Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
The average player doesn't go to the forums or have an understanding of what they're purchasing. A person that wants to be a looper and loop fast may go for some fast setups. Now purchasing a fast setup and thinking they can do something with it, they'll practice that thing with the paddle and make that their style potentially. Or they may realize with this stiff blade, counterhits are giving them a lot more points and when they try to loop they just aren't hitting it enough to justify looping. So they may adapt to the equipment's strengths in this instance.

While another player who wants to be a looper may find carl's paddle thinking it's a fast good one like the first guy thought his was fast and good, and find that their loops land more and more, making that their style.

We hear "stick with your paddle don't change all the time. equipment doesn't matter it's the player and their strokes." but could telling someone to stick with their paddle while they're seeking a style that doesn't suit that paddle be a bad idea?

says what [IMG]
Shuki, Danny Seemiller uses an ALL blade with Tenergy 05
1.9mm. I think that speaks for itself. I would not be surprised if a coach told me my blades were too fast for me.
We do need to remember that top end carbon blades are literally made for 2700+ professionals.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, look, the carbon blades that the high top pros use, like Viscaria, Timo Boll ALC, Michael Maze, those are not really such fast blades. They are Off speed blades with good dwell, control and spin. There are very few top pros using things like Schlager Carbon or Primorac Carbon or Garaydia T5000. The ones who do, have a pretty distinctive play style like Schlager.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cornel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Shuki, Danny Seemiller uses an ALL blade with Tenergy 05
1.9mm. I think that speaks for itself. I would not be surprised if a coach told me my blades were too fast for me.
He's also a professional player that had coaching. guidance. My example is of a beginner. Not only that, but with the power he gets on his strokes from his grip alone, playing with faster equipment and developing that aggressive of a game from a beginner would be really tough. He was known for how spinny and powerful his loops were. Him using an ALL blade kind of backs up how he would develop those loops and not be a hitter doesn't it? He's also said in the past that he can get just as much spin with a thinner sponge as he can with a thicker one. A player looking to play the way he's playing may want to look into his kind of equipment.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Cornel, Dan can use whatever he wants because he is semi-pro.

I'm just giving a reminder that top end carbon blades are indeed top end carbon blades, made for pros. Yes, some are made with lower level amateurs in mind, but the point still stands, don't you think?

I agree with you to some extent. 2700+ means that the player will, most definitely, have a pretty good deal with a sponsor, and is very likely to have a custom-made blade from the brand he is representing. I am sure you will agree that tt brands are more interested in making money rather than delivering the best material they have to the ordinary players. And what is the best way to make money in this situation? Selling an expensive product to as many people as possible. 2700+ players are less than 1% of the 300 million tt players around the world, and as I mentioned above, they are already having their equipment for free. As it is known, the lower the level, the more players you'll have. But, obviously, you are not likely to sell a 350$ SZLC blade to someone who has picked the tt bat for less than a month.

So, I don't think the point still stands, I'd better go for the option that high end carbon blades are made for intermediate-advanced players, so this way companies can make more money out of selling their blades. For the 2700+ players there are either custom-made blades, pro-version blades, or(which is not very likely) the pro will pick himself, by hand, a blade from a shop, and believe me, that blade will play very differently from one that some will order from internet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I agree with you to some extent. 2700+ means that the player will, most definitely, have a pretty good deal with a sponsor, and is very likely to have a custom-made blade from the brand he is representing. I am sure you will agree that tt brands are more interested in making money rather than delivering the best material they have to the ordinary players. And what is the best way to make money in this situation? Selling an expensive product to as many people as possible. 2700+ players are less than 1% of the 300 million tt players around the world, and as I mentioned above, they are already having their equipment for free. As it is known, the lower the level, the more players you'll have. But, obviously, you are not likely to sell a 350$ SZLC blade to someone who has picked the tt bat for less than a month.

So, I don't think the point still stands, I'd better go for the option that high end carbon blades are made for intermediate-advanced players, so this way companies can make more money out of selling their blades. For the 2700+ players there are either custom-made blades, pro-version blades, or(which is not very likely) the pro will pick himself, by hand, a blade from a shop, and believe me, that blade will play very differently from one that some will order from internet.

How did you pick your first raquet decent setup? I remember googling "top table tennis paddles" and found paddle palace. I ended up getting an appelgreen allplay with mark V on both sides because their website had good reviews and it wasn't too expensive for the funds I had at the time. I guarentee if I wasn't a starting college student at the time and had more money I would have spent the most I could reasonably afford. Never going to clubs at the time or even knowing about a table tennis forum, I was led to believe the more I spend on my paddle, the better quality it would be.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
He's also a professional player that had coaching. guidance. My example is of a beginner. Not only that, but with the power he gets on his strokes from his grip alone, playing with faster equipment and developing that aggressive of a game from a beginner would be really tough. He was known for how spinny and powerful his loops were. Him using an ALL blade kind of backs up how he would develop those loops and not be a hitter doesn't it? He's also said in the past that he can get just as much spin with a thinner sponge as he can with a thicker one. A player looking to play the way he's playing may want to look into his kind of equipment.

