Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
Your game looks very solid for someone who has been playing only 2 or three years. There are the usual adult learner issues but we are who we are.

Watch how you stand and practice at the table and be very conscious of it at all times. You seem to get locked into a backhand stance very often and then get stuck blocking. You transition out of it into a forehand stance pretty well sometimes, but it will fall apart against better opponents. Try to find one good stance, probably slightly forehand biased but mostly square to the table out of which you feel comfortable playing strong forehands and backhands when rallying. Most of the turning should come from hips and shoulders unless you feel you have the footwork speed to transition. IT will allow you to counter faster.

I think this backhand stance issue or more likely lack of consciousness of foot positioning is the source of 90% of your problems, if you fix it, good things will happen more often. You often play your forehand out of it and you end up not getting the weight transfer. It may work okay now, but it will not work when the opponents get better and block more balls back and you do not have the recovery.

The other thing is to play with more spin. Unless your opponent is really good, I don't see any errors off missed blocks or long balls when he makes contact. For someone with your power, it makes more sense if you want a quick improvement to take the ball a bit later and put more into it than to just flat hit it off the bounce and get it back on the table. It might reduce the number of shots you have to play in some rallies. IT doesn't mean you should play this way all the time but just try it. Let the ball come and learn to spin it back on the table even if you are not rushing your opponent.

This means that on the backhand, learn to turn your wrist over to add some spin to the ball when playing in rallies. You can also try an elbow movement but turning the wrist over at least is better than just a flat counter.

In any case, you have a good coach, and you play pretty good. MAybe the things I am seeing are not that big a deal.

Thanks for the feedback,I agree on the stance, the idea on my head is to start rallies backhand to backhand as in to avoid my opponent forehand, but I can see now this is limiting my forehand and it is not like im being aggressive on my backhand either. I agree also on the weight transfer issue, however I really think it was only on this match or may be in competitions in general (the match was an official match btw). In these kind of situations I tend to play what seems to be safe and working rather than what I normally do. But maybe what I feel is not what is really happening, in my club I tend to play mid-distance with alotta rotations and work from the hip and waist as you suggested, my stomach sometimes hurt but may be Im not doing it right. I have two sets in footage against a player from my club,I guess it will kinda clarify this for me. I will look into stance and positioning issue online, we don't really practice that.

Blade Giveaway:

Post to the thread a full match you played at your club recently (you must have played it within 5 days of your post).

Prizes are (and these are all used blades in varying conditions):

1. Vega Pro FL
2. Vega Pro ST
3. DD ALC - reduced head size and weighted handle
4. DD ALC
5. Stiga Eternity *slightly chipped outer ply from removed rubbers*
6. Stiga Eternity

I reserve the right to change the offered blade and throw in something else if I have it or am in the mood to. You have till December 17. Blades and prizes are given away on a first come first serve basis. You pick what you want.

All the blades are shakehand.

Altho PPH is a bit late, here it goes nways!... Hope you guys will enjoy! My buddy has SP BH...

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Lost to Heavy Spin 7-11 in 5th set... At 6-6 the next 5 points he got 4, like FOUR were nets edge balls. I played my best possible tactical match and the nets edges were raw deal. Went 8-3 w/l in u2000 and will likely lose 45 points from that event. Overall good performance to make semis in a strong field. Coulda been finals.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That's what you get for using M+ instead of M... lol

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
That's what you get for using M+ instead of M... lol
Haha3x friggin haha you motor scooter... You already got ur Heavy Spin badge achievement.

On the practical side, my Nexy Arche blade with Karis M... might have been better or worse.

Tell ya what, I will use my Paris M setup for the u2100s and see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks for the feedback,I agree on the stance, the idea on my head is to start rallies backhand to backhand as in to avoid my opponent forehand, but I can see now this is limiting my forehand and it is not like im being aggressive on my backhand either. I agree also on the weight transfer issue, however I really think it was only on this match or may be in competitions in general (the match was an official match btw). In these kind of situations I tend to play what seems to be safe and working rather than what I normally do. But maybe what I feel is not what is really happening, in my club I tend to play mid-distance with alotta rotations and work from the hip and waist as you suggested, my stomach sometimes hurt but may be Im not doing it right. I have two sets in footage against a player from my club,I guess it will kinda clarify this for me. I will look into stance and positioning issue online, we don't really practice that.

Playing backhand rallies is fine, playing backhand rallies in an extreme backhand stance close to the table is a no-no. You have to learn to play your backhand and forehand out of similar stances close to the table. Otherwise, good players take advantage of your transition requirements by placing a fast ball to the side your footwork is not ready for because they know the shot will be weak. You need to be more neutral to the table.

