with control and safety, and to play rallies, and when there is a good chance, go for a winner. Going 100% on every shot is NOT the way to play TT.

One aspect of my game I still need to work on. Another is to relax and take my time, i rush my shots.

Although hit or miss, i have fun going for it! And hence that's why i'm still a low-level player.

I do notice that if i play a lower-level player I generally play it steady and try to help their game out and 'feed' them "attackable balls". If I play partners my level or higher, i am tense and rush and go for it most of the time.

----------------------------

Lately been thinking of a lot of things about Life including Table Tennis and Martial Arts. One passion is table tennis. Another is the martial arts. For the specific martial art i've been training, part of testing oneself is sparring others. Some of the sparring may seem extreme to both non-martial artists as well as experienced martial artists. The sparring is really a 'young man's game' and at 52 yrs of age, my Heart may be speaking to me more than my Mind and Body. My Body tells me things my Mind knows and understands but my Heart sometimes chooses not to hear.

I am contemplating pursuing the MA a bit more than my TT and pursuing some kind of status. I usually don't care about status (hence my last official USTTA rating of 1400+ from 1980's). What hampered my TT playing were various factors including injury and family commitments. The time off has lessened my enthusiasm for the game.

I've been with a specific MA system since its inception. Have not been disciplined in training (like my TT lol) ... and a few friends stuck with it and ascended ranks. I'm not looking to teach it, not jealous of my friends, i just want something to prove to myself that i can attain a hard but manageable goal although it will take a level of commitment to attain.

I'm at a crossroads ... prior to the time off from TT, i was doing both decently, but after the time off, my TT is bad. Time is limited due to me in the Family Man stage of Life. Should I devote my time to TT and try to improve a level or attain some rank which will mean nothing to most people except me? (although I can say the same about improving a level in TT)

This post is mostly ramblings of an old man trying to regain some glory of youth. Mostly a rhetorical question too.

Reactions: sspark80 and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I just got the information that only 2 player uses Tenergy rubbers among the top hungarian juniors. One of them is my clubmate and he wants to change, because of the usual stuff: it's too expensive. As he don't know too much about equipment, I recommended him MX-P (he is good enough).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I just got the information that only 2 player uses Tenergy rubbers among the top hungarian juniors. One of them is my clubmate and he wants to change, because of the usual stuff: it's too expensive. As he don't know too much about equipment, I recommended him MX-P (he is good enough).

Sounds a bit strange to me.
As one of the top players he shouldn't have to worry about pricing.
He should be good enough to be sponsored IMO...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Sounds a bit strange to me.
As one of the top players he shouldn't have to worry about pricing.
He should be good enough to be sponsored IMO...

Top junior players: ~top 20-30. The sponsored juniors are sponsored by Donic or Joola, and there are only a few of them (really just a few, and they play in 1st league). The Tenergy users are are U15: No.5 and No.8, U18: No.18 and No.19. My clubmate is the No.8 and 19 and he don't get any money or sponsoring. He recently changed his rubbers to a 1st league player's used Tenergys...he is playing on a stable or even strong 2nd league level. Our club hardly has money for even just balls... but at least we has our own playing room with 7 table...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Got out of work late last night, only hit for an hour...

Hit with 2 partners. Happy to say my RPB BH and SH BH is coming back ... no video ... maybe next week.

My FH for both SH and PH is wacky. When i flat hit/stroke, it's all over the place. I think i'm doing the angle right like i used to ages ago. My friend 42andbackpains called me out for it. Also, someone pointed out that my elbow goes up as i hit FH... these 2 factors are jedi mind tricking me!

However, when I add a little topspin to my FH stroke, I seemed to be ok, have to relearn FH lol

This thread seems to be lacking videos of late. Will see if i can get video of myself next week.

EDIT: my BH, both RPB and SH, seems to be at a point, I'm comfortable being 2 to 3 steps away from the table and returning consistently. Not sure if my strokes are 'correct' ... may be the Tenergy rubber "making' the ball land with a bad stroke... or my stroke is ok to correct. As a predominately close to the table player, am surprising myself that i can play 2 to 3 steps away and NOT lobbing (or as I've discovered some people's modern term is 'fishing').

EDIT: also worked on pushing (mixing in my oldschool pushing of adding downspin and angling the push as well as modern push of just "floating" the ball back to short middle) , and serve/3rd ball attack (both SH and PH - still not consistent)

Last edited:
Reactions: Boogar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
had a mini tournament. It wasn't a great result for me. Not surprising. I skipped my jogging twice in a row. played only on Tuesday so far this week and it was sh*t... won 2 lost 2, but one I lost 1-3, is the kind of game that I should be able to win whatever it takes, even on a so-so day to get to the next level. The guy played a good match, i had a bit of pressure as I was the slight favourite to win. I missed too many receives when under pressure, and I served badly throughout the match. Footwork was so-so given the lack of form. -8 +12 -6 -12 is the final score :-( i saved 2 match points and had 2 set points in the last game, but i blew it...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Quick question i got a company to make a bat up but they put my fh rubber on the wrong side and my OCD is eating away at me ive had the bat 2 days if i take off my rasanter rubber will it shrink drastically?

Sent from my i-Phone using Tapatalk

Lol... yes.