Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Bumped into my bathroom door with my knee, feels like a so called bone bruise which I had over a year ago (confirmed by MRI then), back then I had to stop playing for 4 months or so... Was a horrible time and now again :/

Sorry to hear Sir, a Like for a speedy and healthy recovery!

This user has no status.
Bumped into my bathroom door with my knee, feels like a so called bone bruise which I had over a year ago (confirmed by MRI then), back then I had to stop playing for 4 months or so... Was a horrible time and now again :/

Get better quickly!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
thanks guys =) it's not the pain but not being able to play what bothers me... let's hope it does take less time than last time.

Hope you get better soon! If it offers you any comfort, I'm resting my knee also as I twisted it at work. For what has happened to my other knee, this time I'm not playing at all until it is completely fine. So it will take a little while.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hope you get better soon! If it offers you any comfort, I'm resting my knee also as I twisted it at work. For what has happened to my other knee, this time I'm not playing at all until it is completely fine. So it will take a little while.

Ack! Sorry to hear si-hing! A Like for a speedy and healthy recovery to you as well!

*must train more to prepare for JeffM's RPB as he has to take time off MUHAHAHAHA*

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Some highlights from club on 2/4/18

After a bit here, I'll post a match I had with my training partner and I want your guys feedback to help me work on some things. But need to analyze it myself so I can put together some preliminary thoughts. More on that later. Stay tuned.

Until then, here's a quick (1:49) fun video.

Hope you enjoy. Got some weird Penhold twiddling play in here for ya. :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Hey,
nice video editing and some nice shots in there.
What you have to work on is your stance and legs. You barely move when playing and you don't bend your knees. Maybe also do some core workouts, you don't look tensed when waiting for the opponent's serve. :)

Work on your legs with wall sitting and stretching, and Falkenberg and 3/4 FH looping.
always go low when receiving, you will go lower automatically if you got more power in your legs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Okay guys here it is. My match with my training partner Ben who beats me 95% of the time and I'd like to change that. So please tell me your general overall impressions or analysis or tell me specific stuff. like "on this point, don't do this. He wins those style of points. etc" Can be broad or specific.

Thank you to any of you who have the time to contribute.

Little background info. Ben is 9 years younger than me. I'm 39 and have a tricky right knee that is healthy (don't let the support fool you) but is prone to tendentious. That's why i wear it and it can flare up if I push it too hard... Key point everybody. Stretch & work out. :)

So here's the video 1st and my initial comments below. I might add to it as I see fit later.

Match Stastics:

Long Pip Game
LP Helped (either foreced an error or point won because of setup): 4
LP Hurt (either error on my part or point lost because of bad hit): 5
LP Neutral (made no significant difference): 4

There is the psychological factor. Someone has to think about what they serve me spin wise. They have to focus what I'm hitting with when I'm serving.

Weakness though exploited in another match of mine that night is a dead short serve to my BH side. Easy with RPB inverted flip. Hard without it.
If staying with this style, have to learn an aggressive TPB punch on short dead serves.

10:08 - picking on no RPB. Was off the table and he went to my TPB on that last hit smartly. Really needed to counter loop here.

Push Game
Pushes hit in with inverted: 21
Pushes hit out with inverted: 5
% chance my push is going in: 80.7% (probably should be in the 90s. But I don't think that was the main issue this match. That being said, man that H3 bites. I think there was a little bit of that going on in that I'm not use to that)

Xu Xin FH Style sidespin Flicks on service receive : 2 / 0 (points directly off that)

Service Errors
My Service Errors: (game1) 1 (game2) 1 (game 3) 1 (game 4) 1 (game 5) 0
Ben's Service Errors: (game1) 0 (game2) 0 (game 3) 1 (game 4) 0 (game 5) 0
I've got to clean this up. When a match is close, you can't afford to give away free points. That being said, I try tough serves. I get a fair number of points on those serves. I have to push it a little bit. But still.... 4 points to his 1 is too many.

Match Impressions:
#1 issue: Footwork & stance. It's my guess that most of my misses are not being in correct position and reaching. Need to play lower, bend the knees more (which is tricky with a tendentious knee but that's why we work out to try to get there) and maybe try to integrate small jump between hits. Just too flat footed while playing. Barely move. This is simply a hard one to correct. Never had formal coaching and there is none of that kind near me. Will really have to work hard in staying conscious between points & shots to keep my feet moving or do those little jumps to stay nimble.