What you are doing is normal for many learning adults, especially the ones who are allowed to practice strokes in the positions they feel comfortable in without combining forehand and backhand consistently close to the table. But to get better fast, you have to either play strong shots that don't come back out of that stance, or shots that limit the angle of play in a way that forces the ball to come back to you. I used to get away with playing that way because everyone tried to attack the backhand and it was my stronger side. But good coaches would tell their students to play my forehand or to play my transition game and then I would struggle. Similar issues kept me from developing a strong forehand flick or push game for many years. Mine is still below my overall level, but it is better than it used to be.

I worked out my ready position to be slightly biased for the forehand and then to take a step forward with the right foot to play balls close to the table or to take a slight step back with the left foot to play balls down the line or for more aggressive backhands. But because of my experience, I practice all my strokes out of that mild forehand bias stance and can play forehands and backhands to all positions on the table out of it even though the backhand down the line is really hard for me. But then it makes me play quicker in response to incoming balls so the only issues are when someone plays to my elbow and I have to play a hard shot (means I have to move).

So stance and positioning is something that you may not consciously practice, but all adult players need to be aware of it. It even helps with strategy vs opponents at lower levels. You can tell what shot they want to play by how they stand and where you should put the ball to get a weak shot. I guess I know because people used to do it to me all the time.

What you do is that you try to practice as many shots as possible out of one stance. And by as many shots, I mean forehand and backhand loop and block to all points on the table. Do it with multiball, X and H drills and random feeds from both forehand and backhand. This will be the stance you call or link to your ready position. Then all the footwork around the first two or three balls is about getting out of that stance to play the ball and getting back into it to play the next ball and knowing how to return to it or what your options are when you are not in it IT's okay to leave the stance to play aggressive shots, but it is not okay to be out of the stance after playing a passive shot as you cannot predict where your opponent is going and you need to be ready.

I am responding mostly for people without coaches, sequencing your moves in and out of your ready position can take years to fully develop and until you develop it, there will always be serves you have trouble returning which is the biggest gap as the earlier in the point you have a weakness, the bigger it becomes.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
Haven't played in months. Withdrawal symptoms started settling in.

Luckily my partner is coming back for the Christmas, and I have time as well, so we will go and hit up the usual venue for some training. Will probably get some footage too.

My back hasn't completely healed and I still get some small symptoms if I push it too much, but as long as I bend my knees more as to not tax the waist too much, and stay relaxed during my shots, I think I should be able to play normally. Not to forget the warmup.

I've been doing squats everyday for the past half year, we'll see if it's had a real world effect. Either way I'll have to force myself to take some load off my back and bend my knees more. Doing shadows I figured out that my knees are not bent enough, but I bend from my waist far too much, and it puts a lot of stress on my back that I could avoid. I also try to swing too damn hard and it just slows the stroke down.

I took the 729 FX out of the case and took the wrap off after all these months, and it still tacks! That's some reliable stuff. :D

This user has no status.
@NetLevel here is my two sets at my club (if you have 6 minutes) , it was a tournament for the club members but the score begins at -3:3 to my advantage since the guy is two times my level on paper. But in reality head to head score is 1:1 with normal score system, thats why my opponent was a bit anxious. All this just to say that it was a friendly match for me and I played my game without overthining my points. I could see the same blocking and positioning habits that I now started to hate but I've executed at least acceptable quality mid-distance top spins, or that what I think anywway

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
@Musaab
in what french division are you playing ? whats your French ranking ?

This my 5th mid-season phase in competitions , I started to play in D2 for 4 phases and this last one I played in D1, but I've been called few times for R3 and pre-regional. I started at 550 and I finished this phase about 780. Are you the frenco-japanese guy from the french forum ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
@NetLevel here is my two sets at my club (if you have 6 minutes) , it was a tournament for the club members but the score begins at -3:3 to my advantage since the guy is two times my level on paper. But in reality head to head score is 1:1 with normal score system, thats why my opponent was a bit anxious. All this just to say that it was a friendly match for me and I played my game without overthining my points. I could see the same blocking and positioning habits that I now started to hate but I've executed at least acceptable quality mid-distance top spins, or that what I think anywway

My main point isn't that you don't play topspins, my main point is that you do not convert enough of your power into spin. Look at the point that begins at 1:56. You serve long, your opponent spins the ball slowly and you block it long. Given your power level, this should be happening on more of your shots - they should be blocked long if you put the spin on them. But maybe TWI can give us a USATT equivalent so I can put your play in context.

Very often you are trying to just return the ball as quickly as possible rather than preparing your stroke to play a spinny ball and then blocking only if you are rushed for time. All I am saying is improve your spin timing and focus and prepare your stroke to spin not to just flat hit. You have more time than you think you do. Your ball should travel through the air more slowly but with more energy in the rotation.

You don't have to back up to spin you can spin at the table. It just requires preparation and timing.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
yes i'm in the French forum same user name.
I'm not half Japanese, i'm not Japanese at all.

I think you're doing very well for someone starting late in TT. you have a good club and a good coach. You're doing some very nice FH on the video, and able to execute 2-3 or more in a row with spin and power. BH is not your best shot but you manage not to panic and keep the ball in play. thats the right attitude.

