Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
What do you mean when you say "how it is " ... are you asking how to do Shadow Practice ? or how is it effective ? ... on shadow practice there are some videos made by @UpSideDownCarl , I checked his youtube channel and its not there but he has posted it multiple times in threads here, if you search on it a little bit you should be able to find it ...
I know shadow practicing effective but please some one explain how it is.
Thanks

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I wanted to say how it is effective.
What do you mean when you say "how it is " ... are you asking how to do Shadow Practice ? or how is it effective ? ... on shadow practice there are some videos made by @UpSideDownCarl , I checked his youtube channel and its not there but he has posted it multiple times in threads here, if you search on it a little bit you should be able to find it ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Visualization + footwork exercise + correcting and drilling in the form ... I believe ... and I have seen Pros like Ariel do it just before they start drilling with the coach , I believe it helps in warming up too ...
I wanted to say how it is effective.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Last night, I had to go home to cook dinner for kids, wife out with friends for a bday dinner, so no TT :( Despite no TT practice, I did TT in a different way.

42andbackpains mentioned that he was going to see Mr. Doon Wong at the Korean Club briefly and asked if i wanted to tag along and I did. I have not seen Mr. Wong for maybe 10 yrs if not more. He opened the TT club in an old firehouse in NYC Chinatown in 1979 or early 80's where 42andbackpains and I used to play as kids. He and his daughters coached me a little.

"Uncle Doon" is a friend of my family and back in the day he and my mother's brother used to play TT together.

I am pretty sure anyone in the NYC TT scene will know/know of Mr. Wong.

20180418_181652.jpg

After the pic, (wished Der_Echte was there to translate) we chatted up the 2 hotties in the background and got their digits LOL j/k!!

p.s. 42andbackpains is my witness, I asked 80 yr old Uncle Doon for 9 points!!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Nothing extraordinary to report about last night. Intended to play matches but saw no one waiting on one of the coaches' tables and 2 coaches were hitting. Waited my turn and got to hit with a coach i've hit with before. He knows I can block him steadily enough and he started FH looping and I worked on the feel and touch needed on my FH block. Still not there yet in knowing how Donic is for my strokes ... slowly but surely getting used to it. It's less bouncy for me than Tenergy and I can control it a bit more than the Tenergy rubbers I've used.

We hit for 2 30 mins sessions. I wanted to try to RPB with him, but I couldn't stay long, had something to do for my daughter. In between sessions, watched a double-side LP chopper with a 2200 or 2300 SH player and a SP PH with that same chopper. Very fun to watch! As I missed TT on Weds, seeing if my family lets me out for either Sat or Sun for a few hours.

Hoping all the net and edge balls go your way DTT CCers!

This user has no status.
yesterday i went to play to the club and played a quite younger ex-teammate with which i don't play so much these days. I felt I improved against him the last few times i played, but still couldn't beat him, and hadn't beaten him in years (and it was maybe only less than 10% perhaps).

Well, I think he was below his best, but after drilling for 1 hour, we went for a match, and I beat him 3-2. but actually despite being full set, i was the more dominant, as i won the 1st 3,-5,-9,2,7 [if my memory is good]. I played really well in the sets that I won, especially on my serve game. Few misses, good 3rd ball attacks, good blocks...The sets i lost was when i made too many weak receives or receive miss.

He asked for a rematch, I was a bit tired and i felt we both played a bit worse than the 1st match, but the result was about the same. I also think the fact we drilled for an hour helped me a lot to get used to his ball. He's PH with short pips, usually i don't like this kind of style.

So its another good training session, i hope I will beam of confidence in our Sunday (team) tournament. :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Last night, I had to go home to cook dinner for kids, wife out with friends for a bday dinner, so no TT :( Despite no TT practice, I did TT in a different way.

42andbackpains mentioned that he was going to see Mr. Doon Wong at the Korean Club briefly and asked if i wanted to tag along and I did. I have not seen Mr. Wong for maybe 10 yrs if not more. He opened the TT club in an old firehouse in NYC Chinatown in 1979 or early 80's where 42andbackpains and I used to play as kids. He and his daughters coached me a little.

"Uncle Doon" is a friend of my family and back in the day he and my mother's brother used to play TT together.

I am pretty sure anyone in the NYC TT scene will know/know of Mr. Wong.