My point was that you can play an offensive style with an all round blade even up to the 2400+ level. Obviously the rubber is important. The point still stands though.

A friend of mine was told by his coach to get rid of the one-ply Hinoki he loved so much and to switch to a Grubba all blade and use that for the rest of his life. 1800 player too. Now I am scared as to what Brett will tell me when he comes round this weekend.

This user has no status.
How did you pick your first raquet decent setup? I remember googling "top table tennis paddles" and found paddle palace. I ended up getting an appelgreen allplay with mark V on both sides because their website had good reviews and it wasn't too expensive for the funds I had at the time. I guarentee if I wasn't a starting college student at the time and had more money I would have spent the most I could reasonably afford. Never going to clubs at the time or even knowing about a table tennis forum, I was led to believe the more I spend on my paddle, the better quality it would be.

I don't know if my very first personal racket could be called a decent setup - Galaxy T-2 + Globe 999 rubbers. I have picked it based on TTDB ratings - looking back it was a bad decision. I'll tell you about the next setup that was decent for sure - BTY Kong Linghui Euro + Acuda S1 and Acuda S2. I picked that setup after trying the racket of one club member - he had the same setup except Acuda S1 was on both sides.

Of course when choosing the first paddle, everyone that has enough resources is willing to pay more, but to get something of higher quality - that is a common instinct. And of course, as a rule, the more expensive equipment is, the higher the quality. But I don't agree that the even the most expensive commercial blades have been designed for 2700+ players first of all. And I said above why - because they don't order their equipment from an online store, for example.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
My point was that you can play an offensive style with an all round blade even up to the 2400+ level. Obviously the rubber is important. The point still stands though.

A friend of mine was told by his coach to get rid of the one-ply Hinoki he loved so much and to switch to a Grubba all blade and use that for the rest of his life. 1800 player too. Now I am scared as to what Brett will tell me when he comes round this weekend.

With that in mind NL, I'm thinking of grabbing either OSP V or the V+ to replace the SPW. Which one do you think I should go with? I'm probably gonna ask for 86-88gr for the weight.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Brett's gonna tell you to use a Virtuoso like he does. Hahaha.

Nah, just kidding. Brett already knows you are an EJ. He also already knows that what you are trying to balance in your choice of equipment is a bigger challenge than most people have: the balance of power and control, speed and spin, added to the particular circumstance where you need to have the racket help you a little extra because of your joint condition that limits what your knees allow your hips and legs to put into the ball and what your shoulder allows as well.

Besides, your ball quality, and therefore your overall stroke level is high enough for you to use whatever you want and you know enough about equipment to make intelligent choices about the spin/speed-speed/spin ratio of your equipment and what you like to do in your game strategy.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My point with what the top pros use is that:

A lot of those expensive composite rackets that are made are not for the top pros. They are for the people who spend their money and buy rackets. In a way I think that is okay. The TT companies have a right to make money off people who don't know enough about equipment to understand what would be good for developing their game.

The blades that would be most useful for developing technique for the vast majority of players would be relatively inexpensive. And the blades that the vast majority of players who should use those $15.00-$50.00 all wood blades are using $200.00 composite blades that look cool as hell but probably don't help their game.

Right now I am remembering that kid Crayon who said he was 1200 even though he never played a tournament and said he couldn't loop. But he sure wanted the hot off the press Butterfly Garaydia T5000.

That is who those blades are made for. And I don't see anyone in the top 10 using one of them.

Look at Jun Mizutani: Butterfly made him that SZLC blade. He played with it for a couple of tournaments and went right back to a much more intelligent blade. And the regular JM blade is right in the same basic class as a Viscaria which is not really that fast or fancy.

Reactions: Cornel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Off current topic , I played some more with FX-P , the initial hiccups were because the gluing was not proper ... and I am happy to say , I like FX-P on my backhand , I would say its a compromise on power , but the softer rubber is more forgiving and allows you to take balls later , both on counter loops and blocks on spinny balls .... while that is not my goal , but its okay , the only thing right now is that I am not used to the sound of softer rubbers , it almost feels like the rubber is bottoming out ...

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Off current topic , I played some more with FX-P , the initial hiccups were because the gluing was not proper ... and I am happy to say , I like FX-P on my backhand , I would say its a compromise on power , but the softer rubber is more forgiving and allows you to take balls later , both on counter loops and blocks on spinny balls .... while that is not my goal , but its okay , the only thing right now is that I am not used to the sound of softer rubbers , it almost feels like the rubber is bottoming out ...

Sometimes the extra sound makes the opponent scared. Hahaha.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
With that in mind NL, I'm thinking of grabbing either OSP V or the V+ to replace the SPW. Which one do you think I should go with? I'm probably gonna ask for 86-88gr for the weight.

I haven't used either so I seriously can't tell you. I am a limba lover though, but everyone is different.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

They are both frickin' awesome. You can't go wrong.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I haven't used either so I seriously can't tell you. I am a limba lover though, but everyone is different.

Are you actually using the Stiga Eternity you have listed? How does that feel?