Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I thought that was you. At the very beginning you are standing and then you sit. Hahaha.
Yea that was my first tournament, it was the one where I didn't sleep the night before. Then seeing one of our club members playing against danny and hold their own to an extent was pretty exciting.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
In the past, I used to get my power by brush looping with hard rubbers. So switching back to Euro rubbers has been interesting. I have concluded that I need to improve the power of my regular loops to get better. I look at a kid I play at my club who is 2300 and his power loops have heavy spin, especially on his BH, while I tend to get good spin and medium pace or good pace and little spin. So I have been trying to improve my swing speed and wrist usage in order to get more power and spin. I switched over to a grip I used a while back and which looks almost exactly the same as the grip I used before this, but the difference is in the emphasis of control on the fingers. Some high level sources say that the focus should be on thumb and index finger, but there are other sources that say that the way the lower three fingers wrap around the neck of the flare can be pretty helpful for adding power as well. So let's just say I am consciously involving my lower three fingers a little more.

I might discuss the technique on video sometime - it's basically a sweeping motion into the ball. I think for some people, it is their standard loop but there are obviously alternatives.

In the last 2 or 3 minutes of this video, you can see me working on it on my forehand. Most of the work was on my backhand in the video as I had spent the prior unfilmed 20 mins or so forehand looping.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Nice video Baumschule :) Your topspins have a lot of dip and probably a great deal of spin as well. However i felt like those shots were all kill shots and not control shots. So can you do those shots in match conditions?
Also how is your recovery with this somewhat low and across the body end phase of the stroke?

Thanks:) While I obviously know where the majority of the balls go during the video these shots are pretty much how I would play about 90% of balls that are long enough to loop during matchplay so for me these are what you could call control shots. While I really enjoy long rallies my gameplan usually revolves around ending the point with the first or second loop. During the other 10% where I am not able to play the type of stroke I want I use a more soft and slower stroke with more spin rather than speed wich I think you can see a couple of times in the video.
Recovery is indeed slightly longer but since I tend to step away from the table as soon as possible that only becomes a problem very rarely and even if it does it's not like I'm going to miss because of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
This thread is always a lot of fun to check out every day, it's nice to see tt players just shooting the breeze. I've got a spare couple of minutes so I might just chip in my 2c worth.

I've played now for just over 30 years, most of it at a reasonably high level, and I can say with reasonable assurance that many of the high level players wouldn't actually know or care about stuff like topsheet overloading, bottoming out, throw angles, dwell time etc. They pick a rubber that feels fairly good when they put it on their favorite blade, then go out and practice heaps with it. Mainly the basics just over and over. With attention on fixing problems straight away.

Internet forums are the right place to come and talk about everything and anything related to table tennis. But if you are spending your time in the training hall obsessing over minor details when you can't hit a loop against a push with any consistency, you are worrying about the wrong things. If your technique doesn't allow you to put the racket through the hitting zone with speed, stable racket angle, and fast recovery, then you don't need to worry about topsheet overloading or which rubber to use, you need to be working on fixing your technique up. That's where a good coach and video feedback (especially slow-motion) can be very useful, in conjunction with hitting a ton of balls.

Remember, if you are under 2000, you have a lot of basics in your game that you need to work on. Focus on them in the training hall, them come to the Internet and chat about whatever you like regarding table tennis. Maybe even post a video of your basic technique for evaluation, you might learn something useful. Heck, after 30 years I learned that I was hitting my forehand too far in front of me, once I changed that my forehand went from being mediocre at best for 30 years, to a real powerful weapon. But I never thought of making that change myself - I had to talk to another coach to discover that.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble, so I'll sign out here. Cheers all.

DTop: your words carry a lot of weight. I agree 100 percent.
Many (if not most) beginning players just don't get their priorities in the right order. So thanks again for pointing this out.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Folow-up post from yesterday:
My usual partner for multiball practice was unavailable and nobody else was either willing or good enough to feed me some balls for a couple of minutes (btw does the expression "feed me some balls" make any sense to native speakers?). So instead I recorded 10 minutes from the session. Firstly I'd like to say that my stroke is not what you would call perfect technique and I know the loop is supposed to end more in front of the head rather than the way I do it. I started with the most basic forehand loop against block drill to get a better feeling for the rubber and then switched it up to a basic 3rd ball attack drill. I guess it went better then yesterday but I'm still not that convinced of the quality of the end product. Except for maybe a few strokes I felt I could produce the same amount of speed and spin with a Roxon wich may simply be due to the fact that the T05 is already used. I also felt like I needed to put in more effort to get the same amount of speed wich may be because Roxon is super light compared to T05 and I was still not used to the heavieness. With all that being said this is obviously far from matchplay so I'm not quite sure how representative this video is.