Feel like Ben, while being an attacking player by nature, vs me largely pushes and chops baiting me into attacking first. I don't think his chops or pushes are particularly good. They go long a lot of times and are high. So I just need to get to the point where I can consistently punish him for playing that way. The good news is that I figure that if he keeps doing that, he will stay the same and eventually (knock on wood) I'll get to the point to where I hit those in and attack at a greater %.

My poor man's He Zhi Wen wide curving serve to the FH works on him slightly better than I thought (had been avoiding it for the longest time because he smokes it a lot of times) but he still handles it better than most people. He knows to largely loop that ball and he takes service receive from the middle of the table so he can cover that shot. He's perfectly willing to take down the line serves with his BH. That being said, while his loops are often heavier & spinier than what I face with other people, if I cannot TPB those down the line for winners more often, perhaps I need to turn the corner more to get readdy to FH counter those back. In fact over all I'd say when he FH loops to my TPB, the block goes long. I need to improve on this. He bails me out sometimes in that he misses that shot long at a decent %. Plus it changes it up from him always pushing or chopping a lot of my serves. Forces him to actually try to do something to win the point. :p And if he chops or pushes that serve, that works out for me.

This style is fun to play but I'm not completely sold on it. Truth be told I play FH so much, I don't think it matters as much what I put on the BH. I largely play like a single winged penholder anyways. While I prefer the TPB for blocking, my RPB is much more powerful for sure. IDK. Honestly I think I'm about the same player with duel inverted or Inverted/LPs

Thanks for your help fellas.

<body id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 680px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">Match Impressions:</body>

That's your hand sliding the head more down in that natural penhold FH as that's what you're use to. I had the same thing happen when I toyed with the idea of Shakehand in the past.

As your penhold brother, I command you to stop this nonsense right now and come back to where your heart is. :p :p
Agreed...

I have yet to recover my FH from the Jpen days. I kind of wish I never quit to play SH defense. But now, when I play Jpen I can barely keep the balls on the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Thanks for posting this, I think you self-analysis is good. Try to slow down between points; this gives you a chance to think about what you want to have happen (esp. on your serve), and to process what just happened. Around 2:15 your opponent is rolling his arm around before your serve, but you don't notice this. It's not a problem in terms of him not being ready or you trying to rush him, but is a sign that you don't look at his side of the table to see where he is positioned, which side he might be favoring, etc. Slowing down can also help you recall the things you want to work on in the point, in this case staying lower and moving your feet.

"I largely play like a single winged penholder anyways." OK, but this is not compatible with poor footwork (and a dodgy knee). Genuine question - why do you play penhold rather than shakehand?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
"I largely play like a single winged penholder anyways." OK, but this is not compatible with poor footwork (and a dodgy knee). Genuine question - why do you play penhold rather than shakehand?

Good point. I will try to slow down between points and in my service setup. Probably give me more time to gather myself. My plan. If nothing else, maybe it could help with some of those careless service errors.

I started out playing shakehand years ago in my 20s. I played lightly. Nothing serious. I felt like my BH was strong but my FH was weak. Then one day messing around I turned the paddle over (my brother played Jpen so that's probably where the influence came from) and my FH was instantly better. At the time, I didn't know RPB was a thing so I just learned and got use to RPB. It wasn't until years later that I discovered that RPB was in vogue. I was I'm guessing 31 when I made the switch. At that time, probably had maybe 4 years total of playing TT shakehand in my life. Really started playing weekly since I was 31 and playing penhold ever since. Toyed with the idea of shakehand in the past but that FH is just so awkward now, I don't think I could stand to take such a giant step back.

Long story short? I simply love penhold more. That's why I play it.

I'm not sold completely on the single wing TPB style yet. I might give duel inverted another go. We'll see.

My biggest problem with footwork is no formal training and bad habits. But i'm really, really going to work on trying to have more active stance & foot movement so hopefully in the next video, win or lose we'll see some improvement that will pay off in the long run.

Last edited:
Suds,

Regarding your video vs. Ben. I have a few observations.

I feel like you play his side spin serves as if they have more under than they do. There were a few that popped up as a result.
He also has a scoop motion at the last second sending you a side top serve. You looped them with too much lift and they went long or pushed them and they went high (I do this plenty too, so doctor heal thy self). You seemed to adjust to these in the 4th game very well, often mixing up LP returns and inverted returns...I think you put some of the LP returns in the net though.