Keep the good job ! I think you can improve your rating quite a bit if you can overcome the weaknesses in your game. I see your footwork is not very good. BH/FH transition. Keep working on serve/receive. I know French club players like quickly to go far from the table to go for the big shots. I think one has to learn to stay more at the table but thats my opinion.

So if I was you, i would try to work on basic footwork drills mainly. and also on skills which make a difference at your level: i.e. making no mistakes in pushes.

@NL
His rating I believe would be <1500 USTTT but to me he has potential to improve at least 1 level quickly if he keeps on.
[I believe myself to be around 1350-1400 French rating - 1350 was my best rating many years ago. Last year in France, i beat everyone below this rating except 1 player in summer tournaments , and i was far from ridiculous against better ratings. when i checked thats around 2000 rating in US for me. ------ and he says he is 870 so i'd say below 1500]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
@NL
His rating I believe would be <1500 USTTT but to me he has potential to improve at least 1 level quickly if he keeps on.
[I believe myself to be around 1350-1400 French rating - 1350 was my best rating many years ago. Last year in France, i beat everyone below this rating except 1 player in summer tournaments , and i was far from ridiculous against better ratings. when i checked thats around 2000 rating in US for me. ------ and he says he is 870 so i'd say below 1500]

He is clearly going to get better fast, that is why I am asking him to raise the spin level. Players like him, once they learn to *really* spin, they gain 200 to 400 pts very easily because they raise their consistency to a higher level and some players just can't deal with the extra spin combined with the power.

He has good basic spin but for his power, he is losing a lot of spin that he can get with better timing and a more spin focused approach to the ball. Since he has excess power, this is the easiest way for him to get better. If he was younger, he could work on speed, but that is not where his strength right now is.

But for 1500 USATT, this is a very solid and well structured game and it will only get better.

Reactions: Musaab
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Nice video Musaab . My two cents :

1. Try not to fall back from the table too much , you should not fall behind the line where you are starting your initial movement when receiving serve no matter what ... atleast for now .. this should help you shorten your strokes and use compact body movement ..
2. Remember that power == big swing is not always true , power is more about timing and forearm whip coupled with snap from the waist and some weight transfer ...
3. It might be a good idea to do some close to the table footwork drills .. if you search this forum for suggestions you will find.
4. Remember to tell yourself the high percentage of returns from your specific serve and how you are going to initiate attack on the third ball for those various possibilities or not , every time you serve
5. I know this last point is a little controversial , but I would try to attack every long ball with spin , remember spin , not power .. instead of pushing .. push should be avoided for long balls unless you are really uncomfortable with the incoming ball , like alternate pushing and looping against long pips etc. Or if you are actually trying to get the opposition to attack first which you are going to block into uncomfortable placements. But such a strategy needs a very good defensive technique and control over the push .. hope it helps

... may be worth spending some time with a personal coach to fix these things .. compact technique .. footwork and third ball attack ...

My main point isn't that you don't play topspins, my main point is that you do not convert enough of your power into spin. Look at the point that begins at 1:56. You serve long, your opponent spins the ball slowly and you block it long. Given your power level, this should be happening on more of your shots - they should be blocked long if you put the spin on them. But maybe TWI can give us a USATT equivalent so I can put your play in context.

Very often you are trying to just return the ball as quickly as possible rather than preparing your stroke to play a spinny ball and then blocking only if you are rushed for time. All I am saying is improve your spin timing and focus and prepare your stroke to spin not to just flat hit. You have more time than you think you do. Your ball should travel through the air more slowly but with more energy in the rotation.

You don't have to back up to spin you can spin at the table. It just requires preparation and timing.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey Musaab,

Great videos - Considering the amount of time you've been playing - It's very impressive!

With the right coaching and practice, you'll improve in double quick time!

All of the points that have been raised are very good, although I'd like to add a few comments:

I can't work out how tall you are, so you might want to ignore this comment completely.......

I'm 6ft 4, and find my best position to attack (once the rally starts), is 1-2 metres away from the table. I find this gives me enough room to react and take advantage of my reach/power.

HOWEVER - I'm a nightmare for going back too much! Rendering my power and spin completely useless at times. The problem is.... I enjoy "fishing/defending" - whatever you want to call it. So this year I've made a conscious effort to stay more aggressive and it has paid off.

What NL said about spin/power is absolutely true - 70% speed with 100% spin beats 100% speed with 70% spin all day long. When you drop back from the table, try and really arc the loops with speed and spin.

I am in no way endorsing my own technique as gospel, and there are many things I need to work on (some of which I already have, as this video was from last season).

But... Given I reckon I'm only a bit bigger than you, and you seem to play a similar style to me, this is what I mean (and I think what NL means), by dropping back and attacking with spin where possible.

Note: I defend too much in these videos - Both guys I play against are better players than me (this is just the "highlight" points from a training session last year).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LboB7iPsXok" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>