Also, what do you think about the camera angle? It's the first time I recorded myself and I was not quite sure where to place my phone. I think it's a bit to close to the table.

Oh one last thing: At about 7 minutes the light goes out for a few seconds but we continue after we managed to get it on again so don't think the rest of the video is just blackness:D

Hey Baumschule, nice vid. Two things come to my mind after seeing your video, but please keep in mind i might be an experienced player but far from being a coach, though:

First thing was, at around 6:46 that backhand shot. I guess you already know, why it went to the net, but i still want to say one thing, 'cause this also has happened to me before. Instead of moving forwards into the ball you are moving backwards. If I remember right, this also happened before at some other point of the vid. It looked a little as if your partner caught you off-balance.

The second thing: i don't think Boogar's far from right. You do have a lot of drive in your fh strokes. So if you want to change your game to a more spin oriented game just try to stick to the T05 and try more "brushing". A friend of mine often says: den Ball "dünner treffen (streicheln) und weniger voll (treffen).
But if you don't want to rebuild your game completely, i think T64 might be more "your cup o' tea", and you can instead work on the placement and try to play EVERY (let me repeat that: EVERY) of your shots exactly where you want it to go, especially the ones you're being forced to under pressure.
Hope this helps a little and doesn't sound too negative. After all: nice vid.
[Emoji2]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Hey Baumschule, nice vid. Two things come to my mind after seeing your video, but please keep in mind i might be an experienced player but far from being a coach, though:

First thing was, at around 6:46 that backhand shot. I guess you already know, why it went to the net, but i still want to say one thing, 'cause this also has happened to me before. Instead of moving forwards into the ball you are moving backwards. If I remember right, this also happened before at some other point of the vid. It looked a little as if your partner caught you off-balance.

The second thing: i don't think Boogar's far from right. You do have a lot of drive in your fh strokes. So if you want to change your game to a more spin oriented game just try to stick to the T05 and try more "brushing". A friend of mine often says: den Ball "dünner treffen (streicheln) und weniger voll (treffen).
But if you don't want to rebuild your game completely, i think T64 might be more "your cup o' tea", and you can instead work on the placement and try to play EVERY (let me repeat that: EVERY) of your shots exactly where you want it to go, especially the ones you're being forced to under pressure.
Hope this helps a little and doesn't sound too negative. After all: nice vid.
[Emoji2]

Jep, i think I missed every backhand shot I attempted in the video:D That walking backwards thing is something I do quite often when I don't make the conscious effort to move forward.
Yeah you're right I do drive a lot rather than pure looping. It's part of my game and means I can generate lots of speed even on 3rd ball atacks against heavy backspin. Consistency of my forehand is in general pretty good (for Bezirksliga at least:p) and even people playing BOL comment on the speed and power of my forehand so its always a bit hard for me to abandon the thing people like most about my game. Since the season is starting in a few weeks I'm not sure how much I want to change but as I already mentioned in the conversation with nextlevel I'm definitely going to attempt a more looping approach on monday. Maybe I'll post another video for you guys to see how that goes but this one already took 2 hours to upload so I'm not sure. What is different about T64 that makes you think it would suit me better?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
baumschule said:
Ok, I'll try to change that on monday. At the moment around 1620. Used to be at 1660 though before I went to university. How does that translate to the USATT rating?

You would be 2000 USATT +/- 100 depending on who you play. Many east coast 1800-1900 USATT rated players who would carry a 1500 TTR in Germany can defeat you in tourneys. You face 5 of this class in a tourney and it is unlikely you defeat all of them, so you lose points regardless.

The camera angle you chose is good to see your feet, but the height of camera is way low, very difficult to see some other things. If you could get the camera another .3-.4 meter higher, that would help a lot.