View attachment 16142

After the pic, (wished Der_Echte was there to translate) we chatted up the 2 hotties in the background and got their digits LOL j/k!!

p.s. 42andbackpains is my witness, I asked 80 yr old Uncle Doon for 9 points!!
There is always conventional phone or Facebook call. I am 4 hrs behind your time zone, so you wouldn't be waking me up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Tim Bergling, AKA Avicii died today. For the longest time his song "Wake Me Up" was basically the unofficial anthem of the ITTF World Tour, always playing in between matches. Every time I hear it on the radio, I think of table tennis.

28 is way too young to go

From http://variety.com/2018/music/news/avicii-dead-at-28-1202772767/:

[FONT=&quot]He had retired from live performing in 2016, citing health reasons. He had suffered from health problems for several years, including acute pancreatitis, in part due to excessive drinking. He had his gallbladder and appendix removed in 2014.[/FONT]

RIP Avicii

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
Yesterday we had the last match of the season and we needed a win in order to get 1st place and advance directly (otherwise we would need to play relegation). We obviously gathered a lot of friends and players from our club, around 25 were watching and cheering for us.

We managed to lead 2-1 after doubles, but sadly for me the whole atmosphere really got to my nerves and I lost my first game 1-3. The important thing in this match was that player 5+6 would go 4:0 because their opponents should be weaker, but we only went 2-2! That was really bad and worrying.

It all came down to the last doubles match between me, our #1 and their #2 and #3. After a weak first set, we took home the next 2 sets decisively and had the match point at 10-9 but blew it. We had another chance at 13:12 and had a lucky net ball for the win :D An 8-8 would not have been enough, phew.

I gathered enough points to play at position 2 next season which makes me very happy :>

This user has no status.
Yesterday we had the last match of the season and we needed a win in order to get 1st place and advance directly (otherwise we would need to play relegation). We obviously gathered a lot of friends and players from our club, around 25 were watching and cheering for us.

We managed to lead 2-1 after doubles, but sadly for me the whole atmosphere really got to my nerves and I lost my first game 1-3. The important thing in this match was that player 5+6 would go 4:0 because their opponents should be weaker, but we only went 2-2! That was really bad and worrying.

It all came down to the last doubles match between me, our #1 and their #2 and #3. After a weak first set, we took home the next 2 sets decisively and had the match point at 10-9 but blew it. We had another chance at 13:12 and had a lucky net ball for the win :D An 8-8 would not have been enough, phew.

I gathered enough points to play at position 2 next season which makes me very happy :>

the video of the match point !!!! please !!! congrats ! thats a way to finish a match with style !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
the video of the match point !!!! please !!! congrats ! thats a way to finish a match with style !

I don't think there is a video of it, but it was very unspectacular :D Everybody in the hall was ready to burst out in cheers but that kinda killed the moment :D

This user has no status.
%$#^! I smashed/bruised the middle finger on my playing hand in an accident, and playing penhold is unbearable with it. I can't pendulum serve properly either!

Guess I'm playing shakehand and developing my tomahawk serve for the next few nights. It's gunna be a looong week of losing 11-0 haha.

This user has no status.
Thanks! Actually it turns out I could hold the bat with straight fingers (like Xu Xin), so after a couple of games playing shakehand I went with that and played well.

Played a couple of good games of doubles, and also got to hit with a guy who uses chops and chop blocks (very rare in my club so I was happy for that opportunity)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Today I struggled to decide whether I should bring my new rubber to the store to have it glued or do it myself.
The cost isn't a problem, as I am keen to do it but also scared to screw up as the rubber is quite valuable to me. I also feel the store owners would be able to cut the edges better than me as they have alot more experience.

I've only glued rubber once by myself previously. I decided to give it another go after 1 year.

I applied a thin layer of glue on my blade, but perhaps I applied too little, or I was too slow in spreading it across the blade surface, the glue hardened up already when I attempted to spread them out to the edge! Little bumps formed! So I had to get rid of the glue, and then start all over again.

In my second attempt, I applied more glue than before. It seemed to work out fine, where I was able to spread the glue to the edge of the blade without screwing up the glue surface.
I then did it for the rubber as well.

I then used a hair dryer to hasten the process a bit. Then I attached the blade with the rubber.

Now comes the bit that I am worried about. The cutting of the rubber.

Previously, the end result of the rubber was very irregular, with bits sticking out which made it very difficult to stick on an edge tape. During the process, I used a cutter, and I had to go 3-4 times at the same spot to get through the whole rubber.

This time, I only had to go 2 times at the same spot to get through the whole rubber. And surprisingly, the edges were all smooth! Applying the edge tape was very easy this time.

Now that the rubber is on, I am ready to try it out tomorrow at the club tomorrow, which I am able to go as it is a public holiday.