Btw, cool and interesting style and you twiddle often to LP forehand!!! Very difficult.

Your pendulum serve were you hide the paddle behind your body on the backswing (not hiding the contact point, so perfectly legal) seems a good strategy because Ben wasn't always prepared for a no-spin LP serve and he popped those up often. The question is, are you always prepared to loop the next ball? (I don't recall). Hard to serve LP, twiddle, and then loop? Or you can do you RPF....

I wonder if a TPB punch block with side will trouble him? Looks like it would.

Last, the high chops are often harder for people than low chops because the trajectory of the loop stroke at that height is different and they drive the ball into the net instead. You did that a few times in the video...exactly like I do. People don't practice looping at that height, and you don't really get any arc to clear the net. I've done multi-ball for this and it's gotten better, but I still have a long way to go. I have started aiming for the back of the table to good effect, that way if I hit it too flat, it still has a chance to hit the table and if I loop it, the arc brings it down, so more consistency either way.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I feel like you play his side spin serves as if they have more under than they do. There were a few that popped up as a result.
He also has a scoop motion at the last second sending you a side top serve. You looped them with too much lift and they went long or pushed them and they went high (I do this plenty too, so doctor heal thy self). You seemed to adjust to these in the 4th game very well, often mixing up LP returns and inverted returns...I think you put some of the LP returns in the net though.

Btw, cool and interesting style and you twiddle often to LP forehand!!! Very difficult.

Good point. I will fully admit I don't read his side/top serve very well. Particularly to my BH down the line serve. Every now & then I kinda punch or block those serves and put them in the net and I don't know why. But I will go back and look at the ones I popped up. Try to better determine with video the tells between side/back & side/top... When you play close to the table as I do and TPB block or TPB push down the line serves as I do as a lefty, I have to determine the spin quickly. I might try playing a pinch further off the table on serve a pinch. I sometimes like that for having that split second more time to read the spin, see the flight path, let the ball sink a little bit and soft loop a return. I do that all the time with my FH but on the BH, harder to do. I'll either have to get better with it on TPB or try it out duel inverted RPB.

Thanks. On the LP forehand. I've played a fair amount of shorts pips in my day and as long as I have a grippier LP with at least 1.0 sponge, I don't feel like the strokes are worlds apart.

Your pendulum serve were you hide the paddle behind your body on the backswing (not hiding the contact point, so perfectly legal) seems a good strategy because Ben wasn't always prepared for a no-spin LP serve and he popped those up often. The question is, are you always prepared to loop the next ball? (I don't recall). Hard to serve LP, twiddle, and then loop? Or you can do you RPF....

Yeah i can serve, twiddle and be ready for the 3rd ball. I'll try to keep this in mind.

I wonder if a TPB punch block with side will trouble him? Looks like it would.

I agree. My TPB block doesn't carry the same speed & spin as my FH does and sometimes I think he puts the ball in the net with this change of pace. I'll try this more to see how it goes.

Last, the high chops are often harder for people than low chops because the trajectory of the loop stroke at that height is different and they drive the ball into the net instead. You did that a few times in the video...exactly like I do. People don't practice looping at that height, and you don't really get any arc to clear the net. I've done multi-ball for this and it's gotten better, but I still have a long way to go. I have started aiming for the back of the table to good effect, that way if I hit it too flat, it still has a chance to hit the table and if I loop it, the arc brings it down, so more consistency either way.

Yeah I'll try to practice this at home more. There were a few points where I had a high ball smash that I put into the net that I should hit like 95% on but just didn't this game. I'll keep at it.

Thanks for the feedback.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Just messing around. When you play a weird twiddling style, you brainstorm all sorts of things. I mainly use it when kinda goofing off. For me at least it's much easier & more reliable to just twiddle real quick and then hit a normal FH.

There actually is a good player featured here who plays nothing but LP on the FH full time and whenever he attacks, it's with RPF.

This youtube channel as a handful of videos of him playing.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
"Long story short? I simply love penhold more. That's why I play it."

Good enough, that is all that matters!

True. I usually see the concept of playing penhold without a coach who plays penhold or has a deep knowledge of the grip as ice skating uphill but if you enjoy It, by all means do it since this is a hobby.