Hard to tell, but it looks like you have a modified grip, kinda like modified Seemiller. Like NL saiz, OK to me, you get real fast bast speed at impact and your stroke is repeatable.

says what [IMG]
@baumschule Although I am much lower level than you, maybe I have something that would help your backhand consistency:

Bend you knees and bend from the hips so that you hit the shot at your chest height. Maybe even close to neck height.

When you hit the backhand, especially a loop, very low near your stomach/hips, it is very difficult to get the right contact.

Try it out for yourself. I think it will help.

http://imgur.com/a/jI8rq

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Jep, i think I missed every backhand shot I attempted in the video:D That walking backwards thing is something I do quite often when I don't make the conscious effort to move forward.
Yeah you're right I do drive a lot rather than pure looping. It's part of my game and means I can generate lots of speed even on 3rd ball atacks against heavy backspin. Consistency of my forehand is in general pretty good (for Bezirksliga at least:p) and even people playing BOL comment on the speed and power of my forehand so its always a bit hard for me to abandon the thing people like most about my game. Since the season is starting in a few weeks I'm not sure how much I want to change but as I already mentioned in the conversation with nextlevel I'm definitely going to attempt a more looping approach on monday. Maybe I'll post another video for you guys to see how that goes but this one already took 2 hours to upload so I'm not sure. What is different about T64 that makes you think it would suit me better?

I think T64 suits your playstyle atm more than T05.
T64 is faster and has a slightly lower throw than T05, hence i think it suits your more speed-oriented game better.
It might be different if your game was more spinbased. Maybe you can use someone's racket to test it before you buy it.

Reactions: baumschule
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
You would be 2000 USATT +/- 100 depending on who you play. Many east coast 1800-1900 USATT rated players who would carry a 1500 TTR in Germany can defeat you in tourneys. You face 5 of this class in a tourney and it is unlikely you defeat all of them, so you lose points regardless.

The camera angle you chose is good to see your feet, but the height of camera is way low, very difficult to see some other things. If you could get the camera another .3-.4 meter higher, that would help a lot.

Hard to tell, but it looks like you have a modified grip, kinda like modified Seemiller. Like NL saiz, OK to me, you get real fast bast speed at impact and your stroke is repeatable.

I'll try to get my phone higher then next time. Yes I use a very forehand oriented grip for my forehand strokes that I guess is a bit similar to the Seemiller. I changed to that a couple of years ago because the normal grip I used before caused a lot of pain in my wrist. This one was the only one that let me play without pain.

@baumschule Although I am much lower level than you, maybe I have something that would help your backhand consistency:

Bend you knees and bend from the hips so that you hit the shot at your chest height. Maybe even close to neck height.

When you hit the backhand, especially a loop, very low near your stomach/hips, it is very difficult to get the right contact.

Try it out for yourself. I think it will help.

http://imgur.com/a/jI8rq

Good point. This usually happens when I'm doing the walking away from the ball thing.

says what [IMG]
Good point. This usually happens when I'm doing the walking away from the ball thing.
I'm the biggest offender of this, hence why I brought it up. It makes a huge difference though, and someone your level can probably make more use of the proper position.

It's like the power, spin and consistency are tripled and all you had to do was get low and wide! Now, staying there during the whole rally...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
I don't really know of I should post it here but I'm just going to do it.
I simply want to say thank you to everyone who responded to me and is going to do so in the future. I never was too much involved in online communities because I always preferred talking to people in person and was (and still am a bit) afraid that I don't get across what I want to say or that the way I write in english gets perceived as unfriendly and arrogant. Thank you again for everyone who takes time to read my posts and the ones of everyone else wich makes this community welcoming and helpful.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Yesterday and today i am visiting a seminar given by two former china national team members!
Its a lot of fun and its insane how fast they can see whats wrong with your game and technique.
I like their demonstrations the best, they are like lets do different kinds of blocks to change the rhythm. He topspin's the ball and she just destroys it with a block so fast i have never seen anything like it xD easy right?
She looks a lot like Lia Xiaoxia btw :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Long story but the screen name I made when I lived in Germany 15 yrs ago, the flag is when I registered for TTD, and living in USA... I had to exit the military one day.

Lived 20 yrs outside my country in military and it was a lot of great experiences.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk